• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2016: Upgrade to a Better You

SkyOdin

Fucking Giga Flare took me out before I could cast Shell on everyone. That's a damn hard boss! I almost feel like not playing not anymore.

Twintania? What team are you using? When Twintania is charging Giga Flare, it loses all of its defenses and stat immunities, even to instant death. So, there a number of ways to kill it or at least shut it down before Giga Flare goes off. For example, when I had to fight it with a Red Mage, I would just cast Toad on it when it was charging. That at least stopped the Giga Flare.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking Giga Flare took me out before I could cast Shell on everyone. That's a damn hard boss! I almost feel like not playing not anymore.

You should never see Gigaflare. When it's getting close (6 turns?) wait let your black mage get a turn and wait. Once it starts charging, cast break or death and you should win.

I can't even survive Mega Flare this time. Fuck this boss and after I lost to it all the other bosses got harder, pulling out moves they weren't doing before and getting more turns.

SkyOdin

I can't even survive Mega Flare this time. Fuck this boss and after I lost to it all the other bosses got harder, pulling out moves they weren't doing before and getting more turns.

If you are having trouble against Twintania, the best thing you can do is to stop attacking and focus purely on defense and healing. Its most dangerous attacks are Tidal Wave and Mega Flare, but those are just counters to physical and magical attacks respectively. If you don't attack, he can't use them.

If you are having trouble against Twintania, the best thing you can do is to stop attacking and focus purely on defense and healing. Its most dangerous attacks are Tidal Wave and Mega Flare, but those are just counters to physical and magical attacks respectively. If you don't attack, he can't use them.

If it even lets me get an action in. I just fought him for a third time now and I didn't even get an attack in. Tidal Wave, Tidal Wave, Ice Storm, Phoenix Down on Bartz, Ice Storm. Fuck, can I at least get a chance to cast Hastega?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just don't attack at all until the Gigaflare charge starts (and then use something that inflicts instant death - Break, Death, Banish, etc). You shouldn't see Tidal Wave or Megaflare if you aren't attacking since they only show up as counters.

Flame rings will negate the first two attacks (atomic ray or ice storm) unless they are physicals. But if you have the HP to survive them then hermes sandals are better since you can just heal between attacks.

SkyOdin

I got past the boss finally, but then Neo-Exdeath took me out with one hit.
NeoExdeath is a hard boss. However, if you have a White Mage, you are way better off than the bast majority of set-ups. Shell can reduce the damage from Almagest, hopefully pushing it into the real of survivable. Just make sure your party is fully buffed before you finish off Exdeath's first form. Don't be afraid to use every Elixer at your disposal either.

JC Lately

1243685F-597B-4A8B-BD7C-7F7A9EEAC1AA_zpsl35orvqz.png
6CD82B5C-9488-4C27-94AC-F64999D402C7_zpsemq1wdok.png

Let's do this shit.

agradine

Took some time off and just getting back into my second run. Knight/Ninja/Red Mage/Dancer at the beginning of World 2. Trying to figure out my end-game so I can plan out my job usage, since there are some AP-intensive abilities there. Figure the Knight and Dancer will both want Dual Wield, and Red Mage will probably fall back on Dualcast mostly. Not sure about the Ninja. Would Equip Sword be a worthwhile boost? Especially since Knight will also be using two knight swords and I'm not getting the Brave Blade?

Link Man

Banned
Took some time off and just getting back into my second run. Knight/Ninja/Red Mage/Dancer at the beginning of World 2. Trying to figure out my end-game so I can plan out my job usage, since there are some AP-intensive abilities there. Figure the Knight and Dancer will both want Dual Wield, and Red Mage will probably fall back on Dualcast mostly. Not sure about the Ninja. Would Equip Sword be a worthwhile boost? Especially since Knight will also be using two knight swords and I'm not getting the Brave Blade?
Equip Swords will boost strength to that of A knight, so there's that. !Dance would also be good on a Ninja since it would hit twice.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been running random 750 runs to try and get a Blue Mage finally.

One team still doesn't have a class yet as I just beat the Fire Crystal and have Bard/Chemist/Bard as jorbs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The later you get blue the less you get to enjoy it's insanity. Like using Goblin Punch to annihilate Karlabos and Magissa.

Oh yeah, I was supposed to beat this. I had tried fighting Ex-Death again, but still lost to his Neo form even after ensuring everyone had shell. After that A move, it's hard to keep people alive and not to mention I came into the rift with very few healing items. I'm can't remember if I can leave or not, but I don't feel like going through the whole dungeon again.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Use the magic lamp to summon Odin, that will kill the back part. If you can have the lamp ready so you only have to use it once, even better. The back is responsible for most of the magic attacks.

You can spam break against the bottom part with everybody with black magic, but at level 30-40 you would only have a ~8% chance to hit. Still, with haste and multiple casters attempting the odds aren't impossibly bad, you can probably get 8-10 tries. The bottom is responsible for Almagest.

If you are able to do that, the rest should be fairly easy. All the damage dealing attacks from there on will be physicals, which you can block with Blink. Grand Cross is annoying, but it's not very likely you will be put in a situation you can't recover from. A character inflicted with Old should be immediately KO'd and revived to prevent stat degradation. Lost stats are gone for the rest of the fight, but you can at least make the loss as small as possible.

The middle uses Grand Cross and the top uses the physicals. You want to take them out as close together as possible (ideally with the same attack). When only one part is left Neo Exdeath will start taking double turns and use powerful attacks like meteor and almagest. Killing the last two parts together will avoid this phase of the fight and make it much easier. Note that the middle has 5000 more HP than the top part, so if you do them perfectly evenly that one could still potentially get turns in and mess you up.

I don't remember your 4th job, but with black/white/time I'd have three black casters, two white casters, and one time caster. Since you have time you don't really need hermes sandals, so angel rings would be great to use.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Kill it ASAP. Break will do it immediately IF you can get it to hit, but if you have the damage output to kill it before it can use Almagest then that works even better.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The later you get blue the less you get to enjoy it's insanity. Like using Goblin Punch to annihilate Karlabos and Magissa.

Instead I get to witness the incredible power of four freelancers through 60% of world one. Gonna suck when I get those two bards the next time I play.

Buying the heavy armor in each town up to that point makes your team more or less immune to damage. You also can equip all the best weapons. You can heal. You can break rods if you really want to.

JC Lately

IT IS DONE! MY FIRST SUCCESSFUL FIESTA!

ExDeath's first form poses no threat with Golem up, so I took time to buff up for the main event. Once Neo showed up, all it took was shot of magic lamp and a few Catoblepas summons to neuter Neo ExDeath's offensive ablity. Only got hit with Grand Cross once, never saw Almagest.

Ya'll weren't kidding when you said this combo of jobs was deadly. Chemist in particular was a job I've always ignored in Final Fantasy. It is clear to me now that this was a horrible mistake. That job turned the whole Rift section into a straight joke. I'm think I might be spoiled for future fiesta runs, lol. That said, going to pass on the super bosses on the bonus dungeon. I'm just happy to have actually finished for the first time in... three attempts? Four? Next time, I'm definitely using the GBA version though. That fast forward option will really help the more slow parts of the game. Plus not being able to dash without a theif is straight bullshit.

See you next year FiestaGAF!

Now, where is my copy of Final Fantasy 1...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure anyone dabbles in the bonus dungeon. I've never touched it but IIRC it requires use of some specific jobs which kind of breaks it for a fiesta.

A shame you are passing on the optional bosses when you have easymode options for both though.

The bonus dungeon is where you can get the two new jobs right? I think I did it before.

Fighting Exdeath for the 4th time now. I tried concentrating on the back part, but I'm not sure if I was hitting the right part. You said there was a top bottom and middle, but there's also something on the lower right. Not sure if that's what you meant. Tried the bottom left and couldn't get it to die. I only gave 2 of my casters black magic though, so I have to concentrate on that, but Bartz casted Holy once on it.

Edit: Ah, it was the front one and I managed to kill it with Break on my 2nd try, but it didn't matter because Grand Cross fucked me over. It's a lot worse in this game than in IX, since in IX you can avoid most status ailments with abilities, but I got hit with death, confuse, zombie, and sleep.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There are four parts. I label them as top, bottom, back, and middle. These should be pretty close approximations.

wPsYqdu.png

Top mostly does physicals and vacuum wave.
Middle usually does grand cross (The laws of the universe etc) and the occasional dispel.
Bottom usually does almagest, when boss starts shaking it means it's charging.
Back uses a lot of powerful offensive magic and delta attack.

Top can be blinded (VERY hard to set), and physicals can be blocked by a lot of things (golem, blink, shields, some weapons, elven mantles, etc). Probably the least threatening part of the boss.

Middle can be paralyzed, which can help avoid grand cross. Grand cross itself is probably not going to kill you, but it will likely force you to spend a round or two recovering from its effects while other parts try to pick you off.

Bottom does almagest and not much else. It's the most threatening part since almagest can outright kill a lot of parties in one shot. It's vulnerable to break and old, but both are difficult to set. You want to focus on killing this one first.

Back part can be killed off by Odin from the magic lamp (and only from the lamp). Gravity spells work on it since it isn't "heavy," but because they don't have 100% accuracy they are going to miss very often due to the high level and magic evasion.

When any one part is left it takes double turns and uses a combination of maelstrom, almagest, meteor, and comet. Meaning you are probably going to die very quickly if you don't avoid this phase by killing the last two parts of the boss at about the same time.

Death/confuse/zombie/sleep is a super unlucky grand cross roll.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've finally run into a challenge that is forcing me to grind to an extrordinary level in world one.

My Jobs are Bard, Chemist, Bard. I just got the airship. Meaning my party is probably the worst offensive party in the game, four Bards.

In world one.

Your best weapon is that one Main Gauche from the castle. The other three have to deal with Mage Mashers. I've got both Elf Mantles thankfully. The rest of the equipment is terrible.

Sandworm I needed to get everyone up to 26 to beat it without using a ton of Elixirs. 26 is bad but not horribly so, I just ground out wolves because of speed reasons and the fact that since I'm grinding stuff out anyways I might as well get four flame rings. I'll also need four Angel Rings for Sol Canon, but that fight should actually be piss easy because of Hide. No the fight that is going to force me to level my ass off is one that many groups laugh at.

Code:
NAME: AdamanTiMi
LEVEL: 20                              EXP: 0
HP: 2000                               GIL: 0
MP: 125                                SPEED: 30
ATTACK: 31                             MAGIC POWER: 0
ATT. MULT: 18                          MAGIC MULT: 4
EVADE%: 0                              MAGIC EVADE%: 50
DEFENSE: 25                            MAGIC DEFENSE: 5
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: None
STATUS IMMUNITY: Stone, Toad, Mini, Float, Zombie, Sleep, Paralyze, Charm, 
Stop
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: None
CAN'T EVADE: None
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: Ice
CREATURE TYPE: None
IMMUNITY: Control, Catch
INITIAL STATUS: Armor, Shell
SPECIALTY: Critical
SPECIALTY EFFECT: None
SPELLS: 
CONTROL: Can't
BLUE MAGIC: None
CATCH: Can't
DROP (ALWAYS): Turtle Shell            STEAL (COMMON): Protect Drink
DROP (RARE): Nothing                   STEAL (RARE): Nothing
AI SCRIPT:
No Interrupt{
     Fight
     Fight
     }
{Fight,Fight,Specialty}
No Interrupt{
     Specialty
     Specialty
     }
{Fight,Fight,Specialty}

The Adamantoise. 25 defense is a TON in world one. Many enemies here have zero-ten. It cannot be stopped. It cannot be confused. That leaves my abilities to be...Regen via Mighty March and Hide, which is useless against a foe with only physical attacks.

I'm doing around 20 damage in the front row right now. It hits for 300+. Sure one lucky character will dodge 50% of those hits. I'm going to need to back row this. It has 2000 HP. I'm going to need elixirs. Lots, and lots...of Elixirs. Levels too, gotta get that multiplier up.

Link Man

Banned
I've finally run into a challenge that is forcing me to grind to an extrordinary level in world one.

My Jobs are Bard, Chemist, Bard. I just got the airship. Meaning my party is probably the worst offensive party in the game, four Bards.

In world one.

Your best weapon is that one Main Gauche from the castle. The other three have to deal with Mage Mashers. I've got both Elf Mantles thankfully. The rest of the equipment is terrible.

Sandworm I needed to get everyone up to 26 to beat it without using a ton of Elixirs. 26 is bad but not horribly so, I just ground out wolves because of speed reasons and the fact that since I'm grinding stuff out anyways I might as well get four flame rings. I'll also need four Angel Rings for Sol Canon, but that fight should actually be piss easy because of Hide. No the fight that is going to force me to level my ass off is one that many groups laugh at.

Code:
NAME: AdamanTiMi
HP: 2000                               GIL: 0
MP: 125                                SPEED: 30
ATTACK: 31                             MAGIC POWER: 0
ATT. MULT: 18                          MAGIC MULT: 4
EVADE%: 0                              MAGIC EVADE%: 50
DEFENSE: 25                            MAGIC DEFENSE: 5
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: None
STATUS IMMUNITY: Stone, Toad, Mini, Float, Zombie, Sleep, Paralyze, Charm, 
Stop
CAN'T EVADE: None
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: Ice
IMMUNITY: Control, Catch
INITIAL STATUS: Armor, Shell
SPECIALTY: Critical
SPECIALTY EFFECT: None
SPELLS: 
DROP (ALWAYS): Turtle Shell            STEAL (COMMON): Protect Drink
AI SCRIPT:
No Interrupt{
     Fight
     Fight
     }
{Fight,Fight,Specialty}
No Interrupt{
     Specialty
     Specialty
     }
{Fight,Fight,Specialty}

The Adamantoise. 25 defense is a TON in world one. Many enemies here have zero-ten. It cannot be stopped. It cannot be confused. That leaves my abilities to be...Regen via Mighty March and Hide, which is useless against a foe with only physical attacks.

I'm doing around 20 damage in the front row right now. It hits for 300+. Sure one lucky character will dodge 50% of those hits. I'm going to need to back row this. It has 2000 HP. I'm going to need elixirs. Lots, and lots...of Elixirs. Levels too, gotta get that multiplier up.

Ouch, sounds rough.

Boney

Banned
I don't see the appeal of the new mode that swaps for the new classes, especially when you can run into situations like that where it stops being entretaining. Although, if you're doing that, it doesn't hurt to know all the jobs in advance, seems fair enough.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't see the appeal of the new mode that swaps for the new classes, especially when you can run into situations like that where it stops being entretaining. Although, if you're doing that, it doesn't hurt to know all the jobs in advance, seems fair enough.

Actually the surprise is what makes upgrade interesting for me.

I made it to Neo Exdeath and my team of Knight/Thief/Beserker/Red Mage is getting destroyed by Almagest. I got to him at level 21 and had nowhere near enough HP so I levelled to 27 and I am still having the same problem. Is there any methods which could help or am I going to have to grind until I have the HP to survive?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I made it to Neo Exdeath and my team of Knight/Thief/Beserker/Red Mage is getting destroyed by Almagest. I got to him at level 21 and had nowhere near enough HP so I levelled to 27 and I am still having the same problem. Is there any methods which could help or am I going to have to grind until I have the HP to survive?

There's the insane luck strategy of magic lamp abuse. Use the lamp at minimum from Odin to Catoblepas, Odin kills the back and there is a very very very low chance you can kill the bottom (which uses Almagest) with Catoblepas.

You damage output is pretty poor with that party, so you will probably need to be at a fairly high level to be able to kill it before it gets several multiple Almagests off. Still could very well be faster to grind a ton of levels than repeatedly going through the fight hoping for the ~4% chance at Catoblepas doing the job.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So Archeoavis...is not easy as four bards.

Had to use 12 Elixirs, which is less than Adamantoise to be fair, and needed to be Level 33.

This is one of the weirdest fights in all of FF in that it starts as a high defense, medium offense monster that slowly changes as you kill it to a low defense, high offense monster.

That first phase is what makes this so hard for Bards, who are by far the worst class for this fight. Let's compare the other low offense classes.

Thief: Has no problem healing with 99 High Potions instead of ELIXIRS. Has medium armor, and two characters can be safe from damage by using back row okay weapons.

White Mage: Lower damage than even Bards, but has healing and Protect. The fight might take longer but you won't use resources.

Black Mage: Not normally considered a low damage class, but the final form is immune to all of your spells. Can heal via the flame ring, which you'd be dumb not to grind for if you had four of these.

Summoner: See Black mage, except you have Chocobo but worse healing.

Code:
NAME: ArchaeAvis (1st form)
LEVEL: 21                              EXP: 0
HP: 1600                               GIL: 0
MP: 2000                               SPEED: 30
ATTACK: 39                             MAGIC POWER: 1
ATT. MULT: 7                           MAGIC MULT: 4
EVADE%: 10                             MAGIC EVADE%: 0
DEFENSE: 30                            MAGIC DEFENSE: 6
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: Earth
STATUS IMMUNITY: Dead, Stone, Toad, Mini, Poison, Aging, Sleep, Paralyze, 
Charm, Berserk, Mute, Image(2), Image(1), Stop
CAN'T EVADE: Aerial
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: Air
CREATURE TYPE: Heavy
IMMUNITY: HP Scan, Control, Catch
INITIAL STATUS: (Always) Float
SPECIALTY: Slip
ENEMY SPECIALTY EFFECT
HP Leak
SPELLS: Breath Wing
DROP (ALWAYS): Giant Drink             STEAL (COMMON): Nothing
AI SCRIPT:
{Fight,Breath Wing,Specialty}
React:Death{
     Unhide Monster: ArchaeAvis (2nd form)
     }

NAME: ArchaeAvis (2nd form)
LEVEL: 19                              EXP: 0
DEFENSE: 24                            MAGIC DEFENSE: 12
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: Ice
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: None
SPECIALTY: Wing
SPECIALTY EFFECT: Adds Poison
SPELLS: Blaze
DROP (ALWAYS): Power Drink             STEAL (COMMON): Nothing
AI SCRIPT:
{Fight,Blaze,Specialty}
     Unhide Monster: ArchaeAvis (3rd form)
     }

NAME: ArchaeAvis (3rd form)
LEVEL: 23                              EXP: 0
DEFENSE: 18                            MAGIC DEFENSE: 18
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: Fire
SPECIALTY: Tail
SPECIALTY EFFECT: Adds Blind
SPELLS: Flame
DROP (ALWAYS): Speed Drink             STEAL (COMMON): Nothing
AI SCRIPT:
{Fight,Flame,Specialty}
     Unhide Monster: ArchaeAvis (4th form)
     }

NAME: ArchaeAvis (4th form)
LEVEL: 24                              EXP: 0
DEFENSE: 12                            MAGIC DEFENSE: 24
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: Lightning
SPECIALTY: Claw
SPECIALTY EFFECT: Adds Paralyze
SPELLS: Thunder
DROP (ALWAYS): Protect Drink           STEAL (COMMON): Nothing
AI SCRIPT:
{Fight,Thunder,Specialty}
     No Interrupt{
          Unhide Monster: ArchaeAvis (Undead)
          Display Text: ArchaeoAvis revived!
          Display Text: King Tycoon:  Astounding!
          Display Text: 'What life force!!
          Display Text: 'The power of the Crystals...?
          Nothing
          }
     }

NAME: ArchaeAvis (Undead)
HP: 2500                               GIL: 0
MP: 2000                               SPEED: 35
ATTACK: 42                             MAGIC POWER: 1
DEFENSE: 6                             MAGIC DEFENSE: 30
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: Air, Earth, Lightning, Ice, Fire
SPECIALTY: Fang
SPECIALTY EFFECT: Adds Charm
SPELLS: Breath Wing, Flame, Thunder, Blaze, Maelstrom, Entangle
DROP (ALWAYS): Hero Drink              STEAL (COMMON): Nothing
AI SCRIPT:
{Breath Wing,Maelstrom,Specialty}
{Entangle,Fight,Specialty}
{Flame,Maelstrom,Specialty}
{Thunder,Maelstrom,Specialty}
{Blaze,Maelstrom,Specialty}

The first form is what took all but one of the Elixirs. The second forms special does Frost, which you are immune to with a Flame Ring. The third form does Blaze, which HEALS you. Spent a good amount of time on this form. By the fourth form Faris was doing almost 200 damage a hit so it didn't take long. Bards may suck at a lot of things but a level 33 Bard is pretty fast!

Look at the defense on that first form. 30! That means my weaker characters were doing single/low double digit damage. The character with the Main Gauche did about 24-48 damage. I needed to get through 1600 HP doing at most 80 HP. That's twenty rounds of damage. Faris needed to always attack so she was never on healing duty. The reason I used Faris was she is the best character multiplier wise for Knife damage as she had the best mix of Strength and Agility.

There's the insane luck strategy of magic lamp abuse. Use the lamp at minimum from Odin to Catoblepas, Odin kills the back and there is a very very very low chance you can kill the bottom (which uses Almagest) with Catoblepas.

You damage output is pretty poor with that party, so you will probably need to be at a fairly high level to be able to kill it before it gets several multiple Almagests off. Still could very well be faster to grind a ton of levels than repeatedly going through the fight hoping for the ~4% chance at Catoblepas doing the job.

Finally able to beat him. I leveled up to 37 for the party and swapped abilities around to give my thief the Aegis Shield and 2 handed the Ragnarok on my knight. I was finally able to survive Almagest and once I took out that part of Neo Exdeath the fight was pretty easy except when there was one form left and he did a Meteor/Comet combo on my party. Luckily Bartz was able to survive and take it out with one hit,

I think I will attempt one more run this year. I won't attempt a low level run again unless I get a really good party. It took 16 levels to get strong enough in the end for my last run.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finally able to beat him. I leveled up to 37 for the party and swapped abilities around to give my thief the Aegis Shield and 2 handed the Ragnarok on my knight. I was finally able to survive Almagest and once I took out that part of Neo Exdeath the fight was pretty easy except when there was one form left and he did a Meteor/Comet combo on my party. Luckily Bartz was able to survive and take it out with one hit,

I think I will attempt one more run this year. I won't attempt a low level run again unless I get a really good party. It took 16 levels to get strong enough in the end for my last run.

Low level primarily works when you have jobs with options that basically make up for levels. I feel like my level 16 party is probably pretty close to the ideal combination for a low level fiesta run.

-Thief for fleeing from any random encounter you run into (all the inescapable ones are entirely avoidable). Stealing is also great, some good equipment available that way and those world 1 high potions. !Mug for Chicken Knife, but at low levels it's still going to be merely decent (~1K damage at level 16).

- Summoner is simply one of the best jobs you can get period, I doubt I need to explain this one.

- Berserker is actually amazing here. Death Sickle beats some of the annoying bosses, good physical damage throughout the game, and the Rune Axe (and Gaia Hammer's earthquake) is extremely powerful when supported by !Summon. Rune Axe could deal 2K+ damage at level 16.

- Time Mage is also one of the best jobs in general. Comet for damage independent of level, powerful support and statuses, can use the heal staff which is actually sufficient for the entire game at low levels.​

Replace any of those jobs and I think the losses outweigh the gains. Those jobs cover every possible situation you will come across and don't really need levels to do it. Even the Berserker is effective at lower levels thanks to the axe damage formula combined with their raw strength.

Jobs like chemist, bard, or blue are all extremely good and might theoretically allow for a better party, but you lose some of your situational coverage or require item/money farming that makes it difficult to not gain experience.

First half of W2 Exdeath is the only thing I remember having any meaningful trouble with.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My teams for the third and fourth run are:

Bard, Chemist, Bard, Red Mage

and

Black Mage, Summoner, Bard, Red Mage.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Press 'F' to pay respects.

World 2 is going to be extremely annoying. Only lucky thing is that I can farm dragon fangs super quick. Exdeath shouldn't be too bad either considering I'm level 33.

Still no Blue Mages though. Also Minotaur is going to be a pain in the ass for the other party.

Link Man

Banned
World 2 is going to be extremely annoying. Only lucky thing is that I can farm dragon fangs super quick. Exdeath shouldn't be too bad either considering I'm level 33.

Still no Blue Mages though. Also Minotaur is going to be a pain in the ass for the other party.

I'm doing a Random No750 run right now, just got my 4th job.

Thief
Monk
Mystic Knight
Ranger

Probably the best party I could get under those circumstances, maybe replace Thief with Ninja. Barehanded really helps with the strength boost, though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I need to finish my last run, not the most interesting jobs though. Mime/Black/Geo/Dancer.

Do we have to get Mime if it is assigned? I guess it's just one extra dungeon if I'm already getting Flare, but in a lot of runs it would just be a hassle.

Replace any of those jobs and I think the losses outweigh the gains. Those jobs cover every possible situation you will come across and don't really need levels to do it. Even the Berserker is effective at lower levels thanks to the axe damage formula combined with their raw strength.

Jobs like chemist, bard, or blue are all extremely good and might theoretically allow for a better party, but you lose some of your situational coverage or require item/money farming that makes it difficult to not gain experience.

First half of W2 Exdeath is the only thing I remember having any meaningful trouble with.

The lowest I was able to do was 27 with a Dancer/Summoner/Time/Time party. I wasn't actively trying to go low level so I'm sure I could have beat it at a lower level. My first job for my new run is Time Mage so off to a good start.

Kaelin

Neo Member
I need to finish my last run, not the most interesting jobs though. Mime/Black/Geo/Dancer.

Do we have to get Mime if it is assigned? I guess it's just one extra dungeon if I'm already getting Flare, but in a lot of runs it would just be a hassle.

For the life of me, I can't find where rk said it, but when I asked him, the answer was yes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You have to get all assigned jobs.

Mime is pretty fun in these sorts of challenges as they frankly aren't great with a lot of jobs.

It's been a while since I last played, but picking up where I left off...

From what I remember, Gilgy posed a little threat, but I believe I hit him with Old via Ancient Sword, making most of his attacks, except for Jump, ineffective. Bottomless Bog ruled the swamps. The Tyrano dropped to !Gaia Cave-in, so I saved a Phoenix Down. !Gaia Twister against Abuductor, and Cave-in helped greatly at Drakenvale. Against the Dragon Grass boss, one Cave In and one Earthquake ended that fight quickly. Needless to say, !Gaia pretty much dominates at this point in the mobile version.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Did boring things with boring party. World 2 is a slog.

Beat Gilgamesh on the boat. That's where I had stopped, because I needed to go back and buy items since I used all my healing items on the bridge Gilgamesh fight and never really restocked.

Got four reflect rings in the barrier tower, which got me 6 levels and some money.

aBMSU4M.png

For the first time in a while a boss rolled around that these jobs were ideal for.

a55FWqB.png

Met the turtle and pillaged Moore. Up next: A long stroll through the park.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I normally love grinding in this game. I'll frequently get four flame rings, I've gotten four death sickles more times than I can remember yet I hate having to get four reflect rings. Luckily I haven't had a party in a few years where I felt I needed to to beat Exdeath.

One of my two remaining parties needs to grind a bit to be optimal. Bard/Red Mage/Black Mage/Summoner. If I want doublecast on the casters, well, that's quite some work.

The other party has plenty of levels and I only need one character to get Doublecast. Red Mage/Bard/Bard/Chemist. Gonna get some Dragon Fangs instead of throwing a ton of Golden Needles I think. It's a really great party with no good methods of offense until world three! I bought a ton of Thunder Rods and will buy a Ton of Poison Rods just to speed things up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Was going to try to finish up this run tomorrow and maybe do one more if I got some fun jobs. But somehow my save got screwed. Don't feel like doing these jobs again, so I guess I'm done until next year.

Currently hitting a wall named Exdeath (World 2). Beat Gilgamesh and Enkidu without any trouble, then went into the Barrier Tower. At first, I thought about grinding for Reflect Rings, but decided against it due to the potential tedium. Plus I have a White Mage, so I'd be getting Reflect soon enough. Defeated Atomos with !Spellblade Sleep; it had a lot of HP, so the battle took a while, but Atomos only got one attack in before going to sleep. Went to Ghido's Cave, got a Staff of Light from a Metamorph (Thank you !Gaia Cave-In), then grinded for Gil/EXP a bit with the Dechirers around Moore.

Went through Moore, got the Aegis Shield, and fought the Crystals. I made sure to take them on methodically, concentrating on one crystal at a time to prevent multiple super-moves. I also prepped my party with Shell and Protect to reduce damage. When I was down to 2 crystals, I was a bit freer with the !Gaia castings, since Branch Spear would inflict over 1000 damage (and the Binding spell would cast Slow on all of them), so they were defeated quickly.

I fought a bit more with the Dechirers for more Gil, to buy plenty of Hi-Potions and Phoenix Down, then headed off for Exdeath's Castle. Most of the enemies were no trouble thanks to Sonic Boom and !Spellblade Break (the latter of which felled Carbuncle). Gilgamesh was another straightforward battle, thanks to Protect/Shell and !Spellblade Drain. Then it was time for Exdeath. The first battle was a disaster; I was level 30, so of course, my party was devastated by Lv. 3 Flare. So, I leveled up to 31 with the monsters in the Castle, and faced Exdeath again. My party lasted quite a bit longer this time, partially due to Blink/Shell, but there's still the big issue with dealing enough damage. Well, the mobile version apparently fixed that long-standing bug that prevented Exdeath's inherent Regen from activating, so this time, he regains around 300 HP every so often, creating a damage floor for making progress.

!Spellblade Drain does around 500 damage per hit from the front row, but it seems that a hit from the Staff of Light (a Holy-elemental weapon), wielded by my Red Mage, does over 900 damage from either row. !Gaia, which has been helpful in most of the battles so far, doesn't really have anything useful against Exdeath. I also made the mistake of not stocking up on rods in World 1, so I don't have any useful Rods that I can break, just a bunch of Poison Rods that do 0 damage to Exdeath when broken. I can think of a few potential strategies to help alleviate this problem:
a) Gain more levels, maybe up to Level 34 or 37. At least that'd help with survivability.
b) Go back to Ghido's Cave and get another Staff of Light, since that seems to be getting the best damage results so far.
c) Have Red Mage (front-row !Spellblade Drain or back-row Staff of Light) and White Mage (Staff of Light) on the attack, Geomancer on Heal/Blink/Shell duty, with the Mystic Knight using !Spellblade Drain for some extra damage.
d) Grind out Dualcast for my White Mage. Perhaps that would make it easier to deal with the Dispel counters.
e) Go crazy: Let's see, a broken Staff of Light casts Holy for around 3900 HP. So if I were to grind out, say 8 Staves of Light, I could keep breaking them to defeat Exdeath in a few rounds. The only problem,
6.25% drop rate for the Staves... Sheesh...

I guess I'll try some more stuff and see what works.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You wouldn't actually need that many, really only about four. If you can get to his second AI phase you can make heavy use of white magic and win. Can avoid his physicals with Blink and all the spells are reflectable, aside from meteor which he can use near the very end of the fight. But hopefully you won't see that.

You wouldn't actually need that many, really only about four. If you can get to his second AI phase you can make heavy use of white magic and win. Can avoid his physicals with Blink and all the spells are reflectable, aside from meteor which he can use near the very end of the fight. But hopefully you won't see that.

Thankfully, it turns out I didn't need to grind at all. I fought Exdeath again, but this time, I was more methodical (and quite a bit lucky). White Mage Bartz and Geomancer Lenna were tasked with Healing/Blinking/Shelling, Red Mage Krile was attacking with the Staff of Light from either row for 900-1000 damage, while Mystic Knight Faris attacked with !Spellblade Drain from the front row for 300-400 damage. Luck came into play when Exdeath mostly stuck with separated attacks during his later phases, and thankfully, he didn't use Meteor at all. With the strategy in play, especially with Bartz and Lenna outpacing his Dispel counters, only one person died during the battle, and that was Bartz due to the Doom at the start. Eventually, an attack from the Staff of Light finished off Exdeath.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Staff of Light has saved my butt on more than one really difficult Exdeath fight. I've had parties where my best bet was to just get four of them and break em.

Top Bottom