• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX coming to PC & Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax

Banned
So what are the odds we'll finally see some FFIX love in KH3 with the timing of this port? I'm cautiously optimistic.

So what are the odds we'll finally see some FFIX love in KH3 with the timing of this port? I'm cautiously optimistic.

I want some Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest love, to be honest. No one ever said that it was Disney meets Final Fantasy. It's always been Disney meets Square. They've just only used Final Fantasy characters up to this point.

MrT-Tar

I want some Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest love, to be honest. No one ever said that it was Disney meets Final Fantasy. It's always been Disney meets Square. They've just only used Final Fantasy characters up to this point.

KH 3D had the main characters from The World Ends With You as well as FF characters.

6759354247_be8300184d_o.jpg

I still can't believe that TWEWY hasn't got a sequel yet, or some kind of spiritual successor. I absolutely agree that some Chrono Trigger representation is needed in KH3 as well

Wouldn't really expect it. There's already a couple of FFIX characters and that's all the games that aren't VII, VIII or X (or spinoffs there of) seem to get (VI manages 3 , II and III get nothing) .

True Fire

Kingdom Hearts is a love letter to Nomura from Nomura. Expect Final Fantasy VII/XV love and nothing else.

I miss Ito. I hope he's being fed well.

atbigelow

Can't speak to 9, but in the case of 7 simply unlocking the FPS of battles fucked with all sorts of internal clock stuff in the way they ran, which is why they couldn't do it there. PC Modders tried to make it work for years, and actually did in some instances, but it was still temperamental and sometimes incredibly broken as a result. In this regard the 3x speed, where everything is tripled in speed evenly or whatever, was a good compromise.

These broader problems could of course be fixed and compromise would be a whole lot less necessary, but they might be more costly and time consuming to spend and SE is obviously making hard decisions on what is and isn't worthwhile for these ports. If they didn't think it worthwhile for 7, I'd struggle to see them thinking it so for 9.

Exactly my worry. I wish they would put some time to dig into these and make some legit updates. Not just get it to compile with SDL and put it on Steam. (Obviously it's more in-depth than that).

Even the FF7 Steam port was lackluster. They at least updated that one to 30 FPS (because Eidos had done that decades ago anyway). Just hoping that since they didn't have an existing PC port to use, they'd take the time to make updates.

Samus4145

I hope the game boosting features matches what was used in FFVII with regent health and limit breaks. It really helped the pacing of some of the more annoying battles.

antitrop

So I've played a good chunk of this game. Anyone explain why there's so much hype for speed up? Is the game slow?

Compared to VII and VIII, yeah. Even if you crank up the battle speed in the options, it feels like it takes forever just for the ATB bar to fill up. There also seems to be more of a delay between choosing an action from the menu and when that character actually does the command.

Terra

So I've played a good chunk of this game. Anyone explain why there's so much hype for speed up? Is the game slow?

Exactly the same feeling here. The battles never felt slow to me. And I played a lot of hours the PAL-version.
Probably the best game on PS1.

AgeEighty

It's slightly slower than the other games because it was pushing more graphics and driving the PSOne to its limits, but its slowness tends to be way overblown on GAF.

antitrop

It's slightly slower than the other games because it was pushing more graphics and driving the PSOne to its limits, but its slowness tends to be way overblown on GAF.
I think it speaks to the quality of the game, when the most glaring flaw people have to point out is that the battle system is a little slower than the series was used to.

Wow im so pumped about this. Im so excited i even bought ff8 on steam and thats not even close to being my favorite final fantasy. Does anyone have an idea about the release date is?

Also I know these games often get ported over to ps4 but does anyone think the older ff's would ever get ported to xbox one? I'm one of those weird gamers that grew up on jrpgs but now only play western games really. Still have a super amount of nostalgia for the old ones tho.

KarmaCow

I think it speaks to the quality of the game, when the most glaring flaw people have to point out is that the battle system is a little slower than the series was used to.

Eh, the loading and battle system felt significantly slower last time I played it (which was admittedly a while ago. A slow battle system in a turn based game is like laggy inputs in DMC-style game.

Timeaisis

I've beat FFIX ten times and never noticed the slow battle speed. I first read about it on GAF.

BasilZero

I've beat FFIX ten times and never noticed the slow battle speed. I first read about it on GAF.

Same here.

The one FF game I had a issue with being slow was FFVIII actually lol.

Also man I'm so damn excited - wish they would give us a actual release date D:

This better not be a stealth release.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hey Falk I know you do this on your personal time and you're still on that Valkyria chronicles music remaster. But any plans of doing a fan made re-orchestration of this in the FAR future as a mod? lol

Actually that Valkyria Chronicles music remaster thingo (for everyone else, this was an unofficial hobbyist modder thing) is on hold because... uh... reasons.

Reasons which will become clear later this year.

I think.

As for other hobbyist things, my 2016 is really, really packed, so I don't want to start something I know I won't finish or even make significant progress on for a long time.

FFIX is a great game but the slowness is just too obvious and it is much slower than most other games in the series so it is a valid complaint. The game chugs a lot and it directly affects gameplay. That slowness is why it is not in my top 3. This port could potentially get it there.

kurahador

Same here. Unlike other turn based jrpg, battles in FF9 never felt tedious for me as the music was great and most enemy idle movements made it seems like they were dancing to the tune.

dickroach

it's bothering me how everyone's calling this game so slow.
I used to think so as well till I played it again a few years ago and went into the config menu and changed "battle speed" to max from the start. it's not any slower than FF6-7-8. and if it is lemme get a youtube video comparison.

I used to think so as well till I played it again a few years ago and went into the config menu and changed "battle speed" to max from the start. it's not any slower than FF6-7-8. and if it is lemme get a youtube video comparison.
The battle loading times are the main issue.

Slaythe

Play that shit on PAL version and it's horrendous.

The battle loading times are the main issue.
seconds of black screen, followed by seconds of panning around the battle environment and loading the enemies/characters. Then the ATB is a little slow and actions take forever to actually execute. Sometimes when they do it's like: oh that command I picked a while ago!

dickroach

I'll take the arguments cuz I haven't played the game in years, but I'm hoping someone will seriously take me up on that youtube video thing. I'd love to see a comparison of battle speeds between FF games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom