• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy V coming to smartphones

Toth

lGBbf8M.jpg

....soon

I raise you:

JP20130315_3.jpg

RedSwirl

Man, why do you guys hate the high-res 2D sprites? Personally I thought FFIVDS looked pretty ugly. I understand that a 3DS or Vita 3D game would likely look a lot better, but I really like the idea of taking the original 2D look remastering it with higher detail sprites.

Seda

Man, why do you guys hate the high-res 2D sprites? Personally I thought FFIVDS looked pretty ugly. I understand that a 3DS or Vita 3D game would likely look a lot better, but I really like the idea of taking the original 2D look remastering it with higher detail sprites.

I prefer the FFIVCC style to the FFD style.

Zoe

Found the scans. Calling it just "based on the GBA version" is underselling it. It may be based on that technically, but it looks much closer to the PSP version of FFIV. The sprite work looks almost completely re-done. Like the Amano portraits too.

Surely they could have released it on PSP too then :(

RedSwirl

Surely they could have released it on PSP too then :(

I hate virtual buttons and sticks on smartphone games as much as the next guy, but they don't really have a negative effect on turn-based or menu-based RPGs. The only real-time thing you have to do in classic FF (excluding the ATB meter) is movement, in which you don't immediately have to deal with enemies. If Square Enix doesn't fuck up the new menu design I won't have a problem with touch screen controls. It's when they do this for action RPGs that creates a problem.

I could understand if you don't own an iOS or Android device though.

If you saw the scan, you'd understand.

I saw the scan. They look fine.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow, uh... This doesn't look too hot at all. FF4CC sprites, the character sprites don't look very good, they don't jive with the background too much...

Happy 20th Anniversary, FF5?

Seda

Wow, uh... This doesn't look too hot at all. FF4CC sprites, the character sprites don't look very good, they don't jive with the background too much...

Enemy sprites look good to me. It's mainly the characters that irk me.

Aeana

I hate virtual buttons and sticks on smartphone games as much as the next guy, but they don't really have a negative effect on turn-based or menu-based RPGs. The only real-time thing you have to do in classic FF (excluding the ATB meter) is movement, in which you don't immediately have to deal with enemies. If Square Enix doesn't fuck up the new menu design I won't have a problem with touch screen controls. It's when they do this for action RPGs that creates a problem.

Having played and nearly beaten FF Dimensions, I'm going to disagree. Navigating the environments with the virtual dpad was really irritating.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

20th anniversary was celebrated by good art on Pixiv.

This is more like a "gimme moneylixir" kind of thing.

khaaan

How is the random battle encounter rate on the GBA version? I'm trying to get through the version on PSN, haven't gotten super far (the ship at Karnak) and I've already reached a point where I feel like the random battles are going to drive me nuts.

Vamphuntr

Having played and nearly beaten FF Dimensions, I'm going to disagree. Navigating the environments with the virtual dpad was really irritating.

On a phone screen it was very annoying to choose commands in battle too. I don't have big fingers but I would often hit the wrong command by mistake. I guess playing on a Ipad takes care of that issue, though.

So I wonder if Square charges you for switching jobs in this version.

There will probably be a gimmick where you have to pay for the original soundtrack or something like that if FFD is any indication.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I love FFD (beat it twice) and I have to agree. virtual dpads are cumbersome and nowhere near ideal.

Also another game with crappy replacement sprites that look horrible.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. I've been lookin to get the GBA version, but I might just get this instead. Maybe.

CorvoSol

IS IT EVER. I hit down and go right. I hit right and go down. It's just so awful compared to an ACTUAL D-Pad.

Aeana

On a phone screen it was very annoying to choose commands in battle too. I don't have big fingers but I would often hit the wrong command by mistake. I guess playing on a Ipad takes care of that issue, though.
I played it on both iPad and on my Galaxy Nexus. It's easier to move around on my phone, but more irritating to select commands in battle, and vice-versa with the iPad.

Thank god it's not 3D. FFI-VI would lose something quite substantial when taken out of the 2D realm. (See: FFIII & IV DS) I wouldn't be opposed to a PSP style 2D upgrade though.

The GBA version of FFV is super amazing, so I'm glad they are using that as the basis.

For anyone who has seen the scan, what does it say about FF11 below it?

If I had to guess, it's probably related to Seekers of Adoulin launching next week? (Though, that art is old school Zilart FFXI Soooooooo)

I'm curious as well.

And the sprites? I'll have to see them in motion.....if its closer to FFIV:CC, yay! If its FFD...not-so-yay...

"Buy the old sprites for only 3000 Yen!"

THIS IS NOT FUNNY! FFD already had "buy chiptune music for 10 bucks" this is the next logical step....

Rpgmonkey

For anyone who has seen the scan, what does it say about FF11 below it?

If I had to guess, it's probably related to Seekers of Adoulin launching next week? (Though, that art is old school Zilart FFXI Soooooooo)

I'm curious as well.

And the sprites? I'll have to see them in motion.....if its closer to FFIV:CC, yay! If its FFD...not-so-yay...

It's a clear file with FFXI artwork on it.

Happy to see FFV, but..
Bleh, those character sprites. The smoothed look is out-of-place when on the same screen as the FFIVCC enemy sprites and the fairly-detailed backgrounds.

Zoe

It's not a controls thing for me--I value the battery on my phone too much for time-intensive games, plus the overheating.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Will definitely grab the Android version for my Nexus 10. Hopefully they get the smarts and put it on the 3DS or Vita.

Top Bottom