• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy V coming to smartphones

Cipherr

I don't know how well the DS remakes sold, but given the installed base of iOS and Android devices, it's no doubt much more financially viable to dump a $20 quick-and-dirty port that will probably sell several hundred thousand times onto those platforms and bank on nostalgia and the Final Fantasy name (who else can get away with selling games for >$20 in the App Store?) than it is to remake V and VI from scratch and sell 30 or 40 thousand copies for $40 on 3DS / Vita to nerds like us.

Our dreams of a remade FFVI fade, like tears in the rain.

9SsRv.gif

How much data can we pull together to actually test this. IIRC FF3 for DS sold over a million in Japan alone, and the Dragon Quest games have done similar or more. That is a LOT of revenue. Keeping in mind that the handheld console versions need only prove themselves worth the effort in terms of ROI. Just because one makes less money than the other, doesn't mean its not worth the time.

what a mobile revolution. That means at least that a full 3D remake on proper platforms is still possible. Playing FFd with the dpad for me was almost impossible.

edit: I saw the scans, my eyes are bleeding.

Jacobbles

Ugh, this looks dreadful. I love FF5 to death but this... this is really bad. Those character sprites are terrible.

I'd almost consider biting if this was coming to 3DS/Vita, but as it is it's a no sale.

Glass Rebel

How much data can we pull together to actually test this. IIRC FF3 for DS sold over a million in Japan alone, and the Dragon Quest games have done similar or more. That is a LOT of revenue. Keeping in mind that the handheld console versions need only prove themselves worth the effort in terms of ROI. Just because one makes less money than the other, doesn't mean its not worth the time.

Japanese sales for DS remakes of

Final Fantasy III (Ultimate Hits) = 1,008,230 / 48,340
Final Fantasy IV (Ultimate Hits) = 622,475 / 29,031

Rootbeer

Banned
After those crappy looking FFI and II phone ports, and then this, which looks every bit as ugly if not worse... please for the love of all things sacred do NOT give FFVI the same treatment. Just... leave it alone. I'd rather have no release than something like this.

FFIII/FFIV (DS)/4 Heroes of Light-esque remake on 3DS will be appreciated though

Goli

After those crappy looking FFI and II phone ports, and then this, which looks every bit as ugly if not worse... please for the love of all things sacred do NOT give FFVI the same treatment. Just... leave it alone. I'd rather have no release than something like this.

FFIII/FFIV (DS)/4 Heroes of Light-esque remake on 3DS will be appreciated though

Uhhh the FFI and FFII mobile ports are based on the 20th anniversary releases on PSP which was also the base for FFIVCC which everyone considers gorgeous.

At any rate, I'm not really seeing the ugly in the character sprites... They look fine to me, they're just not on FFI/FFII/FFIVCC level.

This port looks pretty good actually. Looks like they took whatever that FF spinoff game was and souped up the engine. The HD sprites look decent as well.

Uhhh the FFI and FFII mobile ports are based on the 20th anniversary releases on PSP which was also the base for FFIVCC which everyone considers gorgeous.

At any rate, I'm not really seeing the ugly in the character sprites... They look fine to me, they're just not on FFI/FFII/FFIVCC level.
Yeah, the PSP remakes looked amazing.

These sprites look more in line with the style of FF Dimensions. Not ugly, but just not very interesting either. Hopefully some clearer pictures will give us a better sense.

Still totally digging the character portraits though. A lot.

Bruno MB

This is why Final Fantasy V (DS) never happened.

Final Fantasy III (DS) - Japan 990.000 + US 460.000 + Europe 480.000 = 1.930.000
Final Fantasy IV (DS) - Japan 620.000 + US 300.000 + Europe 180.000 = 1.100.000

Heropon

Final Fantasy III (DS) - Japan 990.000 + US 460.000 + Europe 480.000 = 1.930.000

Final Fantasy III didn't have a port two years before (well, it never had one) so I think those numbers were simply unreachable, meaning that a hypothetical FFV remake wouldn't have seen another huge drop in sales. But knowing how greedy is Square Enix I can see what you say being true. They were disappointed with Chrono Trigger's sales after all...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

And how many versions of FFIV did we have at that point? Exactly.

Meier

Who the hell is paying 20 bucks for these games on iphone?

I would say no one but they keep doing it so who knows. I'll never pay more than $5 for an iPhone game personally. Not a chance in hell -- too much free entertainment content at my fingertips (that I enjoy as much as gaming on the go) to spend that much. I've only paid more than $2 a few times (Kairosoft games).

Toth

Okay...if you are going to add Amano's gorgeous art to the dialogue screen, why are you using sprites that look COMPLETELY the opposite. Faris' looks especially wrong....

Goli

Okay...if you are going to add Amano's gorgeous art to the dialogue screen, why are you using sprites that look COMPLETELY the opposite. Faris' looks especially wrong....

GBA version had this too yet I never saw anyone complaing *shrug*

The direct feed screens:
&
&
&
&
&
&

And I don't think this is using FFIVCC sprites, they're all new.
For comparison:
qavi.png
FFV_Revive.png
FinalFantasy5Advance_10.png
Final%20Fantasy%20V%20Advance%20(Japan).png
263050-final-fantasy-v-game-boy-advance-screenshot-carwen-towns.png

The difference is pretty dramatic, but I guess it's to be expected for a remake.

Probably. Sigh. I wish they'd try it on 3DS though. The game deserves much better than this.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The tiles, portraits and enemies look pretty good, the sprites look absolutely revolting though. Oh well, still the best FF game ever so I'll pick it up.

Top Bottom