• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 Localization Incoming? [Nope, Hoax]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It will be interesting if they released this game at launch for the Vita.

Takao

Banned
Kagari said:
Until they start making it the Gundam system portable, right? :D

How many Gundam games are there on PSP? Like 25? So far for 2012, there are at least 2 separate Gundam games out for PSP.

Kagari said:
Until they start making it the Gundam system portable, right? :D

Probably not. Too many other things going on life (baby in February) and blowing tons of money on a portable system I'll rarely ever play isn't a huge priority. At least with Type Zero on the PSP it's already a system I own.

jackdoe

ULTROS! said:
It will be interesting if they released this game at launch for the Vita.
No better time. And it would further make Namco Bandai's decision to release Tales of the Abyss in Feb. even better!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Everyone's saying "PSN version"....

but after you've already translated the game, isn't the money already spent? Doesn't it make sense to release a UMD copy at that point?

The expense isn't just the printing, packaging and shipping - I imagine for megapublisher Square Enix that's not a huge expense... it's the translation + voice work that is the initial investment hurdle. And at that point, a UMD release may simply mean more sales + buzz.

Aeana

BocoDragon said:

but after you've already translated the game, isn't the money already spent? Doesn't it make sense to release a UMD copy at that point?

The expense isn't just the printing, packaging and shipping... it's the translation + voice work. And at that point, a UMD release may simply mean more sales + buzz.
Well, two things. Printing, packaging, and distribution can actually be a fairly significant expense, but more than that, shelf space and shop visibility for PSP games is dramatically decreased at this point.

BocoDragon said:

The expense isn't just the printing, packaging and shipping - I imagine for megapublisher Square Enix that's not a huge expense... it's the translation + voice work that is the initial investment hurdle. And at that point, a UMD release may simply mean more sales + buzz.

You used "UMD release," "sales," and "buzz" in the same sentence. Does not compute.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Isn't Level 5 doing something similar with a former 3DS exclusive game that's now coming to both the Vita AND PSP ?

I hope if Square is bringing this, they do that for both PSP and an enhanced version for Vita too. Though for some reason if there were a Vita game and it would be releasing near launch window, Famitsu would have blown it by now ...

BocoDragon

Father_Brain said:
You used "UMD release," "sales," and "buzz" in the same sentence. Does not compute.
I definitely don't think UMD is a healthy market.... but I think a Final Fantasy game on store shelves has a much bigger chance of any kind of buzz than a game buried in the PSN store.

Couldnt Sony help with getting FF Type 0 out there. By either covering costs of advertisement or helping costs of localization?

klee123

SpaceBridge said:
Couldnt Sony help with getting FF Type 0 out there. By either covering costs of advertisement or helping costs of localization?

That would make too much sense. SCEA and SCEE are hopeless.

Takao

Banned
chandoog said:
Isn't Level 5 doing something similar with a former 3DS exclusive game that's now coming to both the Vita AND PSP ?

I hope if Square is bringing this, they do that for both PSP and an enhanced version for Vita too. Though for some reason if there were a Vita game and it would be releasing near launch window, Famitsu would have blown it by now ...

That's because PSP is the largest active userbase in Japan, and The Time Travelers isn't a feature set demanding game. Level-5 wants their games to sell the most they can.

As well, most people in this thread hope it launches for the Western Vita launch (in February). Square Enix wouldn't announce a port of Type-0 before the PSP version even releases in Japan, which would've happened for some Famitsu reveal.

klee123 said:

They were the ones who marketed MGS: Peace Walker in the west, not Konami.

Of course that sold 50k in its debut month on PSP.

DiscoJer

klee123 said:

SCEE at least published the PSP version of WKC. SCEA couldn't be bothered to publish the PS3 version (which D3 picked up).

I think Squenix is in a position where they need all the money they can get, so they won't be always trying for million sellers (like Capcom)

They should just remake it for Vita, at least Sony should persuade them to do so. PSP is dead in the west, but this may help Vita a lot.

Takao

Banned
SpaceBridge said:
Doesnt Sony still own stock in SE? So isnt it mutually beneficial to see the game and vita do well?

Sony's owns 8% of SE. Type-0 doing well would make them like $20, lol.

Cheska

Oh fuck yes! King seems like such an awesome character from what I've seen, so thanks to his voice actor for doing what SE couldn't!

Defuser

DiscoJer said:
SCEE at least published the PSP version of WKC. SCEA couldn't be bothered to publish the PS3 version (which D3 picked up).
They regretted picking up WKC instead of Demon's Souls which I assumed they are avoiding it like a plague now.

Steve Blum is in everything...ever.

Get Nolan North, Bosch, and Lowenthall and we got our self a party.

Troy Baker probably will be in here too.

Laura Bailey as well..with the same voice they always make her use.

Grimmy

Banned
jackdoe said:
No better time. And it would further make Namco Bandai's decision to release Tales of the Abyss in Feb. even better!

No better time? I'd disagree. That would be foolish of SE to launch the game with the VITA in the West. If SE is smart they'll wait until the Summer, so they can release the game in Japan at the same time and call it FF Type-0 International Edition.

Why not milk both sides of the Pacific? If they release Type-0 in the West just 4 months after their Japanese launch, all they'll do is sabotage their own domestic sales (especially since they'll have to announce it even before that!)

klee123

DiscoJer said:

I think Squenix is in a position where they need all the money they can get, so they won't be always trying for million sellers (like Capcom)

Yeah good point. SCEE still releases non mainstream games after all. Still! they lose points for ignoring demon's souls.

Really though, they should follow NoE's footsteps and actually translate some of their other Japanese titles. They really shouldn't give a fuck what SCEA decides.

jackdoe

Grimmy said:
No better time? I'd disagree. That would be foolish of SE to launch the game with the VITA in the West. If SE is smart they'll wait until the Summer, so they can release the game in Japan at the same time and call it FF Type-0 International Edition.

Why not milk both sides of the Pacific? If they release Type-0 in the West just 4 months after their Japanese launch, all they'll do is sabotage their own domestic sales (especially since they'll have to announce it even before that!)
Er... I was referring to the PSP version and not any hypothetical Vita port.

Knux-Future said:
Steve Blum is in everything...ever.

Get Nolan North, Bosch, and Lowenthall and we got our self a party.

Troy Baker probably will be in here too.

Laura Bailey as well..with the same voice they always make her use.
Hell, throw in Gideon Emory as well.

Spwn

Would like to see the game released on the PSP because I bought my PSP because the game was announced for the system. Wouldn't mind a Vita version either as I'm planning to get one next summer, though. Great to see it's coming although I was quite certain it would.

Thoraxes

Just do a PSP version and for Vita people give them their PSN downaloadable version, since you know, you're doing it in Japan now.

Also watch... Steve Blum will be the new voice of Mog in XIII-2 due to fan feedback. Mog turns out to be king of the world in the future, ultimately bringing its destruction.

Paznos

God I hope so.... if XSEED and Aksys can be releasing PSP games I don't understand why SE wouldn't with a Final Fantasy title....

Reveirg

A Vita and a PS3 remaster release would make the most sense IMO...

The game is too big to send on the Vita alone: a handheld with a low user-base (or at least unproven at this point, obviously).

As stated before, the PSP is pretty much dead and previous S-E release did not fare well.

Both a Vita launch title and a PS3 remaster would work wonders =D

Colocho

Banned
Hopefully it goes the Twilight Princess route and releases on both the PSP and with an "HD" version for the Vita.

BocoDragon

AlphaDragoon said:
Please God, don't let this be PSP only in America. Please.
I'd be so surprised if they didn't do a PSN version, regardless of UMD release.

Grimmy

Banned
Paznos said:
God I hope so.... if XSEED and Aksys can be releasing PSP games I don't understand why SE wouldn't with a Final Fantasy title....

Ummm... Maybe because the cost of localization is next to nothing when all Aksys does is subtitle their games instead of dubbing them? That would never fly with FF titles.
Even XSEED and Aksys are moving towards PSN-only releases. Releasing FF Type-0 on 2 UMDs inthe West now is just sheer stupidity.

Best way is to do a Vita version as packaged version, PSN download version only for PSP.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finally, I was waiting for this. I hope we get it by March next year at this point, it could be a cool season with that and XIII-2.
Oh, Square Enix Europe, be nice as usual and give us some cool collector's edition to buy too! thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom