• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2016: Upgrade to a Better You

Quick question since I've never had Bard before: Do buff songs like Swift Song accumulate faster with more characters singing?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question since I've never had Bard before: Do buff songs like Swift Song accumulate faster with more characters singing?

I think it does since the stat boost should be applied when the bard would get a new turn. That said, I'm not sure if there are any situations where you would need two bards singing the same buff. Even against Omega you only need one singer for Swift Song while two use Romeo's Ballad.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was whitems mage, and just pulled time mage after the water crystal. Am I doomed? I was hoping to start killing.

Nah, breaking rods should make the next leg of the game very easy.

If you struggle with the random encounters you can run from them. Liquid Flame is the only boss between the water and fire crystals, and should die to a couple frost rods (just don't use them on the hand form!).

Even beyond that, Ifrit also dies to a couple broken frost rods, and Byblos falls to a couple flame rods. So your time mage can annihilate the next three bosses without breaking a sweat.

If you want to grind for enough money for it, the only two bosses between the water and earth crystal that rods don't destroy are Sandworm and Archeoaevis. Crayclaw dies to thunder rods, Adamantoise dies to frost rods, Soul Cannon dies to thunder rods.

Boney

Banned
It would be nice if I could get a new job since I gained a new character.
Oh sure, but since you specifically paired Time Mage with Galuf I was confused, since you can swap them around as many times as you want during a run.

i.e. All characters can master the 4 jobs

And if you're really not feeling the party you can swap them out for a tiny donation with Gilgabot

Mannn, a Blue Dragon jut obliterated my team in Exdeath's castle. I think it must've been 3 since it had a 3 next to its name despite only having one sprite on screen.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Would be nice if it was that cheap. Gold hairpin helps if you got it from the barrier tower.

Probably slightly MP heavy since it basically takes the place of an ability from the Thief and Ninja. Flee and Smoke are free and do the same thing, but they take up your ability slot. Time is obviously far more versatile.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Jumped in for another run. Regular 'ole run.

And probably an easy one too, starting with Blue Mage.

Blue just trounces everything up to the water crystal.
- Karlabos dies in like 3 goblin punches if you are level 5.
- Beat up and vampire Siren's living form and aero her undead one, dies before she revert from zombie form.
- Magissa dies in 2 goblin punches at level 8.
- Garula is vulnerable to both Flash and Toad, both of which you can use to entirely nullify it.

Mystic Knight. Cool, decent job that is occasionally excellent. Only had it one or two times before. Should go nicely with Blue Mage too.

Without rod cheese, Liquid Flame is easy but lengthy. Once the tornado and hand are out of MP it's not threatening anymore. Blizzara and vampire, with some potions for the Mystic Knight at low HP since he lacks self-healing.

Bard from the Fire crystal. I feel OP and I haven't even gotten to the crystal yet.

Samurai from Earth. Can't play with Spellblade but still has !Blue and !Sing. And maybe Iainuki.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Second world is usually the least interesting part of the game. Lot of walking, random encounters that I just run from, and scenes/dialogue. Not many bosses.

Blitzed through it pretty quickly cheesing pretty much all of them one way or another. Mostly

z9kkQuT.png
Ih5O2Jq.png

Plus a little Death Claw and Iainuki.

No way to avoid the Chicken Knife's flee, but oh well. Might still come in handy.

agradine

Second world is usually the least interesting part of the game. Lot of walking, random encounters that I just run from, and scenes/dialogue. Not many bosses.

Blitzed through it pretty quickly cheesing pretty much all of them one way or another. Mostly

z9kkQuT.png
Ih5O2Jq.png

Plus a little Death Claw and Iainuki.

No way to avoid the Chicken Knife's flee, but oh well. Might still come in handy.

+5 Speed to your Bard or Blue Mage, if nothing else.

Not that you need any additional help with that party.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
"Alright, time to beat Omega! Should be easy with these jobs."

fEJppJz.png

Oh god damn it

After that initial massacre it was easy.

pSsGJEl.png

Get some revenge on Apanda for being such a roadblock last time. Silence Spellblade kept him from doing much, and Dark Spark+L2 Old nullified what he did have left.

b8Rn3AG.png

Blue magic is cheating. I could have used L5 Death against Apanda but decided against it. Not against Azulmagia though.

tOw0MHO.png

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Omega has innate Reflect, right?

Yeah. Stuff like Spellblade, Coral Sword, and Trident work though.

Shinryu is going to take work. Going to need to get Shirawhateva on everyone to help avoid physicals, steal some bone mails with the thief knife (urgh!) and maybe one more aegis shield. Then I can tank most of the attacks while blasting with the strongest attacks possible. Probably Apollo's Harp, boosted Aeroga, and two flareblade users.

Or go with more evasion and wonder wand for Berserk. That would probably be more difficult during the fight itself but faster as a whole just from not needing to those steals or needing to deal with the tidal wave opening.

Neku89

So, this happened a few moments ago:

Party is Black Mage/Berserker/Dragoon/Beastmaster. I used the old Berserk from Wonder Wand strategy, giving a Dragon Whisker to the Berserker and Jump to the Beastmaster (and maximized evasion on all characters). After a couple dozen tries Shinryu missed like 80% of his attacks and I won... The screenshot doesn't actually give justice to my luck, since both Krile and Lenna were alive until the last two attacks (which connected). Faris blocked every single blow with her Genji Shield and managed to not lose her Blink, heh.

Do I have any chance against Omega? Any useful released monster I can use?

EDIT: also, since this is the first time I killed Shinryu during a Fiesta, can I tweet Gilgabot #victoryshinryu immediately or do I have to beat NED first?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, this happened a few moments ago:

M76I109.jpg

Party is Black Mage/Berserker/Dragoon/Beastmaster. I used the old Berserk from Wonder Wand strategy, giving a Dragon Whisker to the Berserker and Jump to the Beastmaster (and maximized evasion on all characters). After a couple dozen tries Shinryu missed like 80% of his attacks and I won... The screenshot doesn't actually give justice to my luck, since both Krile and Lenna were alive until the last two attacks (which connected). Faris blocked every single blow with her Genji Shield and managed to not lose her Blink, heh.

Do I have any chance against Omega? Any useful released monster I can use?

You might have been able to use magic and have it be a bit less luck reliant. Put !Black on the Dragoon, have something cast mini on them, then equip the Genji Shield. That should result in 100% physical evasion (possibly 99% effectively, not sure). So wonder wand berserk it and dodge everything. Mini doesn't affect magic damage, so you could still damage him at full strength.

And you can do victory tweets in any order.

Neku89

You might have been able to use magic and have it be a bit less luck reliant. Put !Black on the Dragoon, have something cast mini on them, then equip the Genji Shield. That should result in 100% physical evasion (possibly 99% effectively, not sure). So wonder wand berserk it and dodge everything. Mini doesn't affect magic damage, so you could still damage him at full strength.

And you can do victory tweets in any order.

Thanks! Yes, I knew that Genji+Mini=100% evasion, but I wanted to use my precious Dragon Whiskers since I spent countless hours killing Stingrays for them 😅

I spent a day trying to figure out what I was supposed to do after the Library of the Ancients sunk. That ship was well hidden in the corner. I had to run from surgate to karnak and the desert and Moore so many times...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
pgdV3jx.png

Shariwateva on the three non-Samurais for 25% physical evasion, plus flame/ice shields offered 40% evasion. Elven mantles offered an additional 25%. Not everyone got everything obviously - Blue Mage had to have hermes sandals to use the Wonder Wand immediately, and Bard doesn't have a shield.

Initial plan was to have everyone use their best offense, but with Shinryu's decent physical evasion the Samurai and Mystic Knight weren't able to do as much as I'd have liked. They ended up focusing on support, with the mystic knight reviving and the samurai casting haste via the masamune. With haste I was able to keep up and not get overwhelmed by Shinryu's speed, never having more than one character down at a time (and usually zero thanks to evasion). Bard did most of the heavy lifting with Apollo's harp at around 5000 damage a pop, with the Blue Mage also dealing a respectable 1.3k or so via boosted Aeroga.

I forgot how powerful Exdeath is. He's got to be top 3 in Final Fantasy villains.

Got my first batch of legendary weapons. The three I picked is pretty much all I need since I pretty much have all magic jobs with the exception of one. The Magus Rod doesn't seem that good, might switch back to Dancing Dagger.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Magus rod is excellent with a black mage, since it boosts damage for every element they have without needing to switch rods. Also good for Summoner and to a lesser extent Blue Mage.

With just a little luck, Blue Mage completely breaks Exdeath. Didn't screenshot the Dark Spark hit, but once that's in it's all over.

5BKUg8W.png

Level 2 Old. Once his level is reduced his physical damage hits 0. Magic is still dangerous, though the likes of Flare and Holy still can't deal much more than 500 damage. But Blue Mage can deal with that too.

XMZuShw.png

A few more...

XGfdYXi.png

And eventually...

coQhbYf.png

He can't cast anything. His physicals do nothing. Bard is racking up levels, made even easier by the fact Exdeath has a special physical that doesn't provoke counters, or stop sing/confuse. So the game is just running as I make this post, Exdeath attacking in all its futility.

The damage boost doesn't seem that big to me. I'd rather have the jitterbug and mystery waltz attack, especially mystery waltz since I don't have Osmose and I run through MP pretty quickly.

gblues

Banned
After the usual world 1 slump I'm about to push through to the end. I've just finished grinding out my job levels at Castle Bal.

Final team: Thief, Ninja, Mystic Knight, Samurai.

I'm basically going to Zeningage my way through the rest of the game, I suspect.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The damage boost doesn't seem that big to me. I'd rather have the jitterbug and mystery waltz attack, especially mystery waltz since I don't have Osmose and I run through MP pretty quickly.

It's 50% more damage. Assuming -aga spells are doing 1500 per attack that's a 750 damage boost.

And you can change weapons mid-fight if you need to drain MP. If you are in the merged world you should have Osmose though, you can get it as soon as you get the ship.

Unsurprisingly Neo Exdeath was a joke. I took one vacuum wave and a couple dispels. A few physicals were blocked.

RCpbLlM.png

Boney

Banned
It boosts the elemental spells by 50%

They're garbage at attacking but why waste a turn when you can cast destruction.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Trying PureChaos. Got Time from wind which is pretty nice. Freelancer easily handles the first part of the game. Then I got Thief from Water, which is also nice. I get to enjoy all the benefits of having a thief while avoiding their biggest flaw - that terrible start up to the water crystal.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Summoner from Fire. Gilgabot handing out the good jobs like candy on Halloween.

Going through the library with a full level 10 party is not a good idea. Why do I so often end up being right at level 10 here?

Still level 10. Archeoaevis' Frost is a 1HKO. :( I could get by that if it would stop using frost as the first attack each time during the ice part.

Avoided frost and won. Berserker from earth. This party seems familiar...

neoemonk

Finished my No 750 natural run.

Knight
Mystic Knight
Ninja
Dragoon

This was also my first Brave Blade run and I'm happy to say NEVER AGAIN.

It was a total glass cannon party. My levels were 38-39, and the final battle ended up being largely RNG dependent. Exdeath actually killed me four times whereas I beat the Neo form on the second time, and could have won the first time had I counted HP (I'm lazy and hate doing that). I tried to estimate and was off by more than 5000 HP.

Link Man

Banned
Oh yeah.

Final jobs are Freelancer, Beastmaster, Monk and Mystic Knight. Fun times ahead.

I was worried about Fork Tower, BUT NO LONGER.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
After many tries I finally stole a gaia hammer AND didn't die to earth shaker. Definitely want that steal when I can give the Berserker huge magic power from Summon.

Lower level now than I was in my first run with these jobs, if I gain ABP efficiently maybe I can finish lower than level 18.

agradine

I was actually pretty certain that % chances to dodge didn't stack, but that each additional source was rolled separately. So that anyone trying to attack a mini'd Samurai with a Main Gauche, Genji Shield, Elf Cloak, would have to successfully get past five different dodge chances just to hit. Really low chance overall but not completely perfect evasion.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was actually pretty certain that % chances to dodge didn't stack, but that each additional source was rolled separately. So that anyone trying to attack a mini'd Samurai with a Main Gauche, Genji Shield, Elf Cloak, would have to successfully get past five different dodge chances just to hit. Really low chance overall but not completely perfect evasion.

Mini doubles evasion, it isn't a separate check. I'm not sure if it just doubles listed evasion or every check though. I think the main gauche has a separate check from the other evasion weapons too.

neoemonk

I've never gone after the superbosses before. Are there parties that won't be able to defeat them? I was reading some strategies online and they won't apply to my party.

I did a few test runs and got steamrolled. As far as I can tell I'm going to need four coral rings and four fire rings at the bare minimum.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've never gone after the superbosses before. Are there parties that won't be able to defeat them? I was reading some strategies online and they won't apply to my party.

I did a few test runs and got steamrolled. As far as I can tell I'm going to need four coral rings and four fire rings at the bare minimum.

With natural you are probably out of luck. In a normal run you could definitely beat Shinryu with Dragoon+!Image. Probably not Omega unless you grind to insanely high levels.

You might be able to do it anyway but much more slowly (=greater chance of failure) if you got the Genji Shield with the Thief Knife and farm a Dragon Lance from Jura Aevis.

1. Get something to set mini your on Dragoon.
2. Equip Dragon Lance, Aegis Shield, Diamond Helm, Bone Mail, and Flame Ring.
3. Fight Shinryu. Keep trying until the Aegis Shield blocks the Tidal Wave (1/3 chance).
4. Immediately change to the Genji Shield for 99% physical evade.
5. Spam jump and hope you don't see Maelstrom+Lightning or a physical that gets by your evasion.

Damage output will probably be low due to mini though, meaning one of those two things are probably going to kill you before you can finish the fight. With some good luck it's possible though.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So, I'm in the Forest of Moore with a Mystic Knight, a Beastmaster and two Berserkers (and no death sickles). Any tips for the boss? Those elemental attacks are killing me faster than I can kill those crystal things and definitely faster than I can heal.

neoemonk

With natural you are probably out of luck. In a normal run you could definitely beat Shinryu with Dragoon+!Image. Probably not Omega unless you grind to insanely high levels.

You might be able to do it anyway but much more slowly (=greater chance of failure) if you got the Genji Shield with the Thief Knife and farm a Dragon Lance from Jura Aevis.

1. Get something to set mini your on Dragoon.
2. Equip Dragon Lance, Aegis Shield, Diamond Helm, Bone Mail, and Flame Ring.
3. Fight Shinryu. Keep trying until the Aegis Shield blocks the Tidal Wave (1/3 chance).
4. Immediately change to the Genji Shield for 99% physical evade.
5. Spam jump and hope you don't see Maelstrom+Lightning or a physical that gets by your evasion.

Damage output will probably be low due to mini though, meaning one of those two things are probably going to kill you before you can finish the fight. With some good luck it's possible though.

I already got the Necrophobe save point without stealing the Genji Shield on this run unfortunately. I was thinking on just doing a vanilla or chaos run without natural for my next run so I might get a party that has a better chance at the superbosses.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm in the Forest of Moore with a Mystic Knight, a Beastmaster and two Berserkers (and no death sickles). Any tips for the boss? Those elemental attacks are killing me faster than I can kill those crystal things and definitely faster than I can heal.

Did you get the flame shield in the forest, or flame rings? If so you might be able to solo it with mystic knight by using that and weaking the fire crystal so it uses fire spells to heal you while you pick off the other ones.

Failing that, death sickles, and reflect rings, the only solution I can think of is grinding to absurd levels so you can kill them before they kill you. Can't think of any catches that would work and Mystic Knight doesn't really have any good spellblades for that fight other than drain.

Top Bottom