• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy V out now for iOS.

storafötter;51665925 said:
Damn those backgrounds look bad. It looks even worse than dimensions at times. However I think the battle screens look good at least.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Looks like it was made with RPG Maker.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Still am a bit interested in picking this up. Never really found FF4 or 5 to look that great in the first place, so visuals don't bother me (well game still looks like butt). This is based off the gba game... how does FF5 hold up for newcomers? I know the job system is the highlight. Would I need a guide to utilize it well? Any initial tips?

Snaku

Banned
I don't mind the sprites, that's how they were meant to look anyway. Check out the Japanese packaging and manuals.

It doesn't seem unreasonable, at a low (which is normal for me) brightness. I'm guessing it should be a little less stressing than Infinity Blade, or some other 3D game, and those last for around 4 hours on an iPhone 4. So somewhere between 4-6 hours I'd guess on a full battery, sometimes simple looking games are surprisingly draining on the battery, while other times you can play for a long time and still have a good amount left. I generally believe if you are going to be gaming for over 4 hours straight, you probably have a way to charge the device or can plan ahead and bring a spare battery for an extra 200% or so battery life.

What? 3d games like infinity blade kill my battery (4s) from 100% in 90 mins to 2 hours.

how you are getting 4-6 hours is beyond me.

kunonabi

Still am a bit interested in picking this up. Never really found FF4 or 5 to look that great in the first place, so visuals don't bother me (well game still looks like butt). This is based off the gba game... how does FF5 hold up for newcomers? I know the job system is the highlight. Would I need a guide to utilize it well? Any initial tips?

not really, gil toss wrecks everything.

Kuro268

Neo Member
I hope they're fully aware that the small graphics update/port they've made for FFV will NOT suffice for FFVI. They need to go HAM on that FFVI remake and do something that looks a little better than FFIV DS.

Chemo

I wonder if they'll end up throwing this onto Vita down the line like they put the port of Final Fantasy III onto the PSP...

Square-Enix doesn't get the mobile landscape at all.

They need to equally support Andriod and other platforms. It's unbelievable for a company pushing so much for mobile gaming, they give iOS preference. You don't win in the mobile space by doing that. They just don't get it.

Isn't the Android scene rife with piracy? [Citation Needed] I guess, but I've heard anecdotes where a game will show thousands of active users but get very low sales.

batbeg

I don't mind the sprites, that's how they were meant to look anyway. Check out the Japanese packaging and manuals.

The sprites and the marketing materials are not meant to be one and the same. And frankly, those marketing materials have always sucked.

I would take this, though. It isn't so offensively bad as to ruin the gameplay, I imagine.

That looks terrible. C'mon, SE - you're better than this.

I'm consistently surprised at how poorly they allow the fabled versions of their FF games to be made. Even if these are just mobile versions, these games are the reason people still care about FF, and it does a disservice to the integrity of the franchise to release versions of the games with such low standards. If it's not the visuals, it's the controls. If it's not those, it's something else.

Bulzeeb

I hope it comes to Android quick.

I don't give a shit about the styling, does not look that particularly bad.

mzl.sbjsynlx.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.ixupamrc.320x480-75.jpg

the battle graphics aren't as bad sa that town graphics but what I really dislike is the rpg maker look in almost all the final fantasy games released for mobile devices

Goli

I'm consistently surprised at how poorly they allow the fabled versions of their FF games to be made. Even if these are just mobile versions, these games are the reason people still care about FF, and it does a disservice to the integrity of the franchise to release versions of the games with such low standards. If it's not the visuals, it's the controls. If it's not those, it's something else.

I think this is me just being me but I've pretty much never had issues with controls in iOS games. And I don't get why everyone's making such a big deal about how the game looks, it's still FFV. On your phone.

20 bucks?

Bwahahahahahahahaha
Read.

JaseMath

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately integrity and tradition take a back seat to the bottom line for SE these days.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I don't mind 2D presentations or retro graphics at all, but this looks fairly unprofessional for an "official" port.

Goli

the battle graphics aren't as bad sa that town graphics but what I really dislike is the rpg maker look in almost all the final fantasy games released for mobile devices
Only this and FFD look like... this. Then there's FFI and II which are generally perceived as gorgeous, and III IV which look nothing like RPG Maker.
In fact, FFI, II and IVCC look like an high end RPGMaker game but I don't think anyone ever said that or made a big deal about it.

Synless

Only this and FFD look like... this. Then there's FFI and II which are generally perceived as gorgeous, and II IV which look nothing like RPG Maker.
In fact, FFI, II and IVCC look like an high end RPGMaker game but I don't think anyone ever said that or made a big deal about it.
People complained about FFIV, but it got a 3D remake first so I think most people did not care as much as with this version. This on the other hand looks as shitty as FFD, Matrix should be ashamed. I can only pray for a 3D remake in the works as well.

Goli

People complained about FFIV, but it got a 3D remake first so I think most people did not care as much as with this version. This on the other hand looks as shitty as FFD, Matrix should be ashamed. I can only pray for a 3D remake in the works as well.

I don't think Matrix did this. Or FFD's iOS/Android port. I think it was SE China but I may be wrong.

Silvawuff

Would opinions of this game change if it was half the price?

I'm not digging the art style myself, but that doesn't make the game fundamentally bad. Or does it?

So... who's getting this?

haha holy shit, now that i think about it, this cost only like $3 less than FFX HD (if you split the games in that bundle).

Goli

So... who's getting this?

haha holy shit, now that i think about it, this cost only like $3 less than FFX HD (if you split the games in that bundle).

I am.
And yeah, but is it really that different? FFXHD has about the same amount of effort as FFIII and IV's iOS ports which are priced similarly.
I think it's a fair price for FFV considering you can get a way worse version on PSN for $9.99.

I hope it comes to Android quick.

I don't give a shit about the styling, does not look that particularly bad.

mzl.sbjsynlx.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.ixupamrc.320x480-75.jpg

By the exdeaths !!!

<This looks bad>

and i say this since ff5 is my favorite FF.
I can't believe this ... This team should never work on ff6 ios

Jarate

Banned
These games may look bad in screenshots, but FF Dimensions looked pretty nice in motion. The only thing that's really jarring is the sleek look of the dialogue box and font, which does not mesh well in a game that's supposed to look "retro"

Kokonoe

Banned
I'll just play the SNES version when I get it as the spritework here is bland and also like 20 year old play-doh.

I am.
And yeah, but is it really that different? FFXHD has about the same amount of effort as FFIII and IV's iOS ports which are priced similarly.
I think it's a fair price for FFV considering you can get a way worse version on PSN for $9.99.

True...

I might cave in too lol. I bought FF4 on ios minute one, and still only touched it for like an hr :(

Well maybe it's more justified this time cuz I've played FF4 on ds and psp, but never played 5 before.

8 directions is kinda welcome. Even as someone who really loved the 2D FFs, it was just disorienting to be limited to 4 directions when using the touchscreen.

Man, those sprites are bad. I'm not even talking about the style (which I don't mind). The animation just twitches in the wrong ways. The PSP ones were miles better.

fates

The visuals aren't as bad as I felt they were when I first saw them (I hate the interface though), but still... they could have went FF1/2/4 PSP quality. That would have been nice.

But I think 20$ is a bit much.

And I have a feeling this might rule out 3DS remakes of V and VI. Square Enix doesn't seem to have any plans on supporting the 3DS in the west anymore, so this takes care of that.

Toth

Interface and graphics look great, sprites look terrible, and the portraits, while beautiful, look NOTHING like the sprites.

Top Bottom