• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Series development status

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Totally, with 50% as many playable characters they should be able to pump out a very polished product, pretty sure people will be like man this new Lighting Returns is really... polished.

XIII: 6 characters

XIII-2: 2 characters

LR(XIII-3): 1 character

???(XIII-4): O_O

Khrno

XIII: 6 characters

XIII-2: 2 characters

LR(XIII-3): 1 character

???(XIII-4): O_O

Lightning Plus, co-developed by Toriyama and Konami, a Love Plus game featuring Lightning for Vita.

It will be the pinnacle of Toriyama's career, and all Lightning fans will see their dream come true and make her their waifu.

XIII-4 will just be a 30-hour long non-interactive cutscene following Lightning, narrated by Lightning.

No.
My source inside Square-Enix tells me the main character's name will be Motomu, a lovable loser who must find his courage and save the great goddess, Lightning, so that she will fall in love with him and they can spend all of eternity with each other.

It will also not be called XIII-4.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
No.
My source inside Square-Enix tells me the main character's name will be Motomu, a lovable loser who must find his courage and save the great goddess, Lightning, so that she will fall in love with him and they can spend all of eternity with each other.

It will also not be called XIII-4.

XIII-T?

Midou

Lightning Plus, co-developed by Toriyama and Konami, a Love Plus game featuring Lightning for Vita.

It will be the pinnacle of Toriyama's career, and all Lightning fans will see their dream come true and make her their waifu.

Love Plus: Tsundere and Lightning.

This shit writes itself.

Midou

People would buy it too.

Well it would probably be really polished. Even moreso as the character trend puts FFXIII-4 at 1/3rd of a character, so it only has to be the top third of lightning, that should make for at least 3x more polish than Lightning Returns.

Folstern

I'll probably buy X/X-2 when they come up but I could care less to hear about an updated status on them. The same goes for LR and FFVIII (LOL).

I'm going to be ecstatic when the MMO and the Lightning Saga are over and done with. What a waste of a generation.

Midou

I'm going to be ecstatic when the MMO and the Lightning Saga are over and done with. What a waste of a generation.

I want to try out XIV but I completely agree. I very much want XIV and XIII to be done with entirely so we can move past a dark era of Square Enix. No matter how good XIV turns out to be, they still spent 2.5 years reviving what was essentially a dead MMO and moving a lot of resources to it to get it done.

Mxrz

Blah blah 10 blah versus blah.

Where the hell is XII-HD? Its incredible how well that game scales up in PCSX2. I'd love to see if SE could make it look even better since X-HD seemingly does.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Where the hell is XII-HD? Its incredible how well that game scales up in PCSX2. I'd love to see if SE could make it look even better since X-HD seemingly does.

Oh?

twewyioszsjii.png

Khrno

No matter how good XIV turns out to be, they still spent 2.5 years reviving what was essentially a dead MMO and moving a lot of resources to it to get it done.

That is 100% true, but as fans we can only hope that the game ends up being good (and so far it seems that way) and becomes just as profitable as FFXI has been. Was that not to happen, then the company will just keep drifting towards the mobile market more and more until there's nothing left from them on the console/dedicated handheld market.

Aurizen

I'll probably buy X/X-2 when they come up but I could care less to hear about an updated status on them. The same goes for LR and FFVIII (LOL).

I completely agree, I'm not a fan for VIII, LR or the MMO, I'm getting FFX|X-2 HD day one!

zeopower6

Maybe they're waiting for the 10th anniversary of that game? In which case it'd probably be a PS4/PSV title, lol.

Also I'm of the camp that kind of wants this XIV/XIII-thing to be over with. I enjoyed XIII but I'm ready for something new that isn't related to Lightning or Fabula Nova Crystallis. I wonder how things would have played out if XIV didn't end up being an MMO (though I get why they did it somewhat since there's a connection with XI / XIV and they won't get another chance until XIX) or if it didn't fail completely when it was first released.

It's a bit baffling how they've spent almost as much time if not more on XIV as they apparently have on Versus XIII...

Midou

That is 100% true, but as fans we can only hope that the game ends up being good (and so far it seems that way) and becomes just as profitable as FFXI has been. Was that not to happen, then the company will just keep drifting towards the mobile market more and more until there's nothing left from them on the console/dedicated handheld market.

I do hope so, I really do. This just seems like the definition of putting all your eggs in one basket.

It just seems like with that team they could have pumped out another full FF in the meantime, if only they didn't fuck up the game so bad the first time, how did the company who released FFXI that still has plenty of people playing today, release such a piece of shit game. No point thinking about it now though, at least they seem to be putting out something competent this time, if not perhaps too safe. I just hope it manages to stand out enough, since it generally seems less original than XI did.

Khrno

I do hope so, I really do. This just seems like the definition of putting all your eggs in one basket.

It just seems like with that team they could have pumped out another full FF in the meantime, if only they didn't fuck up the game so bad the first time, how did the company who released FFXI that still has plenty of people playing today, release such a piece of shit game. No point thinking about it now though, at least they seem to be putting out something competent this time, if not perhaps too safe. I just hope it manages to stand out enough, since it generally seems less original than XI did.

Tanaka, FFXI and XIV's original producer decided to be original and make something completely different to everything in the market, including FFXI itself, it didn't help that the game was rushed also due to the FNC games taking longer to develop than expected. Now Yoshida isn't trying to innovate, but to play safe following modern concepts (WoW, Rift, GW2), while retaining the focus on storytelling from FFXI and FF in general.

But yeah, all the manpower they used these 2 years to make ARR (and make V1 playable) could have be used to finish Versus, KH3, TA3, FFVr, etc.

Where the hell is XII-HD?

Might as well pack this little dream away in a suitcase and walk it up to the attic.
FFXII is fairly unpopular with the core FF crowd and I can't see S-E spending the money/resources to 'HD' it.

It'll be ok.

FFXII will love on forever.
In your memories.

Khrno

Might as well pack this little dream away in a suitcase and walk it up to the attic.
FFXII is fairly unpopular with the core FF crowd and I can't see S-E spending the money/resources to 'HD' it.

It'll be ok.

FFXII will love on forever.
In your memories.

What's that supposed to mean? Nomura fans?

Ricker

They are not mentioning Versus because it's going to be the small bomb/tap on the shoulder(like the infamous FFXIII moment) from Square at E3...FFXV:Versus...( IMHO).

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's odd that they wouldn't include a game that was supposed to have released by now.

I guess it is gone. :(

HeelPower

It's odd that they wouldn't include a game that was supposed to have released by now.

I guess it is gone. :(

No man don't worry.They can't talk about something they haven't revealed yet. If it at E3 nothing substantial is shown about versus , they might as well announced the cancellation.

HeelPower

where is this quote from?

Ign article that came about when versus was rumoured by kotaku to be cancelled and folded into FFXV. Its a translation of Wada's tweet.Now , more than ever, this rumour holds some merit.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/24/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-not-cancelled

Wada's twitter account.

The quote just irritated me because of the whole "if you saw the presentation" - yeah, that would be great. Let us see that presentation... something... anything.

It was one of the most anger inducing tweets ever.He even used a japanese equivalent of "lol".Its blatant trolling and shows how much he cared about pleasing fans.

Wazzy

Banned
Can't wait for FF VIIIPC! For a split second when I saw VIII included I thought I had missed some remake announcement. Now I want my VIII remake :(

zeopower6

The reason why Versus wasn't mentioned is probably because of that info ban they have on any info related to the game. When was the last time it was mentioned in a magazine in Japan anyway?

Soriku

The reason why Versus wasn't mentioned is probably because of that info ban they have on any info related to the game. When was the last time it was mentioned in a magazine in Japan anyway?

It's not a literal ban.

I think 2011 was the last time we actually got info and footage but they've talked about it multiple times in 2012 in different interviews. Though all we got then was "please wait for more info" or "the team is working hard on it" and so on.

Nibel

There's just one Final Fantasy game the world cares about right now, and they say nothing

Hopefully E3 will end this bullshit #ThePrinceWillCome

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's not a literal ban.

I think 2011 was the last time we actually got info and footage but they've talked about it multiple times in 2012 in different interviews. Though all we got then was "please wait for more info" or "the team is working hard on it" and so on.

Still waiting for Nomura's followup report...

Top Bottom