• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX coming to PC & Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished this game but didn't finish VIII. However why was this game so forgettable? Maybe I missed something, but the game felt way too linear and I don't recall there being much side content.

Ludens

Banned
I think this is what happened: the original release date was 21st January, but SE decided to delay the game, maybe because this week other games like RE0 released.
But they forgot to update something, so the game went up on new releases tab while it was not intended.

Tizoc

IpDAgCi.gif

Yeah no
You all did this to yourselves
S-E got nothing to do with it
Various games have had this same thing happen to them on Steam.

Syril

I finished this game but didn't finish VIII. However why was this game so forgettable? Maybe I missed something, but the game felt way too linear and I don't recall there being much side content.
The big thing was the Chocobo Hot & Cold quest which lasted most of the game and I enjoyed more than the actual story.

I think this is what happened: the original release date was 21st January, but SE decided to delay the game, maybe because this week other games like RE0 released.
But they forgot to update something, so the game went up on new releases tab while it was not intended.

Reasonable guess.

But would they release it the same week as Tomb Raider?

Banned
If it doesn't let me use the dpad like the FFVII and VIII ports it'll be a no buy from me. Hard to go through menus and choose attacks with an XB1 joystick.

We don't even know if it's scheduled for a January release now.
It was "Early 2016", so it could be SE opted for a February release, after Rise of the Tomb Raider anyway.

Honestly it's the smart thing. I was locked into buying Rise of the Tomb Raider at launch... until FFIX got announced with the January date. Then it instantly became "lol guess I'm buying TR at <$40 in two months". Now I may very well end up buying TR when it goes live next week.

Tizoc

S-E has everything to do with it, they forgot to update the internal release date.

Yet it's not something unique to S-E, I've seen this happen to various games before.
Plus haven't all previous FF releases had pre-orders go up (with their prices)? This didn't happen to FF9 and that is a big tell that it wouldn't be released on that day.

Unai

Yet it's not something unique to S-E, I've seen this happen to various games before.
Plus haven't all previous FF releases had pre-orders go up (with their prices)? This didn't happen to FF9 and that is a big tell that it wouldn't be released on that day.

No. Some of them, Lightning Returns included, didn't have pre-order at all.

Why on earth does it only have partial controller support?

They didn't have a date for VI either and just released it. People are focusing a bit more on this release, because it's never been on PC.

Okay, I didn't know that, well we have to wait I guess that would be our best bet.
I hope still S-E is giving an ETA at least for FF IX.

Grzi

The game has much more side content than FFVIII or even FFVII.
The Chocograph sidequest alone is much more robust than all of the sidequests in those two games combined.

I think the reason is that it's pretty much butt-ugly. I mean, most PS1 games are butt-ugly in their own ways, the previous two Final Fantasy games included, but FFXI tried to do a more whimsical tone with anthro animals and wacky proportions, but the color pallete of the game is very gloomy. There's a weird disconnect with the way everything looks.

Don't hit me, it's my favorite polygonal FF, but for reasons completely removed from the visuals.

Corpekata

Banned
Not sure why people think it'll force analog menus on you. It was likely a holdover from the old PC ports of VII and VIII and their Dinput support, and IX never had a PC version. The other FFs on Steam let you use the Dpad in menus

aravuus

Not sure why people think it'll force analog menus on you. It was likely a holdover from the old PC ports of VII and VIII and their Dinput support, and IX never had a PC version. The other FFs on Steam let you use the Dpad in menus

I don't think anyone's actually thinking it'll be like that

We're just cautious, is all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom