• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Mcdohl

Not sure if true or not.

bnKxqyE.png

Edit: More
5useJ3I.png

Falk

that puzzling face
look on the bright side if ffxii hd is true they could just copy/paste yuna's face model from ffx hd onto ashe

Meowster

so... general consensus on final fantasy type 0 hd? bought it on the cheap and looking forward to it and the ffxv demo.
It's not bad and the battle system is quite fun and engaging to play. I've put it down and haven't returned to it in forever but I'm sure that the new patch probably helps make it an even more enjoyable experience. You can definitely tell that it was originally a PSP game.

Random: it's been forever since I played XII but I have considered getting back into it either through (hopefully) an announced remaster or through emulation with my disc. But something I have always wondered with that game: are you supposed to just level a main party? Everyone? Should you "waste" time leveling them or are you supposed to?

I'm not going into the thread on the Discussion side (mob mentality, yo), but crazy theory time! Crazy theory time!

What if the Dawn trailer for FFXV was just the first of new footage for FFXV at Gamescom? I know, wild stuff...

(Also pls to be announcing/acknowledging that something is happening with FFXII at Gamescom too, Square.)

Addendum:

One thing that's definitely in tact in FFXV is an idea all the Fabula Nova Crystallis projects have - the deconstruction of the idea of a warrior of light. Taken from the latest teaser:
"Fifteen years ago... Fate would fall to the father and son of Lucis. As the stars chose the son to be their light... The father could but hold him and mourn his destiny. Now, the son rises -- the dawn of a new king."
This new take on the chosen heroes and/or those around them not being entirely happy with their destinies is actually a neat subversion the FNC series has. Yes, it was even there in FFXIII. L'Cie being "chosen" by fal'Cie, and the cast of characters rejecting their fates. Let's hope XV executes this idea better than XIII did, though.

tearsofash

I wasn't really feeling Type 0 at first. A little convoluted, and wasnt sure what kind of game I am playing. Time limits are my least favorite game mechanic og all time, but this works out pretty well.

Then I learned about the secret training exploit and now all my characters are level 99. I can do what I want, when I want.

The events at school between students are some the worst sequences Ive ever had to experience. So awkward.

aravuus

I played the PSP version when the fan translation came out and I dunno, it was kinda terrible. Maybe my expectations were too high since I had just read some mod's (sorry, can't remember whose) glowing review of it.

Def gonna give the PC version a second try, though.

So how'd that work out for you?

Hey, that Marlboro stuff was new.

But, yeah, what an underwhelming showing. Oh well, they've got their marketing schedule finalized they said, so we're on the track to the end - whenever the hell that'll be. This stage of their marketing does have me a bit nonplussed, but I've got XIV to hold my attention, and there are a lot of games that'll be released in between now and whenever XV lands on shelves. Ever since it got re-revealed as XV, I've had the mindset of to let them put their best effort in and release it when they feel it's ready. My life isn't dependent on the release of a video game to be too up in arms over it.

Style

Banned
I've seen people around talking about the lore of FF XV still being connected to XII. I thought they dropped that with the re-branding. What's you guys take on it. o_O

Golnei

I've seen people around talking about the lore of FF XV still being connected to XII. I thought they dropped that with the re-branding. What's you guys take on it. o_O

Wasn't it said that the concepts were planned to remain, but the terminology was being changed to cut superficial ties to FNC? Considering the negative reception Type-0's use of FNC terms received, I guess it'd make sense for them not to want to repeat that scenario, even if the lore remained basically unchanged in practice.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's Fabula Nova Crystallis. It's kind of the same way multiple Final Fantasy games have recurring elements, except just a little more specific as to the creation of the world, deities, etc. They're not the same entities, but they follow the same template. (With whatever twists are inherent to this particular retelling)

FFXV is, indeed, dropping terms like l'cie and Fal'cie though, just because such terms could and would confusingly link the game back to XIII/Type-0.

The battle system in final fantasy ix is infuriating.

*enemy attacks x character and x character is low on health*
*heal x character*
*enemy attacks x character again before heal goes through*
*raise x character*
*enemy attacks character x before subsequent heal goes through*

2 min later ...

Game Over

Fucking Iifa Tree. I can deal with the battle system being slow. But, oh god, the characters ...

Labadal

*heal x character*
*raise x character*

2 min later ...

Game Over

Fucking Iifa Tree. I can deal with the battle system being slow. But, oh god, the characters ...

Haste is your friend.

Polished off XIII-2 on Steam. All achievements and fights. I didn't like the hard-ass arena bosses. I hate changing my setup for singular fights.

Alyssa
was a bad person and I am glad my team made her dead.

Trying to decide if I will slump through the rest of XIII again before LR drops.

*heal x character*
*raise x character*

2 min later ...

Game Over

Use a phoenix down on the tree if you ain't try a steal from it. Also don't use fire on it.

wmlk

I'm playing through FFX for the first time with the Remaster. It's been rough, to say the least. I've been on and off with this for over a year. I feel like the core concepts and themes in the games are really strong but the execution is terrible. I basically blame the cutscene and voice direction of this game a lot, along with the jarring low-poly models with terrible animations (especially in the HD Remaster it seems). The game relies so much on its story that I have to be critical of the graphical flaws with this game. I usually tolerate every character in any game, but with the voice direction and the inconsistencies I find myself only liking Auron and Yuna.

Not that big of a fan of the combat, either. Everything is easy other than the occasional boss battle. I guess that's to be expected with a lot of JRPGs, but I'm spending most of my time switching between party members because I want to make sure everyone gets experience for every battle. I haven't bothered with doing a lot of experimentation since I haven't found the need to. I just recently found out that you can set the Aeon cutscenes to Short and that makes things a lot faster. Wish I knew this way back instead of 41 hours into the game.

Anyway, I just got through
Gagazet and am at the save point at Zanarkand Ruins right where the opening cutscene is.
I feel like things are finally clicking this late into the game.
The whole message that Yuna put into her Sphere was really, really well done.
Just wish there were more moments in the story that felts as genuine as that. That part of the game is definitely something I'll remember and take away when I'm done.

tl;dr: FFX has pretty good themes and the combat allows for interesting stuff but is only worth it during boss battles. Yuna are Auron are cool and everyone else sux. Starting to like the game 41 hours in.

Falk

that puzzling face
Was one of Squeenix's (Square's) first attempt at VA, and one of Japan's first attempts at lip sync (rather than talking 2D busts/etc)

Biggest gripe about the HD remaster tbqh is no cutscene skip in X, but I platinumed it anyway lol

wmlk

Was one of Squeenix's (Square's) first attempt at VA, and one of Japan's first attempts at lip sync (rather than talking 2D busts/etc)

Biggest gripe about the HD remaster tbqh is no cutscene skip in X, but I platinumed it anyway lol

Yeah, but it doesn't hold up unfortunately. I went to YouTube to listen to the part of the game I was talking about and original Tidus' cutscene model was much better. FFXIII has flaws as well but at least FFXIII will age gracefully as a shounen anime dub (not saying this is necessarily a good thing, just that you won't feel any differently about it 10 years later; few technical problems).

This is FFX's VA at its worst lol. It's pretty bad. I think Yuna's message was so well done because it wasn't held back by having to match character face animations.

I hope we can get a different character designer for XVI. I'm getting tired of Nomura. He's done three back to back and more if you count the XIII sequels and Type-0.

So that other FF mobile game SE was working on, Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, started closed beta today in jp.

You can check jp details here if you want to sign up.
Some nice people wrote a small tutorial on how to register here.

I wonder if this will be as popular as Record Keeper.

wmlk

So that other FF mobile game SE was working on, Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, started closed beta today in jp.

You can check jp details here if you want to sign up.
Some nice people wrote a small tutorial on how to register here.

I wonder if this will be as popular as Record Keeper.

DeNA isn't involved in Brave Exvius, so it probably won't be.

Top Bottom