• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2016: Upgrade to a Better You

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Whew I just finished my first run. I sent a #victory tweet and then a #reg tweet but I can't seem to register for another run. Any advice would be appreciated.

You can't register again until your victory has been processed. Victory processing is manually done by RK, so it's just a matter of waiting. Typically it's less than a day.

This is something I *always* forget, but how important are Flame Rings in W3? And since I do plan on at least attempting to fight Shinryu, should I invest in Coral Rings instead?

SkyOdin

This is something I *always* forget, but how important are Flame Rings in W3? And since I do plan on at least attempting to fight Shinryu, should I invest in Coral Rings instead?

Coral Rings are all but mandatory for fighting Shinryu, and they help a lot against Twintania. Flame Rings are never bad per se, but their best use is in World 2 rather than World 3. I think Flame Rings are most important when you have a Black Mage and no White Mage, or some similar set-up. Otherwise, if you are in World 3 already, you can probably not worry about collecting them.

You can get one each of both types of rings from some of the dungeons in World 3, so no need to buy four.

Mcdohl

Necrophobe is crushing me :/

My lineup:
  • Monk
  • Summoner
  • Ranger
  • Dragoon

I did kill the barriers but then Necrophobe is too fast and my damage output isn't.

Any tips?

Coral Rings are all but mandatory for fighting Shinryu, and they help a lot against Twintania. Flame Rings are never bad per se, but their best use is in World 2 rather than World 3. I think Flame Rings are most important when you have a Black Mage and no White Mage, or some similar set-up. Otherwise, if you are in World 3 already, you can probably not worry about collecting them.

You can get one each of both types of rings from some of the dungeons in World 3, so no need to buy four.

Damn, I already bought my 4th Coral Ring after passing through Phoenix Tower. At least this means I can save my money on a 4th Flame Ring.

My lineup:
  • Monk
  • Summoner
  • Ranger
  • Dragoon

I did kill the barriers but then Necrophobe is too fast and my damage output isn't.

Any tips?

I think he mostly does physical attacks once the barriers are down, so you can use that Summoner to keep Golem up.

RK has stated that you are allowed to use your missing character's job during these times, just make sure you are still otherwise following the rules. This would not be allowed on a Natural run, though.

You're super late to this, but Lenna had all my good Ranger gear when she left the party. That's why I didn't bother switching.

Boney

Banned

My lineup:
  • Monk
  • Summoner
  • Ranger
  • Dragoon

Any tips?
Have the summoner and the monk use summons for support. Golem and pheonix are great, and don't be afraid to use elixirs. Have the ranger use rapid fire while the dragoon jumps. Hermes sandals for haste would be great as well.

Mcdohl

I think he mostly does physical attacks once the barriers are down, so you can use that Summoner to keep Golem up.

Have the summoner and the monk use summons for support. Golem and pheonix are great, and don't be afraid to use elixirs. Have the ranger use rapid fire while the dragoon jumps. Hermes sandals for haste would be great as well.

I shall try again tonight :)

Is the success of Catoblepas and HP of Golem determined by any stats? A.k.a. Is the same if a Monk summons them instead of a Summoner?

So close to finishing the Fiesta!

Golem's HP is your (level + 20) × 50, iirc

Each individual party member doesn't have 2500 HP (as an example) of protection. Rather, it's a shared pool of 2500 health. Casting it again will fill it back up, regardless of it it has expired or not.

Catoblepas' success is based off the enemy's magic evade and whether or not they are immune to Petrify.

SkyOdin

I shall try again tonight :)

Is the success of Catoblepas and HP of Golem determined by any stats? A.k.a. Is the same if a Monk summons them instead of a Summoner?

So close to finishing the Fiesta!

It is worth remembering as a general rule that a Monk equipped with !Summon, that Monk will have the same base Magic stat as a Summoner. The Summoner might be ahead in power because of equipment differences or individual character stats differences, but the Monk can use summoning magic at full power. Similarly, if you give a Summoner the Brawl ability, the Summoner's strength will be upgraded to match that of a Monk. Not all abilities give these stat bonuses, but a lot of the core ones such as the Magic skills do.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Golem's HP is your (level + 20) × 50, iirc

Each individual party member doesn't have 2500 HP (as an example) of protection. Rather, it's a shared pool of 2500 health. Casting it again will fill it back up, regardless of it it has expired or not.

Catoblepas' success is based off the enemy's magic evade and whether or not they are immune to Petrify.

Is the bolded version-specific? Because I'm pretty sure on GBA it just does nothing if you use it while Golem still has some HP left. I know for sure it skips the summon animation.

Catoblepas (and any other magic without a 100% hitrate) also factors in level difference as well as magic evasion to determine accuracy. That's why it can be hard to hit some bosses with status ailments they are vulnerable to, even if they don't have really high magic evasion.

Is the bolded version-specific? Because I'm pretty sure on GBA it just does nothing if you use it while Golem still has some HP left. I know for sure it skips the summon animation.

It's very possible my math was wrong when first summoning Golem, but I went through several thousand more HP when I summoned him and got no animation.

Mcdohl

I need to finish this up. I've been distracted by Kingdom Hearts. I think I'm supposed to find some secret pathway in Phantom Village.

Well, if you're doing the optional stuff (Phoenix Tower & Bahamut) then yes.

A secret pathway leads to the Black Chocobo.

Look behind
the pub
to get started :)

Mcdohl

Thanks guys!

I CRUSHED Necrophobe.

It was an incredibly easy fight.

My strat (based on your feedback :) ):
  • Set 3 characters with Summon ability
  • Equip Hermes Shoes to main Summoner
  • Catoblepas the fuck out of the barriers with all characters
  • Item heal with the non-Summon character
  • Before killing the last barrier cast Golem
  • Once the barriers are down, spam Leviathan and keep Golem up
  • Wait for
    Gilgy
    and cry

Now onto the final boss! Any tips?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know how familiar you are with it, so general tips.

-Magic lamp Odin instantly kills the back part of the final boss (except on mobile/PC). You can take advantage of that to either kill it first or save it for last.
-The bottom part is the most deadly, but vulnerable to Catoblepas. Chance to hit is very low though, likely between 10 and 15 percent. For the curious, you can calculate the effective hit rate for this specific situation with (Level+32)*0.2 with the result being your hit rate percentage.
-You don't want to leave just one part alive since it starts using double actions including super powerful stuff like Meteor and Almagest. You want to kill the last two parts as close together as possible to avoid that or you will likely lose.

If you can take out the bottom+back with catoblepas+lamp ASAP, you should be able to win relatively easily. The last two parts will only use dispel (lame), physicals (golem blocks them), and grand cross. Grand cross is the only dangerous one, but even that it's unlikely to put you in a situation you can't recover from. Like... some combination of zombie, instant death, and berserk on every character at the same time.

Monk is hella weak at that point. Give it summon so it can at least act as support, maybe do a bit of damage, and maybe throw catoblepas at the bottom part.

Mcdohl

Don't know how familiar you are with it, so general tips.

-Magic lamp Odin instantly kills the back part of the final boss (except on mobile/PC). You can take advantage of that to either kill it first or save it for last.
-The bottom part is the most deadly, but vulnerable to Catoblepas. Chance to hit is very low though, likely between 10 and 15 percent. For the curious, you can calculate the effective hit rate for this specific situation with (Level+32)*0.2 with the result being your hit rate percentage.
-You don't want to leave just one part alive since it starts using double actions including super powerful stuff like Meteor and Almagest. You want to kill the last two parts as close together as possible to avoid that or you will likely lose.

If you can take out the bottom+back with catoblepas+lamp ASAP, you should be able to win relatively easily. The last two parts will only use dispel (lame), physicals (golem blocks them), and grand cross. Grand cross is the only dangerous one, but even that it's unlikely to put you in a situation you can't recover from. Like... some combination of zombie, instant death, and berserk on every character at the same time.

Monk is hella weak at that point. Give it summon so it can at least act as support, maybe do a bit of damage, and maybe throw catoblepas at the bottom part.

Thanks...I am unfortunately on PC, so no Magic Lamp for me D:

SkyOdin

I suggest using Golem to protect against the physical attacks the front part use, while using Pheonix to revive the people that inevitably get killed. In other words, the basic strategies you have used so far will continue to work. The big problem for you is going to be Almagest, since it can shred characters with low hit points. Your best bet might be to give the Monk's HP +X% skills to the Summoner, at the very least.

Boney

Banned
Magic Lamp Odin definately works on the mobile version and I'm still puzzled where that rumour came from. So I'd figure it's the same for PC.

Has to be through the magic lamp, regular summon will always cast Gugnir.

Also, in case you didn't know, Syldra when equipped with an Air Knife deals the same damage as Bahamut for half the MP.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Magic Lamp Odin definately works on the mobile version and I'm still puzzled where that rumour came from. So I'd figure it's the same for PC.

Has to be through the magic lamp, regular summon will always cast Gugnir.

Also, in case you didn't know, Syldra when equipped with an Air Knife deals the same damage as Bahamut for half the MP.

That's good to know, I've only ever seen comments saying Odin was fixed to work like normal on mobile.

Also worth noting that Leviathan can't be boosted during a FJF run (Magus Rod doesn't boost water), making Syldra the best offensive summon.

SkyOdin

Does it have to be magic lamp Odin? Summoner Odin wont work?

Basically, when a Summoner summons Odin, the game first checks to see if any of the enemies on the field are Heavy (immune to instant death), and if any of the checks come out positive, Odin will perform Gungnir instead of Zantetsuken. However, when the Magic Lamp summons Odin, that initial check is not made at all. Instead, the Magic Lamp will always trigger a Zantetsuken.

Alright, I got my Magic Lamp and I'm heading into the Rift. I had a quick question about my party composition though. I have the fully-powered Chicken Knife, and 3 of my party members managed to get Rapid Fire. Is it worth it for any of them to try and use that? Because the only ones who can really take advantage of its strength are my Chemist and Ranger, and I'd rather not have them in the front lines and cast Golem every fight unless it's a boss.

Mcdohl

And I won! Pledge fulfilled :)

gcwtrWyl.jpg

lol at all the status ailments, but at least all of them survived :)

It took me like 6 attempts.

I got lucky with Catoblepas in some of them but eventually Grand Cross got me pretty bad.

Somehow in my actual winning run I won without Catoblepas.

Just spamming the fuck out of Bahamuts, Phoenix, Golem, and Carbuncle.

So happy to have completed the fiesta :)

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Phoenix Tower was a struggle. 30 levels and you couldn't run away from any battles. I also wish this game gave more exp. Only two characters leveled up while I was in there.

Now I think I'm either supposed to go back to castle with the other weapons or try and fly into one of the black holes.

Mcdohl

Phoenix Tower was a struggle. 30 levels and you couldn't run away from any battles. I also wish this game gave more exp. Only two characters leveled up while I was in there.

Now I think I'm either supposed to go back to castle with the other weapons or try and fly into one of the black holes.

Floors in the Phoenix Tower are very small, and the actual number of random encounters it not that bad if you rush through the floors.

As for level, I've learned that job level > level in this game.

Boney

Banned
Floors in the Phoenix Tower are very small, and the actual number of random encounters it not that bad if you rush through the floors.

As for level, I've learned that job level > level in this game.
Pheonix Tower needs you to guess the door to the staircase and can lead to a lot of encounters. But yeah, lots of enemies even stop giving exp in it's entirety and instead give out tons of AP. Let's you mix the jobs. Level 35-40 are enough with whatever fiesta party to beat the game really. Just need the hp to survive Almagest.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pheonix Tower needs you to guess the door to the staircase and can lead to a lot of encounters. But yeah, lots of enemies even stop giving exp in it's entirety and instead give out tons of AP. Let's you mix the jobs. Level 35-40 are enough with whatever fiesta party to beat the game really. Just need the hp to survive Almagest.
That sounds high to me ;) Depends on the jobs though.

Right now I am at the end of world 2 having difficulties beating Exdeath. My party is Thief/Knight/Beserker/Red Mage and are all at level 18. Earth Shaker and Zombie Breath destroy my team, especially the Red Mage. Are there any strategies with my team or will I have to gain some levels?

JC Lately

Basically, when a Summoner summons Odin, the game first checks to see if any of the enemies on the field are Heavy (immune to instant death), and if any of the checks come out positive, Odin will perform Gungnir instead of Zantetsuken. However, when the Magic Lamp summons Odin, that initial check is not made at all. Instead, the Magic Lamp will always trigger a Zantetsuken.

Huh. Glad I read this; I just got Odin last night and was just going to skip getting the Magic Lamp. The final battle would have been a shitty time to realize my mistake!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Right now I am at the end of world 2 having difficulties beating Exdeath. My party is Thief/Knight/Beserker/Red Mage and are all at level 18. Earth Shaker and Zombie Breath destroy my team, especially the Red Mage. Are there any strategies with my team or will I have to gain some levels?

Probably need to gain levels, about the only things he's vulnerable to are level 2 old and slow, and he counters the latter with haste making it a bad option unless you are able to reflect it onto him. Neither of which help you.

For the first half of the fight you want to focus on dealing as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. Obvious, but pretty much all you can do. If you can get to the second phase things get better.

You really want to be wearing reflect rings to make the second half easier. You can steal them from reflect mages on the lower floors of the castle, they are the rare steal but the mages don't have a common steal. Four reflect rings make the second half a breeze.

Boney

Banned
Yeah you really need reflect rings, and actually not even 4 of them. Have the knight keep aegis shield. I would have the Red Mage with an Elven mantle and main gauche so you're at least protected from the physical attacks and have him focus on support. While the rest focus on dealing as much damage as possible.

I doubt you have 'em but artful dodger or equip swords would be good to have on the Berserker as well. This is probably going to be the toughest battle in the game but you really only need to beat the first phase if you have the reflect rings.

JC Lately

Hmm so just got Odin and the magic lamp and I'm asking myself: do I really need the other tablets?

I don't have a black, white, or time Mage, so I don't need their ultimate spells. I already unsealed the Magus Staff for my summoner, Apollo harp for the bard, and Assassin Dagger for the chemist when they aren't mixing things (which is almost never). All I really need are the last few summons: Bahamut, Phoenix, and Leviathan. Which if I remember right, I don't actually need the tablets to get, right?

Hmm so just got Odin and the magic lamp and I'm asking myself: do I really need the other tablets?

I don't have a black, white, or time Mage, so I don't need their ultimate spells. I already unsealed the Magus Staff for my summoner, Apollo harp for the bard, and Assassin Dagger for the chemist when they aren't mixing things (which is almost never). All I really need are the last few summons: Bahamut, Phoenix, and Leviathan. Which if I remember right, I don't actually need the tablets to get, right?

Good amounts of AP though

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Blue/Summoner/Bard/Chemist?

Nah, no need to do more than the Pyramid.

Get Mighty Guard
Get any missing songs
Upgrade equipment at Phantom Village
Stock up on items and mix ingredients

Leviathan and Bahamut are useless, Syldra is as good or better when boosted and costs less MP. Phoenix is alright but not necessary, and the tower is a hassle.

You should be good for both super bosses too.

Might be the most broken job combination you can get.

Probably need to gain levels, about the only things he's vulnerable to are level 2 old and slow, and he counters the latter with haste making it a bad option unless you are able to reflect it onto him. Neither of which help you.

For the first half of the fight you want to focus on dealing as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. Obvious, but pretty much all you can do. If you can get to the second phase things get better.

You really want to be wearing reflect rings to make the second half easier. You can steal them from reflect mages on the lower floors of the castle, they are the rare steal but the mages don't have a common steal. Four reflect rings make the second half a breeze.

I leveled up the team to 21 and was able to finally take him down. I had already stolen 4 reflect rings so I was ready for phase 2 however my team couldn't last long enough to get into that phase. Getting more HP fixed that. Once I got to the second phase the rest of the fight wasn't too challenging. Now time to take on world 3.

Damn, guess I'm underleveled my team except for Lenna are level 31. Lenna's 30.

JC Lately

Blue/Summoner/Bard/Chemist?

Nah, no need to do more than the Pyramid.

Get Mighty Guard
Get any missing songs
Upgrade equipment at Phantom Village
Stock up on items and mix ingredients

Leviathan and Bahamut are useless, Syldra is as good or better when boosted and costs less MP. Phoenix is alright but not necessary, and the tower is a hassle.

You should be good for both super bosses too.

Might be the most broken job combination you can get.

Thanks for the tips! Already got mighty guard and all the songs, as well as some good locations to grind various mix components (Dragon Fang and Turtle Shells specifically). Not sure where to get Dark Matter though. That shit is basically an I Win Button. Might still try for Bahamut since the trip up to him is pretty easy. Need to double check prices for Phantom Village equipment. Any good Gil grinding spots? Aside from Gil turtle?

As an aside: This game has put me in a nostalgic mood for FF. What is considered the definitive version of FF1? Haven't played that one in like a decade. Thinking about playing it when I'm done with this run. I have access to PS3/4/TV, Wii U, PC, and of course, iOS.

SkyOdin

Thanks for the tips! Already got mighty guard and all the songs, as well as some good locations to grind various mix components (Dragon Fang and Turtle Shells specifically). Not sure where to get Dark Matter though. That shit is basically an I Win Button. Might still try for Bahamut since the trip up to him is pretty easy. Need to double check prices for Phantom Village equipment. Any good Gil grinding spots? Aside from Gil turtle?

As an aside: This game has put me in a nostalgic mood for FF. What is considered the definitive version of FF1? Haven't played that one in like a decade. Thinking about playing it when I'm done with this run. I have access to PS3/4/TV, Wii U, PC, and of course, iOS.
The NES version is the original version, if you want the old-school experience.

The Origins version (PS1/PSN) is based on an earlier Wonderswan color port, and has some slight gameplay tweaks: characters will now automatically retarget enemies if their old target dies, unwanted spells can now be replaced, the inventory system was rebuilt to be more like modern FF games, and boss hp was increased to match some of the difficulty changes. It also has an optional easy mode with reduced difficulty. It also adds some music.

The Dawn of Souls (GBA) version of FF1 includes increased exp gains and changes to the magic system, but it also includes four optional dungeons. It is generally easier than the original version, and has lots of new purchasable items and significant changes to stat progressions. It also further increases the hp of bosses and certain other monsters. Also includes some music changes, I believe. Screen resolution is of course lower than the other non-SNES versions.

The 20th Anniversary edition (PSP) is similar to the Dawn of Souls version, except it adds an additional optional dungeon and associated superboss.

FInally, the smartphone version of the game is basically identical to the 20th Anniversary edition, except it is missing some features of the PSP version and suffers from some serious bugs (such as being stuck with mostly minimum hp increases on level-up instead of the normal randomized increases on level-up).

So, I would say that any of the Origins, Dawn of Souls, or Anniversary editions would be good to play, based on your preferences.

Dark Matter can be farmed in the castle where the legendary weapons are by fighting Exdeath's Soul. It's a guaranteed drop, but that fight is annoying as all hell because he's got more than a few instant kill moves.

Prototypes also drop them, but those are in the Sunken Walse Tower, so you're going to need to be moving back and forth from the sub to the tower every couple minutes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can also use the thief knife and steal Dark Matter. They are a common steal from those eye enemies in the cave in the rift.

Dark Matters aren't even necessary though. You would want one for Shinryu, but other than that most of the strength of the chemist comes from their support options and not their offense.

I still need to grind for Dragon Fangs and Turtle Shells. I was thinking about stopping around 20 for each since I already have enough Dark Matter.

SkyOdin

I always went back to Drachenvale to grind up Dragon Fangs from the Zombie Dragons. If you have a thief, you can try stealing Dark Matter from the same enemies. They appear pretty regularly in the first cave room, and they always drop a Dragon Fang. I don't actually know if there is any better place outside of the cave portion of the Rift.

I also generally stocked up on Turtle Shells in World 1 and let that supply carry me to the end of the game, but I may have underused the Turtle Shell mixs as a rule.

Top Bottom