• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy V coming to smartphones

Magnus

Thank goodness; best version of FFV finally getting a visual/aural boost the GBA couldn't provide?

And is that Amano artwork for the (huge) dialogue portraits?

Question: Can iPhone 4 or iPad 3 mirror gameplay via an Apple TV? I want to be able to play this on my TV!

The idea that a sexed up GBA version of FFVI is likely, finally coming, based on this release's success....it's exciting! Can't wait for it.

fates

Saw the screens, I like the use of the artwork for the dialogue portraits, but the battles don't look too great.

The screens I saw weren't very clear either so I'm waiting until final judgement.

Cool, I will most certainly be getting this for my iphone. Seeing as I paid $100 for the original Final Fantasy V back in the day $20 doesn't seem so bad. Dunno if I like the battle art that much, but I will just have to wait and see.

Ugh. I'd much rather see this get a full FF IV DS style treatment, albeit with better graphics than that had.

I adore FFV, but I want to play a genuinely revamped version of the game.

Ugh. I'd much rather see this get a full FF IV DS style treatment, albeit with better graphics than that had.

SE likely doesn't want to devote the resources to a fully 3D remake of FFV for smartphones, much less one with superior visuals to the FFIII/FFIV portS. The reason those looked the way they did was because they were already completed for the DS years ago, and they wanted to spend minimal energy porting them.

The reason FFV for smartphones looks the way it does? SE likely wants to spend minimal energy on this product as well.

I just hope that they have at least one consistent vision when updating the 2D graphics.

Final Fantasy Dimensions looked like a mess because it was seemingly designed by multiple teams, each with a completely different platform in mind, then reassembled at the end of the project. Some sprites wound up looking blurrier and more washed-out than others, environments looked like they were done with some 90s RPGMaker.

I just hope it looks better than that. The font is the least of my concerns.

B.K.

I just hope that they have at least one consistent vision when updating the 2D graphics.

They don't. The backgrounds and enemy sprites look like they're ripped straight from the GBA game, but the character sprites are horrible, filtered sprites.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I don't mind it, but the price is a little high.

$9.99 and I will bite, $14.99 and I need some motivation to buy it, $19.99 and I will only buy it if it remade from the ground up taking advantage of my iPad.

I want Square to give V and VI the PSP IV Complete treatment. Keep the game 2D but make it beautiful 2D. And remaster the soundtrack.

SE likely doesn't want to devote the resources to a fully 3D remake of FFV for smartphones, much less one with superior visuals to the FFIII/FFIV portS. The reason those looked the way they did was because they were already completed for the DS years ago, and they wanted to spend minimal energy porting them.

The reason FFV for smartphones looks the way it does? SE likely wants to spend minimal energy on this product as well.
Which is why I'd rather see a version made from the ground up for 3DS, and a release at $20 a year or two later for PSN/XBLA/iOS.

disco

To be expected.

FFV 3DS could of been great.

Have iOS enhanced port instead.

More importantly which version is it?

Playstation crap version or superior GBA version?

Edit: Based on GBA version? They got something right at least.

This is it - the ship has sailed on dedicated handheld gaming. My immediate thoughts - 'why this and not a 3DS 3D remake... ah :-/'. :(

Noema

I don't know how well the DS remakes sold, but given the installed base of iOS and Android devices, it's no doubt much more financially viable to dump a $20 quick-and-dirty port that will probably sell several hundred thousand times onto those platforms and bank on nostalgia and the Final Fantasy name (who else can get away with selling games for >$20 in the App Store?) than it is to remake V and VI from scratch and sell 30 or 40 thousand copies for $40 on 3DS / Vita to nerds like us.

Our dreams of a remade FFVI fade, like tears in the rain.

9SsRv.gif

The new portraits look awesome, but I'm unsure about the sprite style. I'll need to see better pictures before making judgement, but they look okay so far.

I guess that helps mobile gaming a bit.

In actuality, it would seem that Google Play is competing with Steam, not Origin.

Or rather, iTunes. But I'm not a fan of Apple products. And while having a much better selection, iTunes is much less user friendly than Google Play.

As cell phones and tablets are becoming more powerful, I imagine they're going to start making "mobile app" versions of the PlayStation games.

The low-effort, low budget ports on smartphones probably makes the most sense for Square Enix from a financial point of view. However it does make me a little sad as a fan of these old games. I guess it's time to let go of my wish for a proper FF5 and FF6 handheld remake.

::edit::

I don't know how well the DS remakes sold, but given the installed base of iOS and Android devices, it's no doubt much more financially viable to dump a $20 quick-and-dirty port that will probably sell several hundred thousand times onto those platforms and bank on nostalgia and the Final Fantasy name (who else can get away with selling games for >$20 in the App Store?) than it is to remake V and VI from scratch and sell it for $40 on 3DS / Vita and sell 30 or 40 thousand copies to nerds like us.

Our dreams of a remade FFVI fade like tears in the rain.

http://i.imgur.com/9SsRv.gif
I share your pain.

KtSlime

Same here. Forgot that this was SE and that I should keep my expectations low.

Wow, I've always wanted to try this one. Has a Tactics-style job system, right? Unless the controls are total shit this will be the first time I buy one of Square's ridiculously priced games.

Goli

Saw the scans... And I really don't get the negativity here. I think it looks great! Pretty much everything looks better than FFD except for the characters who look to be made in the same vein as FFD. I look forward to purchasing this next week.
Also, according to the App Store pricing matrix 1800 yen = 15.99 USD. Seems like a fair price to me considering you can buy an inferior version on PSN for 9.99 USD.

Heropon

I've just saw the scans and I can't believe how ugly the characters are. Now I have an excuse to not buy it when it comes to Android.

GBA version of both FF5 and 6 have horrible, horrible soundtrack, due to sucky ass GBA audio processor.

Come on now, you really think this version will have the same audio problems the GBA version had? By "based off the GBA version" , they likely mean content and script wise. I haven't played FFIV CC but the sound had to have been at least in part with the SNES original, if not better. It's not like they're using the same art and sprites.

Also, did you know there are fan made patches that fix the music problem?

20th anniversary was celebrated by good art on Pixiv.

This is more like a "gimme moneylixir" kind of thing.

Link? I'd love to see some good FFV art.

Glass Rebel

Struggled through FFI on my iPhone, Dimensions got deleted after 5 minutes and I have no motivation to start FFII. This being on smartphones + the atrocious graphics make it an easy decision.

WILL BUY 5 COPIES!

not really

TheMan

Good news...now that they're done with the final fantasies I don't care about, they can move on to iOS ports of 6 and 7. Finally.

Bruno MB

Will I ever see my long-awaited Final Fantasy V Remake?

It's a pity that Final Fantasy IV (DS) underperformed so badly.

Top Bottom