• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics coming to Android with enhanced graphics

Then give it to another team/director? Hell I'd kill orphans to have a FF Tactics using FF12 models and graphics.

I don't understand this. You say you want a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics instead of FFTA, but would be okay with giving the project to another director or team? The reason FFT was so good is because of Matsuno and the staff he had.

Ammish

Banned
All the Square stuff, so:

- Chrono Trigger
- Final Fantasy
- Final Fantasy II
- Final Fantasy III
- Final Fantasy Dimensions
- Chaos Rings

The Zeboyd games are also good:

- Cthulhu Saves the World
- Penny Arcade Rain-Slick (etc) Ep3

There's also a studio which does nothing but JRPGs called Kemco, but I haven't tried any of their wares yet so I can't vouch for the quality.

Wait. There's Chrono Trigger on Android?

I hope it upscales well to my Xperia Z once I get it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Oh man, one of the greatest games ever. Anyone know if it will use the god tier PSP translation?

I'm going to be up in this shit even if it's $20.

There's also a studio which does nothing but JRPGs called Kemco, but I haven't tried any of their wares yet so I can't vouch for the quality.

A few weeks ago someone here gave me shit for recommending Final Fantasy Dimensions to people, citing it "looked like an RPG maker game." They wouldn't say that after playing any of Kemco's iOS offerings. It almost seems like they stamp them out on an assembly line at times, they're so generic

A few weeks ago someone here gave me shit for recommending Final Fantasy Dimensions to people, citing it "looked like an RPG maker game." They wouldn't say that after playing any of Kemco's iOS offerings. It almost seems like they stamp them out on an assembly line at times, they're so generic
Well to be fair kemco stuff are only a dollar or 2 vs 20-30 for dimensions.

I know the initial download off of Google Play is small, but then it requires another download that's several hundred MB. Or did they get rid of that?

Oops, yeah you're right they do still have that. Still, it's probably worth another look. Like I said, my Nexus 7 seems to be okay with it.

Sort of off-topic, but Kemco's RPGs are like super generic SNES-PS1 JRPGs. They have all the clichés you'd expect from a game released around that time, yet they still manage to be fun.

I definitely wasn't expecting much of them. They sort of struck me as the kind of games you would keep around because you like to always have something to play rather than games that would keep you hanging for 5 o'clock so you could play more.

Wait. There's Chrono Trigger on Android?

I hope it upscales well to my Xperia Z once I get it.

Be warned: Chrono Trigger is the laziest Square game on the Play store, and features the worst DRM of any game I've installed from there. The game requires an internet connection to even start, then it downloads content at set chapters so you basically need to be online all the time or you'll reach a point where you can't keep playing until you are. The port isn't amazing either, it's just upscaled with bilinear filtering.

On the other hand, it's still Chrono Trigger.

Goli

Oops, yeah you're right they do still have that. Still, it's probably worth another look. Like I said, my Nexus 7 seems to be okay with it.

I definitely wasn't expecting much of them. They sort of struck me as the kind of games you would keep around because you like to always have something to play rather than games that would keep you hanging for 5 o'clock so you could play more.

Be warned: Chrono Trigger is the laziest Square game on the Play store, and features the worst DRM of any game I've installed from there. The game requires an internet connection to even start, then it downloads content at set chapters so you basically need to be online all the time or you'll reach a point where you can't keep playing until you are. The port isn't amazing either, it's just upscaled with bilinear filtering.

On the other hand, it's still Chrono Trigger.

...Why would they do that? That's so weird.

By the way, even though the iOS update for FFT still isn't out, maybe people here would like to know it IS coming... "soon."
Also, Drakerider and Chaos Rings II are out now on Android via Square Enix Market:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/market/
Drakerider's Android version seems to be the whole game at once, unlike the iOS one that's split into chapters that must be purchased via IAP only.

Seance

Banned
LPOr.jpg

I take it this is using the War of the Lions as the base, and not vanilla FFT, right?

Why is that administrator wearing a protective vest?

Mdeezy

Im trying to find a reason to justify buying this game for the 5th or 6th time.The slowdown on the psp kinda killed it for me plus its not really a challenge anymore. Still might get it anyway though.

Dimensions is legitimate quality and does a wonderful job recreating an FFIV/V era entry, regardless of what one thinks about the pricing or platform.

I just wish Square would stop using that awful floating virtual d-pad. A fixed one works a lot better IMO.

lord

I just wish Square would stop using that awful floating virtual d-pad. A fixed one works a lot better IMO.
NO! just use touch the screen in the direction you want to move, any virtual pad is awful, make use of the goddam platform's strongpoints square, anyway this is an srpg so it's less important.

i will buy this, i bought spectral souls from idea factory on android and i actually enjoyed quite a bit, i just hope this has a fair pricing.

NO! just use touch the screen in the direction you want to move, any virtual pad is awful, make use of the goddam platform's strongpoints square, anyway this is an srpg so it's less important.

i will buy this, i bought spectral souls from idea factory on android and i actually enjoyed quite a bit, i just hope this has a fair pricing.

Actually yeah, that's how the DS remakes worked too iirc.

Jinko

Dimensions is legitimate quality and does a wonderful job recreating an FFIV/V era entry, regardless of what one thinks about the pricing or platform.

Too bad their latest patch has screwed the game up on 100's of android devices.

ZTS

Banned
Lame. I hate it when a company rereleases a game and makes it worse and then refuse to release the original anymore. WoTL is inferior in almost every way to the original FFT. Disappointing but regardless, still the best FF ever.

I've been patiently waiting for this to hit android, but i didn't expect them to make it look better.

Have they fixed the spell slow down? It's such a deal killer.

I seriously wish this were out, I'm really looking forward to it. I've been tempted to try to find a way around region locks and buy it from the Japanese Play Store even though my Japanese is limited to "moshi moshi".

Too bad their latest patch has screwed the game up on 100's of android devices.

Whoah it did?

Jinko

Why don't you know download a you know what and get an FFT you know and then just YOU KNOW. If you want to buy the game to support by all means do that too but if you really want to play it on your phone well, you know.

You what ! ?

Whoah it did?

Yea crashes on start up or freezes with black screen during gameplay for a lot of people now, but I suppose this is the issue with android platform as so many devices.

Why don't you know download a you know what and get an FFT you know and then just YOU KNOW. If you want to buy the game to support by all means do that too but if you really want to play it on your phone well, you know.

KjhfhCp.gif

Yea crashes on start up or freezes with black screen during gameplay for a lot of people now, but I suppose this is the issue with android platform as so many devices.

Fark. I only started playing it properly about a week ago, hopefully it's okay on my Nexus 7.

ZTS

Banned
KjhfhCp.gif

Fark. I only started playing it properly about a week ago, hopefully it's okay on my Nexus 7.

Do me a favor and edit this plz. I have no idea how strict rules are around here and I'd rather not get banned for someone misunderstand what I was saying.

Lame. I hate it when a company rereleases a game and makes it worse and then refuse to release the original anymore. WoTL is inferior in almost every way to the original FFT. Disappointing but regardless, still the best FF ever.

It's better in every single way except for the slowdown and the removal of battle quotes (and the lack of the JP scroll glitch, if you like that). More content, superior localization.

ZTS

Banned
It's better in every single way except for the slowdown and the removal of battle quotes (and the lack of the JP scroll glitch, if you like that). More content, superior localization.

No offense dude but you clearly don't know the difference between the two version and the localization is buns in WotL. More content that breaks the game and or is useless does not a better game make. No one thinks Chrono Trigger DS is better than Chrono Trigger SNES and if you do you're a fool.

Giard

The new localization is automatically inferior, since they changed "Blame yourself or God".

ZTS

Banned
The new localization is automatically inferior, since they changed "Blame yourself or God".

QFT

There are many more problems than just that but yeah. Worst of all being the terrible Half Old English Half Crappy Shakespeare thing they did with the dialog.

No offense dude but you clearly don't know the difference between the two version and the localization is buns in WotL. More content that breaks the game and or is useless does not a better game make. No one thinks Chrono Trigger DS is better than Chrono Trigger SNES and if you do you're a fool.

I played the hell out of both. And "breaks the game"? LOL. FFT is one of the most broken games of all time, and that's part of what's fun about it. None of the new characters or equipment is anywhere near as broken as Orlandu or a fully kitted-out Reis with Math Skill and the ability to absorb Holy.

Oh, and the localization in WotL is so much fucking better than the incomprehensible one in the original. Fact. I love the original game, but it's clearly translated by someone who didn't speak English very well.
QFT

There are many more problems than just that but yeah. Worst of all being the terrible Half Old English Half Crappy Shakespeare thing they did with the dialog.
Oh no, not stylized dialogue. Let's all clutch our pearls.

TommyT

"No offense, but I'm going to offend you..."

Anyway, the newer translation is far more 'accurate' with what it should have been many years ago. It just unfortunately changed quite a bit about the story/characters/spells/etc now that it was done 'correctly'. Extra content isn't useless to all. If you feel it is, that's fine, but not to everyone. The newer version doesn't really have anything that "breaks" the game compared to what could have been done in the original.

Take it easy with the insulting, elitest attitude, allusions to emulation which can be inferred as piracy and take some time to read the rules - which clearly state you can talk about emulation. Speaking of, FFT has a rather large mod and emulation community which I encourage all to take a look at if you really enjoy the game and want to get more out of it.

Jinko

QFT

I prefer the non-colloquial writing style personally.

Skilletor

I prefer the new localization. It's not even a competition. The old one is terrible, imo.

WotL is the definitive version of the game for me. You're welcome to disagree. I won't think you a fool for having an opinion.

Yeah, I mean, the slowdown is annoying, and losing battle quotes is also annoying, but the localization and the additional content are both vast improvements.

I'd argue, though, that there's no "definitive version" of the game, just versions with advantages and disadvantages. A definitive version would have to be WotL with no slowdown and with the return of battle quotes.

Top Bottom