• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics coming to Android with enhanced graphics

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, I mean, the slowdown is annoying, and losing battle quotes is also annoying, but the localization and the additional content are both vast improvements.

I'd argue, though, that there's no "definitive version" of the game, just versions with advantages and disadvantages. A definitive version would have to be WotL with no slowdown and with the return of battle quotes.
Does the Android version not eliminate the slowdown?

ZTS

Banned
"No offense, but I'm going to offend you..."

Anyway, the newer translation is far more 'accurate' with what it should have been many years ago. It just unfortunately changed quite a bit about the story/characters/spells/etc now that it was done 'correctly'. Extra content isn't useless to all. If you feel it is, that's fine, but not to everyone. The newer version doesn't really have anything that "breaks" the game compared to what could have been done in the original.

Take it easy with the insulting, elitest attitude, allusions to emulation which can be inferred as piracy and take some time to read the rules - which clearly state you can talk about emulation. Speaking of, FFT has a rather large mod and emulation community which I encourage all to take a look at if you really enjoy the game and want to get more out of it.

Elitist attitude? Who has an elitist attitude? No offense dude but the second you posted you were being a smart ass. I'm not going to write a term paper explaining the difference between the two games and why the original is superior. It's not that hard to look up. I'm not Mr. Long Forum Post Guy that's going to argue with you for pages on end.

If you like WotL over FFT cool. Eat it up, have fun with it. I don't so I wont be buying a game I already own 5 copies of to play the inferior version on my phone. No offense but I have no idea why anyone would want FFT on their phone anyway. The company that makes this game sucks now anyway, wish it would go bankrupt. If you do want this game for your phone, cool, have fun with it play it all you want and enjoy it, there is nothing wrong with that. I love FFT too but I'd rather play FFT over WotL all day everyday until hell freezes over.

Coming in here was just a bad idea. End of story, end of me posting in this thread.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The new localization is automatically inferior, since they changed "Blame yourself or God".

'Tis your Square and Translators that fail you, not I.

Coming in here was just a bad idea. End of story, end of me posting in this thread.

See you in five posts.

Only two lines of the old translation > new translation. New translation completely wipes the floor of the old translation ("DEFEAT DYCEDARG'S OLDER BROTHER!"). PSP version's slowdown is the only killer thing about it, otherwise it's all killer, no filler.

ebil

you are welcome ;), now imagine that sprite in HD

SPTTF63.png

seriusly to this day I have no idea what was the designer thinking when he decided to make that outfit haha

Either Akihiko Yoshida has a fetish for buttpants, or they're really popular in Ivalice.

HraJLYV.jpg

Kyari

No offense dude but you clearly don't know the difference between the two version and the localization is buns in WotL. More content that breaks the game and or is useless does not a better game make. No one thinks Chrono Trigger DS is better than Chrono Trigger SNES and if you do you're a fool.

I liked WotL and Chrono Trigger DS. I Didn't realise people were so against either if these things :(

Aeana

I liked WotL and Chrono Trigger DS. I Didn't realise people were so against either if these things :(

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone speak out against CTDS like that. I'd say it's definitely equal to the SNES version at minimum.

Hmm if I haven't already played the game through 3 times when it was released on PS1 I would be excited....not really where's FFT2??

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone speak out against CTDS like that. I'd say it's definitely equal to the SNES version at minimum.

Yeah, that too. The added content isn't very *fun*, but the new equipment and accessories manage to hit a good point of being extremely nice without being in any sense 'gamebreaking.'

RedSwirl

The character portraits and some menu things are already "retina" in the current iOS version. The new version is supposed to bring "retina" character sprites and faster battles.

I know it's already retina iPhone, but what about retina iPad?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I understand the bitching about the slowdown, but why does anyone care about battle quotes? They were pretty cheesy, I didn't miss them at all.

I understand the bitching about the slowdown, but why does anyone care about battle quotes? They were pretty cheesy, I didn't miss them at all.

HEAVEN'S WISH TO DESTROY ALL MINDS

HOLY EXPLOSION

That's why. They're all full of extraordinarily fun bombast, they're extremely expressive, and they're a good way to add personality to the game. I wouldn't mind seeing some of them altered in relocalization, mind you, so they'd come across as less Engrish, but they were a great part of the original.

soldat7

I know it's already retina iPhone, but what about retina iPad?

The pixels scale to be quite crisp on a Retina iPad. I'm still convinced that just like the PSP version, however, there's some minor aspect ratio stretching going on. It's slight, but it's there.

Do the phone versions still load slow as molasses like the original ps1 version? I remember that pissing me off back when I played it. I really hated how slow the text bubbles would fill in.

th4tguy

I bet SE is going to release the update / re-re-re-release with the Retina Ipad Mini.

*and I just got parathod's hopes up again for nothing

grumble

I really wish they just made an FFT2, a real one. The original is a great game and had a lot of potential for a sequel, and there's enough of a market for it to sell a million or two at full price. What a bunch of wasted potential.

What's wrong with FFTA?

The story is closer to a light children's fantasy (with darker elements in the background like many children's stories) than the very political, very dark Final Fantasy Tactics. The judge system removes the opportunity for death in most locations, and your party usually outnumbers (and often significantly outclasses) the enemy, leading to a much, much easier game (despite TG Cid in the original).

Tactics A2 was a little better gameplaywise than Advance, but the story was much weaker. The game still wasn't all that challenging, but at least you could fight enemies who were stronger than you occasionally. Both also used the weapon based ability system from FF9, which wasn't bad, but was different too. They were ok games, but neither satisfied what I wanted from a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics at all.

Marche90

Don't just bump it like this, man!

I always get a mini-heart attack whenever this is bumped :(

EDIT: And I am an idiot posting in the thread just to bump it lol.

Top Bottom