• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII turns 17 years old today

I mean 18.. please fix the title.

Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

One of the greatest games of all time came out in this day January 31,1997.

18f9fe7560_final-fantasy-7-dynamic-backgrounds-gifs-3.gif

18f9fe7560_final-fantasy-7-dynamic-backgrounds-gifs-2.gif

18f9fe7560_final-fantasy-7-dynamic-backgrounds-gifs-6.gif

ade11e5b15_final-fantasy-7-dynamic-backgrounds-gifs-1.gif

ade11e5b15_final-fantasy-7-dynamic-backgrounds-gifs-4.gif

ade11e5b15_final-fantasy-7-dynamic-backgrounds-gifs-5.gif

ade11e5b15_final-fantasy-7-dynamic-backgrounds-gifs-10.gif

18f9fe7560_final-fantasy-7-dynamic-backgrounds-gifs-7.gif

458b0bb33c_final-fantasy-7-dynamic-backgrounds-gifs-9.gif

458b0bb33c_final-fantasy-7-dynamic-backgrounds-gifs-8.gif

ku-xlarge.gif

original.gif

A9VnaRA.gif

You are still pretty baby... you are still charming <3

Take a look at more of beautiful Gifs here: Click On Me!

This masterpiece is truly a.. praise worthy ;-) !

nib95

Banned
My favourite game of all time. Whilst I really do want a remake, I'm not confident they'd do it justice.

Valnen

If they do a remake, I will finally play this game.

Get the PS4 version and then appreciate the remake if it ever comes.

Hmm, in 3 years, Square should have a lot more resources available for new projects. By then FFXV should at least be out.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
An I've played it every year since often multiple times!

SE's "20 year plan" for the series still gots alil more ta go. Hoping for another (better) movie or a (non-mobile) game!

harmonize

I hate to make you all feel older, but its actually 18 years old today.

1/31/1997 - 1/31/2015

edit: oh already fixed it in the op

yeah, 1/31/97 was a memorable day.

FFVII launches in Japan.
Star Wars: A New Hope Special Edition opened in US theaters.

I remember how fucking jealous I was of Japanese gamers having VII in their hands.
It would be a loooooooooooooong 7+ month wait. :(

DSix

Banned
Tried a bit of the PC version recently. God this port is lazy as fuck.

They could have doctored the background pictures (like reREmake) so it would be nicer, and they could have changed the chibi models to better looking chibi models easy. Here, easy remake that would calm all complains.

It wont stop me from replaying for the 100th time, but man, you wouldn't need a full next-gen remake to enhance it tenfold for new generations.

By far one of my favorite games. Not only did it help popularize JRPGs in the west in the late 90's, but it also raised the bar of cinematic presentation in video games.

Zukuu

Banned
God I love pre-rendered back grounds. Shame that they aren't doing that anymore.
Also, a big shame that we don't get such a diverse cast anymore.
Music was godlike too. Prefer the MIDI versions of most songs tho.

Dez_

Love this game! Love those pre-rendered backgrounds! My third rpg that I ever played, I remember playing the beginning part over and over because I had no memory card. Got pretty fast at clearing the prologue.

Trago

Man, I could never fully enjoy this game as much as sooooo many people within my age group. This game was spoiled to hell and back for me, so when I got around to playing it, I knew what was gonna happen already. Despite all of this, I like this game, it's not as earth shattering as many would claim. I personally really dislike Cloud as a main character, but I like some of the supporting characters.

Cream

Banned
Get the PS4 version and then appreciate the remake if it ever comes.

Hmm, in 3 years, Square should have a lot more resources available for new projects. By then FFXV should at least be out.

I don't know if I can. The game is just too ugly to me

ragon

It's been 18 years then...
I still remember when i played this game from 5 years as first classic rpg game on my life .
It was really great experience.

Trago

Also, I wonder what's the deal with this game being a ton of peoples first RPG. Must'a been the the way Square advertised it or something.

I was 14 when it came out in the states and all my friends and I were so hype after playing that Tobal No.1 demo dozens of times. Great gaming memory to start high school with. :)

entremet

I think I played this game more than any at that time. I had a perfect file basically.

I found it hard to replay, though. I never get out of Midgar.

wmlk

Played it just a few years ago. Well worth the hype.

Midgar was fantastic, and opening up to the World Map was something else. Right after that at Kalm you hear Sephiroth's origin story.

So good.

I still remember being blown away when I first saw screenshots of FFVII in gaming magazines. Say what you want about the character models, those backgrounds look great. I only wish they weren't so hard to navigate through.

Falk

that puzzling face
holy shit your avatar looks almost exactly like the cover art

what are the chances of that happening

Nocturn

Neo Member
Ah the memories. I remember the first time I played this I was really young and always made a copy of my brother's save file on my memory card and used to point out to him that I am better since I am further ahead. Obviously with one look he knew I was a liar lol. Great game! Knights of the Round was epic as hell too.

Riposte

You know the place before this? With the crane? I got stuck on that part for two weeks (which included two additional replays to that part). Even though all you had to do was walk up a board. For some reason, that didn't work and so I became obsessed with the crane (and I was oddly justified by the fact that as a solution to a puzzle had been cut out). My most shameful gaming moment. I was in elementary school at the time, so whatever. The day I solved this "problem", which was my birthday, my best friend bought me a strategy guide for the game (not that it would have helped me), an amazing friend in retrospect.

Top Bottom