• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics S - First Trailer

WoTL for the PSP was great and the PSP version of TO:LUCT was also great and I would also like to enjoy more SRPG from you SE just like those great games, but ffs wtf is this??? ;________;

I wonder if the game originally started out as a new Ogre Battle game. It's been almost a year since Square Enix renewed the copyright on the Ogre Battle name. Maybe they decided at some point that it would sell better with the Final Fantasy Tactics name instead of Ogre Battle.

This sounds like the most plausible explanation. They needed to slap Final Fantasy on the title to get the fanboys to pick it up.

WoTL for the PSP was great and the PSP version of TO:LUCT was also great and I would also like to enjoy more SRPG from you SE just like those great games, but ffs wtf is this??? ;________;

Ogre Battle, which they own too.

Battle-in-Ogre-Battle.jpg

So... This game doesn't have music/sound effects, correct? And it's played within a browser on your smartphone? ;_;

I want to try it because I liked Ogre Battle's game play but man... Dat browser game jank...

luca1980

Banned
mobage = garbage.

a proper sequel of the original fft or a remake of an ogre developed like tactics ogre remake please or SE can die right now imho

RM8

So... This game doesn't have music/sound effects, correct? And it's played within a browser on your smartphone? ;_;

I want to try it because I liked Ogre Battle's game play but man... Dat browser game jank...
Is this true?

Lol as awful as it seems I was going to buy it just for curiosity, but this is pretty much a browser game?

Nope, SE.

They destroyed any hope for a sequel to FFT when they started making that Tactics Advance bullshit.

The Tactics Advance games are sequels. And also awesome and not at all bullshit.

They're extremely bullshit. They took what was one of the most wonderfully crafted political stories with some of the greatest characters ever and said "that shit don't matter, toss in some kids from a dream or some shit and make it colorful!" There was still so much they could have worked with after the story in FFT. The empire was still in shambles, the church was crumbling. It was fucking chaos. Ripe for progression. But now. Let's take a couple of snowball fighting grade school kids, plop them in a world, have them make friends instantly and go to save the world! Bullshit, mang. Bullshit.

Roto13

They're extremely bullshit. They took what was one of the most wonderfully crafted political stories with some of the greatest characters ever and said "that shit don't matter, toss in some kids from a dream or some shit and make it colorful!" There was still so much they could have worked with after the story in FFT. The empire was still in shambles, the church was crumbling. It was fucking chaos. Ripe for progression.

And yet, they're much better games in every way that actually matters.

Mlatador

Banned
NOOOOOO, wtf are they doing?!? Why are they wasting their time for IOS??

They better have a new Final Fantasy Tactics (or Ogre battle) ready to show for 3DS (or consoles - yeah right, I know) come this E3, or ELSE!

You're right. Magical fighting judges that tell me I can't use certain abilities during battle because "lulz its da law" is such a better system. Having children as the main characters instead of murderers, thieves, traitors, and liars is so much better. Matsuno's vision for Ivalice was so much more. And Squaresoft just stomped on it by having it basically a game about a kid dreaming about Final Fantasy.

You're right. Magical fighting judges that tell me I can't use certain abilities during battle because "lulz its da law" is such a better system. Having children as the main characters instead of murderers, thieves, traitors, and liars is so much better.

oh jesus i forgot about the judges. god DAMN that was stupid.

Effect

Serious question. Does Square Enix have a dislike of the 3DS? Any reason why they seem so against releasing titles on it in Japan be it retail or digital? Are they making that much money off mobile platforms that they feel comfortable ignoring the 3DS?

Roto13

oh jesus i forgot about the judges. god DAMN that was stupid.

Oh no, you actually have to fight different battles different ways, how tragic

and generally the pacing was extremely bad compared to the original.

And this is just a lie. Final Fantasy Tactics had remarkably bad pacing. Random regular stages with massive difficulty spikes for absolutely no reason? Sometimes inside of towers that you can't leave if you save inside of? Total bullshit.

Oh no, you actually have to fight different battles different ways, how tragic

Giving me different enemies makes me fight in different ways.

Enemies using reflect? Well, magic is out.
Enemies have high evade? Well, there go my archers.

But no. We got a guy telling me instead. It's like the Sesame Street version of Final Fantasy. They gave me fucking Oscar the Grouch saying "I don't like swords! Don't use em or Big Bird'll take you to jail and you'll share a cell with Elmo!"

And this is just a lie. Final Fantasy Tactics had remarkably bad pacing. Random regular stages with massive difficulty spikes for absolutely no reason? Sometimes inside of towers that you can't leave if you save inside of? Total bullshit.

I can think of only two battles in FFT that had horrible pacing (The fight with Velius and the battle with the Marquis on top of Riovanes, right after Velius). And can't get out of a hole? Level up your jump. There were so many ways to tackle battles.

i think this is related to the game actually having a semblance of challenge, unlike its successors.

Dresden

They're extremely bullshit. They took what was one of the most wonderfully crafted political stories with some of the greatest characters ever and said "that shit don't matter, toss in some kids from a dream or some shit and make it colorful!" There was still so much they could have worked with after the story in FFT. The empire was still in shambles, the church was crumbling. It was fucking chaos. Ripe for progression. But now. Let's take a couple of snowball fighting grade school kids, plop them in a world, have them make friends instantly and go to save the world! Bullshit, mang. Bullshit.

I'm not a fan of where it went after FFT, but there's nothing wrong with going in a different direction.

FFTA2's balance was really messed up. There were a bunch of classes that were useless you avoided, then there were some broken ones that could fly across the entire map and kill things in a hit.

That sounds like FFT to me.

Zukuu

Banned
Can't they just leave FF alone? Who needs this shit? Speaking about "disconnected with the fanbase"... First the trilogy of sadness and crap 13, then the endless delay of Versus, then all the bravest crap and now this.

Square is dead.

You're right. Magical fighting judges that tell me I can't use certain abilities during battle because "lulz its da law" is such a better system. Having children as the main characters instead of murderers, thieves, traitors, and liars is so much better. Matsuno's vision for Ivalice was so much more. And Squaresoft just stomped on it by having it basically a game about a kid dreaming about Final Fantasy.

Judges were added because the games were technologically limited and could not provide decent AI.

They're awful games. I beat the second one without even realizing I was on the last boss. It was insanely easy.

They also require heavy grinding.

That sounds like FFT to me.

You didn't get Cid until the end of the game anyway.

Tell me. What is it?

ed

I have absolutely not one single problem with this being more Ogre Battle than Tactics Ogre.

CorvoSol

Except Advance 2, which had the world's shittiest crafting system which made learning abilities a chore and a half, as well as having taken and ruined the law system from TA by making it fixed to maps/battles so you couldn't employ any strategy with it and then giving laws of the highest level of absurdity with it like "don't get stolen from" and "don't deal critical hits" which the player had no control over, as opposed to TA's system, which the player had control over and could therefore strategize.

GamerJM

Banned
I just wish SE supported the 3DS more. Sigh.....

Ah well, there's still hope. Just remember that they didn't start porting FF games to the GBA until like three years into its lifespan.

PokéKong

Would it really be too much trouble to make a FFTA3 for 3DS? Heck just reuse all the sprites if they want to be cheap, fit more units on screen, use polygonal landscapes again, whip up another Neverending Story book plot and give me copious amounts of frivolous sidequests to do on the bus and while I'm dozing off and I'll be a happy camper.

The original FFT may have had politics and depth up in yinyang, but of the countless times I have tried hard to play that game I never once felt like I was having FUN, maybe it's the sluggish pacing or unintuitive cumbersome interface or being bombarded with depressing tragic events without an ounce of joy to be found, but it's definitely missing whatever A and A2 have that I can never pry myself away from.

Maverickjin8

Neo Member
Hey nice, my account finally got activated. Hello this will be my first post here, kinda sad that it's about FFTs though.

Anyway a lot of people are mentioning All the Bravest, but that's not really the same thing. This is more similar to Airborne Brigade.

I pre-registered for the game when they announced it simply because I wanted Agrias, even though I'd never play the game. It really is typical Mobage. You play it through your phone's internet browser for starters. You go "questing" by spending points, which when drained you get to wait like hours or buy an item to restore them. Battles are done automatically with no control input at all. Most of the battles I fought were won in a single attack. The only "tactics" here are what jobs you put in battle. Basic battles seem to be 3 characters only. I didn't get far enough to see those massive battles, I assume they are major bosses or the social version of a PVP system.

All races/jobs are simply cards you collect, can be leveled up, but you can actually equip them this time, or at least level up their equipment. Agrias was a SR, Max Lv60. Killed a boss in 2 hits, 2nd hit was Stasis Sword.

As for "All the Bravest", that was just Square making their own game and not really understanding how social stuff works (probably for the best). There's no competition in that game, so there's no mentality of "Oh man I need to play this game even more than it lets me!". I beat the game without buying a single item to restore my energy. I did buy the World stuff, because hey I wanted to see the sprites for VII,X,XIII.

Qvoth

limited? more like non-existant
there literally is no tactics needed for the battles, it's just the standard "tap this huge glowing button to proceed" in those browser games

Aeana

Except Advance 2, which had the world's shittiest crafting system which made learning abilities a chore and a half, as well as having taken and ruined the law system from TA by making it fixed to maps/battles so you couldn't employ any strategy with it and then giving laws of the highest level of absurdity with it like "don't get stolen from" and "don't deal critical hits" which the player had no control over, as opposed to TA's system, which the player had control over and could therefore strategize.

But the benefits/downsides to obeying/breaking the laws changed entirely in A2, for the better (in my opinion).

Tabris

I thought it was a 3DS game until the end with the S. I wasn't sure on the low end graphics whether it was just a shitty release or a cellphone game. Their previous handheld efforts have been pretty bad on the graphics side outside of Kingdom Hearts.

Either way, this is the new Square Enix and JRPGs are dead.

Top Bottom