• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can directly control anyone at any time. Direct control, you switch to the character and start using that one. How is that not full party control?

I'm not talking about KH. KH has only one playable character at a time and any teammates are controlled by AI. Star Ocean you can change at any time, FFType-0 you can change at any time, etc etc.

Because there's still action going on in the background. Having full control means directing EVERYTHING your characters do. If a playable character attacks in a playable scenario without the player hitting a button, it's not full party control.

If you switch characters, then the character you were using is now doing things without your input.

The ONLY way you can have direct, complete control over every character in an ARPG is turning off the A.I. and switching to different characters to have them act, which is absolutely pointless in a realtime battle system where the enemy is always moving and attacking no matter what you do.

Godcannon

If your party members are acting without your input, then it isn't full party control. No matter how well you can direct the A.I., it's still not total control. Star Ocean, Tales, Kingdom Hearts and all other ARPGs are like this.

Having control over a single character in your party at any time is different than having control over your full party at any/all times.

Ok but You still switch between characters however you like and in cases like XII, you can even predetermine what they react to and how how they attack. Isn't that full control over a party?

Kingdom Hearts and XV are more the same with an action rpg Single player game and buddies that help.

FFVII has a borderline optional cast selection, and unless they scrap an ungodcannonly amount of story, you will have to be able to play as most if not all characters.

Zukuu

Banned
Seriously? Playing 13 "right" (I.e., getting A ranks and finishing battles in under 6+ minutes) requires a great deal more planning, timing, and on-your-feet thinking than anything in 7 outside of the weapons. And turtle toppling is as hard or harder than handling the weapons prior to over-leveling. 7 does most things better than 13, but providing consistent challenge in battles is not one of them.
Seriously? Playing 7 "right" (I.e. finishing battles with 100% hp, mana effiency, low level and finishing battles in under 2 minutes) requires a great deal more planning, timing and on-your-feet thinking than anything in 13...

Dude, really?

Ok but You still switch between characters however you like and in cases like XII, you can even predetermine what they react to and how how they attack. Isn't that full control over a party?

Kingdom Hearts and XV are more the same with an action rpg Single player game and buddies that help.

FFVII has a borderline optional cast selection, and unless they scrap an ungodcannonly amount of story, you will have to be able to play as most if not all characters.

I wouldn't call FFXII direct full party control unless you turn off gambits. Even if there are a lot of options to set things beforehand, it's still automated.

Steel

Banned
You can directly control anyone at any time. Direct control, you switch to the character and start using that one. How is that not full party control?

I'm not talking about KH. KH has only one playable character at a time and any teammates are controlled by AI. Star Ocean you can change at any time, FFType-0 you can change at any time, etc etc.

That's not full party control. You're not controlling every action of every character in your group, you're only controlling some. If you want to point to a real time system with full party control, go to KOTOR. You can pause and queue up actions for all your allies so they're doing exactly what you want them to at every moment. Though, technically, KOTOR is just turn-based with timers like FF 7 but does a better job of hiding it. Character switching is in no way, shape, or form full party control.

Godcannon

That's not full party control. You're not controlling every action of every character in your group, you're only controlling some. If you want to point to a real time system with full party control, go to KOTOR. You can pause and queue up actions for all your allies so they're doing exactly what you want them to at every moment. Though, technically, KOTOR is just turn-based with timers like FF 7 but does a better job of hiding it. Character switching is in no way, shape, or form is full party control.

But you are though. You do control every member of your group that is currently engaged in battle. You can summon, gaurd, heal, attack, (strategize) etc etc with each individual character while they are engaged in the fight, and can even change what they are doing mid battle depending on the situation. Does that make sense? Or am I missing something.

Steel

Banned
But you are though. You do control every member of your group that is currently engaged in battle. You can summon, gaurd, heal, attack, (strategize) etc etc with each individual character while they are engaged in the fight, and can even change what they are doing mid battle depending on the situation. Does that make sense? Or am I missing something.

You're missing simultaneous control, there's absolutely none of that. Only controlling one member at a time is the exact opposite of full party control.

Godcannon

You're missing simultaneous control, there's absolutely none of that. Only controlling one member at a time is the exact opposite of full party control.

What's a game that is actually full party control? You said KOTOR was close but wasn't. I just can't think of a game that has anything more than just some form of control over your party to delegate the gameplay. Unless we had two extra arms I don't see how you could simultaneously control + characters without some way of switching through them.

ctothej

Seriously? Playing 7 "right" (I.e. finishing battles with 100% hp, mana effiency, low level and finishing battles in under 2 minutes) requires a great deal more planning, timing and on-your-feet thinking than anything in 13...

Dude, really?

Except if you don't play XIII "right," you get a ton of game overs, even during random encounters. In VII, it really doesn't matter what you do. You basically spam the same attacks/magic over and over and heal between battles. The only time you're remotely at risk of dying is boss battles.

Seriously? Playing 7 "right" (I.e. not getting hit, low level and finishing battles in under 2 minutes) requires a great deal more planning, timing and on-your-feet thinking than anything in 13...

Dude, really?

Bit of a false equivalency I think. You can of course come up with whatever set of arbitrary challenges you like to skew the balance of anything. But 7 and 13 were just designed with a different basic challenge curve, and trying to finish 13's regular battles in an amount of time comparable to random battles from other FFs really isn't the same thing as a challenge run.

To comfortably get through all the non optional content in 7 except demon wall and maybe Seph, with minimal challenge and frustration, you can just use a basic mix of attacks, summons, and LBs on pretty much everything (obviously Weapons not included), no fancy strategy, no precise timing required. You can put extra work into thinking up cool Materia combos that will overpower you, but even without doing so most people I've talked to who played it (who are certainly not power gamers) saw very few game overs, and didn't find the game challenging (of course this isn't to say some may not have found it challenging, just haven't encountered many of them).

It's true that rav/com/med will get you through a chunk of 13, but it will lead to time out losses against plenty of bosses, and will result in incredibly drawn out and frustrating regular battles, particularly in the back half of the game. Which is likely why many folks I know who tried it hit a wall and quit on a boss they couldn't beat. To make the game feel comfortable, you pretty much HAVE to use more advanced strategies (atb refresh, careful management of buffs and debuffs, unusual paradigms like tri-sentinel or tri-rav). Note, I think this is a design flaw, because minimal planning and heavy use of auto-battle will get you through a good chunk of the game (though as others have noted this becomes far less viable after reaching pulse, a difficulty spike not mirrored anywhere in 7). So, many people take the easy (and boring, seriously, some of those battles go on forever) route, stick with med/rav/com and maybe rav/rav/com, and then find, not surprisingly, that the battles are boring, drawn out, and, at first, mindlessly easy.

See I think 13 was designed at first to be challenging, but they worried people wouldn't put in the effort, so they rebalanced it around time - playing the battle system the way it genuinely feels to have been designed rewards you with faster more engaging battles. But it's not sign posted, and it's not really necessary for much if the game. I think this because most random battles in the back half of the game require 6+ minutes with auto-battle and basic strategy, and no sane person would design random battles that take this long. Play them carefully, and many can be cut to a minute or less. Which is much more in line with the basic approach random battle length in the rest of the series.

7 is still fun to play without a ton of planning/thought. Random battles are fast and snappy, and much of the enjoyment in battle is from spectacle (summons, LBs). And, of course, there are the very challenging side battles that require combat mastery (which honestly is almost entirely Materia combo tactics). None of this is true of 13.

So, all in all. I really do think 7s battle system is better tuned.

But 13s is a lot harder. Many bosses require unconventional tactics, and normal encounters do too if you don't want them to drag on forever. If you put in the effort, 13's system is more engaging and rewarding than 7s. And again I say this as someone who prefers 7.

This is also true of Lightning Returns, but is not true of 13-2, which sacrificed the tactical depth of the first game in response to lots of complaints about difficulty in 13.

Edit: much more economically, what he said ^

What's a game that is actually full party control? You said KOTOR was close but wasn't. I just can't think of a game that has anything more than just some form of control over your party to delegate the gameplay. Unless we had two extra arms I don't see how you could simultaneously control + characters without some way of switching through them.

Well in the case of turned-based combat, party members "wait" for their command so you are essentially giving simultaneous orders during each "turn", just not at the same moment in time. It's definitely interesting and fun in some games, but I would still like to see full real-time control for a given character.

I wouldn't call FFXII direct full party control unless you turn off gambits. Even if there are a lot of options to set things beforehand, it's still automated.

In FFXII, absolutely nothing your party members do is something you don't tell them to do, down to the tiniest actions. I think that's the very definition of complete full party control.

Steel

Banned

I didn't say KOTOR was close. It had full party control. You can control absolutely every action of every character at all times, simultaneously.

All turn based games also give you full party control, no character acts without your input(well, Persona 3 didn't, but that aside).

Just let Nomura (re)make the game he wants to (re)make.

Extremely talented, with great vision and strong execution of dynamic battle systems in the games he made.(KH)

Two Words

Neither 13 or 7 were difficult at all. I played through a large chunk of FF13 by just mashing attack without even looking at the screen.

Zukuu

Banned
Except if you don't play XIII "right," you get a ton of game overs, even during random encounters. In VII, it really doesn't matter what you do. You basically spam the same attacks/magic over and over and heal between battles. The only time you're remotely at risk of dying is boss battles.
What? I died exactly ONE time in the entire game. Against the last side mission guy, because I didn't had TRESOR paradigm equipped. That's it. I beat him with ease on my second try. Next to the auto play, you also fully heal between fights and have no mana afair, limited equipment choices... yeah super deep. You don't even have a remote chance at dying in boss battles. How is that harder again?

Run with Sentinel - Healer and Commander and you can play most of the game with an auto-firepad. Sentinel - Commander - Ravager works too and is a lot faster, but less safe.

Tell me again how you can win FF VII with "auto attack". LMAO

I honestly wouldn't say turn based like the original game was full control of anyone. You can tell them what to do but you had no control over if they actually hit, if they dodged or blocked or when they cover an ally being attacked. At least an action RPG gives you full control over one person unlike that which is more like having 10% control over 3 different people. I really don't consider having an RNG determining all of those things having full control.

What? I died exactly ONE time in the entire game. Against the last side mission guy, because I didn't had TRESOR paradigm equipped. That's it. I beat him with ease on my second try. Next to the auto play, you also fully heal between fights and have no mana afair, limited equipment choices... yeah super deep. You don't even have a remote chance at dying in boss battles. How is that harder again?

Run with Sentinel - Healer and Commander and you can play most of the game with an auto-firepad. Sentinel - Commander - Ravager works too and is a lot faster, but less safe.

Tell me again how you can win FF VII with "auto attack". LMAO

That... Doesn't sound very much like my time with the game (and sen hea com is incredibly slow to break and does nothing to exploit break when it happens. How long were random battles in Pulse taking you with a one paradigm auto battle approach? Plenty of the marks aren't even possible with that approach).

And the equipment choices are hardly more limited than 7. No Materia, but the weapons and accessories have hidden properties that lead to a ton of different synergies that feed into different possible team builds, many of which play very differently and work much better or worse for different enemy groups.

But that aside, I'm curious what about 7 makes it difficult. Attack, attack, heal, attack, attack heal, LB, repeat will get you through almost every battle, and is comparable to auto battle. I did not die once in 7 until I first tried the weapons, and I wasn't doing much more than that 95% of the time.

Ee, a lot of the marks in Pulse would be impossible to beat with only this strategy. Heck you couldn't even beat some chapters of the storyline with this strategy.

Zukuu

Banned
That... Doesn't sound very much like my time with the game (and sen hea com is incredibly slow to break and does nothing to exploit break when it happens. How long were random battles in Pulse taking you with a one paradigm auto battle approach? Plenty of the marks aren't even possible with that approach).

And the equipment choices are hardly more limited than 7. No Materia, but the weapons and accessories have hidden properties that lead to a ton of different synergies that feed into different possible team builds, many of which play very differently and work much better or worse for different enemy groups.

But that aside, I'm curious what about 7 makes it difficult. Attack, attack, heal, attack, attack heal, LB, repeat will get you through almost every battle, and is comparable to auto battle. I did not die once in 7 until I first tried the weapons, and I wasn't doing much more than that 95% of the time.
A game that requires you to use a strategy in form of picking skills / magic and the timing MANUALLY is inherently more difficult than a game that hands-hold you through every battle in form of auto-battle. It's not about the "challenge" perse. FF 13 is also vastly limited in what you can "configure" and have to manage before and during battles.

You are free to like FF 13's battle system more. I felt it was casual as hell and just like the rest of the game: Style over substance.

Ee, a lot of the marks in Pulse would be impossible to beat with only this strategy. Heck you couldn't even beat some chapters of the storyline with this strategy.
Notice the "most". Changing Paradigms is hardly an added difficulty tho.

A game that requires you to use a strategy in form of picking skills / magic MANUALLY is inherently more difficult than a game that hands-hold you through every battle in form of auto-battle. It's not about the "challenge" perse. FF 13 is also vastly limited in what you can "configure" and have to manage before and during battles.

You are free to like FF 13's battle system more. I felt it was casual as hell and just like the rest of the game: Style over substance.

Ah, I see where you're coming from. I guess we can just agree to disagree on what's difficult and/or engaging, different strokes for different folks.

As I noted in my over-long post above, I agree that the battle tuning early game is off, and does lend itself to auto battle. But once the game picks up, it's no longer tuned for auto battle, and is no longer particularly casual. But they didn't have the confidence to fully embrace the system they made, so built in a half assed and poorly balanced easy mode (auto battle and beginning paradigms), and then used a bolted on system of grades to try and push more involved battle approaches.

But it's just not true that there's not much to manage out of battle. 5 equipment slots, each with a different synergistic hidden property leads to a wide range of builds (seriously, look up ff xiii item synergy on gamefaqs or something, it's a pretty deep system). But if one doesn't read a strategy guide they probably won't realize this is there, another instance of hiding the best systems because they didn't want to turn off casuals and beginners.

A game that requires you to use a strategy in form of picking skills / magic and the timing MANUALLY is inherently more difficult than a game that hands-hold you through every battle in form of auto-battle. It's not about the "challenge" perse. FF 13 is also vastly limited in what you can "configure" and have to manage before and during battles.

Then I guess "difficulty" is entirely up to what an individual player is good at, and what elements they could tolerate. My own gauge for difficulty is simply thus: I can defeat the most difficult boss battle in Final Fantasy VII with one hand while reading a book. I'm not good at games that require on-the-fly judgment and reaction. Thus 7 is much more easier for me to play compared to 13.

Steel

Banned
Then I guess "difficulty" is entirely up to what an individual player is good at, and what elements they could tolerate. My own gauge for difficulty is simply thus: I can defeat the most difficult boss battle in Final Fantasy VII with one hand while reading a book. I'm not good at games that require on-the-fly judgment and reaction. Thus 7 is much more easier for me to play compared to 13.

They're both absurdly easy outside of certain boss battles. I've yet to see an FF that's got decent difficulty outside of optional boss fights. There are tons of action and turn-based RPGs that are miles more complicated gameplay-wise than the Final Fantasy series.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just let Nomura (re)make the game he wants to (re)make.

Extremely talented, with great vision and strong execution of dynamic battle systems in the games he made.(KH)

I don't think anyone outside of those of us willing to accept changes are going to be happy with the end product. And that's fine.

Sami+

Eugh, I hated that they made a "one winged angel" real...it's so impractical. The dude's gonna fly in circles or hover a bit.

THIS, OH MY FUCKING GOD.

Please leave that one winged bullshit out of the remake it's really not cool unless you're Safer Sephiroth

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
rUlBNUk.png

Our Lord Nomura, who art in Japan,
Hallowed be FF7 Remake.
Thy release come.
Thy game be done
On PS4, as it is on PS1.
Give us this day our action combat systems,
And forgive us for our turn based,
As we forgive those who turn based against us.
Lead us not into random battles,
But deliver us a visible enemies.
For thine is 2015,
The era of real-time battles,
For ever and ever.
With character switching.

tumblr_lqo9vtc6qV1qersozo1_500.gif
No.

Kame

OMG FF7 REMAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Dudes, I don't know what ya'll arguing about but man. I'm still stoked it's coming out! HYPEEEEE!!!!

The fact it's on GAF. The FACT. that I'm seeing a thread about FF7 being remade on GAF is a day I would have never thought would have came.

Great age to be a gamer.

The Jason

I honestly wouldn't say turn based like the original game was full control of anyone. You can tell them what to do but you had no control over if they actually hit, if they dodged or blocked or when they cover an ally being attacked. At least an action RPG gives you full control over one person unlike that which is more like having 10% control over 3 different people. I really don't consider having an RNG determining all of those things having full control.

Wow, really arguing that controlling one character is more control than all characters because sometimes you can miss in turn based combat? Really? Really?

Just can't believe the arguments in this thread. If I want to play an action game, I'll play one with a proper combat system like DMC or something. Keep that shit away from final fantasy VII

Bullshit, unless you're changing the battle style to "wait".

No way you're beating something like Carry Armor on Active while reading a book.
They're both absurdly easy outside of certain boss battles. I've yet to see an FF that's got decent difficulty outside of optional boss fights. There are tons of action and turn-based RPGs that are miles more complicated gameplay-wise than the Final Fantasy series.
How many of them have you played?

FFI and FFII are hard as fuck, unless you're grinding. A Hill Gigas would wreck your shit solo, and they come at you in packs often.

No way you're beating something like Carry Armor on Active while reading a book.

Carry Armor is the boss you get before jumping in the sub, right?
Yeah, that mofo wasnt hard, but it was a pain in the ass. You aren't able to beat it without paying attention to the screen.

I always pick the easiest option and judge the difficulty of every game by it. So yes, I changed the battle system to "Wait".

So far, Persona 4 Golden is the easiest RPG I've ever played, ever.

Yeah, that mofo wasnt hard, but it was a pain in the ass. You aren't able to beat it without paying attention to the screen.
Grabbed both party members and he just finished off Tifa. He was hard if you're underleveled (which I always try to be).

Second playthrough, 13 years old, I had to sleep on it after he beat me 4 times in a row. That night, I dreamt of Cloud fucking him up in technicolor. It was fucking absurd.

The next day I beat him. Idek how.
I always pick the easiest option and judge the difficulty of every game by it. So yes, I changed the battle system to "Wait".

You.. what?

You made it easier, therefore its easy. That doesn't make much sense.
By default its at Recommend, which prevents enemy from attacking you while you select magic and items. Active just has enemies attacking you, ready or not.

You should preface your statement with how you change difficulty levels before saying a game is easy.

Dark_castle

I would rather FF7r go full action with character switching than adopting XIII's combat. Still vastly prefer SE to keep the original system, make improvements on it add additional difficulty and challenges to the battles.

Steel

Banned
How many of them have you played?

FFI and FFII are hard as fuck, unless you're grinding. A Hill Gigas would wreck your shit solo, and they come at you in packs often.

You're kidding right? I played FF I and II. II's weapon system in particular was hilariously easy to break.

As for what I've played, easier to list the ones I haven't. III, IV, V and the mmos.

That's got to be the worst way to judge the difficulty of any game, period.

You.. what?

You made it easier, therefore its easy. That doesn't make much sense.
By default its at Recommend, which prevents enemy from attacking you while you select magic and items. Active just has enemies attacking you, ready or not.

You should preface your statement with how you change difficulty levels before saying a game is easy.

Notice that I never once said that the game is easy.

That's got to be the worst way to judge the difficulty of any game, period.
I... just prefaced my statement by saying the difficulty of a game is up to the individual playing them. Honestly I think you are all pretty silly debating on which games are "easy" and which are "difficult" as if it there's an immutable truth in there.

It's definitely hard if you don't know what you're doing.

All you had to do was use Magic Hammer on him and get rid of his MP making it unable to use Lapis Laser. Then you destroy the arms and it becomes practically harmless.

OMG FF7 REMAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Dudes, I don't know what ya'll arguing about but man. I'm still stoked it's coming out! HYPEEEEE!!!!

The fact it's on GAF. The FACT. that I'm seeing a thread about FF7 being remade on GAF is a day I would have never thought would have came.

Great age to be a gamer.

It is amazing, isn't it? We are no longer writing posts saying, "Wonder what it would take for them to finally make it?" and instead talking about how the official trailer for it has passed 8 million views. Still doesn't seem real, but after at least 10 years of waiting (I say "at least" because some people thought it should have been remade on PS2), it's real.

You're kidding right? I played FF I and II. II's weapon system in particular was hilariously easy to break.

As for what I've played, easier to list the ones I haven't. III, IV, V and the mmos.
You mention nothing of FFI and the packs of Hill Gigas. Are you running away? If not, how would you beat them?

Just wonder, cause I played it a few years back and found it insufferably difficult. Take the wrong path and every step you take is a random battle. Especially if, like me, you want to get all the treasure in a dungeon.
Notice that I never once said that the game is easy.

I... just prefaced my statement by saying the difficulty of a game is up to the individual playing them. Honestly I think you are all pretty silly debating on which games are "easy" and which are "difficult" as if it there's an immutable truth in there.
You said "much more easier than FFXIII". That implies the base game. You didn't hint at switching difficulty, thats was my hang-up. "Up to the individual player" could be your own skill level, which is what I took it for and kind of what you implied by saying it was easier than FFXIII.

Steel

Banned
You mention nothing of FFI and the packs of Hill Gigas. Are you running away? If not, how would you beat them?

Just wonder, cause I played it a few years back and found it insufferably difficult. Take the wrong path and every step you take is a random battle. Especially if, like me, you want to get all the treasure in a dungeon.

I didn't comment on the hill gigas in FF 1 because I frankly don't remember them. Didn't have much of an impact on me. FF 1 wasn't very interesting at all, really. FF 2 was more memorable.

I didn't comment on the hill gigas in FF 1 because I frankly don't remember them. Didn't have much of an impact on me. FF 1 wasn't very interesting at all, really. FF 2 was more memorable.
It wasn't memorable, but it was hard as fuck. ;)

They were in FFII as well, btw.
It's definitely hard if you don't know what you're doing.

All you had to do was use Magic Hammer on him and get rid of his MP making it unable to use Lapis Laser. Then you destroy the arms and it becomes practically harmless.
Where the hell were you 14 years ago!?

We would have been best friends.

You said "much more easier than FFXIII". That implies the base game. You didn't hint at switching difficulty, thats was my hang-up. "Up to the individual player" could be your own skill level, which is what I took it for and kind of what you implied by saying it was easier than FFXIII.

I think it's fair to compare the easiest difficulty of one game to the easiest difficulty of another. But you're right; I should have said that and I apologize.

This is not the point I was making, however. My point is what people perceive as "difficult" is different. And trying to assert your own sense of difficulty to somebody else is pointless. Even now with the 1 debate. "The weapon system is easy to break!" "But Hill Gigas". You're just using arbitrary elements from your own experience.

I could say "7 is easy because I could grind to 99 and cheese every fights". Then somebody else would say "but grinding is hard because it's boring". Then somebody else "grinding is the easiest thing ever".

It's easy if you are prepared with this and this skill. It's difficult when you're underleveled. If you reacted accordingly you'd never get hit. Etc etc. It's all arbitrary.

The only thing I could do is to convey my own experience and leave it at that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
XIII is harder because you had to mash the x button even faster than VII. Shit was like being tortured by Revolver "there are no continues, my friend" Ocelot.

Ruff

If FF7R is fully 3D, I hope they add an option to automatically set the camera angle in places similar to how FF7 did it.
A lot of the personality in the scenes are in the way they are framed. Such as the low angle on Sephiroth reading the books during the basement scene

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If FF7R is fully 3D, I hope they add an option to automatically set the camera angle in places similar to FF7 did it.
A lot of the personality in the scenes are in the way they are framed. Such as the low angle on Sephiroth reading the books during the basement scene
They did the Nibelheim overlap scenes in CC justice in that regard, at least.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If FF7R is fully 3D, I hope they add an option to automatically set the camera angle in places similar to howFF7 did it.

I think that's a great idea, actually.

At the least, they should have a cinematic camera (think FFX) for certain scenes that replicate the angles of certain important areas in the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom