• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Trading Card Game |OT| World of Final Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
oa3zXOm.png

I thought i would make a thread on the Final Fantasy TCG that just came out. I managed to play it and get a few cards ahead of the official release. The game itself is fairly unique and has abit of strategy behind it with some of the card combos you can do. It doesn't quite play like the other TCGs on the market but uses many familiar concepts.

Rules

Each player uses their own deck of 50 character cards. Players play character cards by using CP (crystal points).

There are three kinds of character cards:

• Forward character card: attackers, blockers and characters with various abilities.
  • Backup character card: producing CP and/or with various abilities.
  • Summoned Creature card: one shot ability.
Each turn, players spend their Crystal Points to play other cards. Crystal Points are provided in two ways: either by Dulling (turning sideways) a Backup card, providing one Crystal Point of its type, or by discarding a card from the player's hand, providing two Crystal Points of that card's type. To successfully play a card, the player must pay at least one CP of its type, and enough other CP to make up its cost. Therefore, a Fire card with a cost of 5 requires one Fire CP and four CP of any types. The exceptions are Light and Dark type cards; these have no type requirements for paying their costs, and cannot be discarded for CP.

The game is won by attacking with Forwards. The defending player can choose whether or not to block attacking Forwards with their own Forwards. If two Forwards are in combat with each other, the Forward with the higher power destroys the other, and the loser is put into its owner's Break Zone (discards). If the Forward was unblocked, it deals one damage to the defending player. Whenever a player is dealt damage, they put that many cards from the top of their deck into their Damage Zone. When a player's Damage Zone has seven cards in it, that player loses the game. On their turn, the current player can attack his opponent using his own forward character, and the opponent can block the attacker with their forward character. If the opponent does not block the attacker, one damage is dealt.

When you deal 7 damage to your opponent, you win the game.

To play a card or ability, a player announces the card or ability and any targets it has then pays any costs for it. Then, each other player may respond to that card or ability before it has its effect or enters the field, and the first player may respond to any actions the other players take. This is known as "the stack." Once players pass on playing cards or abilities, the objects on the stack resolve from top to bottom - in other words, first in, last out. Character cards (Forwards and Backups) can only be played if the stack is empty.

CLRHdXF.jpg

stiDxUs.jpg

Video Tutorial 1
Video Tutorial 2

Subscribing :) My partner got me one of each starter deck at London Expo this past weekend so I'm looking forward to playing this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have a starter pack from buying Type-0 when it came out here in Japan, so I'm interested to try this. Not sure I know anyone else with a starter deck, though...

Card Boy

Banned
The first thing people will notice (and i noticed other peoples reaction) is the cards themselves are made of a really good and slightly thicker cardboard. The finish on them feels like the outside of a Bible or something. They are a standard sized card so if you have Magic or Pokemon sleeves you can use them.

If you see an FF7 starter deck buy that shit up. It was selling like hotcakes at an expo and game shop i went to whilst the FF13 ones where in last place lol. They are all really balanced and there is a good strategy behind each of the starter decks. There is no really good way to tell the value of each card since it just came out but you can tell there are some good ones in the set.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone knows where can I buy this? Preferably US based sites.

Distributorship for this game is very small in the US. My local hobby store is having a very hard time getting it in.

That being said, they have changed a large number of cards from the Japanese release. For example, Garland is now fire element instead of dark. Common Cloud has +1000 power, and his buff triggers from any VII character rather than just Tifa. The list of changes and omissions is crazy. No Warrior of Light at all in this set.

I have a bunch of Japanese release cards and even translated a bunch of decks with sleeves. I'm happy they're finally doing an English release, all these years later.

Card Boy

Banned
Distributorship for this game is very small in the US. My local hobby store is having a very hard time getting it in.

That being said, they have changed a large number of cards from the Japanese release. For example, Garland is now fire element instead of dark. Common Cloud has +1000 power, and his buff triggers from any VII character rather than just Tifa. The list of changes and omissions is crazy. No Warrior of Light at all in this set.

I have a bunch of Japanese release cards and even translated a bunch of decks with sleeves. I'm happy they're finally doing an English release, all these years later.

Warrior of Light is in and I fought it myself. It's even in the rule sheet.

Hmm, looks like it's not out in Australia until the end of the month.

Could anyone tell me what the artwork is like? Is it largely screengrabs and pre-existing art work, or do they have unique art made for the game?

Card Boy

Banned
Hmm, looks like it's not out in Australia until the end of the month.

I think it might be out Friday 11th officially. It appears EB Games will sell it aswell. It was available at PAX AU early.

Could anyone tell me what the artwork is like? Is it largely screengrabs and pre-existing art work, or do they have unique art made for the game?

Some of the staple character cards like Cloud/Squall/Wakka/Tidus/Yuna etc will have a card with art both from the game or an alternate card (that is completely different in what it does, such as a Backup Yuna rather than a Forward Yuna) that has a unique hand-drawn art. By in large most of them are hand drawn specially for the older Final Fantasy games pre-FF7.

I think it might be out Friday 11th officially. It appears EB Games will sell it aswell. It was available at PAX AU early.

Some of the staple character cards like Cloud/Squall/Wakka/Tidus/Yuna etc will have a card with art both from the game or an alternate card (that is completely different in what it does, such as a Backup Yuna rather than a Forward Yuna) that has a unique hand-drawn art. By in large most of them are hand drawn specially for the older Final Fantasy games pre-FF7.

Oh cool! Guess I'll stop by an EB on Friday. Did they say if there was going to be much local tourney support? I don't really have many nerd friends, so I'm pretty dependent on organised events to find people to play with

EYEL1NER

I love Final Fantasy and tabletop gaming but I'm not going to play a TCG with blind buy random boosters anymore. Sucks that it couldn't have been made with the LCG model in mind. Maybe I'll pick up an intro deck at some point and see if any of the MtG/Pokemon/CFV/FoW/UFS players at the local store want to pick up yet another card game (they probably won't, they are pretty entrenched in what they already play).

Kenai

Hoping they have demos and maybe a few booster drafts or a tournament at Gencon. Might pick up a deck or two for me and the bf for xmas.

Where can I find a breakdown of what exactly is available in English? I've seen VII, X and XIII starter decks, but where are the core set boosters? Are there other starter decks or products i can buy?

Card Boy

Banned
Dam Booster boxes are sold out everywhere even in a pre-order state :(

Where can I find a breakdown of what exactly is available in English? I've seen VII, X and XIII starter decks, but where are the core set boosters? Are there other starter decks or products i can buy?

booster.png

Booster

sets.png

Starter sets, only FF7, X, XIII available but the cards cover all series except for FF15 and the online games.

booster_display.png

Booster box, you get 36 packs with 13 cards each (one of which is a foil)

sleeves.png

Sleeves

playmat.png

Playmat

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I love Final Fantasy and tabletop gaming but I'm not going to play a TCG with blind buy random boosters anymore. Sucks that it couldn't have been made with the LCG model in mind. Maybe I'll pick up an intro deck at some point and see if any of the MtG/Pokemon/CFV/FoW/UFS players at the local store want to pick up yet another card game (they probably won't, they are pretty entrenched in what they already play).

yeah, id fucks with a FF LCG for sure

Loona

Not covering the online games is a damn shame, there are hundreds of characters there they could draw from...

I'll wait for an online version of this. I can't spend the money for this nor do I have the time. But I can be a super casual online.

Dam Booster boxes are sold out everywhere even in a pre-order state :(

booster.png

Booster

sets.png

Starter sets, only FF7, X, XIII available but the cards cover all series except for FF15 and the online games.

booster_display.png

Booster box, you get 36 packs with 13 cards each (one of which is a foil)

sleeves.png

Sleeves

playmat.png

Playmat

Thanks, I think i'll dip my toes in. After watching a bunch of videos there's not a ton about the mechanics that really excite me, it seems to hit a lot of the same beats as Magic which is a bit of a bummer but I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But after a couple years of Netrunner it's hard to go back to something a little more traditional. I also wish the card art wasn't the same images we've seen a thousand times. I like the variety of elements and I love Final Fantasy, so there's no harm in a small investment and trying to get a scene going.

1upsuper

Is this actually a new game or just recently localized? I picked up packs of some Final Fantasy TCG while in Japan a couple years ago. Is it the same game?

Bane

I learned of this game last year and thought it looked great so I was stoked to see the announcement of it coming west. But by then it was already sold out at cool stuff and I can't find it anywhere else. I hope it gets easier to find.

Warrior of Light is in and I fought it myself. It's even in the rule sheet.

Right you are. They changed him to a different element and he has different artwork than in the original release. He was once a Light card and had his Dissidia artwork instead of what he is in this release.

Still don't understand that change at all...

Apparently everything that got released for this is sold out everywhere and whatever's available seems to be at a higher price.

And why doesn't the website link to any US online stores?

Apparently everything that got released for this is sold out everywhere and whatever's available seems to be at a higher price.

And why doesn't the website link to any US online stores?

Most game stores are leary of ccgs, the market had died off unless you are magic or one of the established games. Licensed games especially usually fail so orders and distribution ended up being small.

I spent a good part of the day trying to find or pre-order some of this. Printing wave two is already sold out on the distributor level and that's due out in January. Square announced a wave three, but no release date.

What a mess this release is.

Card Boy

Banned
I have attended 2 tournaments now and opened a quite afew booster packs and this game is becoming an obsession for me. I pulled a a Foil Cloud card that is worth about $60USD at least.

ff_1-182.jpg

I sold him though which i regretted afterwards :(

Card Boy

Banned
Still havent been able to find these anywhere

Yeah they are sold out everywhere. It's a combination of Square Enix and the card supplier underestimating demand and not printing enough and the game being popular. The game has like 6 weekly events in my area alone. Alot of them are running proxy events till more stock comes in and boosters they have are being kept as free prizes.

2nd wave of stock for Opus 1 is coming mid December at least here.

Not sure why the FF7 deck is sold out everywhere when the FFX deck is better competitively.

Card Boy

Banned
This is the first official playable Promo for the English set.

pr-001-eg.png

No details on how to get Sephiroth just yet. He seems good for clearing backups including you own (e.g if you want to drop more Jessie's).

This is the other promo you can get but its non-playable but is said to be worth a lot. You get Cloud by wining a local tournament.

Cloud-Final-Fantasy-Trading-Card-Mcm-Promo-Card.jpg

The game has really blown up here locally. There are 5 places holding tournaments in my city alone in Aus. Not sure what the interest is overseas.

Borman

So are there any locations where you can get things for as close to retail as possible in the USA? I dont mind importing English ones so long as the price works out to being roughly the same, I just dont want to be killed for it.

I have attended 2 tournaments now and opened a quite afew booster packs and this game is becoming an obsession for me. I pulled a a Foil Cloud card that is worth about $60USD at least.

ff_1-182.jpg

I sold him though which i regretted afterwards :(

The art is downright amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom