• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type 0 Official Website opens

adhoclia

Neo Member
Aru said:
People seem to hate Motomu Toriyama's writing, so they are relieved he isn't writing the story for Type-0 ? FFXIII and T3B's stories were flawed but weren't as bad as Nojima's worst stories IMO (FFVIII, FFX-2).
X-2 was directed by Toriyama, so I suspect he had a hand in the story. While X-2's main story is no masterpiece, the way the post-Sin Spira was laid out worked very well.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I don't want to get excited until there's a confirmed NA version. But yes, looks very good.

A portable, less budget and resource platform on the PSP is a breeding ground for a good back-to-roots style Final Fantasy game. Hopefully this game hits on that. Dissidia in my opinion was a great success.

Kyoufu

adhoclia said:
X-2 was directed by Toriyama, so I suspect he had a hand in the story. While X-2's main story is no masterpiece, the way the post-Sin Spira was laid out worked very well.

I hope they re-release that some day, I am itching to play it again.

will square ever get some of the paragons of japanese fictions to help with their writing? Just give me a good battle system the rest has been shit for more than a decade now.

adhoclia said:

Nojima and Watanabe are pegged as the writers.

Other than XIII Toriyama has written for Revenant Wings and was an event planner for FFVII.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This game looks turn based, is it? I keep on wondering if they were ever going to expand on the Crisis Core formula. I REALLY enjoyed that game. I know it was hit or miss for a lot of people, but it surprises me that SE hasn't tried to bring that system in another reiteration. I suppose KH:BBS was the evolution of that system, some say.

H_Prestige said:
Shame it won't be playable on NGP. We could have dual analog controls that way.

LOL has there EVER been a Final Fantasy game where you needed dual analog controls to play it...?

Adam Prime said:
This game looks turn based, is it? I keep on wondering if they were ever going to expand on the Crisis Core formula. I REALLY enjoyed that game.

It pretty much is a party based take on Crisis Core.

It looks like the level design is much more expansive and the combat looks more fluid(at least going by trailers).

Adam Prime said:
This game looks turn based, is it? I keep on wondering if they were ever going to expand on the Crisis Core formula. I REALLY enjoyed that game. I know it was hit or miss for a lot of people, but it surprises me that SE hasn't tried to bring that system in another reiteration. I suppose KH:BBS was the evolution of that system, some say.

LOL has there EVER been a Final Fantasy game where you needed dual analog controls to play it...?

FFXII? The modern stuff. I assume Agito is supposed to be a modern, full 3D FF title.

duckroll

Adam Prime said:

It's not turn based. It is the ultimate evolution of the ATB-Kai system that Nakazawa first designed for FFX-2, and then expanded into a realtime system for Crisis Core. This time the system is even faster and more dynamic, and supports a 3 character party. Nakazawa is not just the battle director this time, but the co-director of Type-0.

Mrbob

StuBurns said:
They have to get it on PSP2, even if two UMDs is a problem for PSN, it's pretty much the swan song for the platform.

Interesting, so UMD might hold back a PSN release? Why wouldn't the game just be one download file on PSN? Not sure how the PSP works with digital content.

Mrbob said:
Interesting, so UMD might hold back a PSN release? Why wouldn't the game just be one download file on PSN? Not sure how the PSP works with digital content.

I don't get it either. Sony has no problem with multi CD ps1 games so can't multi UMD games be handled the same way?

duckroll

Mrbob said:

Well, the only reason we think this is a problem is because there is only one other 2 UMD PSP game, and that's Sora no Kiseki Second Chapter. Falcom's older PSP games are all on PSN now except for that, and they stated that it was because they had problems getting it onto PSN because of the 2 UMD format. It's possible that they simply did not program the game with this in mind and it would be too much work to modify it to work for PSN.

On the other hand, S-E is developing this game while fully aware that a PSN release is expected, and would indeed be required if they want it to be playable on the next generation system. If the game does not end up releasing on PSN, it will mean that 2 UMD games are indeed a technical problem for PSN. Otherwise, it just means Falcom did not develop the game with PSN in mind.

We'll have to wait and see.

Takao

Banned
I can see SE skipping a PSN release at first for a NGP rerelease so that the game has a chance of success in the west.

Go_Ly_Dow

SafeinSound said:
I know nothing about this game. That needs to change.

3-4 people have said this in this thread alone. It seems like many people still don't know about the name change or the game in general.

Someone needs to update that Agito awareness thread stat!

Kyoufu

duckroll said:
Well, the only reason we think this is a problem is because there is only one other 2 UMD PSP game, and that's Sora no Kiseki Second Chapter. Falcom's older PSP games are all on PSN now except for that, and they stated that it was because they had problems getting it onto PSN because of the 2 UMD format. It's possible that they simply did not program the game with this in mind and it would be too much work to modify it to work for PSN.

On the other hand, S-E is developing this game while fully aware that a PSN release is expected, and would indeed be required if they want it to be playable on the next generation system. If the game does not end up releasing on PSN, it will mean that 2 UMD games are indeed a technical problem for PSN. Otherwise, it just means Falcom did not develop the game with PSN in mind.

We'll have to wait and see.

I'll cry tears of blood if a potentially AAA JRPG doesn't make it onto PSN.

anyone got a english summary of what the game supposed to be about? And do you guys think they will start porting to ipad/iphone psp releases?

Jigsaw

Banned
Technosteve said:
anyone got a english summary of what the game supposed to be about? And do you guys think they will start porting to ipad/iphone psp releases?

this game is minimum 3gigs,maybe even 3,6 gigs (2 umds),what's the largest ios game yet?

Mrbob

Technosteve said:

If SE can't get 40 dollars for the game you'll be waiting awhile for the iOS port.

MechaX

Aru said:
People seem to hate Motomu Toriyama's writing, so they are relieved he isn't writing the story for Type-0 ? FFXIII and T3B's stories were flawed but weren't as bad as Nojima's worst stories IMO (FFVIII, FFX-2).

X-2's story wasn't so much "bad" as it was "completely silly." 3rd Birthday's writing both in terms of plot and characters was incomprehensible at best, absolutely terrible at worst. FFXIII's case has been beaten to death at this point. I would definitely say that Toriyama's writing in Front Mission Evolved is definitely beyond FF8 in terms of poor writing and absolute absurdity.

So yeah, I am quite relieved that he's not writing the story for Type-0.

Ikkarus

Looks good. Probably one of the last gems of the PSP's life.
2010-2011 has been a particular highlight for the PSP games wise.

Jigsaw

Banned
duckroll said:
Why would you say it's minimum 3gigs?

1 umd = 1.8gb?if it would be only like 2 or 2.5gb i think they would rather lower the bitrate of the fmvs to fit it on 1 umd,like they did with crisis core,some of the movies had terrible macroblocking

Go_Ly_Dow

Old (2008/2009?)

Flxfl.jpg

New (2011)

ShYzK.jpg

I prefer the new colour scheme.

duckroll

Jigsaw said:
1 umd = 1.8gb?if it would be only like 2 or 2.5gb i think they would rather lower the bitrate of the fmvs to fit it on 1 umd,like they did with crisis core,some of the movies had terrible macroblocking

But the director specifically said that the reason they ended up going with 2 UMDs is because many of the cutscenes (not CG FMV) are pre-recorded and touched up, just like FFXIII and T3B, and they didn't want to lower the quality at all because they didn't want the game to lose out visually to HD titles in terms of quality.

Crisis Core was 4 years ago. :p

Skilletor

Jigsaw said:

They don't have to fill that second UMD up. :p

It could be one full UMD and just the final cutscene/repeated data on the 2nd UMD for all we know.

Lydecker

Neo Member
I like every part of that game, I can't wait to play it... just hope they won't take to long to make the translation work

duckroll

jaxword said:
What's the official reason for changing the name from Agito, unless Agito was always just a working name?

They wanted to drop the XIII from the title because it had nothing at all to do with FFXIII. After dropping the XIII, they decided to change the entire title to something which has more impact and indicative of a possible new FF sub-brand.

Clott

After starting FFXIII for the first time a week ago and seeing how much the formula has changed, due to lack of experience of developing for a new platform I feel very optimistic about this. We have only seen screenshots of combat or stills from cutscenes, I need a screen of the main character running in a town or something, we needs hubs in RPG's that make us feel calm after all the action.

Clott said:
After starting FFXIII for the first time a week ago and seeing how much the formula has changed, due to lack of experience of developing for a new platform I feel very optimistic about this. We have only seen screenshots of combat or stills from cutscenes, I need a screen of the main character running in a town or something, we needs hubs in RPG's that make us feel calm after all the action.

The Rubrum pre-whateverit'scalled will probably serve the same purpose as a town once you repel the invasion.

Skilletor said:
Do we know if the NGP does anything to PSP games to make them look better? Smoothing or anything?

It supposedly cleans up the image a bit and you can remap camera controls to the right analog.

Skilletor

Clott said:

Pretty sure they said there'll be a world map complete with transportation, so that should mean cities/towns to go to.

Of course, this isn't HD, so it's not as hard.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
This game looks so pretty! Come on SE, where is my release date? It's nearly summer already! You're not going to pull a "keep saying it's summer until it's summer and then change it to winter" thing again, are you?

Skilletor said:
Do we know if the NGP does anything to PSP games to make them look better? Smoothing or anything?

only button mapping as far as we know.

I think some developer already said about re-releasing psp games on NGP cart. that's one way to get enhanched port of psp titles. something like psp HD collection for NGP I guess. more money for publishers to make you buy the game again, this time in 'portable HD'

duckroll said:
It's not turn based. It is the ultimate evolution of the ATB-Kai system that Nakazawa first designed for FFX-2, and then expanded into a realtime system for Crisis Core. This time the system is even faster and more dynamic, and supports a 3 character party. Nakazawa is not just the battle director this time, but the co-director of Type-0.
I've got to admit that I'm somewhat skeptical about this, if only because I think FFX-2 plays much, much better than Crisis Core.

Top Bottom