• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

There's a fest coming up at the end of June, you should save your mythril for that. Equipment is for the most part what makes characters good so which of your characters is the best is totally dependent on what relics you have.

Don't worry too much about the advanced stuff now, Try to clear as much of the temporary events (like the FF8 event running now) as you can, then work on the realm dungeons. Feel free to use growth eggs and equipment upgrade materials if you feel like it, those things are not scarce.

As for abilities, Full Break and Lifesiphon are probably the first things you should be aiming to craft, when you can.

Xetherion

Hello, all

I started this game last night out of boredom. I have some gacha experience (FFBE before those rates killed me/I got super bored with the content), so I understand the general concepts, but, I was hoping I could get a little help with the intricacies of RK.

• So it seems that this game is tied to equipment more than the baseline character? Or are there certain characters that are head and shoulders above?
  • When I started I drew with the free mythril and get a 5* Blitz Blade that has been helping me cruise through content. Is it worth dumping all of the upgrade material (20 giant scarlettite) into it or is there a tiered list of weapons I should be looking out for?
  • What are (if any) the crucial abilities I should craft asap? Or are those inconsequential until I get higher levels, since I am just brute forcing my team through everything with 5 physical attackers (Tyro, Wakka, Kain, Cloud, Laguna)
  • I am currently between level 13-15 on my squad. Should I invest my growth eggs or keep those for the major players (whomever they may be)
  • I currently have 55 mythril, should I do a 11 pull or are there future banners around the corner that a brand new person like myself should wait for?

Thanks in advance! I am sure you are all sick of these questions by now, but, any help is appreciated
Welcome!

As Aero said, relics are what really make characters stand out, so your best characters will depend on what relics you pull.

Upgrade mats are very common so feel free to use them. The Blitz Blade is an outdated weapon but it will still serve as a good stat stick, especially in VIII dungeons, as equipment gets a synergy bonus when you use them in the same realm they're from. This synergy bonus gets exponentially higher when the weapon is at higher level too, so definitely upgrade your weapons when you can.

Crucial abilities, okay this is a big one.
  • Protectga
  • Shellga
  • Magic Breakdown
  • Power Breakdown
  • Curaga/ja
  • Life Siphon
  • Elemental spells/spellblades (for hitting weakness target scores)

You should use your growth eggs on whatever characters you pull relics for normally, but since you're just starting out you might want to spend your eggs now just for the power boost to some of your characters so you can clear more of the current event.

As for what banner you should pull on... there are some 1/2 price banners up now and more coming, plus fest banners in a few weeks that have more high-tier relics on them than usual. However, these banners have relics for many different characters so you might get stuff for characters you don't have yet. You can eventually get items called Soul of Hero or something like that and use them to unlock characters, but if you want relics for characters you have now it's better to pull on the VIII banner 1 (it sounds like you have some of the VIII characters already since you have Laguna).

Edit: After looking at the event it seems you should have gotten Selphie, Irvine, Rinoa, and Laguna. If you opt to pull on the VIII banners, you should definitely pull on the VIII banner with Selphie's Ultra SB as it has her healing relics and Irvine's support relics, which will help you clear harder content more than just Rinoa and Laguna's DPS stuff.

As for what banner you should pull on... there are some 1/2 price banners up now and more coming, plus fest banners in a few weeks that have more high-tier relics on them than usual. However, these banners have relics for many different characters so you might get stuff for characters you don't have yet. You can eventually get items called Soul of Hero or something like that and use them to unlock characters, but if you want relics for characters you have now it's better to pull on the VIII banner 1 (it sounds like you have some of the VIII characters already since you have Laguna).

Edit: After looking at the event it seems you should have gotten Selphie, Irvine, Rinoa, and Laguna. If you opt to pull on the VIII banners, you should definitely pull on the VIII banner with Selphie's Ultra SB as it has her healing relics and Irvine's support relics, which will help you clear harder content more than just Rinoa and Laguna's DPS stuff.

That's a good point. Half price and fest banners will give the best overall "bang for your buck," but it may be a while before you can actually get all of the characters you pull relics for. Pulling on FF8 banner 1 will get you relics that you can use right now with the characters you already have.

If it were me, I would at the very least do a half price pull on the support banner. A good relic off that banner could be a game changer, and you can get at least one Soul of a Hero every few days (...right? I don't think I've ever actually used one lol).

H3xum

Thank you, gentleman

I have a bit more understanding of the game after reading those posts. So banners are equips and equips can grant abilities and said abilities are the real game changers.

I think I am going to pull once on the FF8 banner, because as you stated, those are characters I actually have.

I'll keep on grinding in hopes of being able to build some of the abilities

Thanks again!

I think I am going to pull once on the FF8 banner, because as you stated, those are characters I actually have.

Report back and let us know what you get. :) Lots of big prizes on that banner including Squall BSB, Irvine BSB and SSB, Raijin SSB, and Selphie USB. The Selphie BSB would be a great pull too because even though it's not considered a top-tier healer BSB, any healer BSB is better than none.

Balphon

18/96 Black Magic
21/64 White Magic

I sure do have a lot of healer stuff.

Thank you, gentleman

I have a bit more understanding of the game after reading those posts. So banners are equips and equips can grant abilities and said abilities are the real game changers.

I'll keep on grinding in hopes of being able to build some of the abilities

Thanks again!

A single pull on a FFVIII banner is probably a good move since it has the best potential to beef up your existing characters quickly. The Selphie/Squall/Irvine one is probably the better of the two.

The half-price-first-pull Nightmare banners will be around another few weeks and will all be good for you, so I'd try to do the half-price pull on each before they go away. They're the most efficient way to spend currency (mythril) in the game, and as the others said you can target whatever characters you get items for with the blank hero souls/memory crystals you'll get.

H3xum

Report back and let us know what you get. :) Lots of big prizes on that banner including Squall BSB, Irvine BSB and SSB, Raijin SSB, and Selphie USB. The Selphie BSB would be a great pull too because even though it's not considered a top-tier healer BSB, any healer BSB is better than none.

So I did one single 5 mythril pull because I had a Cid quest that if I did a rare pull I got 5 mythril right back, netting me a free pull

Pulled on the 2nd FF8 banner and got.....5* Betelgeuse....Seems...good?

Could you help me out with BSB, SSB, USB, etc?

So, what do I do, start leveling Irvine? Haha

Also, I received a Hero Spirit for completing the last FF8 event (on regular difficulty). What do I do with those/how do I even access them

Balphon

So I did one single 5 mythril pull because I had a Cid quest that if I did a rare pull I got 5 mythril right back, netting me a free pull

That was actually the first banner (it was released earlier and is consequently lower on the list).

Betelgeuse has Irvine's BSB (Burst Soul Break) attached. It's excellent and allows Irvine to apply multiple stackable stat debuffs to enemies. Level him.

Acronyms:

SB = Soul Break. Character-specific commands that require a portion of the character's soul break gauge to be used in battle. Each character has a default one that is generally bad; the good ones are tied to 5* equipment that must be drawn using mythril.
SSB = Super Soul Break. Like a soul break, but with more effects.
BSB = Burst Soul Break. Generally similar to a super soul break when used, but also sends the character into "burst mode," temporarily replacing Attack and Defend with special commands while also buffing all stats and adding haste.
USB = Ultra Soul Break. Like a super soul break, but with even more effects.
OSB = Overstrike Soul Break. A damaging soul break that is generally one big hit that caps at 99999 damage rather than 9999.
CSB = Chain Soul Break. A damaging soul break that begins an elemental "chain" that gives a stacking damage bonus based on the number of hits of that element. These are relatively new.

Also, I received a Hero Spirit for completing the last FF8 event (on regular difficulty). What do I do with those/how do I even access them

Main screen. Annex -> Hall of Rites -> Soul of a Hero

You just pick a character.

VERY good. Irvine's BSB is one of the very best in the game for its niche, which is debuffing enemies' stats.

In the future, consider only doing 11-pulls when you reach 50 mythrils. You got lucky this time but a single pull is very likely to get you 3* or 4* trash. A 50 mythril pull gives you 11 items for the price of 10, and more importantly you are guaranteed to get at least one 5* relic.

Xetherion

So, what do I do, start leveling Irvine? Haha

Congrats on getting a 5*! That one is Irvine's BSB.

BSB = Burst Soul Break, these give Haste and Burst Mode to the user in addition to their other effects. Burst Mode = +20% to all stats and the user's Attack and Defend commands are replaced with unique Burst commands. Burst Mode lasts 25 seconds i think.

SSB = Super Soul Break. Better than old regular Soul Breaks, which you won't even see any more usually. Standard fare now.

USB = Ultra Soul Break. These are 6* relics so they have even higher stats. The USB themselves usually offer more utility/effects than Super Soul Breaks. Soon the new USBs coming out will also grant the user an EX mode that is unique to each character that gives some buffs to the character for a set time.

Definitely start leveling Irvine. His BSB entry lowers the enemy ATK/DEF, and his burst commands lower ATK/RES and MAG/DEF respectively. These are hybrid breaks that stack with the breakdown abilities like Power Breakdown, Magic Breakdown, and Full Break.

The Hero Spirit is the item I was talking about that let's you unlock characters. You use them in the Hall of Rites, which you can get to by clicking The Annex button in the Home screen.

Edit: BTW, I would save the Hero Spirit for when you pull a relic for a character you don't have. Up to you though.

H3xum

Woohoo!

Thanks for the hype. I tossed some growth eggs on Irvine and his gun and slotted him into my party. Peace out, Wakka

I will continue to grind it out at this point and maybe do a full 11 pull before this banner ends.

In regards to my Hero Soul...is there anyone that would make an immediate impact on my team? Here is who I currently have...Tyro, Irvine, Kain, Cloud, Squall, Laguna, Wakka, White Mage, Black Mage, Rydia, Rinoa, Selphie and Ranger

As always, thanks in advance

Edit: I saw your edit late so here is an edit of my own. That makes sense to hold my Hero Spirit for a potential big relic, thanks!

ultra7k

Woohoo!

Thanks for the hype. I tossed some growth eggs on Irvine and his gun and slotted him into my party. Peace out, Wakka

I will continue to grind it out at this point and maybe do a full 11 pull before this banner ends.

In regards to my Hero Soul...is there anyone that would make an immediate impact on my team? Here is who I currently have...Tyro, Irvine, Kain, Cloud, Squall, Laguna, Wakka, White Mage, Black Mage, Rydia, Rinoa, Selphie and Ranger

Edit: I saw your edit late so here is an edit of my own. That makes sense to hold my Hero Spirit for a potential big relic, thanks!

Hold on to the souls until you have a relic for a specific character is how I would do it, or you have an affinity for a certain character. Maybe grab a dedicated summoner as that is what you don't have at the moment.
Edit - didn't see the advice above.

If you can spare the mythril, White mage and Black mage lucky draws will help your relic pool tonight since you are guaranteed at least 2 5 stars.

friz898

Woohoo!

Hi. I usually spam this board with all kinds of replies but my PC been down and I have been really busy. Later if I think of something to help or you have future questions, I will definitely give advice as I can.

My votes on things in case you are keeping a Tally:

You really will never use a diamond/core character ever. Tyro has the symbol so you know what I mean. I use to call it FF 0.

Tyro is good at beginning since can do and use all. Later on he is really only good if you have some of his (game changing) relics.

Drain, Drainga, Drain Strike, and Leeching Leach all good in this game. Rulnga will get you a lot of mileage in dailies and story dungeon trash fights.

There is also shared and unique tiers of SB. Nothing important just saying if you see it.

like Chain, Ultra Soul Break fairly new. So far they are mostly healing and support. As someone said, they are basically SuperDuper soul breaks. Arguably, Bursts are the best in the game because you can run out of spells and ability uses but still get things done for 3-4 rounds with your Burst Mode abilities.

Speaking of which, grats on Irvine burst. Many here would be happy to get that today as well. BSSB and BSB same thing, Japan version calls them Burst-Super soul break.

Never spend mythril on refreshing stamina unless you are just having crazy wild fun. The story mode keep you supplied for a good long while. By comparison, I think most of us are at 186 or 188 stam, I forget which.

See a soul break you like for a RW (roaming warrior) then friend them, they then show up in your list to choose from.

Yes pull tonight if have 25-50 mythril and yes save souls for waiting to see which chars you get relics for and have access too.

Nightmare, Toement, Mote dungeons, and anything above say... 75/99 difficulty is still a ways off. Hard to gauge. The difficulty of the dailies is not an accurate measure of what difficulty you can do. As in 120 diff daily dungeon is way easier than 120 difficulty of anything else.

Thursday and Sunday big deals (sorta) around here. New content on those nights.

That's enough for now.

ccbfan

What *are* you going to spend those major orbs on, if not 5* abilities?

Super late reply but

Honestly I'm saving them in hopes of Dena finally allow 5*->6* orb/crystal conversion.

I mean I made my must have 5*s like

R2 Full Break
R2 Multi Break
R2 Lightning Dive (Have Kain BSB)
R3 Ultra Cure
R2 Tri Element Chaingas
2x R1 Entrust

Other than those my BSBs (Vaan, Agrias, Melfina, Apha, Rydia, Zell, Kain, Ysho, Relm, Eiko, Tidus, Ingus) and OSB (Lightning, Seph, Bartz, Agrias, Cloud) are more than enough for damage and defense.

jnWake

Pulled on the FFVIII banner and got this:

image.png

Seems like a good pull! I hadn't pulled a 6* in a while.

friz898

First try on d250 torment wiped me. Team fire burst, ice burst, earth burst with Eiko burst and Tyro KeepTome failed.

Now to try a last stand Blink deployment tactics build. Usually most successful with those. Deploy tactics kills them while I just try to stay alive.

Gotta hit the medals though and arrive in good shape. Last build did that then was laughed at by the Pigus Sisters

Edit: on mobile app, what is that fire hydrant paintball splatter thing next to handle?

Edit2: we should have option to sort accessories by HP. My 700 hp with realm synergy making it even better is useful on Relm 5400 hp or Eiko 5150 hp.

Nice pull! I like a dual white mage setup with a USB user with Diaga and prtoectga and a bsb user with ultra cure and shellga, or better ysh using magic breakdown.

Looking forward to tonight's pulls, hoping for a better run, so far I'm 1 USB cure, yuna, 2 dupe ssbs, 2 mostly useless ssbs but good for stat increases. So hoping for at least a new bsb or something for I which like most, im sorely lacking. A new sb for lenna would be greatly beneficial for the upcoming event.

friz898

Second try took all three pigs down to something like 5-15%.

Like I said before when doing these .. after RW Wall runs out a second time, it becomes a crapshoot at mercy of ATB gauge and RNG.

Great second try though.

I got Irvine's first SSB on Support draw....blind-slow one. Already have Penta so I got plus 10 attack essentially. That's it for 5 star. A SSB from eons ago.

Second try took all three pigs down to something like 5-15%.

Like I said before when doing these .. after RW Wall runs out a second time, it becomes a crapshoot at mercy of ATB gauge and RNG.

Great second try though.

That's about where I made it. I need a V weapon for Snow for the extra DPS.

For the new players: Top tip is to master Soul Breaks by equipping item and leveling it up in battle. Once it is mastered you can put on other weapons and armor when in a different realm and can still use Soul Break since it's now attached to your character and not the item in question.

Anustart

I will never pull on a white mage / healer banner. Medica is my most despised item to pull. But if I do pull the game is guaranteed to give me either damage entry medica, fire relic or earth. That's the only shit I can ever get. If there was a holy only banner id pull off banner.

H3xum

Thank you everyone for the continued support!

Quick question...I see the first elite dungeon in the FF8 event has an Irvine and Selphie memory crystal. My understanding of them are it'll let me level them beyond 50? Is it worth spending 33 stamina on that for me considering it's 45 difficulty and my party is only level 20-22? Are events like this the only way to get memory crystals?

Thanks in advance!

friz898

Quick question...I see the first elite dungeon in the FF8 event has an Irvine and Selphie memory crystal. My understanding of them are it'll let me level them beyond 50? Is it worth spending 33 stamina on that for me considering it's 45 difficulty and my party is only level 20-22? Are events like this the only way to get memory crystals?

Thanks in advance!

More about 1 or so come a week

It's worth it if you can beat it and not saving your stamina for anything else. You also get them in story mode but it's a long journey

WarAdept

Thanks in advance!

Ignore the difficulty rating. A team of level 50s can blast through up to difficulty 99 or so by simply using a RW OSB on the boss (pick a magical one) and using whatever SBs/abilities you have so far on the trash.

Get as far as you can in each event. Once you hit a wall, stop and go back to doing story missions to increase your stamina.

Thanks in advance!

My rule of thumb is you stand a good chance of winning if you're half the difficulty level provided you use wall. You can beat higher levels from that equation if u have good synergy and soul breaks.

You seem to fit those requirements and you want all the Memory Crystals you can get...so try it.

There are empty memory crystals in each event. Per an event there is one of:

Soul of Hero
MC1 break 50
MC2 break 65
MC3 break 80

That you can use on any characters you want.

Tidd

Why did I do this? Saw a bow, was hyped because I knew Maria's BSB is a bow it's her SSB.... 2nd relic was Marach's SSB. Wasted 25 mythril. I knew the banners are terrible but I somehow hoped for Cid's BSB.

Dumbass maracas from a realm with no content and Keeper's Tome. Happy for the tome, adds to Swiss Army Tyro. So long Lulu BSB... /cry
FYI: Lulu's BSB was a selection relic during the 3rd Anniversary in Japan. So if they don't change things you can pull on a certain banner there and then pick it afterwards as your choice if you still want it.

Got Penelo's BSB and Rosa's SSB from the WM Lucky

Got Serah's first SSB, Fusoya SSB (lol), and Papa's first SSB from the BM Lucky

No dupes which is nice and another healing burst to add to my collection.

4/22
2 dupes but a magic IV dagger, great for ninjas
And xiv minfilia bsb holy sword, so great to combine but need another

2 news are all ice all the time
Serah xiii bsb- anyone have and use this one much?
Lulu en-ice Ssb

Reasonably pleased

I have two Lulu ssbs one 8x ice and this new one 4x AOE en-ice. Need to check multipliers. Will I ever use Lulu? I have Laguna imperil ice. Hmm.

WarAdept

4/22
2 dupes but a magic IV dagger, great for ninjas
And xiv minfilia bsb holy sword, so great to combine but need another

2 news are all ice all the time
Serah xiii bsb- anyone have and use this one much?
Lulu en-ice Ssb

Reasonably pleased

I have two Lulu ssbs one 8x ice and this new one 4x AOE en-ice. Need to check multipliers. Will I ever use Lulu? I have Laguna imperil ice. Hmm.

Serah's BSB is the basic EnIce with x4 ST and x2 AoE.

Not bad, not fantastic. Just good.

Kenai

Got a dupe Keeper's Frock and Rydia's Odin whip for BLM. Not the worst pull but disappointing. Debating my WHM pull.

3/22

Cortana holy bsb
Edea dark SSB
Ysh prot shell regen

Does anybody use that Ysh over Keepers Tome?

I don't use it that often but it's extr stats for Ysh, and I can use it instead of SS2 in a raid if it's already covered and Pro/Shell isn't. Situationally useful, since Ysh and Tyro are both fairly common there.

Serah's BSB is the basic EnIce with x4 ST and x2 AoE.

Not bad, not fantastic. Just good.

I have this. It's nothing incredibly special but it comes out when a boss is ice-weak. Nothing else to say about it really. :)

Yeah it seems pretty normal, similar to the krile fire bsb I use all the time minus the status effects. I have snows bsb so any xiii ice weak bosses are going down hard.

1/11
Rosa BSB.

MBlink command will be great I guess.

A wrathable bsb heal can be really awesome in drawn out battles, that blink can come in handy even if single target.

5/22, 3 dupes.

New relics were Vivi OSB and Cloud of Darkness SSB. Pretty bad all things considered, only real saving grace is that my III synergy is pretty weak

Xetherion

3/11 on BLM:

Strago SSB, new. Proshellga + RES buff, might be useful for CM.
Hope OSB, dupe. Gonna have a very strong Mage thrown now at least.
Vivi OSB, new. 6* Fire+ stat stick, aw yiss! I wonder if Vincent can use staves... he can! Gonna love this combined with his enFire ssb and bsb!

Now i'm tempted to pull on WHM, but at 19/64 the dupe chance is so high... plus i already have most of the chase relics like Tyro bsb/usb, Ceodore bsb, Relm bsb, and Vanille bsb. No, i'll just wait for the Curaga medica banner.

ZangBa

Hope OSB, Porom SSB, Kuja BSB, Desch SSB (dupe) and Marach SSB.

Glad I got an AoE heal for FFIV. Don't know how I feel about the rest. I guess Kuja will pair well with Golbez so that's cool, Marach gets flushed because even my FFT CM team has no use for him and Hope's OSB is ok I guess.

Balphon

White Magic: 1/11 - Matoya SSB. Dupe, but at least the synergy helps.
Black Magic: 2/11 - Rydia OSB, Echo SSB1. Decent. Rydia OSB is rad looking as always.

Could've been better, could've been worse. Fills in some synergy needs and I'm glad to have something for Rydia. Puts Rydia and Echo at the front of my MC3 queue.

Top Bottom