• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2015: It's beginning to look a lot like chaos!

SkyOdin

Get to the library -> fight first battle -> everyone immediately gains a level to level 15

>_<

Ugh, I'm in the same boat. Just made it to the Island Shrine and three of my party members level up to 25, so half the enemies in the damn dungeon can near-wipe my party. Thankfully I have Arise on Lenna, but I'm just reviving people so they can be wiped out again. Argh.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Archeoaevis went down easily enough.

Jobs for this run: Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, Chemist

Because, you know, I totally needed a Chemist with these other jobs. Yep. They aren't good enough as it is, so I need something to make them even better.

I suppose the downside is that I'm going to need to grind some to get turtle shells, and later dragon fangs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That is a stupidly powerful team by Fiesta standards. I mean, I have both White Mage and Chemist and I'm still jealous.

Just have to figure out how to tackle Omega. I think with sufficient mixing and flame rings/shields it should be doable.

Been steamrolling the game so far, as expected with a set of jobs like this. Haven't even taken advantage of Mix yet, but I did a little grinding in Bal Castle to get it on three characters. Faris is going for Dual Wield which might find itself situationally useful on Mystic Knight.

Taking a break outside Drakenvale.

I've never fought an Archeoavis so feeble. One single Wing Attack and never again attacked the rest of the fight. For a moment I thought maybe I had glitched the game or something. All I did was attack it phisically, never resorting to a single spell.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Godlike party is up to the crystals. They shouldn't be an issue, but I want to beat Exdeath here. I know you technically can't, but I want Galuf to not hit 0 HP. It's that meteor that ruins it, have to deal with it somehow.

Yeah... tried 3 times and Aegis Shield never seems to work.

Ri'Orius

Alright, got a late start, but I just beat Archeoavis and have my four jobs: White Mage, Time Mage, Beastmaster and Dragoon.

Things were kinda painful up 'til now just due to low damage output. I never had any real trouble with crazy healing/support, it was just annoying. Dragoon should be a big help in that department, plus I'll get !Lance goodness. Should be pretty smooth sailing from here.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
w7EyDDf.png

Gil Turtle down, even though it doesn't count for anything. Mystic Knight was the offense with Blizzaga Blade. Boosted her level and hitpoints, and had image up to avoid attacks. Lots of misses, but when I hit it was 1600-1700 damage. Used Elven Mantles and Main Gauches to dodge as well.

Ninja used image and acted as a backup support, Chemist performed chemistry, healed, and defended.

Blue Mage just died because I didn't have Image on another character. Tried using Spellblade for more damage, but it took too much effort to keep him alive.

Just need to do Exdeath's Castle and I'm done with world 2. Going to grind for some dragon fangs first though.

Boney

Banned
Archeoaevis went down easily enough.

Jobs for this run: Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, Chemist

Because, you know, I totally needed a Chemist with these other jobs. Yep. They aren't good enough as it is, so I need something to make them even better.
That's even worse than my mystic knight, bard, ranger and samurai team

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to get White Wind from a Hellraiser since this is my first opportunity to learn it. Dancing Dagger absolutely does not want to use Tempting Tango, and I'm seeing more non-boosted Sword Dances than I ever have before. Figures. If I was fighting a boss half my attacks would be tangos.

That's even worse than my mystic knight, bard, ranger and samurai team

They're pretty close. Ninja and Samurai are pretty even, but Blue + Chemist are a bit better than Ranger + Bard. Ranger in particular, I'd say it's a tier lower than the others (still a great job though).

World 2 Exdeath was pretty easy, unsurprisingly. Just a matter of using Mix and getting buffs up, once they are there he can't really do much other than Dispell.

Link Man

Banned
So final job list for this run is Blue/Ranger/Samurai/Samurai. Which means one Samurai is gonna have !RapidFire Chicken Knife.

On to World 2! After stocking up at Lix, I headed for the Warp. To beat Abductor, Bartz just used Death Claw and an Attack. The scenes occurred, and Galuf was a lone Blue Mage. Galuf went up to Gilgamesh, hit him with Missile, and ended the battle as soon as it began. The second battle with Gilgamesh was also pretty easy, as his Goblin Punch revealed that he was the same level as some of my characters, so I hit him with a Goblin Punch of my own, instantly taking the battle to phase 2. A few more attacks, and it was over. Off to Regole, where I played a piano, bought some next level Black Magic spells, and picked up Transfusion from the confused Biostrises. Next was the T-Rex. I didn't want to waste a Phoenix Down, so I hit it with Fira and Flamethrower until it fell. Grabbed the Moogle Village items, and did some grinding in Castle Bal's basement (Thanks Lv. 5 Death!).

Next Quest: Drakenvale AKA Bard-town, once I get Requiem from the werewolf village

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Omega is a dick. Finally got set up to actually deal damage, and then he did two back to back wave cannons.

Don't think I've ever been so happy to hear that victory theme.

DBH1Kq3.png

He sure didn't go down without a fight though. I think part of my victory is owed to the extremely fortunate start I had, beginning with a preemptive strike, then his early turns went in my favor so I was able to sufficiently set myself up.

Used White Wind to counter Wave Cannon. I'd keep my HP up, and after a wave cannon I'd toss a high potion on the Blue Mage, then use White Wind to restore everyone. That was the biggest concern since it came out so frequently. Only a few Mustard Bombs showed up, those were also an instant KO on a character. Rainbow Wind did basically nothing since only one person was attacking. Delta Attack was obviously trouble, but it got reflected almost every time.

First time beating Omega in an actual showdown and not with some Sing/Calm shenanigans.

Cleared everything in the rift up to Neo Exdeath, with the exception of Shinryu. Other than Omega nothing was remotely threatening.

Left to resupply chemistry stuff. Need to get some Dragon Fangs since I depleted most of what I got before on Omega.

Shinryu should be easy. Image + Berserk via Wonder Wand. Chemist can try to mix Dark Sigh to blind it too.

neoemonk

In world 2 and I have a Beastmaster. I want to grind on Shield Dragons for a little while but the problem is I have two berserkers. I've been killing them off and having two party members gain from the XP and then switching jobs but I'm wondering if there's another way to disable them. My other class is Ranger.

Ourobolus

Banned
In world 2 and I have a Beastmaster. I want to grind on Shield Dragons for a little while but the problem is I have two berserkers. I've been killing them off and having two party members gain from the XP and then switching jobs but I'm wondering if there's another way to disable them. My other class is Ranger.

It's not perfect, but maybe blinding them with the Dark Bow?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Almost too easy.

vqn6kPf.png

Mystic Knight was the dedicated mixer, so I loaded up with evasion equipment. Main Gauche, Genji Shield, and an Elven Mantle, along with a Mirage Vest just in case an attack did get through. Only really needed two mixes, haste for himself, and Dark Sigh on Shinryu. Fortunately, I hit Dark Sigh on the first shot. With that done I swapped to the Assassin Dagger and use Flare Blade.

Everyone else had Image to avoid attacks, though it ended up unnecessary since Dark Sigh hit so quick. Ninja had the Twin Lance/Chicken Knife combo, Blue Mage opened with the Wonder Wand then swapped to an Air Knife for boosted Aeroga. Chemist was intended to be support with items and just had a Main Gauche for evasion, but ended up doing nothing.

s21aSZo.png

I probably don't even need to list off what I did here because it's so straightforward. I'm not sure there is a set of jobs that neutralizes Exdeath/Neo Exdeath better than this one. Maaaaaybe Bard over Blue Mage for sing? Debatable, perhaps.

Now I really wish I had taken the effort to beat Omega on my first run. My laziness :( Had I done that I'd have cleared both superbosses on all four runs so far.

neoemonk

Blinding berserkers to try to stop them from hitting a controlled monster doesn't really work that great. They still hit frequently. It's better to just kill them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Doing a no750 run and calling it quits for a while.

Thief for the Wind job. Could be great or disappointing depending on what jobs I get later.

The dagger grind is probably the worst part of getting Thief. Constantly running into Carcruthls though so I'm stocking up on potions too, at least.

And Galuf isn't much of a gentleman, taking the bed for himself when you rest on the boat (or maybe it's tied to party order).

Had to grind to beat Magissa and Forza, Drain was a 1HKO, Tackle was usually a 1HKO, and I'd end up quickly getting in a situation where I was spending as many turns using Phoenix Downs as I was attacking and dealing 15 damage.

Went much smoother at level 10.

All those potions I've hoarded, this is what they were for. Used nearly all of them (around 30) on Garula. Fortunately, I'll be stealing high potions soon so it doesn't matter.

Berserker for the Water crystal, which has the potential to be nice. I have a 1/3 shot of the library completely sucking, but whatever my Fire job is should be good. Beastmaster would be really gimped by Berserker though.

Liquid Flame used up all my Phoenix Downs and a lot of the potions I stole. It's that counter from the hand form that is a pain, once it is out of MP everything went smoothly.

Ninja for the Fire job. That was probably the ideal job from this crystal. Ranger would have been good too, but it would make the library a pain. Beastmaster is good, but less so when combined with Berserker.

Kaelin

Neo Member
http://postimg.org/image/sxq69ntxj/

L38 Red + Time + Beastmaster + Geo took down NED. Their HP wasn't shabby (1200s to 1500s), but it wasn't enough to take a full blast of Almagest. Nevertheless, I had some things come through for me:

* Beastmaster (Crystelle release) gave Mighty Guard. This is a finite use ability, but I only needed it once.
* GBA version. This helps with Meteor.
* Time Mage (using DualCast) delivers 5x Meteor. Meteor isn't great, but getting 5 is nothing to sneeze at, and there's bound to be one character who is better off tossing Hi-Potions or Elixirs instead of attacking.
* Elixirs. I had just enough levels to use full-on Meteors twice with Krile with the full load of MP (using Gold Hairpin), but obviously I was going to need more.
* Beast Killer sadly didn't work against the bottom middle. It does seem to stun the top middle part, and while I didn't use it much properly in the fight, it should be effective in blocking Grand Cross (preventing status effects like Petrify and Death that take away Mighty Guard). As it was, I didn't wait long enough to see Grand Cross anyway.
* Magic Lamp. This is always awesome, but it also reduces the number of targets that Meteor has to hit.

This party has a lot of weaknesses, but !Time makes safe navigation not terribly difficult after getting Teleport and Return, and !Time + DualCast is an excellent means of converting Elixirs into fast damage when someone really needs it. If I had released three Zuu, I may have even been able to avoid the Almagest phase, but this was a pretty rapid kill in spite of that (assuming one is measuring the number of turns allowed to the enemy and not the eternity spent running the Meteor animations). For an $8 run with four jobs I'm not particularly fond of, it wasn't too shabby of a run.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dragoon for the Earth job.

I was so confident I was going to get Dragoon I made the effort to steal a Javelin while I was in the desert.

Shinryu is basically already dead with Ninja+Dragoon, I've killed it with that combo before. Omega... I'm not sure it's going to happen with this group.

Now if only Titan would stop being a spoil sport and give me the Gaia Hammer. Feels like I've reset 50 times now.

qfwDHpF.png

FINALLY And it was the Dragoon who stole it, not even the Thief.

SYFENub.png

Poor Gilgamesh just isn't catching any breaks on my runs.

Ourobolus

Banned
UNGH I feel screwed.

I just got: Knight, Red Mage, Bard, and DANCER.

Jeesh, can I win with this party? Damn.
Yes. 3 of those classes are fantastic.
Red Mage is meh.

Knight with Sword Dance?
Dancer with !Sing?
Equip Ribbon?

You'll be buffing stats and doing tons of single-target damage.

agradine

UNGH I feel screwed.

I just got: Knight, Red Mage, Bard, and DANCER.

Jeesh, can I win with this party? Damn.

Not only can you beat the game, you can beat both bonus bosses. Just hang on to your Coral Sword, and make sure you get every song for Bard. Bard essentially has an instant win button for 90% of random encounters.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not only can you beat the game, you can beat both bonus bosses. Just hang on to your Coral Sword, and make sure you get every song for Bard. Bard essentially has an instant win button for 90% of random encounters.

Yep, Sing beats Omega. Have everyone loaded up with Hermes Sandals and sing Romeo's Ballad while the Knight swings a two-handed Coral Sword.

Knight beats Shinryu. Get everyone to low HP before the fight so you can use Guard+Cover, have the Red Mage open the Wonder Wand to Berserk it. Then the Bard can do the killing with Apollo's Harp.

Grinding for a while in Bal Castle, I want a Berserker with Dual Wield. Stole 3 Twin Lances pretty quickly, took maybe 50 steals. I'll probably keep stealing for those common hi potions.

zashga

Finally got to the final world tonight. My party this year is pretty easy going, but I'm still finding little things I never noticed before. Like, thundaga insta-kills the golems in Exdeath's castle. Doesn't even pop up damage numbers. Neat. Also, break sword insta-kills Jackanapes even if you hit him with it for zero damage.

Pyramid's next. Then I can get flare and meteor and win the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't feel like Meteor is worth the time unless you really need it as an offensive option. It's expensive and unreliable, especially against multiple enemies. But if you're in a party like Monk/Time/Geo/Dragoon it's probably a good idea to get it.

I've had Time Mage twice this year, once I got Meteor and didn't even use it, the other time I just skipped it entirely. But I've had pretty sick jobs in every run so far. Current one is the worst of the lot, but it's not bad. I don't think any party with a Ninja can be bad.

Link Man

Banned
Finally got to the final world tonight. My party this year is pretty easy going, but I'm still finding little things I never noticed before. Like, thundaga insta-kills the golems in Exdeath's castle. Doesn't even pop up damage numbers. Neat. Also, break sword insta-kills Jackanapes even if you hit him with it for zero damage.

Pyramid's next. Then I can get flare and meteor and win the game.

Actually, with !Spellblade, the -aga spells instakill anytime you hit an enemy weakness (as long as it's not a boss).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, with !Spellblade, the -aga spells instakill anytime you hit an enemy weakness (as long as it's not a boss).

Heavy enemies, lots of bosses are actually not Heavy. And some normal enemies are, including some random as hell ones like the Cactus enemies in the world 2 deserts (that you should never see anyway).

Link Man

Banned
Heavy enemies, lots of bosses are actually not Heavy. And some normal enemies are, including some random as hell ones like the Cactus enemies in the world 2 deserts (that you should never see anyway).

Hmm, but are there any non-heavy bosses that have elemental weaknesses after you get the -aga spells?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, but are there any non-heavy bosses that have elemental weaknesses after you get the -aga spells?

The three enemies in the Trench boss fight have elemental weaknesses and aren't heavy. I think only two can be hit by Spellblade though, the last is Wind or something.

I don't know of any others though, so I suppose the more relevant point would be that a lot of the stronger late-game non-boss monsters are heavy too so even with elemental weaknesses, Spellblade won't one shot them.

ccbfan

Haven't got much time to play but finally got to fire crystal jobs in my Chaos run..

Last time I finally got my first job which is summoner.

I bought all the starter magic which is something I have never done before since I always avoid them for a better random free summon. Went into shiva and hoped for the best (I have never used the first 3 magics before).

Slyph is awesome. 4 summoners spamming this magic made the battle a joke. easily destroyed Shiva and got my first major summon.

Also auto battle in the new IOS FF5 is awesome. I preset everything to auto summon shiva and for some reason if makes me go first every time. So basically I was destroying regular battles taking no damage.

So I got to the fire town went through a bunch of story wtuff and went to the fire ship. Easily plowed through and destroyed the fire boos with shiva. Escaped the castle with auto battle shiva and destroyed the boss before it even turns.

Yay fire jobs.

And my fire job is?????????

Bard.

Ehh. Its a really good job but this is the 3rd time I rolled this job, but at least I finally get to use my geomancer (Water job) which I've never used. Also with summon as a secondary skill no jobs is bad unless you get Berserker.

Ourobolus

Banned
Also auto battle in the new IOS FF5 is awesome. I preset everything to auto summon shiva and for some reason if makes me go first every time. So basically I was destroying regular battles taking no damage.

This really is the main reason I like the iOS version, despite the graphics.

Link Man

Banned
Haven't got much time to play but finally got to fire crystal jobs in my Chaos run..

Last time I finally got my first job which is summoner.

I bought all the starter magic which is something I have never done before since I always avoid them for a better random free summon. Went into shiva and hoped for the best (I have never used the first 3 magics before).

Slyph is awesome. 4 summoners spamming this magic made the battle a joke. easily destroyed Shiva and got my first major summon.

So I got to the fire town went through a bunch of story wtuff and went to the fire ship. Easily plowed through and destroyed the fire boos with shiva. Escaped the castle with auto battle shiva and destroyed the boss before it even turns.

Yay fire jobs.

And my fire job is?????????

Bard.

Ehh. Its a really good job but this is the 3rd time I rolled this job, but at least I finally get to use my geomancer (Water job) which I've never used. Also with summon as a secondary skill no jobs is bad unless you get Berserker.

Summon is actually really good for a Berserker using the Gaia Hammer or Rune Axe.

ccbfan

This really is the main reason I like the iOS version, despite the graphics.

My only real complaint is the terrible touch pad for movement.

The graphics are not too bad. The enemy sprint improvements are great. The character suck but ehh, they were never the highlight of old school final fantasy graphics.

The UI improvement are nice and the the new auto save and auto battle features alone make this a much better game.

So I'm not doing the FJF but I just started the ios FFV for the first time. How do I steal the boat (like 10 minutes into the game)? I'm standing next to the ship's wheel and I can't interact with it.

It's been a while since I've tried to do Omniscient with no spellcasters. Turns out having a Ninja makes it a bit faster, since you get two chances for a reflect per turn instead of one.

Took a forced break when my laptops charger went out of commission. I'm back now dealing with Atomos with Chemist/Dancer/Dragoon/Red Mage. I may need to load up on more mixing ingredients so I can do bigger damage. General tactics for this crew?

Link Man

Banned
Took a forced break when my laptops charger went out of commission. I'm back now dealing with Atomos with Chemist/Dancer/Dragoon/Red Mage. I may need to load up on more mixing ingredients so I can do bigger damage. General tactics for this crew?
You can put him to sleep, at least.

AxelRyman

Neo Member
Run #9 complete. Red Mage/Geomancer/Ranger/Samurai

Struggled with Twintania initially cause Rapid Fire could trigger multiple Tidal Waves, and at least 2 was a game over for me, even with Samurai's Aegis Shield. And I had no Coral Rings, which was funny. Funny cause I got 2 in Exdeath's Castle from Thunder Dragons. And I sold them. Thankfully there's on in the area before Omega so I grabbed that one, threw it on Ranger Faris, then used Masamune to give her Haste. TwinTania didn't survive after that.

And then I got to Neo Exdeath. That moment you realize you never grabbed the Magic Lamp. Thankfully Zeninage is a thing. Even though I was only dealing about 2500 each use.

Now to take a day of rest.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Do reflect mages not have a common steal, or just a rare reflect ring? Stealing would probably be a lot easier than farming reflect knights since I won't need rings for the crystals.

Top Bottom