• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

SpaceBridge said:
That Dissidia one is really cool. Im trying to ID the characters though.

On the Chaos side, I recognize
Garland, Cid Raines, Ultima, Vayne, Seifer, Genesis, Stella, and Seymour. No ideas who the guys at the very top are. For Cosmos: Yuna, Snow, Zack, Squall, Ashe, Ramza, and Noctis. Same with the guys at the very top. Maybe they're all from XIV?

This does make me want some authentic 2D Nomura art of XIII's main characters, though. *drool*

Beth Cyra

Electivirus said:
On the Chaos side, I recognize
Garland, Cid Raines, Ultima, Vayne, Seifer, Genesis, Stella, and Seymour. No ideas who the guys at the very top are. For Cosmos: Yuna, Snow, Zack, Squall, Ashe, Ramza, and Noctis. Same with the guys at the very top. Maybe they're all from XIV?
Near the top is also The Black Wind and The White Cloud from FF Unlimited.

Beth Cyra

Electivirus said:
Oh yeah, I never would've gotten those two. >.<
That sucks, because the first one is the character I wanted in Dissidia more then anyone other then Cloud. His play style could have been very awesome not to mention the character is really cool.

Boney

Banned
Aeana said:
There are a lot of things I like about 4WoL, but it falls short in the most crucial areas. :(
but it's soooo preeeettyyyyyy.
My real problems are the item management, which you get used to and adapt, and jobs being pretty much self contained.

Loved loved loved the whole setting though.

Lebron

TWwfX.jpg

I remember getting all giddy when they first released that, but it was all a troll. I want a true FF game like that. That feel of exploration, like the earlier games. XII was sort of like that, but I just couldn't get into that game at all.

watershed

Banned
Lebron said:
TWwfX.jpg

I remember getting all giddy when they first released that, but it was all a troll. I want a true FF game like that. That feel of exploration, like the earlier games. XII was sort of like that, but I just couldn't get into that game at all.
Wait which game is this from?

Beth Cyra

Electivirus said:
Hopefully, Bravely Default fixes 4WoL's major flaws. If so, it could be a potential handheld GotY for me. :D
More interested in Agito XIII, they have put so much into that game I don't really see anything beating it for my GOTY on handhelds be it this year or next.

Boney

Banned
but type -0 (you should call it by it's name you know, especially if you're excited) has those ugly school uniforms

uguryyyy

Aeana

I lost a ton of interest in Type-0 after playing the demo. I still want to play it, but now I'm content to wait for the Vita to come out so I can at least play it with the second analog stick for the camera.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
but type -0 (you should call it by it's name you know, especially if you're excited) has those ugly school uniforms

uguryyyy
I hate the name Type-0 and love the name Agito XIII so I will continue to call it that.

As far as the uniforms, VIII is my favorite FF and that just reminds me of it even more.

As far as the demo goes, I didn't actually play it. Just waiting for the full thing.

aceface

Boney said:
the one that really doesn't get any love is 4wol

4wol was a great game. For all the FFXIII haters, it was the anti-FFXIII. It had a non-linear, world of ruin like second half. The game was totally based on huge towns and solving problems based in and around those towns. Huge amount of strategy in building your party using a pretty good job system. I loved everything about the game.

TruePrime said:
More interested in Agito XIII, they have put so much into that game I don't really see anything beating it for my GOTY on handhelds be it this year or next.

I'm mainly focusing on games that'd I'd definitely be able to play. Type-0's U.S. status is in limbo at the moment, unfortunately. :(

Beth Cyra

Electivirus said:
I'm mainly focusing on games that'd I'd definitely be able to play. Type-0's U.S. status is in limbo at the moment, unfortunately. :(
Have a PS3 or going to get a Vita? If either have faith, HD Remaster or something.

No way they leave that huge of a game in Japan forever.

TruePrime said:
Have a PS3 or going to get a Vita? If either have faith, HD Remaster or something.

No way they leave that huge of a game in Japan forever.

Got a PS3 and getting a Vita at launch. I certainly hope you're right. Type-0 looks hella ambitious.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
I lost a ton of interest in Type-0 after playing the demo. I still want to play it, but now I'm content to wait for the Vita to come out so I can at least play it with the second analog stick for the camera.
I've been thinking of cancelling my PSP preorder just for an inevitable Vita version too. This way, I save money plus we'll probably get a version with better control methods later on.

Don't get me wrong; I'm still looking forward to it because I think its narrative could be interesting if the writing's there. But I'm a little concerned about the controls and camera after playing through the demo.

Narolf

Banned
SpaceBridge said:
That Dissidia one is really cool. Im trying to ID the characters though.
Summing it up all.

FF The 4 Heroes of Light: Chaos ------ Brandt
FF Unlimited: White Cloud ------ Black Wind
FF Tactics: Altima ------ Ramza
FFXIII: Cid Raines ------ Snow Villiers
FFI: Garland ------ Warrior of Light
FFXII: Vayne Solidor ------ Ashe
FFX: Seymour Guado ------ Yuna
FFVIII: Seifer Almazy ------ Squall Leonhart
FF Versus XIII: Stella ------ Noctis
FFVII Crisis Core: Genesis Rhapsodos ------ Zack Fair

I really tried hard to find the artist behind that one, but no avail.

Anth0ny

Yo!

Never played a Final Fantasy before. So I picked up XIII earlier this year... and it's boring. But I know that isn't the best this series can offer.

Any suggestions of what I should play first? Now that I look at my shelf, I seem to have Final Fantasy I for PSP. Should I just start with that?

Beth Cyra

Anth0ny said:
Yo!

Never played a Final Fantasy before. So I picked up XIII earlier this year... and it's boring. But I know that isn't the best this series can offer.

Any suggestions of what I should play first? Now that I look at my shelf, I seem to have Final Fantasy I for PSP. Should I just start with that?
I would say no, if XIII is problem for being boring FF I isn't going to relieve that.

I would say V, VI, VII or X.

Actually what may be a real good idea is to wait for the X HD remaster and try that or go for XII.

Teknoman

FINAL FANTASY XIV

Another post 1.19...post:

Airships, battle system reform, Materia making, Chocobos, more enemy species, and true mobile/camp mix exp parties are back. Also quests+real boss battles/story ramping up.

iMTm0ShpJz3nm.gif

iby6Hoqq8z5CUj.gif

jwOAoN6Q1hCkJ.jpg

jGKIrA5aMThnS.jpg

jqigdxA4Ihm3q.jpg

jbzKdpyHBq7BV5.jpg

jbbmU1isFO2xYf.jpg

jIWhaDIIvfcLt.jpg

jb2EALcsknCQRi.jpg

jbbwnd998vuhEI.jpg

Aeana

Anth0ny said:
Yo!

It's honestly kind of hard to recommend a specific one, because they are mostly fairly different. I would personally recommend FF6 above all others, though, because in general it seems to be the most well-liked in the series so it seems like it's probably a good place to dive in.

Beth Cyra

God I wanted to enjoy FF XIV so much.

I'm not a fan of multiplayer and I heard that FF XIV was supposed to be Solo freindly and was so bad at launch I just had to stop.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anth0ny said:
Yo!

You could, but if you're looking for a good narrative, you are probably not going to get much out of FF1. I generally recommend that people don't play it until they've experienced some of the other FFs. If you want a good "introductory" FF, I'd recommend FFIV: CC PSP because much of the abilities and growth are set in stone.

However, I generally like to recommend FFV (explore ability system), FFVI (good narrative and overall package) and FFIX (what I think is an ideal vision of what "Final Fantasy" is... but if you haven't played previous FFs, you might not get all the references) because I personally like them. A lot of people would probably recommend FFVII based on its atmosphere, narrative and growth/ability system.

Instead of playing Sonic 2006 during your reading week, you should play Final Fantasy VI or IX. :p

Chiave

XIV was such a dicktease. I had all these ideas in my head of how awesome it was going to be. My childhood friend and I made plans to play it together once it was released. We both thought that it was going to be amazing... but it ended up be DoA? And it wasn't even available for the platform that it was announced for? The fuck? When I found out that XIV was shit, I immediately thought of SEGA and how they royally fucked up Sonic.

Teknoman said:
FINAL FANTASY XIV

Another post 1.19...post:

Airships, battle system reform, Materia making, Chocobos, more enemy species, and true mobile/camp mix exp parties are back. Also quests+real boss battles/story ramping up.
Dammit... that looks pretty good Tekno

Boney

Banned
I'd start with either IV, V or VI. Both the original trilogy and the ps trilogy can be a pretty rough to just jump into, even though IX is my favourite.

You could also get X or XII I guess but they aren't good starting points in my opinion.

Beth Cyra

Boney said:
I'd start with either IV, V or VI. Both the original trilogy and the ps trilogy can be a pretty rough to just jump into, even though IX is my favourite.

You could also get X or XII I guess but they aren't good starting points in my opinion.
This I disagree with.

X's systems changed from ATB to the CTB so a new battlesystem and the Sphere grid wasn't the first open system but it's pretty unique not to mention the new Mini games being fairly unique and having fully voice acted.

As it stands, outside of maybe IV, VI and VII it would be the easiest to jump into.

Boney

Banned
TruePrime said:
This I disagree with.

X's systems changed from ATB to the CTB so a new battlesystem and the Sphere grid wasn't the first open system but it's pretty unique not to mention the new Mini games being fairly unique and having fully voice acted.

As it stands, outside of maybe IV, VI and VII it would be the easiest to jump into.
didn't i say they weren't good starting points?

*checks and scratches head*

VI is a pretty good one to start with. Fairly easy with a pretty nice story, if you're into that. And it's a good intro to many of the traditions most other FF games use.

Beth Cyra

Seda said:
TruePrime is saying the FFX IS a good starting point.
That is what I'm saying. X is fresh or at least appears to be so in many ways, and very few if any thing are needed to jump in and feel comfortable with the game.

This is kinda shown just by how big and popular X got.

Even in the X HD reveal thread there where many a poster who pointed out that X was indeed their first time in FF and how much it stuck with them.

Emitan

Aeana said:
It is incredibly clear and very easy to read. I just love the balance between the kana and kanji, and the slightly rounded edges on everything.
That font looks great.
Too bad I can't read it :/

Seda

TruePrime said:
That is what I'm saying. X is fresh or at least appears to be so in many ways, and very few if any thing are needed to jump in and feel comfortable with the game.

This is kinda shown just by how big and popular X got.

Even in the X HD reveal thread there where many a poster who pointed out that X was indeed their first time in FF and how much it stuck with them.

Last page

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31671637&postcount=250

Final Fantasy X is why I'm such an avid gamer now.

V, VII, or IX would be good starter games. IV and VI have too many characters and party-switching going on, so you have to worry about keeping everyone up-to-date, equip and ability-wise. VI is pretty easy though, so *shrug*

Skilletor

TruePrime said:
I know alot of people want to hate Vaan and everything. However the amount of hate leveled at this when the entire point is have him stand out and get people's attention by acting like that never made any damn sense to me.

Seriously. That was the entire point of that scenario. People can only make fun of it when taken out of context.

I promptly ignore anybody who brings up this moment as a negative mark for FF12.

Top Bottom