• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake shifts to internal dev under Mobius project leader

Dark_castle

Feels good to return to the good ol' Versus days.

giphy.gif

Clearly Square Enix and Nomura believes in the quote, "History always repeats itself."

ViciousDS

Banned
They need to pull sakaguchi from the Terra series and have him produce VII:R because having Nomura reign free is never going to work. Ever since we hit HD era it has been absolutely terrible except for yoshi and FFXIV

FinalAres

They need to pull sakaguchi from the Terra series and have him produce VII:R because having Nomura reign free is never going to work. Ever since we hit HD era it has been absolutely terrible except for yoshi and FFXIV
I was gonna be snarky and say, "what could possibly be better than having a man with literally zero experience managing large scale projects take on the most important series Square Enix owns", but actually that's what happened with Yoshi P.

GunBR

Yeah, it's a huge "coincidence" that every Final Fantasy had huge production problems since Sakaguchi leave

Beside that, since FF X SE also lost an amazing director (Kitase) and got an okayish (?) producer (Kitase)

Haunted

Welcome to hell. Development hell. I can't believe this is happening again with yet another high-profile SE game. They have learned nothing.

Actually I can but you know what I mean.

Welcome to hell. Development hell. I can't believe this is happening again with yet another high-profile SE game. They have learned nothing.

Actually I can but you know what I mean.

What is the lesson to be learned here exactly? Never outsource video games ever? Ok, so Dragon Quest 11 and Nier Automata were both mistakes?

_Ryo_

They're most likely trying to find a way to cram multiplayer into the game at launch, and thus sell a shitload of microtransactions and lootcrates. I wouldnt be surprised if at least one of the episodes was multiplayer only.

CHC

What is the lesson to be learned here exactly? Never outsource video games ever?

Like Haunted said, one lesson is definitely not to announce games early.

Another - which goes for literally any endeavor - is to lay a solid foundation before building upon it. Time and time again Square makes this mistake. Like, no one could even get a straight answer on how the episodes would be broken up, if the game was real time or turn based, etc. These are things that should be set in stone before you start on a game in earnest, let alone show it to the public. Starting a game, then showing little glimpses and making major changes based on "fan feedback" is a recipe for a rushed and watered down project.

Nothing to do with outsourcing really. Nier Automata and Dragon Quest 11 both follow the rule above - they are confident games that clearly have some sense of developmental direction.

I wonder if Square Enix would ever go the Konami route with Nomura. Guy has some serious time management (and I'm assuming budget) problems with his games.

Somehow others developers are capable of not delivering turds after 5 years of dev time.

Oh yeah, there's definitely no disputing that. But seeing as SE can't seem to and I really like their games, I'll take the wait over the alternative.

Ideally they'd fix what have to be crippling developmental processes and deliver gems in a more reasonable timeframe, but at this point that seems like a when pigs fly proposition.

Or you'll get a ten year turd still

Nomura hasn't produced a game I haven't liked yet, so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me until then.

FinalAres

Which 5 or 10 year turds have SE released?

FFXV wasn't up to standard because it was rushed out in 4 years (okay to be fair that's a long time, but the first year had a director change).

FFXIV was total rubbish because, among other problems, they rushed that out in 2 years.

They need to take more time, not less. But they need to announce later.

Arkeband

Banned
Which 5 or 10 year turds have SE released?

FFXV wasn't up to standard because it was rushed out in 3 years.

FFXIV was total rubbish because, among other problems, they rushed that out in 2 years.

They need to take more time, not less. But they need to announce later.

Both FFXV and FFXIV had a lot of core design decisions that simply don't work. FFXIV's labyrinthine world map and leveling restrictions had nothing to do with development time, they were part of the intended design. FFXV hiding an enormous platforming dungeon in a secret location post-game that puts the other dungeons to shame is also a terrible waste of assets and time management. It had nothing to do with development time (and don't forget that FFXV pushed back its release date).

The more I hear about the remake the more I think it's going to just plain old suck. It won't recapture the magic and they won't bring back what made it good.

I could be wrong though, although Square has let me down a lot in the last while.

Both FFXV and FFXIV had a lot of core design decisions that simply don't work. FFXIV's labyrinthine world map and leveling restrictions had nothing to do with development time, they were part of the intended design. FFXV hiding an enormous platforming dungeon in a secret location post-game that puts the other dungeons to shame is also a terrible waste of assets and time management. It had nothing to do with development time (and don't forget that FFXV pushed back its release date).
The secret dungeon was made by one single guy. Not a waste of assets or time management at all.

Nomura hasn't produced a game I haven't liked yet, so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me until then.
That hinges on the assumption that Nomura will still be around directing and 'releasing' games :p

iMerc

is it just me or did they announce this game waaaaaaay too early.
even by Square Enix standards where they announce games a century before their release, this was way way waaaay too early.

seriously guys, lets just say that only now in history, we all just finished cleaning up after the spread of the black plague.
well, FFVII remake isn't coming out until after the americans declare independence from the british.
that's how long this wait is going to be.

Well if it releases on PS5 then I feel sorry for people who bought a PS4 just for this game.

It's like when I knew some people who bought a PS3 for Versus and the FFVII Promotional Video cause it obviously was a sneak peak for a game.

Kanann

What comes out first Cyber Punk 2077 or Final Fantasy VII Remake?

If Cyberpunk is 2020 then, yes, Cyberpunk 1st.

I was gonna be snarky and say, "what could possibly be better than having a man with literally zero experience managing large scale projects take on the most important series Square Enix owns", but actually that's what happened with Yoshi P.

DQ battle road and DQX are pretty big tho.

Bennettt2

this game needs to be 2019/2020 release. anything before that and we may just get a huge game that feels rushed all the way through and an OST ripped straight from Distant Worlds concerts. Anything later feels like they're either going overkill or they went back to the drawing board somewhere during development - not a good sign.

That hinges on the assumption that Nomura will still be around directing and 'releasing' games :p

If he isn't it'll be just one more terrible decision in a string of terrible decisions SE has made.

Though it would be convenient to be able to scratch FF off of the list of franchises I follow religiously, if sad.

timberger

I can recall being pretty optimistic about FFVIIR when CC2 were handling it, but now... now I honestly believe it'll never come out.

Well if it releases on PS5 then I feel sorry for people who bought a PS4 just for this game.

No one is going to buy a games console for one single game, especially not one that was only announced as releasing first on that console rather than actually being exclusive to it.

Top Bottom