• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Chunk 1 (CyberConnect2, UE4) Trailer, "PS4 Console Debut"

cj_iwakura

Me too

Sure would be cool if we got an epilogue game.

Look no further!

Dirgeofcerberususbox.jpg

Dark_castle

Yup hype is gone. And this is my favorite game of all time. Square is such a shitty company now.

It's actually not that bad. As long as they can keep the world map and overworld exploration including most of the hidden point of interests in tact, you can just think of the parts like discs of the original. Spread it into 3 parts, each worth around 20 hours of gameplay, $30 each. Complete game would cost $90, but this is the kind of game that only existed in fairy tale. I'm more than glad to pay an extra $30 than the regular pricing.

evanmisha

It's actually not that bad. As long as they can keep the world map and overworld exploration including most of the hidden point of interests in tact, you can just think of the parts like discs of the original. Spread it into 3 parts, each worth around 20 hours of gameplay, $30 each. Complete game would cost $90, but this is the kind of game that only existed in fairy tale. I'm more than glad to pay an extra $30 than the regular pricing.

I would be stunned if each part wasn't full price with a 100$ ish LE as well

Faenix1

I remember the time I was hyped as hell for a FF7 remake. Even believed that rumour many years ago and was excited. Oh, how things have changed. I watch the trailer and everytime I get excited until the gameplay parts and it's soul crushing.

Hell I don't know a single person, at least in my circle, that is interested in what they are dishing out.

Look no further!

Dirgeofcerberususbox.jpg

I'd love a sequel to that.

..oh wait, they'd screw it up.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Umm I could play all 3 disc without a year + wait inbetween each once i finished one. also I don't care about price, I'd pay $1k+ for a full, intact delivered ff7r.

What I really worry about is the experience will be super hampered thanks to having to artificially end each episode, likely with some exaggerated cliff hanger based off the original. And how are they going to handle progression of limit breaks, materia, equipment, ect? You could leave Midgard without even being on level 2 limit breaks and still shirry equipment and materials. Can't imagine them ending their first episode with you barely progressing in equipment, but if they do fast track everything then what's the real point of future upgrades?

Dark_castle

Was this posted? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-Igt8gINA

A bit of a recap of the main events that are relevant to the story of FFVII.

Funny thing about FFVII is I don't really give much shit about its lore and even story. I just play along and experience and embrace all the wackiness moment by moment, and it was a very interesting game at the end. Which is why I didn't like Advent Children at all. Sure that was a movie and not an interactive video game, but SE failed to capture what I like about FFVII and decided to go all out on the plot and stuff.

But a bit of recap on what the story of FFVII was all about don't hurt I guess.

He's a bad voice actor. I'm willing to be proven wrong if you point me to a performance other than Cloud Strife that he's done. From what I've heard he has very limited vocal range.

Burton did a wonderful job with young Cloud in CC. Hopefully there is some good voice direction in the remake, as I'm really looking forward to seeing what Burton does with Cloud.

The VA for the remake should have an easier time of it, too, because they shouldn't have to lip-sync. We should get more organic performances because of this. Having to emote to a lip-flap is brutal, especially if it's something you rarely do. It's harder again if you don't have any music experience to help you out with the timing. (Props to Japanese voice-actors, and props to the dubbing industry.) Someone correct if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the VA still had to lip-sync in AC. From FFXIII onwards, I think they now had the tech to redo the lip flaps.

Dark_castle

I would be stunned if each part wasn't full price with a 100$ ish LE as well

Full price is too much. The most I would pay for each part is $40. Anything higher, I'll be the first to a buy a ticket to Japan and summon Bahamut Zero to annihilate Square Enix headquarter.

Who am I kidding. I'm going to pay full price for each part if that's what it takes. I'm a sucker for FFVII. T.T

Umm I could play all 3 disc without a year + wait inbetween each once i finished one. also I don't care about price, I'd pay $1k+ for a full, intact delivered ff7r.

What I really worry about is the experience will be super hampered thanks to having to artificially end each episode, likely with some exaggerated cliff hanger based off the original. And how are they going to handle progression of limit breaks, materia, equipment, ect? You could leave Midgard without even being on level 2 limit breaks and still shirry equipment and materials. Can't imagine them ending their first episode with you barely progressing in equipment, but if they do fast track everything then what's the real point of future upgrades?

Yeah, those are some valid concerns. Another thing is, many players might felt compelled to just level their party to 99 or something while awaiting the second part to drop many months later, thus reducing the challenge for the rest of the game greatly. Unless they artificially limit the level limit for each part, which sucks as well. There is no win-win situation for this aspect.

Zukuu

Banned
Nope. "Full Price", "full games". It can ONLY work if it's 2 parts. Anything more and it will be too much watered down filler crap.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Full price is too much. The most I would pay for each part is $40. Anything higher, I'll be the first to a buy a ticket to Japan and summon Bahamut Zero to annihilate Square Enix headquarter.

Who am I kidding. I'm going to pay full price for each part if that's what it takes. I'm a sucker for FFVII. T.T

Yeah, those are some valid concerns. Another thing is, many players might felt compelled to just level their party to 99 or something while awaiting the second part to drop many months later, thus reducing the challenge for the rest of the game greatly. Unless they artificially limit the level limit for each part, which sucks as well. There is no win-win situation for this aspect.

Don't kid yourself, it'll be $60 minimum for each episode. You know it be true.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Burton did a wonderful job with young Cloud in CC. Hopefully there is some good voice direction in the remake, as I'm really looking forward to seeing what Burton does with Cloud.

The VA for the remake should have an easier time of it, too, because they shouldn't have to lip-sync. We should get more organic performances because of this. Having to emote to a lip-flap is brutal, especially if it's something you rarely do. It's harder again if you don't have any music experience to help you out with the timing. (Props to Japanese voice-actors, and props to the dubbing industry.) Someone correct if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the VA still had to lip-sync in AC. From FFXIII onwards, I think they now had the tech to redo the lip flaps.

Since it was all prerendered, yes. They didn't rerender the whole movie just for the english release.

But i would expect the new game to do so.

Yup hype is gone. And this is my favorite game of all time. Square is such a shitty company now.

If they were shitty, they would not be the premier Japanese company bringing out the most games for core gamers this gen.

I think the hyperbolic statements need to be toned down.

Oriel

I can see it ultimately costing well in excess of $90. And how far apart are these installations? A month? A year? It would feel like a step back for the gaming industry to be moving to episodic and that "to be continued....." screen at a time when the entire TV industry is dumping all that and allowing series to be consumed in one go on Netflix or Amazon. A shitty move here by SE, even though I'm under no doubt the complete package will be great. But that's what I want it to be, a complete package, a single whole; not chopped up and disjointed.

I can see it ultimately costing well in excess of $90. And how far apart are these installations? A month? A year? It would feel like a step back for the gaming industry to be moving to episodic and that "to be continued....." screen at a time when the entire TV industry is dumping all that and allowing series to be consumed in one go on Netflix or Amazon. A shitty move here by SE, even though I'm under no doubt the complete package will be great. But that's what I want it to be, a complete package, a single whole; not chopped up and disjointed.

From the sounds of it they are going to build the games/parts in a way to where each feels like the conclusion of a story.

More like the end of a game or a movie, rather than the end of a chapter in a book.

Dark_castle

Nope. "Full Price", "full games". It can ONLY work if it's 2 parts. Anything more and it will be too much watered down filler crap.

I don't know about you, but for me each discs of FFVII were actually very decent in terms of play time for me, and even moments that can be considered as filler were meaningful to me as well, like the whole...adventure in Honeybee Inn. In fact, it was these kind of filler that make FFVII interesting to me.

If SE is doing what they said, which is to further expand each locale to include more of these kind of fillers, I'm more than welcome for them to do it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If they were shitty, they would not be the premier Japanese company bringing out the most games for core gamers this gen.

I think the hyperbolic statements need to be toned down.
Nah, we will vent about shitty choices all we want, you can listen to it or ignore it. For many of us this game is almost sacred, we are allowed to be pissed when we hear stuff that is pretty damn shitty (sure it's just a game, but this is gaf, we all say stupid things and get upset over trivial matters).

There is a reason everyone expected there to be a "catch" when this was announced, Square is not a company most of us trust or have any faith in delivering anymore.

Inuhanyou

Nah, we will vent about shitty choices all we want, you can listen to it or ignore it. For many of us this game is almost sacred, we are allowed to be pissed when we hear stuff that is pretty damn shitty (sure it's just a game, but this is gaf, we all say stupid things and get upset over trivial matters).

There is a reason everyone expected their to be a "catch" when this was announced, Square is not a company most of us trust or have any faith in delivering anymore.

If you want to say they make shitty choices for this game, that's perfectly reasonable. This decision for putting the story of FF7 behind multiple games is going to get all sorts of opinions.

But i say again, the hyperbolic statements need to be toned down

It is absolutely incorrect to speak in generalities about the output of the whole company because of one decision on one game. That is being ridiculous.

I don't care about how much your are emotionally invested in this title to the point of hysteria, you have to actually think calmly about the situation instead of freaking out. Its just annoying hearing this high pitched whine every time something happens and outrage has to go straight to 11.

Your not the only one who wants the project to do well or live up to personal expectations

Oriel

From the sounds of it they are going to build the games/parts in a way to where each feels like the conclusion of a story.

More like the end of a game or a movie, rather than the end of a chapter in a book.

Here's the problem for me. When I play a game and then leave it for a while, say a month or two and then return to it I often have no clue where I'm at or what to do next without resorting to a guide online. I find a gap in play ruins the experience for me. Many games I've often had to reset altogether and start afresh simply because I left it too long, ironically enough FFVII being probably the main title I've restarted so many times due to forgetting all about it.

So the idea of episodic leaves me cold precisely for this reason. Same with TV shows for that matter where I have to watch the whole lot in one go. Breaks of a few weeks or months would ruin the immersion and experience for me. Depending on how far spaced apart these "episodes" are I might end up choosing to wait for it all to be released and then start playing.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If you want to say they make shitty choices for this game, that's perfectly reasonable. This decision for putting the story of FF7 behind multiple games is going to get all sorts of opinions.

But i say again, the hyperbolic statements need to be toned down

It is absolutely incorrect to speak in generalities about the output of the whole company because of one decision on one game. That is being ridiculous.

I don't care about how much your are emotionally invested in this title to the point of hysteria, you have to actually think calmly about the situation instead of freaking out. Its just annoying hearing this high pitched whine every time something happens and outrage has to go straight to 11.

Your not the only one who wants the project to do well or live up to personal expectations

Alright let me correct: Square Enix is an incredibly shitty company who is only held up by the quality of studios not related to the core of the company. Square Enix the delveloper has had a horrible output over the last decade, cumulating in the early disaster of FF14. Recent square seemed like it may be trying to turn a new leaf but announcements like this lead many of us to believe they are the same shitty company they have been.

So in conclusion: Square Enix is a shitty company and nothing but a mangled shadow of the former company we all grew up with and loved.

Better? :)

I just dont get the hate in these threads about a game everyone finaly after 20 years gets a chance to play again made by the same people who did the first one.

There was no way everyone would be happy since everyone had different ideas how the remake should be done.

Now we have people cursing left and right wanting to burn down square because their vision of how the remaster should be done is different from the minds behind the orginial game.

Then we have the group that already are claiming the game is now dead to them and a disaster beacause it will not be one part.

Well wait to play it until all parts are done! The game would probably not have been completed any earlier if they would have put as much work into it as they are now doing for the different parts.

Can you imagine how hard this project must be for them? They know they will dissapoint some fans with everything they do with this game no matter how small or big of a change it is. But I really hope they stay as far away from every gaming massage board there is on the internet beacause I am not interested in seeing the vision of Kitase and Nomura changed by some angry fan that acts like they know better than them what their own game should be like.

We will hoppfully get to play this game in the not so distant future and I will atleast wait before deciding if the game I have been waiting for the last 15 years is bad.

Turin

Banned
Steve Burton and Beau Billingslea are some of the most competent voice actors in the American industry. They have won numerous awards in their various works in and out of voice acting.

Has Burton done other work in voice acting?

I do remember seeing him in that soap opera(my dad watches them) and he actually acted pretty well amidst the cesspool of shit that is a soap opera.

GHG

Gold Member
All of this whining and complaining is the exact reason Square were reluctant to embark on this project in the first place. How ironic.

Why not just see what the final product(s) turn out to be before we pass judgement?

Or would people prefer that they cancel the project due to all the whining? Some of you are such drama queens. The original game still exists and always will. Allow them the freedom to be creative and remake this game how they wish.

I just dont get the hate in these threads about a game everyone finaly after 20 years gets a chance to play again made by the same people who did the first one.

There was no way everyone would be happy since everyone had different ideas how the remake should be done.

Now we have people cursing left and right wanting to burn down square because their vision of how the remaster should be done is different from the minds behind the orginial game.

Then we have the group that already are claiming the game is now dead to them and a disaster beacause it will not be one part.

Well wait to play it until all parts are done! The game would probably not have been completed any earlier if they would have put as much work into it as they are now doing for the different parts.

Can you imagine how hard this project must be for them? They know they will dissapoint some fans with everything they do with this game no matter how small or big of a change it is. But I really hope they stay as far away from every gaming massage board there is on the internet beacause I am not interested in seeing the vision of Kitase and Nomura changed by some angry fan that acts like they know better than them what their own game should be like.

We will hoppfully get to play this game in the not so distant future and I will atleast wait before deciding if the game I have been waiting for the last 15 years is bad.

Truuu

All of thus whining and complaining is the exact reason Square were reluctant to embark on this project in the first place. How ironic.

Why not just see what the final product(s) turn out to be before we pass judgement?

Or would people prefer that they cancel the project due to all the whining? Some of you are such drama queens. The original game still exists and always will. Allow them the freedom to be creative and remake this game how they wish.

Yeah, I'd rather have this than nothing at all. While no one knows how it's gonna be cut up I believe it'll be great series of games. Nomura hasn't failed me yet.

bonkeng

Did Golden Sun series and Legend of Heroes TiTS received similar feedback?

Because to me, this is would be the same as those 2.

Golden Sun 1 ended in a cliffhanger. Golden Sun 2 started right after 1 ended.

Trails did the same. 2nd chapter started right at the end of 1st chapter. I honestly didn't see any complains against these 2.

As long as SE brings new content and each episode is 30hrs long, i don't have a problem with it.

Kyoufu

All of this whining and complaining is the exact reason Square were reluctant to embark on this project in the first place. How ironic.

We don't deserve FFVII Remake. They should just cancel it and make 5 more Kingdom Hearts spin-offs instead.

I totally agree. I actually avoided this thread because of the constant negativity.

Trails did the same. 2nd chapter started right at the end of 1st chapter. I honestly didn't see any complains against these 2.

As long as SE brings new content and each episode is 30hrs long, i don't have a problem with it.

The problem is that the full story exists in a game so people get real bent out of shape about that. It's too hard for many to get over that. It's also concerning due to some features like the World Map and carrying over data from previous entries in the remake are up in the air because we're running on limited info.

I think it'll be fantastic, and I'm looking forward to it, but I understand some of the more rational concerns.

We don't deserve FFVII Remake. They should just cancel it and make 5 more Kingdom Hearts spin-offs instead.

The hope is that now that Square-Enix has cleaned up it's act now with the new President is that they can actually give Nomura a team to actually make console-mainline KH titles. That horrid generation of only "spin-off" titles was suffering as a KH fan.

Kyoufu

Is this coming to Xbox One? The messaging has been kind of confusing :/

Nope.

I agree about the messaging. It's downright terrible.

The hope is that now that Square-Enix has cleaned up it's act now with the new President is that they can actually give Nomura a team to actually make console-mainline KH titles. That horrid generation of only "spin-off" titles was suffering as a KH fan.

Nomura will probably not be heavily involved in developing a Kingdom Hearts title until FFVII Remake is complete, which won't be for a very long time. The Osaka team will be on KH until the end of time I suppose.

Nomura will probably not be heavily involved in developing a Kingdom Hearts title until FFVII Remake is complete, which won't be for a very long time. The Osaka team will be on KH until the end of time I suppose.

Hey, just give me KH titles on a home console and I'll be satisfied!

duckroll

??????

Nomura is the main director for every single KH game and is always heavily involved regardless of where the game is developed. If you're thinking of KH1 and KH2 era dev where he has a Tokyo team working singularly on the games, that will probably never happen again.

bonkeng

Exactly.

Those who do not want episodic game, go play the original.

Kyoufu

??????

Nomura is the main director for every single KH game and is always heavily involved regardless of where the game is developed. If you're thinking of KH1 and KH2 era dev where he has a Tokyo team working singularly on the games, that will probably never happen again.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I think it's for the best since KH3 was held up for an entire gen due to his team being stuck on Versus and other internal shenanigans.

Inuhanyou

Has Burton done other work in voice acting?

I do remember seeing him in that soap opera(my dad watches them) and he actually acted pretty well amidst the cesspool of shit that is a soap opera.

He's been on General hospital for like 20 years. My sister used to watch that shit religiously and it got old...i don't see how she's kept it up from her teenage years to now, she's 31 and still watching this shit and a lot of the same people on the show are somehow still doing the same roles.

I guess its perpetual job security...

Beau is also Jet's voice actor(from Cowboy Bebop) and has done tons of other anime too. He's really good.

??????

I think what he means is that Tai Yasue will be doing the heavy lifting, while Nomura is more hands on with the FF7 remake than KH3.

Just based on Tai, Nomura isn't even in Osaka a lot of the time, so he can't be right in their faces to begin with, even if he checks on development periodically.

I'd never be one to criticize a good pair of TiTS
chapters

I don't mind the games being broken into multiple parts so long as each feels like a full game.

Inuhanyou

Digital devil saga is probably similar as well...the second game starts off right where the first ended, and you can't really just play one or the other cause its a single story.

It was essentially two parts of one game that reused the same character models, enemies and stuff.

If you think of it like that, its not really uncommon in old days either

Digital devil saga is probably similar as well...the second game starts off right where the first ended, and you can't really just play one or the other cause its a single story.

It was essentially two parts of one game that reused the same character models, enemies and stuff.

If you think of it like that, its not really uncommon in old days either

I guess it helps that DDS was my favorite SMT games. Explains why I'm cool with them splitting the story up with VII:R.

Ceravic

That's about where I've landed on this too. I was initially very disappointed in this news, but I will be cool with it if this is how it ends up being.

ZenTzen

what has me worried is the possibility of them changing the gameplay from each "episode", and how they are gonna treat progression(levels, materia, equipment, etc) from game to game

i would seriously hate if they do something like XIII, that changed its combat system each game while focusing on the same characters, so i really do hope its just like ps1 era disc change, where you just continue the game, with all your stuff from where you left off

Top Bottom