• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy V out now for iOS.

Well, since FF3 and FF4 just went on sale... I'll be playing those until this one goes on sale.

Their pricing seems dumb, but then again I still buy the games (usually on sale though), so I guess it's working for them... Isn't mobile about the only thing going well at SE these days?

Goli

It's $16.99 USD.

We have no price confirmed yet but I think it's gonna be $15.99 USD. FFIV launched at the same price as FFV in NZ and it wasn't $16.99, but $15.99 rather.
Even so me and others have already stated that it isn't $20 but since people obviously don't read the OP...

Minsc

Gold Member
What? 3d games like infinity blade kill my battery (4s) from 100% in 90 mins to 2 hours.

how you are getting 4-6 hours is beyond me.

Did a little follow-up test with Final Fantasy IV just now (thank god for auto-battle), starting at 98% battery life:

Time - % remaining:
10:07 - 98%
10:37 - 90%
11:07 - 82%
11:37 - 73%
12:07 - 65%
12:37 - 57%

Total:
2:30 hrs = 41% battery used

Average:
30 mins = 8% battery used

So ~6 hours on a full charge for FFIV on an iPhone 5, vs around 4 for Epic Citadel on an iPhone 4.

I've never played FF5 and was looking forward to the Android port of it. However, after seeing what they did to the visuals I think I'll play it on something else instead. Would the GBA version be the way to go?

I've never played FF5 and was looking forward to the Android port of it. However, after seeing what they did to the visuals I think I'll play it on something else instead. Would the GBA version be the way to go?

The European version if you can. They fixed a timer related Reset spell bug.

I remember people were raising a stink over the new FF I & II Anniversary art. Though yeah, not as much as they are here. 8-way movement is nice though.

Isn't the gba one also kinda buggy?

Are snes ff games on vc?

A few notes in the soundtrack were off, but that was it.

The VC has the SNES games, yes. Note that I said SNES games. No FFV for us.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Wow, this looks atrocious! Like something that was made in RPG Maker.

And it's showing as $19.99 in the Canadian store. For that kind of money I would expect nothing less than a DS-style 3D remake.

Not surprised at all that Square Enix is going down in flames, they just haven't got a clue at the moment.

Might have considered this, but the asking price and it simply not looking so hot equals nah. Helps that my good old solid-as-a-rock original DS has FFV in the GBA slot.

1qUEUcF.png

Looks like someone already did, LOL!

That price is beyond the coo coo bird. They go with the old art for the monsters but can't be bothered to give you decent looking sprites...bleh.

Just buy the GBA port folks, move along here, nothing to see.

Eidan

My biggest issue are the character portraits in relation to the sprites. Either make the portraits look like the sprites, or vice versa. The complete disconnect between them is stupid.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
What I find really crushing is that this is it now for FFV on iOS. They're never going to revisit it and actually do a good job like they did with III and IV.

It's done, it's out, and that's all they're going to do, regardless of whether it's crap or not. And that's it for one of the best games in the series.

They could have done so much more with this. So much more. It's lazy, disrespectful to both the fans and the franchise, and a total waste of time and effort. I'm off to the angry dome.

wow. the gba cart is pretty reasonably priced on ebay used. (<$20) Decisions decisions.

For people that finished FF dimensions, does the art look better on a smaller screen and does it grow on ya?

KiTA

Second I Saw the OP I was like "Oh god, this thread is going to be filled with people going 'lol $20'."

Thread does not disappoint.

Gaulf's artwork is odd looking. The sprites, art and yes, font, all look great.

Really looking forward to the Android release of this... at some random date in the future.

Kinda odd to see them add 8 point support when the original game only used the standard d-pad.

lupin23rd

So has anyone actually bought this that can provide some feedback?

Going to guess no based on the feedback in this thread.

Video looked better than the screenshots, considering this for an impulse buy.

KiTA

For people that finished FF dimensions, does the art look better on a smaller screen and does it grow on ya?

Yes, it looks much better on an actual device screen. Yes, it grows on you. That might be why I find all this "zomg RPGMaker, I'm so witty har har" stuff to be a bit silly.

The alternative was to what, zoom the GBA screen and throw a blur filter on it? And black bars on either the left/right or top/bottom? They had to do something, especially considering the game has to scale to different screen sizes.

FF6 should look better, though, since they won't have to redo any of the sprites to fit this "2 tile high" format they changed FF5's out of battle stuff to use.

Second I Saw the OP I was like "Oh god, this thread is going to be filled with people going 'lol $20'."

Thread does not disappoint.

Gaulf's artwork is odd looking. The sprites, art and yes, font, all look great.

Really looking forward to the Android release of this... at some random date in the future.

Kinda odd to see them add 8 point support when the original game only used the standard d-pad.

Maybe because it's a crummy port? Awful even? Downright putrid for a legitimately great game? You tell me.

Goli

What I find really crushing is that this is it now for FFV on iOS. They're never going to revisit it and actually do a good job like they did with III and IV.

It's done, it's out, and that's all they're going to do, regardless of whether it's crap or not. And that's it for one of the best games in the series.

They could have done so much more with this. So much more. It's lazy, disrespectful to both the fans and the franchise, and a total waste of time and effort. I'm off to the angry dome.
FF fans.

Yes, it looks much better on an actual device screen. Yes, it grows on you. That might be why I find all this "zomg RPGMaker, I'm so witty har har" stuff to be a bit silly.

The alternative was to what, zoom the GBA screen and throw a blur filter on it? And black bars on either the left/right or top/bottom? They had to do something, especially considering the game has to scale to different screen sizes.

FF6 should look better, though, since they won't have to redo any of the sprites to fit this "2 tile high" format they changed FF5's out of battle stuff to use.
If VI is done they'll probably have to redo everything anyway for retina display. Unless they make it all pixelated which I suppose is what a lot of people want instead of completely redone sprites in a style they don't like.
Maybe because it's a crummy port? Awful even? Downright putrid for a legitimately great game? You tell me.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't? You haven't even played it.
In fact, it's kind of amazing to see how people are so upset and judging the game based on how the game looks and whether it meets their own made up standards or not... since that just further proves SE's belief that FF is all about the graphics and then we get FFXIII again.
Then again this also happened with FFD which turned out to look OK, and this actually looks a lot better than it.
Or maybe it's just a vocal minority that complains about these things since FFD seems to have sold well enough and this probably will too.

RPGCrazied

Already played this several times over, and its priced $20 to play it on iOS? Nah, I'll just go back to the PSX version, thanks.

FF fans.

If VI is done they'll probably have to redo everything anyway for retina display. Unless they make it all pixelated which I suppose is what a lot of people want instead of completely redone sprites in a style they don't like.

In fact, it's kind of amazing to see how people are so upset and judging the game based on how the game looks and whether it meets their own made up standards or not... since that just further proves SE's belief that FF is all about the graphics and then we get FFXIII again.
Then again this also happened with FFD which turned out to look OK, and this actually looks a lot better than it.
Or maybe it's just a vocal minority that complains about these things since FFD seems to have sold well enough and this probably will too.

Maybe we just want a proper port? Is that too much to ask?

KtSlime

A proper port for you might not be for someone else.

Personally, I had hoped they gave V the III and IV treatment, put them in 3D, zoom in on cutscenes, etc. But had they done that there would be those who don't like that, and SE would ask for even more money, and more people would complain that it's not a dollar. I don't think this looks bad. My biggest complaint is that Amano's work just doesn't fit with the presentation (but then again, it doesn't with any FF), the second is the muted styling and lankiness of the character art, but after playing Legends/Dimensions it doesn't bother me very much - it's just not how I would have done it. But then again isn't this always the case when re-envisioning a work?

The art style was okay for FFD, but good god don't bastardize great spites with that garbage, and LOL $20 there goes any chance I had of picking it up.

Aeana

FF fans.

Most people are upset because this comes off as a replacement for an actual remake. Whether this is high quality or not, it isn't what people wanted for an FF5 remake, and that's the major source of frustration.

Goli

This is more of a remake than a port so of course things are gonna get changed. I guess you could ask for an unchanged port but I don't think that's happening now.

Also I think I'll add a little something to the OP and maybe people will read and see it's not $20.

Most people are upset because this comes off as a replacement for an actual remake. Whether this is high quality or not, it isn't what people wanted for an FF5 remake, and that's the major source of frustration.

This.

Remember what they did for the 3d version of FFIV? The visuals weren't all that changed.

Imagine what gameplay tweaks might have been for a FFV remake.

This is more of a remake than a port so of course things are gonna get changed. I guess you could ask for an unchanged port but I don't think that's happening now.

Also I think I'll add a little something to the OP and maybe people will read and see it's not $20.

Only non-cosmetic difference I see so far is 8-directional movement. Doesn't sound like anything else will have changed.

Aeana

This.

Remember what they did for the 3d version of FFIV? The visuals weren't all that changed.

Only non-cosmetic difference I see so far is 8-directional movement. Doesn't sound like anything else will have changed.

I've been dreaming for years of a job system upgrade for FF5. I don't think I'll ever get it.

I've been dreaming for years of a job system upgrade for FF5. I don't think I'll ever get it.

I've even nerdily sketched one out, closely resembling FFT's job system but with FFX-2's ability-learning system, and using action/support/reaction abilities from FF5, FFX-2, FFT, and the two FFT:A games.

Sigh.

They really do need to bring back the FFV Job system. I mean V is quite fun but if you don't know what you're doing, it can be a big time pain and that can turn people off...=/

Javaman

I'm consistently surprised at how poorly they allow the fabled versions of their FF games to be made. Even if these are just mobile versions, these games are the reason people still care about FF, and it does a disservice to the integrity of the franchise to release versions of the games with such low standards. If it's not the visuals, it's the controls. If it's not those, it's something else.

Yeah, the droid version of FF1 is a complete turd. Here's the mini review I wrote on the play store...
I bought this after playing FF dimensions and can't believe how terrible it runs compared to the newer game. I really dig the interface updates but the changing framerate (sometimes sub 5fps) totally ruins it. Doesn't run fullscreen and has blackbars on the sides and top. The fonts look like they are scaled and are blurry and hard to read. Requires an internet connection on startup. Do yourself a favor and buy the vastly superior FF Dimensions. This is a 7 dollar turd

DonMigs85

Wonder if FFVI will get the same treatment. I'd prefer a nice remake on the 3DS instead, maybe with the FMV from the PS1 version.

soldat7

Why did they have to foul this up so bad? Metal Slug looks so amazing on iOS in comparison. Square should have just given this to DotEmu.

Goli

Why did they have to foul this up so bad? Metal Slug looks so amazing on iOS in comparison. Square should have just given this to DotEmu.
Aren't all Metal Slug games on iOS just filtered emulated games?
SE tried that with Chrono Trigger and it wasn't so good.
FFI and FFII are filtered too and they don't look so good either...
This.

I was talking about cosmetic differences only since that's the only thing that matters apparently.

Goli

You pick (iPad Retina resolutions, btw):

Now that's love.

Oh that's great, but Metal Slug's art has aged a lot better than FFV's and I'm sure that would put off a lot of potential new customers... then again this new one puts off a lot of old ones. Perhaps there's still hope for Chrono Trigger at least, since today it got updated with a whole new language.

Top Bottom