• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI iOS/Android screenshots [Up: Larger]

Interesting that Square decided to take the 2D characters 3D backdrops style that ended up being fairly common for JRPGs in the era and reverse it. Wonder when they made that decision.

No, I will say that when their material is sourced right, i.e. ultimanias, they do a good job.

But there's a lot of fan-created / misremembered stuff that slips by.

The latter is really what I was referring to.

Psxphile

Interesting that Square decided to take the 2D characters 3D backdrops style that ended up being fairly common for JRPGs in the era and reverse it. Wonder when they made that decision.

Probably as soon as they got development kits for PS1 and realized it made more sense that they could achieve greater graphical detail by focusing on CG pre-rendered backgrounds w/ 3D character models rather than by constructing a base polygonal environment with animated low-res 2D sprites. Arguably, one is going to look much better in screenshots over the other, and being the premier game studio in Japan it would not do to look 2nd best.

Look at the initial reactions to that screenshot above. Some people actually thought it looked like something you'd see on the SNES.

Probably as soon as they got development kits for PS1 and realized it made more sense that they could achieve greater graphical detail by focusing on CG pre-rendered backgrounds w/ 3D character models rather than by constructing a base polygonal environment with animated low-res 2D sprites. Arguably, one is going to look much better in screenshots over the other, and being the premier game studio in Japan it would not do to look 2nd best.

Look at the initial reactions to that screenshot above. Some people actually thought it looked like something you'd see on the SNES.

Oh, duh.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So uh, when's this game coming out? On Android specifically. I thought we were looking at a 2013 release.

Cabal

I don't think it looks too bad, but why bother changing it at all? I don't know how much time it takes to redo the art in this style but it's not drastic enough in my opinion to be worth the effort. Just package it as is and the same people would likely still buy it.

I might pick it up, love the game but I'm not big on playing stuff like this on my ipad/iphone.

Developers updating a game shouldn't change anything except for

- better framerate
- better resolution

but they should not touch or alter the source material in any other way.
A better framerate makes sense, and games like Okami HD and SOTC HD prove that a resolution change can make a game experience better.

But why the hell change the whole nature of sprites and fonts? Then you change the whole spirit of a game.

Celine

The image above has sprites on a polygonal environment. It says so underneath the image.
There are no realtime polygons in that screenshot.
It's just a concept screenshot with FF6 art.

Graphically it looks like FFVI if it had higher character sprites and more detailed background (and a change in the prospective of the buildings).

That's because it's entirely 2D and based on FF6 arts.
As it is it looks like an high-end* SNES game or a low-end PS1 game.

* I said high-end SNES game because there is nothing in that single screenshot that is unfeasible on SNES but more detailed backgrounds would have stressed hard the memory starved cartridges if taken in the context of a whole game.

ss_lemonade

- better framerate
- better resolution

A better framerate makes sense, and games like Okami HD and SOTC HD prove that a resolution change can make a game experience better.

But why the hell change the whole nature of sprites and fonts? Then you change the whole spirit of a game.
FF 5 mobile seems to run at a lower framerate (30fps?), so I expect this to do the same lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It says 2014 at the bottom in the copyright notice, which doesn't contradict this winter but still isn't this year. It will also come out in Japan first, right?

No idea. Here's hoping the game comes out soon, though. I assume February would be the latest.

Rootbeer

Banned
The more I look at comparison shots the more I think they've done a pretty good job of translating the original look into something that is a bit more familiar and modern for today's smartphone gamers. It's not my ideal by any means, but I'm considering picking it up. I do wonder if it includes any of the extras from the GBA version?

blanco21

Since someone brought up Seiken Densetsu a couple pages ago, I just wanted to say that the Secret of Mana port was sweet on iOS and I hope they port it to Android.

I am amazed that people don't like the sprites and want 3D models instead. The 3D models always look like shit.

mzl.nhmtsthc.320x480751_thumb.jpg

The 3D models are ugly and make the game look like it's intended for 5 year olds.

Berordn

The 3D models are ugly and make the game look like it's intended for 5 year olds.

You could say the same about the current sprite style they've taken for the iOS remakes though.

I'd actually prefer the SD style character models over FFV and VI's iOS remake.

tbm24

- better framerate
- better resolution

Then it's hardly an update. I'd much rather SE not bother if they aren't going to change something about it to make it worth my money when I've played these games and have owned them for years.

The Spirit of the game isn't shackled to its sprite work, that's ridiculous. Don't like it? More power to you, but don't try and make a case that it changes the actual game when that's simply untrue.

I am amazed that people don't like the sprites and want 3D models instead. The 3D models always look like shit.

I like both. It's cool to see 3D worlds and characters in games you've played several times.

I really liked the FF4 3D version. It does leave less to the imagination.
I'm glad they stuck with sprites for VI though.

Psxphile

- better framerate
- better resolution

I take it you didn't care for REmake?

You seem pretty sure about that. Eh, it's not really worth arguing about. It *looks* like the template used by other games like Grandia, Xenogears and the PS1/DS Dragon Quest games when designing towns. Buildings facing in different directions and what-not. But if you know different...

And I don't recognize anything in that mocked-up screenshot that looks like it came straight out of FF6. What are you on about?

Celine

You seem pretty sure about that. Eh, it's not really worth arguing about. It *looks* like the template used by other games like Grandia, Xenogears and the PS1/DS Dragon Quest games when designing towns. Buildings facing in different directions and what-not. But if you know different...

And I don't recognize anything in that mocked-up screenshot that looks like it came straight out of FF6. What are you on about?
I'm sure about the background being 2D (in that screenshot) because I have eyes and know what PS1 could do.
There are as many realtime polygons in that background as there were in Super Mario RPG (ie: none).

I didn't said "straight out", I said the graphics is based upon the design of FFVI.
Locke, the woman sprite, even the terrain.

blanco21

This is going to suck. I bought FFV on android last night on a drunken whim and all the comments about these ports being soulless and cheap were an understatement. Everything feels so goofy and off because of those fucking sprites; this is my most nostalgic FF and there's pretty much zero magic left. I feel like if I keep playing this I won't like FFV anymore. At least I know to avoid FF Dimensions and this port now.

The auto battle and diagonal movement are kinda nice though.

matthwq

Banned
Currently playing this game on the GBA. First time playing through it. It's incredible.

Avoiding the iOS port like the plague, though.

That's a pretty weird point to make when the original sprites's artwork looked like this:
That your interpretation of the information in the sprites and the gaps your imagination filled in are different does not mean that wasn't the intent from day one. Final Fantasy has always had SD sprites, this is the most faithful transition they could make. I also fail to see any problems with it otherwise, but of course that is subjective.

I for one, would purchase the shit out of a special Final Fantasy-themed edition of Lemmings.

(edit) it could be a nice metaphor for the franchise committing suicide, with the player desperately trying to save it.

Well, 3D models from DS era capabilities sure look bad now (I think the 3D style they went with the DS ports was pretty cool given the posibilities of the console). But let's not fool ourselves thinking that the only option for 3D models is more DS quality models....

AlStrong

They may have used a simple polygon setup to define collision boundaries and/or overdraw. It may offer more flexibility when it comes to art production given the isometric view. *shrug*

jaxword

This is going to suck. I bought FFV on android last night on a drunken whim and all the comments about these ports being soulless and cheap were an understatement. Everything feels so goofy and off because of those fucking sprites; this is my most nostalgic FF and there's pretty much zero magic left. I feel like if I keep playing this I won't like FFV anymore. At least I know to avoid FF Dimensions and this port now.

The auto battle and diagonal movement are kinda nice though.

I hope Rm88~ sees this post.

WillyFive

Huh? But those 3D models look great (especially with texture filtering unlike the DS), and capture perfectly the original sprites in 3D without seeming too chibi or too realistic.

And a 5 year old playing classic Final Fantasy instead of the latest Call of Duty would be great.

Depends on the style they choose, if they re-released FFVI with Dissidia style graphics I wouldn't have a problem

i2MD29Jq3T9d.jpg

That definitely looks better than the style chosen for FFIII and FFIV and mobiles can handle graphics like these

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Agreed, sprites all the way. Chibi sprites work pretty well, but chibi 3D models look goddamn awful.

Not sure what I think of those new iOS sprites. I want to hate them like everyone else but I can't say I really had a "ewww" reaction, it's just... different I guess? It's also a bit early to say, I'll wait until I see more sprites, especially the badass monsters like Atma Weapon. Not that I'll be buying this because fuck giving money to Squeenix by encouraging these stupid ports.

RedSwirl

I've always agreed which is why I never went with the DS version of Final Fantasy IV. It's not even a bout the art style, I just think the DS's 3D capabilities weren't up to the task. I really don't like the look of most pure-3D games on the DS. They look like shitty PS1 and N64 games. PS1 and N64 graphics were fine during their era, but most of those games don't hold up visually today. It would've been much better with perhaps a 2D/3D mix.

Now, if they'd gone the 3D polygonal route on the 3DS or even the PSP I think the results would've been much better. Square's PSP games in particular are some of the best-looking on the system. I think the 3DS has reached just the right point where Japanese anime graphics look good.

Depends on the style they choose, if they re-released FFVI with Dissidia style graphics I wouldn't have a problem

i2MD29Jq3T9d.jpg

That definitely looks better than the style chosen for FFIII and FFIV and mobiles can handle graphics like these

I'd love that, but I doubt Square would invest that kind of money into a mobile game. I mean, the less detailed models, the better, because face it, older FFs had more monster variety(ESPECIALLY FFVI). If they were to do something like that, they'd have to render every single monster you've fought in the original game, now as 3D models with enough detail to NOT look like shit. Face it, they'd have to do a GOOD job considering how beautiful the monster artwork was for FFVI(it's like you were fighting paintings). It's one of the reasons I wouldn't be against a full HD remake, if it's only to allow that sort of detail to exist. If not, keep it sprite-based(though I would've loved a more PSP-style of sprites).

I'm probably the only here but ai think it actually looks good. Not sure if I'd say it's an improvement vut it's definitely not that much worse imo.
I'd love some reaaranged music though, like KH 1.5.

Top Bottom