• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

At this point, can Square go back to making 16-bit and 32-bit style JRPGs? I'd gladly take a FFXVI in either of those styles if it meant that it'd be out a lot sooner, and arguably more enjoyable than FFXV. It's clear that HD development isn't working out well for them.

I almost agree.

CHC

No reason to be surprised by any of this. The Final Fantasy series has been in some sort of managerial / identity crisis since, at the very latest, XIII. I don't know why it's so hard to just make some RPGs that are decent, but time and time again they seem to start with no clear sense of direction. It's really disappointing.

Breakage

SE will trickle out a few trailers to keep the masses happy until PS5 is imminent at which point they'll proudly announce that FF7R episode one will debut as a PS5 launch title.

HeelPower

When Cloud dresses up as a female they should just straight up use Lightnings model.

I dont think this can work.

Lightning is a soldier and her outfit is meant for that.

Cloud dresses up to appear sexy to Don Corneo.So,unless soldiers are his fetish,it wouldnt make sense to dress up as lightning.

Alastor3

At this point, can Square go back to making 16-bit and 32-bit style JRPGs? I'd gladly take a FFXVI in either of those styles if it meant that it'd be out a lot sooner, and arguably more enjoyable than FFXV. It's clear that HD development isn't working out well for them.

Well, the new rpg on the switch is just like that

weltalldx

They just shipped 6.5 million copies of FFXV. They are not going to go back to 16/32 bit mainline FF games lol. High production values have been major selling point of FF games since PS1 days.

FFXV is nowhere near the sales number of the PSX era FF's so I don't understand what you are getting at. In fact, FFXV is one of the lowest selling FF in the mainline series and is heavily relying on dlc, spinoffs and other gimmicks to be profitable.

BasilZero

Stuff like this is the reason why this game is very low on my wishlist.

Cant get any hype if we get keep getting stuff like this which leads to longer development time.

FFXV is nowhere near the sales number of the PSX era FF's so I don't understand what you are getting at. In fact, FFXV is one of the lowest selling FF in the mainline series and is heavily relying on dlc, spinoffs and other gimmicks to be profitable.

You might actually check sales figures before posting.

XV will likely be the third best selling game of the series after its ported to PC, and was profitable day 1.

jett

D-Member

I wouldn't be surprised if FFXV outsold FF9 at least. Then again FFXV undoubtedly cost more than any FF game before it.

N7.Angel

They just shipped 6.5 million copies of FFXV. They are not going to go back to 16/32 bit mainline FF games lol. High production values have been major selling point of FF games since PS1 days.

And they never reach the quality of those PS1 games again in almost 3 generation, FFX is probably the only one that come close the worst FF game of the PS1 in term of quality...

Wagram

Still blows me away that they would even outsource a project of this magnitude. This is guaranteed to sell like crazy and you hand it off to a nobody. Then again it's not like the Square-Enix name means much these days either.

fortunato

Banned
They just shipped 6.5 million copies of FFXV. They are not going to go back to 16/32 bit mainline FF games lol. High production values have been major selling point of FF games since SNES days.

Fixed ;)

FFXV was very successful, indeed. Two things are worth looking at, though:
  • legs: were sales very front-loaded? FFXV was a very anticipated game, and had a pretty big marketing campaign; it was also the first very big jRPG on PS4. Of course debut was really good, but how was the game able to sustain sales after the launch period?
  • Reputation: FFXIII also sold very well but it was a divisive title, and had a bad reputation (result: the sequels sold less and less). I don't know how FFXV was received by the general public, but it might have tainted the IP once more, to the point that sequels/spin-offs/additional version might not succeed, or even the next entry can suffer.

jett

D-Member
On CG trailers and Roen clothing advertisements.

Give me back my SNES-era FF, please.

I was thinking more along the lines of the aborted Versus project. :p I really wonder what's FFXV's total budget including what was wasted on Versus and all of their bullshit engines.

I wouldn't say you're naive. I mean, 20th anniversary makes a lot of damn sense. =P

But maybe they're going for a 25th anniversary now. xD~~

When it was revealed that CC2 was allegedly working on FF7 since 2014, I thought maybe there was a chance. I thought at least a demo of some sort bundled into another game.

But Squeenix did absolutely nothing for the 20th anniversary of this game.

Still blows me away that they would even outsource a project of this magnitude. This is guaranteed to sell like crazy and you hand it off to a nobody. Then again it's not like the Square-Enix name means much these days either.

I'm with you. I get that they were spread thin between Final Fantasy XV, Dragon Quest XI, and Kingdom Hearts III but I still find it crazy that they would outsource this remake in the first place.

This isn't a game like Nier or some Final Fantasy spinoff. This is Final Fantasy 7. You don't just get someone else to do that. It's gonna take them a long time to "finish" this remake but I'm happy they're actually the ones doing the work.

Fixed ;)

• legs: were sales very front-loaded? FFXV was a very anticipated game, and had a pretty big marketing campaign; it was also the first very big jRPG on PS4. Of course debut was really good, but how was the game able to sustain sales after the launch period?
  • Reputation: FFXIII also sold very well but it was a divisive title, and had a bad reputation (result: the sequels sold less and less). I don't know how FFXV was received by the general public, but it might have tainted the IP once more, to the point that sequels/spin-offs/additional version might not succeed, or even the next entry can suffer.

In regards to reputation I think XV is doing just fine. Sure, there is a deafeningly loud portion of GAF that hates the game but I haven't seen the level of vitrol and sheer negativity the same way I saw it for XIII.

Meowster

Aren’t VII, VIII, X, and XIII the only games that have outsold XV so far? XV is probably on track to outsell XIII soon with the PC port coming out soon too.

Bravely Default.
I am Setsuna.
Lost Sphear.
Octopath Traveller.
World of FF.
FF Brave Exvius.

I mean... Dude...

Only FF VII is probably out of reach. XV has already outsold IX (5.3 million) and if PC version sells well it will get past VIII too (8 million). Also you realize that PS1 era FF games were AAA games back then and that was major part of their success? Just like FF XV is AAA game today.

Aters

Fixed ;)

Regarding legs. The day one shipment was 5 million, and soon another million was shipped, and now it's at 6.5 million, seems fine to me. A PC version will push it pass 7 million for sure. The only question is if it can break 8 million, which really mostly depends on deep discount like all the other AAA games.

As for reputation, people said the same after FFXIII, yet FFXV seems to do just fine. NeoGAF does not represent the taste of the crowd, which has been proven over and over across many different titles.

This game is never coming out. I got into JRPGs with FFX, so I missed the beloved earlier ones and the grand FFVII, would love to see it actually release, especially with production values of XV.

Maybe, just maybe, kingdom hearts will actually come out next year.

When its all said and done i think its going to be

VII
X
XV
VIII
XIII

VII is easily staying #1 unless Square makes a Skyrim or Witcher 3 type phenomenon, X is probably out of reach at #2, that game was a beast in the sales department. After XV gets its PC port (and inevitable 4k remasters) i think it will pass VIII.

It was still going to be supervised by SE. It's not like CC2 had carte blanche to do whatever.

Glad I decided to ignore this game until it eventually comes out. Will progress badly ignore all news coming up until release date annoucement.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Aren’t VII, VIII, X, and XIII the only games that have outsold XV so far? XV is probably on track to outsell XIII soon with the PC port coming out soon too.

This doesn't take into account gaming population inflation though. There were MUCH more people buying games in 2016 than there were in 1997. If FFXV was proportionally the same popularity, it would crush FFVII's numbers.

Pachinko

This game is never coming out. I got into JRPGs with FFX, so I missed the beloved earlier ones and the grand FFVII, would love to see it actually release, especially with production values of XV.

Maybe, just maybe, kingdom hearts will actually come out next year.

It will but I suspect it'll be much smaller than anyone expects and it'll have 4-6 DLC episodes that add in "lost chapters" and maybe even an epilogue sequence or post game bosses. The original game appears to have 8 Disney "stages/worlds" and the second game appears to add an additional 5 while revisiting many of the first games worlds. I think KH3 may well have only 6 new worlds to account for the improved fidelity. At most I'd expect perhaps 4 returning areas. Quite a few Disney films have made it out in the 12 years since KH2 released most of them CG movies which would lead me to assume they'll all get some form of representation. Tangled , frozen , big hero 6 , zootopia , we've also seen toy story and of course the classic Hercules. Going by average appearance I'd say Aladdin will show up again too and who knows ? Maybe one other Pixar movie as well. Those hoping for Marvel/Star Wars might be a bit out of luck.

Either way , I expect KH3 will be half as big as people want but the DLC will add much of the missing pieces and then a deluxe version will come out with all of it in there ... maybe as a ps5 game.

A miserable pile of secr-

actually, you can just use the adjective "miserable" and it works.

I got World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XV, Zodiac Age, and now FF9 all in the past 9 months, im very happy with the franchise right now. =)

Admittedly, i'll probably get antsy next year because im not an MMO, Mobile, or Dissidia guy.

Top Bottom