• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Series development status

Vashetti

Banned
Didn't sometime around 2011/2012 loads of news sites report that Versus was cancelled?

Maybe it was "cancelled", but not in the sense we think. Versus was cancelled, and reborn as XV for PS4, with help from Sony.

zeopower6

It's not a literal ban.

I think 2011 was the last time we actually got info and footage but they've talked about it multiple times in 2012 in different interviews. Though all we got then was "please wait for more info" or "the team is working hard on it" and so on.

Well, 'info ban/情報解禁' for Japan normally means "we have to remain tightlipped about it" or nothing specific is released until a certain point, at least from my experience. They still mention it, but never in much detail, just "blah blah we're working on it, please look forward to it, blah blah". I see it a lot in music when artists are able to talk about new releases and such, so I imagine it's sort of the same for games.

Also, didn't Nomura make some commotion regarding the date that they were going to lift the 'ban' on info sometimes this year?

Didn't sometime around 2011/2012 loads of news sites report that Versus was cancelled?

Maybe it was "cancelled", but not in the sense we think. Versus was cancelled, and reborn as XV for PS4, with help from Sony.

If it was 2011, that would be pretty soon after that CG trailer we got... I think most of the cancellation rumors came last year after we just kept getting nothing at all regarding the game other than the usual "We are still working on it." any time that it being canceled was brought up.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

If Square considers Versus a new FF then yeah sure.

Soriku

I don't remember that happening outside of Kotaku's one article which Wada laughed off.

But saying it got canceled doesn't make sense unless the game changed dramatically, hence it's like a completely new game instead of just a Versus rename/platform switch. Canceled is canceled.

But saying it got canceled doesn't make sense unless the game changed dramatically, hence it's like a completely new game instead of just a Versus rename/platform switch. Canceled is canceled.

I've heard rumors that the game was pretty significantly overhauled from the last time we saw gameplay footage, even down to the battle system being completely changed into something menu-based instead of Kingdom Hearts With Guns.

I sure as hell hope that's not the case - I've had enough of Square's attempts to make turn-based combat "interesting" post-FFX and would vastly prefer the KH-inspired mechanics Nomura came up with - but it has been bandied about some.

Kyon

Banned
I've heard rumors that the game was pretty significantly overhauled from the last time we saw gameplay footage, even down to the battle system being completely changed into something menu-based instead of Kingdom Hearts With Guns.

I sure as hell hope that's not the case - I've had enough of Square's attempts to make turn-based combat "interesting" post-FFX and would vastly prefer the KH-inspired mechanics Nomura came up with - but it has been bandied about some.

That was a gamefaqs rumor which Kagari shut down. That rumor meant nothing

Soriku

The menu-based combat rumor came from a guy making shit up on GameFAQs, just ignore it. He also said SE would show up at the Xbox One conference. Lol.

I don't think it got overhauled (rumors like that start from media silence) nor will they get rid of the action battle system. It is made by the (old) KH team after all.

That was a gamefaqs rumor which Kagari shut down. That rumor meant nothing

That's a very good thing. Versus is interesting because it's so different. I'd hate to hear it's been retooled into more of the same...especially after how dull XIII's combat system ended up being.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The menu-based combat rumor came from a guy making shit up on GameFAQs, just ignore it. He also said SE would show up at the Xbox One conference. Lol.

Did the guy specify which conference?

It's obvious he made it up out of anger

HeelPower

The future of the series is action combat.Its inevitable and , honestly, desirable at this point.You can almost never get bored of battles in KH.These guys know what they are doing. I would like higher difficulty and a use of block command and spacing though.

HeelPower

Then I would say he's lost credibility.

I've saved his rant and many others for reference.

Can't wait for E3.

Get those executioners ready! Maaan a lot of people will be butchered by the end of E3...Verendus...and multiple guys on gamefaqs spread "insider" rumours.This is gonna be fun! Zeal , Aryieles (or however you pronounce his name), psxphreak , verendus.

Miralda.png

zeopower6

Get those executioners ready! Maaan a lot of people will be butchered by the end of E3...Verendus...and multiple guys on gamefaqs spread "insider" rumours.This is gonna be fun!

GameFAQs 'insider' rumors never really pan out though (have they ever?) since there's never any punishment there if you do come up with some bull story. Verendus at least seems like he was pretty confident in what he was saying, though it would be kinda sad if he ended up being banned, especially since SE seems to be hinting at an eventual E3 reveal of some sort that may not necessarily be Versus.

Persona86

Banned
Get those executioners ready! Maaan a lot of people will be butchered by the end of E3...Verendus...and multiple guys on gamefaqs spread "insider" rumours.This is gonna be fun!

Miralda.png

Honestly I think there will be so much hype, so many announcements, so many surprises for Sony, Nintendo AND Microsoft that nobody will remember those guys. It's going to be an epic E3.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Get those executioners ready! Maaan a lot of people will be butchered by the end of E3...Verendus...and multiple guys on gamefaqs spread "insider" rumours.This is gonna be fun! Zeal , Aryieles (or however you pronounce his name), psxphreak , verendus.

Out of those only Aryilles or whatever seemed to be fine. Or make lucky guesses on BDFF.

But yes I expect great things from E3. Betrayals. Truth. Games. More games. And a 501 error on NeoGAF.

Soriku

There's still one on GameFAQs who might have some credibility behind him, Aryllies, who said All the Bravest wasn't Bravely Default when that trademark popped up, and in February he said SE confirmed BD's localization just a little bit before those Tweets that hinted at the localization came out.

He has more credibility than anyone else at the very least. Other claims he made were that in mid September there'd be a numbered FF up for preorder on Amazon Japan, and he said there hasn't been any indication that Versus has moved to PS4, and DQ VII's localization was confirmed in April. Also something interesting he said was that SE was having issues with PS4. This is his claim anyway:
I remember hearing people complaining about the new version of the PS4 SDK (then labelled Orbis SDK) last mid-November and how there were some issues with it and that it would be safe not to attempt transposing ongoing projects to the new platform until it was "stabilised/finalised.

Of course he could still be making guesses (a lucky guess in BD's case)/making shit up. I guess the first three things I listed are easier to prove than the PS4 SDK one if he's credible.

Exentryk

Of course he could still be making guesses (a lucky guess in BD's case)/making shit up. I guess the first three things I listed are easier to prove than the PS4 SDK one if he's credible.

I have something from him that will confirm his credibility at E3. I'm sure he'll be right, and I'll share the details then.

There's still one on GameFAQs who might have some credibility behind him, Aryllies, who said All the Bravest wasn't Bravely Default when that trademark popped up, and in February he said SE confirmed BD's localization just a little bit before those Tweets that hinted at the localization came out.

He has more credibility than anyone else at the very least. Other claims he made were that in mid September there'd be a numbered FF up for preorder on Amazon Japan, and he said there hasn't been any indication that Versus has moved to PS4, and DQ VII's localization was confirmed in April. Also something interesting he said was that SE was having issues with PS4. This is his claim anyway:

He's full of shit.

Soriku

HeelPower

Those correct leaks are lucky guesses anyone could have got right really.

So much this.

Are they updating the graphics for FFVIII?

FULL HD 1080P remake of FFVIII.Complete with improved online Tetra master (more cards than ever!) Draw system has been overhauled ,rebalanced and perfected! Squall can be played nude as well.

Actually they just mentioned high-res improved graphics.Nothing too major I would assume.

?
Just like Verendus right :p

This is the guy who makes giant posts detailing internal affairs at SE Japan right? Right down to the feelings of guys like Toriyama. Yeah, sure. Someone with that kind of knowledge isn't posting hints on public forums, much less on fucking gamefaqs. He's just another attention whore on that garbage site. Yeah, like he was the only one on the planet who knew that trademark wasn't for bravely default. A game which had a decent chance at being localized anyway, so he doesn't get any points there either. I could have told you with a great deal of certainty that all the bravest was a different game. Doesn't make me an insider.

I don't know about Verendus but he just put himself on the line claiming Demons Souls 2, KH3, and a second KH game all on ps4 next year. I wish his account the best of luck.

Soriku

This is the guy who makes giant posts detailing internal affairs at SE Japan right? Right down to the feelings of guys like Toriyama. Yeah, sure. Someone with that kind of knowledge isn't posting hints on public forums, much less on fucking gamefaqs. He's just another attention whore on that garbage site. Yeah, like he was the only one on the planet who knew that trademark wasn't for bravely default. A game which had a decent chance at being localized anyway, so he doesn't get any points there either.

I don't know about Verendus but he just put himself on the line claiming Demons Souls 2, KH3, and a second KH game all on ps4 next year. I wish his account the best of luck.

Yes. Though what he said about BD being confirmed and the Tweets coming soon after seemed pretty coincidental.

But anyway, I suggest everyone not to put too much stock into these "insiders".

Zhengi

FULL HD 1080P remake of FFVIII.Complete with improved online Tetra master (more cards than ever!) Draw system has been overhauled ,rebalanced and perfected! Squall can be played nude as well.

Actually they just mentioned high-res improved graphics.Nothing too major I would assume.

Thanks. Will wait for more news and pictures then.

jschreier

That's what the rumor was. http://kotaku.com/5927645/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-is-dead

Another source tells Kotaku that, a few months back, Final Fantasy Versus XIII's development and resources had actually been folded into another game, which is to be the next numeric Final Fantasy title, Final Fantasy XV. Whether this meant actual game assets and code or simply the movement of staff was unclear. This information was independently corroborated by yet another source, though it's important to note both had learned of the "folding" prior to the more recent news of its outright cancellation.

Whether it's been cancelled entirely or had resources absorbed into a newer, larger project, the game we once knew as Final Fantasy Versus XIII would seem to be no more. Even if Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been cancelled, I'm inclined to believe that whatever Versus was, or whatever had been created for the game, will turn up in some form in Final Fantasy XV. Surely, Square Enix would not cancel a game and completely dump all the work it's done? Right?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I could have told you that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oh I was BEYOND pissed.

You know that kind of pissed, when you can't even get really mad, but just start laughing uncontrollably.

Yeah. That was a good day!

Fuck that day.

If the Versus reveal is to change. Let it change!

If Versus is fated to die... Then I must simply laugh!

Magus rest his soul.

That Aryllies gamefaqs dude is either legit or a very well versed troll. I'm starting to lean towards the latter because most of his information is vague. He continually says that his numbered FF in September thing will be what proves his credibility. But with LR, FFXHD and XIV all in the pipeline for 2013, it's obvious one of them would be available for at least pre-order by September anyway, that's not news.

HeelPower

Oh I was BEYOND pissed.

You know that kind of pissed, when you can't even get really mad, but just start laughing uncontrollably.

Yeah. That was a good day!

Fuck that day.

I hope the city he is talking about remains faithful to depicting japan realistically.(with elements of fantasy ofcourse)

I would imagine it to look something like this.The city in versus T___T

Shibuya_Night_(HDR).jpg

Check pm.

Would you mind pm ing me as well ? I maybe new to the site but I have been dying to get anything remotely concrete on the game for years. Like everybody here.

Exentryk

Like I said in the post before, I cannot disclose anything right now. Please wait until after the event. I said the same to everyone in the pms.

Is the news positive at least regarding versus?

I can't believe we only had one FF game this generation. During ps2 era which was shorter, we had 4-5 I believe.

Since Lightning returns is coming out next, I wonder if they would talk about versus. I think it will just be the next gen multiplatform FF.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I think we'll have to wait till after E3. If Square wants to make a move it has to be there. Where everyone is watching.

Top Bottom