• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Series development status

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So they are 70% done with LR in well under a year (They started full development back in August). Is it just me, or does this game sound like it is going to be an absolute train wreck considering everything they say they want to implement?

It's Toriyama. What did you expect? Sugar and Rainbows?

Midou

If only they skipped FFXIII-2 at first and spent this entire development time on FFXIII-2 instead of 3 games in the trilogy, we might have gotten a half-competent FF game. Should have made it like FFX-2, Lightning + Serah + Fang going around singing JPOP and fighting fashionistas.

If only they skipped FFXIII-2 at first and spent this entire development time on FFXIII-2 instead of 3 games in the trilogy, we might have gotten a half-competent FF game. Should have made it like FFX-2, Lightning + Serah + Fang going around singing JPOP and fighting fashionistas.

Can I pre order it?

If only they skipped FFXIII-2 at first and spent this entire development time on FFXIII-2 instead of 3 games in the trilogy, we might have gotten a half-competent FF game.

Square really got to the "every game must be a trilogy!" period of this gen super-late. When every other developer was putting out the third game in their publisher-mandated trilogies, Square was only getting to their second.

I don't think I would've wanted XIII-2 even with a longer development time though - I just don't care about that setting or the people in it.

Baleoce

I'd really like FFXV to be in the style of XII, but with a much deeper and interesting story. Perhaps tweak Gambiting so that it's not so automated, or that at least some things have to be manually controlled.

I think the lack of Versus in this statement means it's pretty likely to be touched upon at E3. Is the general consensus that they are using those assets for FFXV now?

Midou

Square really got to the "every game must be a trilogy!" period of this gen super-late. When every other developer was putting out the third game in their publisher-mandated trilogies, Square was only getting to their second.

I don't think I would've wanted XIII-2 even with a longer development time though - I just don't care about that setting or the people in it.

I agree completely, I just mean it may not have been such a pile of shit if they didn't try to pump it out in a year.

I hope the SE E3 presentation starts with announcement of Toryiama being fired.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Square really got to the "every game must be a trilogy!" period of this gen super-late.

Where's my Type series trilogy?

I agree completely, I just mean it may not have been such a pile of shit if they didn't try to pump it out in a year.

I hope the SE E3 presentation starts with announcement of Toryiama being fired.

It only used a cast of about 8 characters for the most terribly written plot since 3rd Birthday. Written by the same guy with his even worse writing buddy Daisuke.

Where's my Type series trilogy?

Maybe if Type 0 sold over a million, it would have...

e1001598cb5fa7e451b3011d578b4376.jpeg

Aurizen

You'd think the FFXHD collection should be near finished by now if they are gonna ship globally in 2013 o_O

Delayed, or buggy release, or last minute cram?

well, I think it'll come out in the summer still and early september counts as summer. but damn SE has a short time and there gonna have their games come out all the same time.

So they are 70% done with LR in well under a year (They started full development back in August). Is it just me, or does this game sound like it is going to be an absolute train wreck considering everything they say they want to implement?

It's going to be the most polished game in the series!

Aurizen

FFXIV counts as their summer release.

Due on 27th of August.

jeez they should really work on FFX HD and have that for a july release! i added the 2 percents of the 2 and divided by 2 and final fantasy X|X-2 HD about 75.2% done altogether. so its slightly above LR.

Midou

jeez they should really work on FFX HD and have that for a july release! i added the 2 percents of the 2 and divided by 2 and final fantasy X|X-2 HD about 75.2% done altogether. so its slightly above LR.

Yeah but 10% of FFX/X-2 HD is probably completed significantly faster than 10% of LR, not by much though I guess.

squareenixrealizationf9u1l.png

Versus' handling is just beyond incompetent at this point. Christ in fuck, SE...

It past incompetent years ago. Everything about it has been incompetent thus far. From how long its taken to get full development (2006 to 2010 wasn't full production), to how early it was announced (it was announced at E3 2006. Fast forward to E3 2013 and we aren't even sure it'll get a mention), to how poorly Square has handled information about it (radio silence for years, constant "please wait a little longer", making condescending "please understand that development is tricky" statements), to just how long the game has been in the works (Normura came up with the idea in May of 2005. It's now almost June of 2013).

I'm hoping we get the release date for FFX/X-2 HD at E3 and not just some vague "Fall 2013" or something like that. Sadly, that is probably my most anticipated FF game coming out this year.

Cidd

Square spreading themselves too thin, seriously can't they just concentrate on one or two games at a time? wtf...

All of those are in the final stages of development. (less than six months of development left)
Take into account that XIV 2.0 is also growing closer to launch then I really wouldn't be surprised to discover that much of SE is moving onto Versus and the next mainline FF - and that the Osaka team are working on KH3.

Aurizen

I'm hoping we get the release date for FFX/X-2 HD at E3 and not just some vague "Fall 2013" or something like that. Sadly, that is probably my most anticipated FF game coming out this year.

I really really really hope for july :'( august just before September 4th

I really really really hope for july :'( august just before September 4th

July would be great, but given the percentages in the OP, I don't know how likely that would be to happen (especially if they have to localize additional stuff like Last Mission). :( Hopefully we'll find out more at E3!

dark_chris

Gold Member
I love Final Fantasy 8. I consider it the best FF game.
But making it for PC is kinda pointless really... Why not just rerelease it with trophy support and up the graphics a little?

But then again, this is Square. A company of disappointments

Aurizen

July would be great, but given the percentages in the OP, I don't know how likely that would be to happen (especially if they have to localize additional stuff like Last Mission). :( Hopefully we'll find out more at E3!

12 days till E3 I hope they'll give us FFX HD news soon and Versus. its complete foolishness for them to withhold information like that.

luca1980

Banned
one could go as far as to say that in today’s times, making customers wait for years

it's not just years, it's half a decade lol

it started a generation (ps3\x360) with the announcement of versus\ffx14 online: now we are at the beginning of a new one now and they are taken between a ff14 2.0 and versus still needs to see the light of day lol

Go_Ly_Dow

All of those are in the final stages of development. (less than six months of development left)
Take into account that XIV 2.0 is also growing closer to launch then I really wouldn't be surprised to discover that much of SE is moving onto Versus and the next mainline FF - and that the Osaka team are working on KH3.

Indeed.

In a few months resources should be completely freed up to focus on what we want.

Famassu

I expected them to give half a crap about the title. 13 to 15 months of full development (if the Fall release is true)? They clearly want to make it for as little as possible as well as just shove it out the door as fast as they can.
Tons of reused content + familiar tools/development pipeline's efficiency improved to the max + a big enough development team and it's really not that hard to make a game in that time span. It's not unusual for games to only have 12-15 months of full production.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

I think most of ARR dev. team already moved into next projects considering the game is mostly completed and just on the polishing-phase right now. Probably the biggest team is on work to finish LR on time and soon after it will focus on versus.

Wiz

I'd rather they never started any of these projects and aimed all manpower on FFVersus/XV, but here we are.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Tons of reused content + familiar tools/development pipeline's efficiency improved to the max + a big enough development team and it's really not that hard to make a game in that time span. It's not unusual for games to only have 12-15 months of full production.

Yeah, actually there's something wrong when they take 2-3 yrs to do the same -.-'

I'm pretty sure LR will be a way more polished product than XIII-2 ever was.

Haters are going to hate it :)

Duxxy3

If all of those titles were cancelled right now, I would be fine with it.

All older titles and a one that I have zero interest in.

Midou

Yeah, actually there's something wrong when they take 2-3 yrs to do the same -.-'

I'm pretty sure LR will be a way more polished product than XIII-2 ever was.

Haters are going to hate it :)

Totally, with 50% as many playable characters they should be able to pump out a very polished product, pretty sure people will be like man this new Lighting Returns is really... polished.

Famassu

squareenixrealizationf9u1l.png

So Versus is exempt from this new strategy? Its handling is just beyond incompetent at this point. Christ in fuck, SE...

The damage is already done with Versus being announced way too early, now they are just following their current guidelines. Their marketing policy nowadays is to focus on games that are the closest to being released. They'll perhaps do a re-reveal of it @ E3 and a few previews after that in Famitsu etc. the following weeks, but only start really building up the hype once it's <6 months from release and stuff like XIV 2.0 is out of the way (slowly at first, with bigger & more showy marketing starting to show up once it's 1-2 months from release).

The hype schedule might go something like this, if it's re-revealed at E3 this year:

Versus re-reveal at E3 and some previews after that in magazines detailing some big features of the game & interviews with Nomura -> XIV 2.0's marketing builds up closer to its release while Versus hype gives way later in Summer 2013 -> one or two new short trailers after a few weeks after XIV's release (Gamescom? TGS?) but focus will be given more & more on X & X-2 HD and Lightning Returns in Fall 2013 -> once those are released and assuming Versus is the next big thing in line after Lightning Returns, the full marketing blitz will start gearing up later in 2013 (with perhaps a release in Q1 2014)

Top Bottom