• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII turns 17 years old today

antitrop

You know the place before this? With the crane? I got stuck on that part for two weeks (which included two additional replays to that part). Even though all you had to do was walk up a board. For some reason, that didn't work and so I became obsessed with the crane (and I was oddly justified by the fact that as a solution to a puzzle had been cut out). My most shameful gaming moment. I was in elementary school at the time, so whatever. The day I solved this "problem", which was my birthday, my best friend bought me a strategy guide for the game (not that it would have helped me), an amazing friend in retrospect.

I spent I think 2 hours total in that area. I was pretty overleveled when I finally figured out how to get out.

This motherfucker

Sector-5-Slums-Map.jpg

coastel

I spent I think 2 hours total in that area. I was pretty overleveled when I finally figured out how to get out.

This motherfucker

Sector-5-Slums-Map.jpg

Lol same with me also that part with the fucking stairs where you go in and out of the caves to catch someone. That took a lot of time and tantrums to.

Riposte

Good to see it wasn't just me, but until someone admits to spending two weeks on it, I won't feel better.

FourMyle

I still have yet to play this game. A long time ago I went online and read the through the FF wiki entry of this game's plot and so I have little desire to actually play it.

Still one of my favorite games of all time. I've played through it at least 10 times since Japanese release. I have still yet to ever bother doing the RTS mini game or beating any of the 2 super bosses. Or get the "chocobuckle" whatever the heck that is. Some day.

Oh yeah, and playing it in pstv with my dualshock 4 with analog controls mapped is so comfy. Don't ever want to walk around the field with the d pad again.

The first version of the game I ever purchased was the PC version:

ecce6f2c1cb7e1ca11f893a5e2335a7f.jpg

And to be honest, I could not get this to run at all on my Windows 98se. Celeron 566MHz, GeForce 256 PC of 1999. So it ended up sitting in a closet for many years until one day I decided to sell it at a garage sale. I kinda wish I didn't.... but oh well.

I never played the PS1 version of the game out of spite, nor have I ever played the game beyond the first five minutes on my PC because the game looked like a mess. .

coastel

Did anyone else grind like a idiot on it. Just before the ending of disk 1 I had my 3 main characters to over level 85 grinding in one spot. Did that a few times on the first disk but mainly done the most at the end of disk one. Looking back at it I do think what was I doing I would spend an entire day running round the same spot, then saving on the world map every few levels just in case the electric in the house went off or the game crashed.

Ogawa-san

Going through the pictures I could almost hear the songs, and last time I've beaten it was over a decade ago. One of the reasons it's still the best goddamn JRPG of all time
that's not P4

daveo42

Banned
Still one of the best FF games, just can't believe it's that old.

This motherfucker

Sector-5-Slums-Map.jpg

Yeah, I remember accidentally grinding enemies here just because I had issues finding my way out the first time I played it.

Aren't we supposed to celebrate 5, 10, 15, 20 etc years? Or are we celebrating 18 because the game is old enough to fuck now?

Miguel81

I remember it like it was yesterday. A 16 year old me purchasing this game and the first run of analog controllers on the same day. I was in the mall's food court looking at the case. Of course, the next day was the first day of school after summer vacation :(

Happy 18th FFVII, you'll remain a favorite of mine and close to my heart.

This game literally changed my life. I liked video games since before I can remember, but Final Fantasy VII was the first time I loved a video game.

batbeg

This motherfucker

Sector-5-Slums-Map.jpg

Man who doesn't remember this place as a hellhole of tedium? Those stupid house enemies are forever ingrained in my mind because of it. This picture doesn't even really show the crane which was always infuriated me because you could walk up a little bit and I'd keep thinking something was wrong. I'm almost positive when I came back to the game years later I got stuck here afuckinggain.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thank you for this thread.

17 years since the best game of all time was released.

Didn't play the game until around 2000 or so. I was still in primary school at the time though I remember that. I remember buying it second hand in GAME and being like "Holyshit, three discs? This game must be long." It's a very flawed game, sometimes I love it other times I utterly hate it. But that's what makes it so memorable.

ViciousDS

Banned
You know the place before this? With the crane? I got stuck on that part for two weeks (which included two additional replays to that part). Even though all you had to do was walk up a board. For some reason, that didn't work and so I became obsessed with the crane (and I was oddly justified by the fact that as a solution to a puzzle had been cut out). My most shameful gaming moment. I was in elementary school at the time, so whatever. The day I solved this "problem", which was my birthday, my best friend bought me a strategy guide for the game (not that it would have helped me), an amazing friend in retrospect.

holy shit, my buddy had that issue....the layering for that graphic was off and it looked like it was raised. My buddy said he didn't touch the game for weeks because he couldn't get past that part. Went over to his house and was running around a bit and just said fuck it, and started walking up the metal rail........his eyes got so big and a huge wtf was all over his face hahaha.

and there it is

This motherfucker

Sector-5-Slums-Map.jpg

It just doesn't get any better than Final Fantasy VII baby, it just doesn't. But I'll keep on truckin' along nevertheless, playing game upon game in the vain hope that eventually something will surpass it.

RangerX

Banned
Happy birthday! First FF I ever played. I'm glad to say I was there when it came out. The hype was real. Everyone and their dog was talking about the game. It was just one of those amazing times in gaming. The game itself exceeded all expectations. It was and still is a masterpiece.

Wow. When I first played it, it was only 13 years old. Despite arriving LTTP it'll soon even become a nostalgic game from my perspective. The game is now as old as I was when I first played it on my PSP, tucked in bed, on that February night.

This motherfucker

Sector-5-Slums-Map.jpg

Yup. I don't even think I figured it out, I ended up using Youtube. If I only I knew about select.

nemisis0

Can't wait to play it again on PS4.

Same, I only ever finished it once on the PS1 with a very long play time and managed to do everything in it at a young age, fast forward 18 years and i am 23 so it should be great to go through everything again, here's hoping 8 gets the same treatment.

Koh

I think i got stuck in the same area. Couldn't get up the ramp for some reason and spent days fighting those robot houses. I think the problem was the angle of approach because i eventually got through!

edit: got excited that someone else got stuck in the same spot and didn't read past it. Reading the thread i find i was in good company!

Gandalf

This is the game that changed everything for me. It blew my mind as a 10 year old kid. And I still complete it at least once a year now.
Those 17 years have flown by.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dat entire flashback revelation scene with dat main-theme music

Game will go down in history as one of the most influential one's ever.

Top Bottom