• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII Won't Be at TGS + Other S-E TGS Line-up News

Man God

Non-Canon Member
AgentChris said:
Which comes out 1st, Final Fantasy Versus or The Last Guardian? I say TLG.

I actually had a similar thought but replaced TLG with DQ X.

I think DQ X wins, by the way.

PerZona

This is bullshit. Seriously.

But i guess FFXIII-2 HAVE to be released first before Square starts promoting Versus XIII. I really hope that's the case, this game has been in development for TOO long. And this game better be fantastic as i have really high hopes for it.

Pachinko

What happened the japanese game developer work ethic of old? In the days of ps2 it never took more then 2 years to build a game, now all the japanese studios take like 5+ and expect people to still give 2 shits when the product finally comes out. The worst part is that these games with obscene development cycles come out with less stuff in them half the time then the games made in 2 years last gen.

It's not really a problem unique to japan, plenty of western studios seem to take for freaking ever to make games now. Is the problem that no one can riegn in a solid vision? are these games simply too big ? or the scenario I propose- are the development studios just hung up on not releasing games anymore because they know the game is shit.

I'm sure versus XIII will come out eventually, probably get retitled FFXV in the process and it'll be just as disapointing as ever square game made since 2001 but really, WHY , why does it have to take so long to make this stuff? They have money, they have staff, it should not be taking 36, 48 or even 60+ months to finish these games.

BlazingDarkness said:
Wada is inept.

fixed.

But seriously I put all this blame on Wada and his continuate shitty, weak management of the company. Nothing has gone smooth since he got that position. Prime display of a bad example.

Step the fuck down Wada.

PerZona said:
This is bullshit. Seriously.

But i guess FFXIII-2 HAVE to be released first before Square starts promoting Versus XIII. I really hope that's the case, this game has been in development for TOO long. And this game better be fantastic as i have really high hopes for it.
That's one problem with games that take forever to come out, when it does come out people's expectations will be up to the roof. I think Rage will have the same problems as well.

Barakov

Can't say I'm surprised but pretty disappointing none the less. Hopefully, some interesting stuff will come out of the 25th anniversary they're doing.

Defuser

AgentChris said:
Which comes out 1st, Final Fantasy Versus or The Last Guardian? I say TLG.
TLG don't even have much coverage,media nor even a gameplay of it. At least VersusXIII does.

Pachinko said:
What happened the japanese game developer work ethic of old? In the days of ps2 it never took more then 2 years to build a game, now all the japanese studios take like 5+ and expect people to still give 2 shits when the product finally comes out. The worst part is that these games with obscene development cycles come out with less stuff in them half the time then the games made in 2 years last gen.

All Japanese studios? Besides Square-Enix with FFXIII, Agito and Versus, and SCEJ with Gran Turismo 5 and The Last Guardian, what other Japanese studios have had highly publicized long development times?

DR2K

Banned
we.are.the.armada said:
I think you're wrong on all three points there, but if you've got some evidence to back up that post, bring it on DR2K!

It's just looking like shades of FFXIII all over again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
hosannainexcelsis said:
All Japanese studios? Besides Square-Enix with FFXIII, Agito and Versus, and SCEJ with Gran Turismo 5 and The Last Guardian, what other Japanese studios have had highly publicized long development times?

Kojima Productions.

hosannainexcelsis said:

DQIX, Skyward Sword, some other Japanese games have had development cycles that went way too long. Western studios have a lot of it as well though

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Boney said:
Yep. One of the best RPG's I've played this decade. Probably the best FF of the last ten years.

Didn't it bomb everywhere though?
Japanese sales don't seem too terrible, but considering that it's a Final Fantasy title, I think its performance would probably be seen as lacklustre. Dunno about US/EU numbers, but my guess is that it probably as well as expected.

I'd love a second game, though.

Next best thing would be for Final Fantasy Legends to be localized and put on WiiWare/3DSWare/PSN/XBLA. It looks like fun.

You know, if I had a baby when this game was announce'd be on his way to 2nd grade by now.

I won't be surprised if the game is being made as a multiplatform release and the release date of the game will be announced when the lead designer shows up at a nintendo or microsoft press conference to announce that the game will be going to the wii u or the Xbox360

or it has been moved to the PSvita.

hosannainexcelsis said:

The high profile ones this generation appear to be complete fuckin' train wrecks.

Why would Squeenix feel the need to let this game be seen? Sales are only down 25% and Profits dropped By 62%, no need to show big games to the press when you're doing that good...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
IdreamofHIME said:
Why would Squeenix feel the need to let this game be seen? Sales are only down 25% and Profits dropped By 62%, no need to show big games to the press when you're doing that good...

They don't want to steal XIII-2's hype.

plufim

So... how do all those who insisted that the "still in pre production" story from a few months ago was a mistranslation feel now?

Kagari said:
Kojima Productions.

Ah yes, I forgot about them. Rising still MIA.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
DQIX, Skyward Sword, some other Japanese games have had development cycles that went way too long. Western studios have a lot of it as well though

Skyward Sword? Sure it was delayed, but I don't think the 3 years between the initial vague announcement and now the release is excessively long.

As far as the larger issue, I think we've reached the point where technology makes it difficult to follow through on ambition. The management and money required to make a top-of-the-line HD game are difficult for many companies to attain. Personally, I'd be happy if the industry just stopped pushing tech if it allowed developers to make better games in the end.

Aeana

Dark Schala said:
Japanese sales don't seem too terrible, but considering that it's a Final Fantasy title, I think its performance would probably be seen as lacklustre. Dunno about US/EU numbers, but my guess is that it probably as well as expected.

Next best thing would be for Final Fantasy Legends to be localized and put on WiiWare/3DSWare/PSN/XBLA. It looks like fun.
FFL just recently ended, freeing Tokita up for other stuff. Obviously he'd be working on 4WoL2 if it is indeed in the works, but perhaps a port of that game could happen as well.

Boney

Banned
Dark Schala said:

Looks kinda janky, damn cellphones, but love the artwork. Were they good? Certainly looks good.

PerZona

Crakatak187 said:
That's one problem with games that take forever to come out, when it does come out people's expectations will be up to the roof. I think Rage will have the same problems as well.
Well it's logical since the game is taking so long to be developed, it doesn't make sense for the game to bomb.

And i wonder how long will S-E take to develop Kingdom Hearts 3...sigh -.-

hosannainexcelsis said:
As far as the larger issue, I think we've reached the point where technology makes it difficult to follow through on ambition. The management and money required to make a top-of-the-line HD game are difficult for many companies to attain. Personally, I'd be happy if the industry just stopped pushing tech if it allowed developers to make better games in the end.

I think it's more a case of managing the expectations and emotions of the consumer base effectively.

I don't think tech has anything to do with it. I think some Japanese devs are stuck in the past decade or two decades past when it comes to dealing with the consumer base. To me...it seems to happen often enough that clearly something is "wrong".

RedSwirl

So wait, how long has Versus XIII actually been in development. Looking back we got the first CG trailer in 2006, and what I think was the first footage of an actual in-game engine in 2008. That puts development time at, at least three years now. The only real shocking part of that is that after three years the game is still in pre-production.

Oh, and when it comes out it will be Square Enix's third internally-developed PS3 game (counting XIII-2) and their fourth internally-developed HD console game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Whoa. What is this and why am I only now learning it exists?
It's an episodic FF game for mobile phones in Japan, like The After Years. The fusion abilities idea for FFL seems really cool.

Boney said:
Were they good? Certainly looks good.
Only came out for mobile phones (iMode or EZweb) in Japan, unfortunately. Not sure if any of J-GAF has impressions.

They need to show Chaos Rings and Chaos Rings Omega off in more places to garner more attention for them. They look like two of their best games out there right now. Tried the first one out on my friend's iPhone for a bit and I thought it was pretty cool.

Aeana said:
FFL just recently ended, freeing Tokita up for other stuff. Obviously he'd be working on 4WoL2 if it is indeed in the works, but perhaps a port of that game could happen as well.
It ended last week, I think? I hope it gets ported à la FFIV: The After Years someday. I'm up for more stuff from Tokita, new or old.

Fou-Lu

Final Fantasy Versus 13 will eventually be renamed Final Fantasy 16-2.

I'm doing a playthrough of the series, I'm 2/3rds through FF4 at the moment, as of FF5 I will be playing games I haven't finished. So at least I'll be playing some new to me FF games since this game is the new Duke Nukem Forever.

(Yes I've never finished FF5-13. I have gotten near to finishing FF5, 7 and 9 though)

bigdaddygamebot said:
I think it's more a case of managing the expectations and emotions of the consumer base effectively.

I don't think tech has anything to do with it. I think some Japanese devs are stuck in the past decade or two decades past when it comes to dealing with the consumer base. To me...it seems to happen often enough that clearly something is "wrong".

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here, but given how much development at Square and other Japanese studios has been focused on the less technically powerful handhelds, I can't see how you can say tech has nothing to do with it.

Dark Schala said:
They need to show Chaos Rings and Chaos Rings Omega off in more places to garner more attention for them. They look like two of their best games out there right now. Tried the first one out on my friend's iPhone for a bit and I thought it was pretty cool.

Chaos Rings has some neat ideas, but unfortunately it lacked content, was very repetitive, and had one of the most broken combat systems I've ever seen. It's an overrated game that gets the attention it gets because of the lack of quality RPGs on iOS. At least it looked nice. Hopefully the sequel will fix these issues.

Luthos

It really is ridiculous. Why are they pressing XIII-2 to be first? Why not finish what you started, and then do other games.

At this point, my interest in the game is going down every time it doesn't show up at a game event.

thuway

They really need to scrap plans to release this on current gen hardware and move straight to next gen. Early cash-flow, incentive for customers to go out and purchase new hardware, and having the title of 'best looking JRPG' on Day 1 will probably win a few naysayers over.

They need to call some external companies in and make sure things like Real Time lighting, AO, DOF, MLAA/FXAA, and an entire laundry list of effects are ready before the title ships. I also hope they fix any broken fighting system they may have. If your going to do a psuedo third person shooter- you better have made it feel like Uncharted. If your going to do a third person melee system, you better contact Sony Santa Monica or Kamiya-san. The delays have been too grandiose, its time to step up and take the ball into your own court.

Make this thing for PS4 / 720 (if your delusional enough to think this is PS3 exclusive after all these years of production, dream on). Make it PSVita transfarring compatible in some way.

= Profit.

thuway said:
They really need to scrap plans to release this on current gen hardware and move straight to next gen. Early cash-flow, incentive for customers to go out and purchase new hardware, and having the title of 'best looking JRPG' on Day 1 will probably win a few naysayers over.

They need to call some external companies in and make sure things like Real Time lighting, AO, DOF, MLAA/FXAA, and an entire laundry list of effects are ready before the title ships. Make this thing for PS4 / 720 (if your delusional enough to think this is PS3 exclusive after all these years of production, dream on). Make it PSVita transfarring compatible in some way.

= Profit.
Implementing this laundry list on HD towns is going to set them back three more years.

thuway

InsaneZero said:
Implementing this laundry list on HD towns is going to set them back three more years.

The company is bleeding money, mismanages itself to the bone, and is scrapping the engine they thought was the future (White Engine / Crystal tools). The best thing for them to do is to try and get the ball in their court and atleast bet all their chips on one title.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
thuway said:
The company is bleeding money, mismanages itself to the bone, and is scrapping the engine they thought was the future (White Engine / Crystal tools). The best thing for them to do is to try and get the ball in their court and atleast bet all their chips on one title.
Wait, what?

hosannainexcelsis said:
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here, but given how much development at Square and other Japanese studios has been focused on the less technically powerful handhelds, I can't see how you can say tech has nothing to do with it.

They seem to have the same tools to deal with the tech that everyone else has (relatively). I don't see how some of the high profile devs like SquarEnix, Polyphony Digital etc are struggling with tech and that's why they are appearing to be as disorganized/incompetent as they are. Tech isn't the issue although they might prefer it if the consumer base thinks it.

"Oh! They're putting more polygons in it! Awesome!"

I don't think they are in touch with the consumer base.

I don't think they really understand what their consumer base wants/expects from them.

I don't think they really understand how to manage the "consumer experience" so that the consumer base doesn't invest emotion into their announcements, only to be let down/disappointed on a consistent basis by the decisions made by the developer.

Those three things contribute to these companies making decisions that none of us really seem to understand.

This isn't like Bioware and the challenges they are going through. Bioware is pretty transparent. They are going for greater marketshare and greater profits and they are willing to alienate a portion of their consumer base in order to gain a larger, different consumer base.

There are decisions...management decisions being made at Japanese devs like SquarEnix that just do NOT make sense and it happens enough to make me think it's not something as simple as "tech".

Top Bottom