• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy V out now for iOS.

Goli

So the job system isn't friendly for newcomers?

Whats a good resource for this game for me to dig into?

It is, but I don't think you should dig into any resources, part of the fun is figuring out which jobs work best for you and just experimenting in general! You can't really screw yourself out anyway so you don't lose anything.

wrowa

I haven't played them on iOS, but I think it's worth noting that both FF1 and FF2 are looking pretty great on screenshots. Much better than what SE has done with Dimensions and FFV. It even uses a proper font which doesn't clash with the atmosphere of the game!

mzl.ohihrpaj.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.ojxkvpmd.320x480-75.jpg

Final Fantasy V is a total downgrade compared to that. Sure, I guess FFI and FFII are looking that way since they are based on the PSP remakes, but even then: If they want me to pay 15€ for the games, I expect more than a cheaply made port with no effort put into it.

So the job system isn't friendly for newcomers?

Whats a good resource for this game for me to dig into?

It's perfectly friendly for newcomers, IMO. It's just that you won't necessarily beat every single boss on the first try, and might need to mix up your job and ability setup in certain cases. For example, against a machine boss with heavy attacks and a strong Thunder weakness, you might want to switch to Monks and Black Mages so you can withstand the attacks with some high-HP party members and do huge damage with your mages, *even if those are not the classes you've been leveling so far*.

Don't see it as a game where you need to stick to the classes you currently have equipped all the time in order to max them out before moving on to the next ones, because that's a lot harder, honestly than switching up jobs to meet the challenges at hand. Unless you're trying to challenge yourself by making the game tougher.

But it's a game with tons of depth, which is why it's beatable with just about any setup in the four-job challenges a lot of people do every year - *every* class is useful, though some of them are more obviously and straightforwardly useful than others.

Goli

I haven't played them on iOS, but I think it's worth noting that both FF1 and FF2 are looking pretty great on screenshots. Much better than what SE has done with Dimensions and FFV. It even uses a proper font which doesn't clash with the atmosphere of the game!

Final Fantasy V is a total downgrade compared to that. Sure, I guess FFI and FFII are looking that way since they are based on the PSP remakes, but even then: If they want me to pay 15€ for the games, I expect more than a cheaply made port with no effort put into it.

I think those screenshots are from older iOS devices, on newer ones the game's upscaled for retina display and ends up looking a bit blurry, like this:
img_0202a8ulf.png

vs Final Fantasy Dimensions which looks more or less like FFV's mobile remake:
img_02379xqk7.png

vs FFIV DS -> iOS:
img_0238q1qc9.png

Those FF1 and FF2 screens look good.

FF Dimensions look like it's made by the same team as the FF5 port.

Looking closing to that dimensions screen...that tiling is worse than RPGMaker...It's one thing for it to look like tiles, but it's another to have edges that don't even line up.

dream

I dunno. I just bought it and I'm excited as shit because I've never gotten more than maybe a quarter of the way through, and even that was on a fan translated SNES ROM like 10 years ago.

I think it looks pretty good on my iPhone 5. Sure, the chunky, spritey SNES aesthetic is gone, but I'm not convinced that's such a bad thing.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Boo, no iCloud support...

garbage. this frustrates me the most about these releases. universal app is nice and all :):shakes fist at twewy::) but I want to be able to play this on the go on my iphone and then play it on my ipad when I'm at home.

final_fantasy_v_advance_for_gba-275011-1306292368.jpeg

mzl.gdeuunmp.480x480-75.jpg

I think it looks ok from the head up but the way the characters stand does look off. It makes their bodies look too elongated and stiff. Prefer the "dukes up/flexed arms" pose of the original. Things do look better depending on the outfit though as some of them tend to round out the character and they look less like stick figures. Has anyone actually played it yet? Does it look any better in motion?

Faris
doesn't look ambiguous
anymore haha

Still not sure what kind of outfit King Tycoon is supposed to be wearing. In the original I thought he looked like a dragoon like Kain and in this screenshot he looks like a ninja like Edge hah

icloud is more problem than it's worth due to it not working a large % of the time. It's quite easy to move files between devices (guide on first post of ios gaming OT) though.

RedSwirl

Fuck. Forget everything I said. Sprites look horrible in motion. Everything else looks alright but damn those sprites. Hope FFVI looks more like the PSP games.

randomkid

Hahaha the characters oh lord. Even worse in motion! Poor Lenna, what a disaster.

I guess the backgrounds look fine and maybe I've become inured to the goofier looking monster art, but yeesh. Music sounds a little off to me too but that's probably just listening to the old version too many times.

Hoping that FFVI looks like the PSP games, look at what it's come to!

Magnus

I wonder if they won't bother altering the VI sprites that much since they're already....'two blocks' tall, so to speak. They were the only one of the NES/SNES FFs to have identical sprites in and out of battle, right?

Maybe some smoothing/AA, as per some emulation filters. Somehow....somehow I feel as though they're likelier to be preserved than I-V's sprites. I don't know why. It's just that they're elaborate and animated enough as is. Why fuck with it? I-V's sprites were...primitive.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I wonder if they won't bother altering the VI sprites that much since they're already....'two blocks' tall, so to speak. They were the only one of the NES/SNES FFs to have identical sprites in and out of battle, right?

Maybe some smoothing/AA, as per some emulation filters. Somehow....somehow I feel as though they're likelier to be preserved than I-V's sprites. I don't know why. It's just that they're elaborate and animated enough as is. Why fuck with it? I-V's sprites were...primitive.

You never know. Chrono Trigger was pretty much straight up port. I'm not really a fan of those though. Played them to death on emulators if I'm going to shell out the big bucks ($15-20) I at least want some type of update. :p

Jacobbles

So just how bad is the PSX version of FF5? I have some PSN credit left over and I'm thinking of getting it. Worth it, or are there bad load times like FF6?

So just how bad is the PSX version of FF5? I have some PSN credit left over and I'm thinking of getting it. Worth it, or are there bad load times like FF6?
Avoid at all costs.

Horrible translation (Y-Burn!), no extra content and it plays as slow as molasses.

Hmmm played a little bit. Indeed the animations suck. If you can't properly mimick it, just do a normal attack animation.

Anyhow if I just think this game is just an indie game, it feels better in my head.

Also first time playing this, but I'm gonna guess the story isn't a high point? 30min in, nothing makes sense. Meteors pirates wind.

Also why does bartz art look nothing like his sprite.

I'm curious if you can toggle the ugly Amano portraits. I'd find it really disconnecting to play as big eyed pink haired Lenna only to see some pale goth girl come up when she talks.

The sprites in this are so-so. I think their heads look fine, it's just their default standing position that looks really off.

iOS real talk. Not many apps actually use cloud saves, and if they have some sort of save system they usually do it with their own system or use dropbox or something. It's mostly due to cloud saves being a pain to implement, and it doesn't seem to work all the time, which = getting emails from customers complaining. Also the creators can't do shit about it cause it's on apple's end.

Goli

They haven't supported one Final Fantasy game with iCloud support. For long ass RPG's like these it is absolutely ridiculous to not have this as I often switch between my ipad and iphone.
FF ATB has iCloud support.

Hmmm played a little bit. Indeed the animations suck. If you can't properly mimick it, just do a normal attack animation.

Anyhow if I just think this game is just an indie game, it feels better in my head.

Also first time playing this, but I'm gonna guess the story isn't a high point? 30min in, nothing makes sense. Meteors pirates wind.

Also why does bartz art look nothing like his sprite.

Animations in this game are like they always have been in FF games. In fact, there are additional frames in some stuff like Syldra opening its mouth, the "glow" animation and other things.

Anyway, I'm up until the part where you fight Siren and I have to say I quite like this remake. Not getting the UI complaints, it works and it's actually a lot better than FFD/FFIV's, specially the battle interface... The monsters look REALLY good, definitely on par with FFI/II/IVCC, battle sprites for PCs not so much, but they work.

img_0286xex57.png

Also I love Faris' laughing animation
0b731e61da3d104a5aa030b8b67d9f96.gif

lol I do find it odd that the sprites look nothing like the art. wheres faris's pirate robe.

I do love how all the lass's have giant boobs. Modernization.

Oh wow the meteor scene is the same but with the meteor blurred/ under some kind of filter. hahaha

This... quality is all over the place, it's very inconsistent. Feels like a fan "port". A fan port that's only about half done and still using a lot of placeholder art.

I picked it up, monster art and background art are great. Those character sprites are just as terrible in action as they are in screenshots.

Maybe when I unlock the class system the different class sprites will make them look better.

Tymerend

I love FF5, but echoing just about everyone else, the price point and those ugly reworked sprites are such a deal breaker.

The people something like FF5 would appeal to are the exact ones who would find the artwork a reason to not purchase it. I'm honestly baffled by the decision. I really don't get it.

Vamphuntr

Diagonal walking is terrible in caves. The walls aren't flat in these areas and it's hard to navigate on a phone as you get stuck on wall. Someone has to make a gif of Bartz's happy animation like when he drinks the water in the spring in the pirate's hideout. It's hilariously awful.

Link Man

Banned
FF ATB has iCloud support.

Animations in this game are like they always have been in FF games. In fact, there are additional frames in some stuff like Syldra opening its mouth, the "glow" animation and other things.

Anyway, I'm up until the part where you fight Siren and I have to say I quite like this remake. Not getting the UI complaints, it works and it's actually a lot better than FFD/FFIV's, specially the battle interface... The monsters look REALLY good, definitely on par with FFI/II/IVCC, battle sprites for PCs not so much, but they work.

img_0286xex57.png

Also I love Faris' laughing animation
0b731e61da3d104a5aa030b8b67d9f96.gif

The Wing Raptor screenshot in your post has sold me on this, I think. Will get when it arrives on Android.

Top Bottom