• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII turns 17 years old today

Post the tracks from the game that hit you hard with that nostalgic feeling.

This is my one right here. Gets me every time I think of FF:VII, it always sticks with you.

BriGuy

I was confused until I remembered there used to be a substantial wait time between when a game was released in Japan and when it was localized. I think it was September of that year before I got around to finally getting my hands on it. I must have played the demo that came with Tobal No.1 a hundred times during that wait. I had never been that hyped for a game before or since.

ZeroFate

I spent I think 2 hours total in that area. I was pretty overleveled when I finally figured out how to get out.

This motherfucker

Sector-5-Slums-Map.jpg

GAAAH! This got 12 year old me for like a week. The RAGE I felt when I discovered I only had to go up that plank.

The opening scene.... even before you play the game you are given the briefest taste of what to expect. Then you go through the bombing missions and Midgar and the game already felt huge... then you make it outside and a sprawling world lies in front of you with every town and dungeon getting the same attention and care as Midgar.

Jarnet87

I can't wait for SE to troll with on its 20th anniversary with a big announcement of a:

Cologne, or another port, or some awful mobile mini game.

I still think VII is a close to flawless game. I can see why some people like to pick it at after all these years but those problems don't bother me. Can still return to a new start of the game and play through like it was 1997.

DeSo

Banned
You know the place before this? With the crane? I got stuck on that part for two weeks (which included two additional replays to that part). Even though all you had to do was walk up a board. For some reason, that didn't work and so I became obsessed with the crane (and I was oddly justified by the fact that as a solution to a puzzle had been cut out). My most shameful gaming moment. I was in elementary school at the time, so whatever. The day I solved this "problem", which was my birthday, my best friend bought me a strategy guide for the game (not that it would have helped me), an amazing friend in retrospect.
YEP.

This fucking place fucked me for some time too. That stupid board looked so out of place. Also I've seen a guy get stuck on it for a good half an hour on a twitch stream. Don't feel too bad, haha.

Aahh, This game would come close to my favourite game of all time. Just an amazing experience.

And the best, most eerie song in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRAkpXTmCs

Just gives me chills to this day. Such an underrated track.

KZObsessed

I remember years after originally playing the game, I discovered secret scenes with Zack at the Nibelheim mansion. Hell, I'm still discovering things about the game I didn't know like awesome materia combos I never thought of as a kid.

Incredible game.

DeSo

Banned
And I love the story in this game. Complete mindfuck. It's so fuckin' strange with Jenova and the Ancients and Sephiroth...

The fact that you're actually chasing Jenova most of the game, albeit at the command of Sephiroth... and that scene where Cloud tosses Sephiroth into the lifestream... so badass.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The fact that you're actually chasing Jenova most of the game, albeit at the command of Sephiroth... and that scene where Cloud tosses Sephiroth into the lifestream... so badass.

In the original script, the cloaked Sephiroth clones were floating Jenova pieces hidden by cloaks that you would fight.

Jarnet87

God I miss pre-rendered backgrounds :(

Almost 20 years later, I still find this art style more appealing than the "realistic" art directions SE (and the industry as a whole) have turned towards.

yeah I liked pre-rendered backgrounds too. I don't need a fully interactive 3D city or w/e in my JRPGs. are pre-rendered backgrounds more costly/time consuming then doing it the other way?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
yeah I liked pre-rendered backgrounds too. I don't need a fully interactive 3D city or w/e in my JRPGs. are pre-rendered backgrounds more costly/time consuming then doing it the other way?

I'm sure someone knows better than me, but pre-rendered backgrounds are a way to have a higher fidelity than what would be possible in real time. If you look at the fidelity thats possible in real time graphics today, you can imagine how much work would go into creating an even more detailed pre-rendered background.

Also I guess there is the problem with static angles so you would have to create more of these high-quality backgrounds for the same scene if you wanted some different perspectives.

I think it still fits some genres but in general no, sadly.

Flappy

Banned
This was my first ever JRPG. It was a great time to be a gamer. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

God I miss pre-rendered backgrounds :(

Almost 20 years later, I still find this art style more appealing than the "realistic" art directions SE (and the industry as a whole) have turned towards.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Pre-rendered environments really bring out the personality in a location, whether it's a town or a dungeon or whatever, because there's so much artistic flair involved. Way more captivating than running around in a big open field.

Miche

Neo Member
Ha! Just last night my total at Target was $7.77, and I made a comment about the lucky 7 trick. Of course the person behind the register didn't understand, but I'm happy that it happened on FF7's bday!

Yudoken

Wait, Street Fighter have some kind of cooperation with Square Enix.
FF7 character in Street Fighter V.... Maybe?
If yes, which would fit in the best?
I would say Tifa!

openrob

You know the place before this? With the crane? I got stuck on that part for two weeks (which included two additional replays to that part). Even though all you had to do was walk up a board. For some reason, that didn't work and so I became obsessed with the crane (and I was oddly justified by the fact that as a solution to a puzzle had been cut out). My most shameful gaming moment. I was in elementary school at the time, so whatever. The day I solved this "problem", which was my birthday, my best friend bought me a strategy guide for the game (not that it would have helped me), an amazing friend in retrospect.

My brother!!!

Basically it was luck that allowed me to progress!
I was stuck for a good few days. It wasn't until I was reading a magazine in WHSmiths that had some sort of FF7 review and had this screenshot printed in that I was aware about what to do.
1362803244-170-o.png

What are the chances that it would show me exactly what I was supposed to do! I previously thought that plank was a pole sticking up vertically in the ground.

mtodavk

First RPG I ever played, and it was a mindblowing experience. So incredible that it shaped my gaming interests for the next 6-7 years of my life.

Although FF9 has become my favorite over time, this game will always be special to me.

My favourite game of all time. Whilst I really do want a remake, I'm not confident they'd do it justice.

Exactly the same pal. I'd love a Resi Remake-style effort, but this being Square Enix I wouldn't trust them to do it properly. At least we'll always have the original game; they can't ruin that.

Post the tracks from the game that hit you hard with that nostalgic feeling.

This is my one right here. Gets me every time I think of FF:VII, it always sticks with you.

I honestly don't think I could chose just one because IMO it's the best soundtrack ever by some distance, and I adore dozens of the tracks. I've read that Uematsu composed 80-something different songs for the game, and probably a couple of dozen I consider stone cold classics.

Edit - although I do adore Cid's Theme. When I hear it it makes me feel proud and brave and a little bit sad. I think because I associate it with them all piloting the rocket and giving their lives to destroy Meteor.

Final Fantasy VII - Cid's Theme [HQ]: http://youtu.be/SJzfOA9uV6E

Rubik8

The last JRPG that I played all the way through. And I had to force myself to finish it. I lost my interest in them almost entirely after FFVII.

I had no idea, started replaying it this week and finally finished it for the first time today only to come on GAF and see this thread. Happy birthday FF7!

Your thoughts please !

Well i'm usually not a huge RPG fan but a few have grabbed me such as Xenoblade and Skies of Arcadia and now of course Final Fantasy 7. I played it years back but didn't even get passed the first disc...this time I pretty much played the whole thing non stop. There were a few issues such as occasionally poorly designed backgrounds, slow animations and a big difficulty spike for about 3 bosses but I really can't flaw anything else. There was never a moment when I wasn't having fun and when I conquered the difficult bosses after dying numerous times I felt an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment. I'm not sure it's one of my favourite games of all time but it sure is one of the most memorable.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That area confused me, as well. Where I really got lost was the train graveyard. I forget where exactly, but there was a car or ladder that wasn't obvious to the eye and I was stuck there for days.

That area confused me, as well. Where I really got lost was the train graveyard. I forget where exactly, but there was a car or ladder that wasn't obvious to the eye and I was stuck there for days.

Me to.

First I got stuck on the walk to that park for like a day. Then I had problems figuring out what to do in Wall Market (I was eleven and English is not my first language) and then I was stuck in the Train Graveyard for like a week. The rest of the game was a breeze in comparison.

Good times.

Top Bottom