• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII Won't Be at TGS + Other S-E TGS Line-up News

thuway

InsaneZero said:
Implementing this laundry list on HD towns is going to set them back three more years.
As far back as I can remember, towns in JRPGs were nothing more than closed boxes with virtually zero interaction other than the occasional treasure chest and hitting X on every villager.

If they want to make an HD town, look no further:
uncharted2-tibetan-village-3.jpg

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Kagari said:
No Versus at TGS... think most people knew this though.

Yeah... I think it was expected, and it's for the best. They wanna push FFXIII-2 and Type-0 first, leaving Versus to a dedicated event (January?) and E3/TGS next. I'm excited to see what they have next for us regarding the anniversary. Something for VITA too? Remakes? I'm ready :D

Despera

Banned
I'm still waiting for confirmation that this game actually exists. A stage demo or anything of the kind would be nice at Jump Festa.

thuway said:
As far back as I can remember, towns in JRPGs were nothing more than closed boxes with virtually zero interaction other than the occasional treasure chest and hitting X on every villager.

If they want to make an HD town, look no further:
http://ggeek.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/uncharted2-tibetan-village-3.jpg[/QUOTE]
Square already proved they could make a next gen tunnel game. They don't need to look at Naughty Dog to make a game like that.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
br0ken_shad0w said:
I don't even give a shit about Versus XIII, but this is preventing a HD Kingdom Hearts game from being made.
Seriously. I was all for Versus, but seeing how much of a roadblock this is to a proper KH2 sequel...

Fuck you Nomura. Seriously, fuck you.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I think this is one of the few games that could get me to pick up a PS4 at launch (I hope this doesn't happen, because that would be seriously ridiculous).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Their confirmed TGS titles are XIII-2, Type-0, KH3D and Theatrhythm. They'll have the open mega theater again, and the PVs will eventually be released on the web.

Kaizer

Banned
luxarific said:
I think this is one of the few games that could get me to pick up a PS4 at launch (I hope this doesn't happen, because that would be seriously ridiculous).
Its looking like to me games like Versus XIII and The Last Guardian will be some of the final great games that come out on PS3 either right before or during a transition to PS4.

watershed

Banned
Kagari said:
Their confirmed TGS titles are XIII-2, Type-0, KH3D and Theatrhythm. They'll have the open mega theater again, and the PVs will eventually be released on the web.
Are these confirmed playable or just present? I'm guessing present but it'd be great to get some gameplay vids and hands on impressions.

lantus

I stopped caring about this game a long time ago, so this news doesnt affect me. When we have a release date and we're a month or two from it, then I'll start caring again.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
lantus said:
I stopped caring about this game a long time ago, so this news doesnt affect me. When we have a release date and we're a month or two from it, then I'll start caring again.

Thanks for telling us.

extralite

we.are.the.armada said:
I am still hopeful and excited about this game. I don't know anything about branding or marketing, but would it be practical or even possible for Square Enix to re-brand this game simply as Final Fantasy XV?
Considering that they renamed Agito this might be definitely a possibility. I mean the V in XV even serves as an initial to the earlier Versus monicker and they could avoid the spin-off trap. Only problem is that the action RPG style has never been done before in a mainline FF game. And let's not forget the harsh reactions to the early action version of DQIX.

gbj_05

Neo Member
Not surprised. im not going to stress over it. when they release it, then i be hype over all over again.

zeitgeist

extralite said:
Considering that they renamed Agito this might be definitely a possibility. I mean the V in XV even serves as an initial to the earlier Versus monicker and they could avoid the spin-off trap. Only problem is that the action RPG style has never been done before in a mainline FF game. And let's not forget the harsh reactions to the early action version of DQIX.

They could rename it to 15 and even keep it a Fabulla Novalla Crystallis game too considering FFXII was an Ivalice game and the world didn't exist on its own.

Aeana

Glad to hear KH3D will be playable. Looking forward to movies from the show floor - hopefully someone gets videos of Traverse Town. We haven't seen that in such a long time!

zeitgeist said:
They could rename it to 15 and even keep it a Fabulla Novalla Crystallis game too considering FFXII was an Ivalice game and the world didn't exist on its own.

The Fabula games don't take place in the same world.

jaxword

Dissonance said:
Meh, there's enough games coming out that I won't be bothered by them not showing Versus. When it's ready etc. etc.

Yeah, half the posts are of people whining and making sure everyone knows how much they don't care.

People need to lighten up.

swcqar.png

(._.)

Banned
So that FF still is nowhere to be seen? Wow. It's already passed KZ2 dev time and most games that were announceds for this gen. I almost want it to be the next DN4. Can't say I care as much for a bunch of jrpg characters as I do for The King . Those cut scenes for it though :|

newjeruse said:
Yea, before anyone gets their expectation for anything at TGS, remember how awful the last two TGS's have been.
TGS has been awful for pretty much this entire generation. Last time I recall caring about it was when I used to visit gamespot in 2005ish

AAK

Maybe they're saving it for a Microsoft Japan press con? Have the surprise of the 360 announcement and unleash a bunch of new details + media @ that event?

NateDrake said:
Maybe they'll shock the world and surprise reveal at Gamescom! I know, I know it won't happen. Wonder how long it'll be until the next showing for Versus.

I doubt any exec at S-E knows what Gamescon is.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AAK said:
Maybe they're saving it for a Microsoft Japan press con? Have the surprise of the 360 announcement and unleash a bunch of new details + media @ that event?

“I’d like a chance to show everyone that development is coming along, but we have games like FINAL FANTASY Type-0 and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 that will be released first, and the company’s also telling me to keep project details secret for now. As a result, I apologize, but there won’t be any new screenshots or other media released to the public for a little while.”

They're not going to overshadow XIII-2 with Versus.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kinda makes sense. I mean, if Versus XIII press info, videos, demos, etc. comes out during TGS, it will kill the sales and hype for XIII-2.

BlueWord

Rahxephon91 said:
God that would be so awesome.

The GAF meltdown would be great, but probably not as great as the one that followed FFXIII going multiplat. The impact is already sort of ruined, and people halfway expect it, at this point.

For my part, I think it will stay PS3 exclusive.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
HD towns really are hard to make

It would amazing if we come to find that Versus is a 20 hour game or something. The bouncer of this generation.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tetsuya Nomura, the character designer for the Final Fantasy VII series and co-director of Advent Children,[20][21][22] acted as the supervising director.[16] He had the right to reject or accept concept drawings for Last Order. As a result, Nomura had a large quantity of images redrawn, to the extent where "the entire production was in jeopardy".[16]

After reading that, it all makes sense.

Kyon

Banned
BlueWord said:
The GAF meltdown would be great, but probably not as great as the one that followed FFXIII going multiplat. The impact is already sort of ruined, and people halfway expect it, at this point.

i think it'll be exclusive merely because all Nomura games are released and made on one platform in mind. Am i the only one that noticed this?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I don't give a shit about SE and FF anymore. Fuck them and the series they destroyed.

Aeana

Kyon said:
i think it'll be exclusive merely because all Nomura games are released and made on one platform in mind. Am i the only one that noticed this?
Square Enix hasn't had many multiplatform games, period, so I don't think that's a very good barometer.

AAK

Kagari said:
Tetsuya Nomura, the character designer for the Final Fantasy VII series and co-director of Advent Children,[20][21][22] acted as the supervising director.[16] He had the right to reject or accept concept drawings for Last Order. As a result, Nomura had a large quantity of images redrawn, to the extent where "the entire production was in jeopardy".[16]

After reading that, it all makes sense.

Something tells me that's exactly what TLG development staff are going through.

BlueWord said:

I think everybody knows that's no longer a possibility. SE no longer has anything to gain and so much to lose w/ console exclusivity especially with development costs scaling so high especially for this title.

Kyon

Banned
Aeana said:
Square Enix hasn't had many multiplatform games, period, so I don't think that's a very good barometer.

good point lol. But i have noticed that the games he has directed were only developed/released on one platform. But i could be crazy O__O

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Plywood said:
Ugh Square.

Not sure if the "Luminous" engine/concept is a bad thing. Crystal Tools seems like a huge clusterfuck. With Luminous it seems like they're integrating Eidos tech and developing a better pipeline. Hope for nextgen! (I won't hold my breath though).

Aeana said:
There have been rumblings of 4 Warriors of Light 2. I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of them.

It'd be totally nice! I loved The 4 Heroes of Light, in particular the soundtrack, the artstyle and the battle system, really addictive.

Anyway, poor S-E, it seems it will repeat the perfect handheld support again, since it has no resource in financial and human terms to support the full development of AAA titles on home console. Actually, I wouldn't mind at all.

Dark Schala said:
Japanese sales don't seem too terrible, but considering that it's a Final Fantasy title, I think its performance would probably be seen as lacklustre. Dunno about US/EU numbers, but my guess is that it probably as well as expected.

I do think Japanese sales were able to totally recover development costs, since it was such a small project (though adorable and entertaining as hell); I don't know anything about western sales, but I know for sure the game has not been translated into Italian and Spanish, so with just the English language they could avoid localization costs in PAL countries and earn more even if with niche numbers.
The game plausibly left a good impression in video gamers, and sometimes a strong fans support may justify a sequel even if sales were not particularly stellar. So let's hope :)

Top Bottom