• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

Look, I'm not saying XV will be a masterpiece, but if you sit down and look through what's in for the game's plot, you should know that it has a much, much more grounded story than most Final Fantasy, or even JRPG in general, which often relies on God-like elements or other bizzare fantastical plot elements like time travelling or amnesia as central focus of the game. It's crucial to note that what FFXV is aiming for in its story is different than the likes of FFX or FFXIII, and it's more like XII, i.e. a more mature plot with political strife between opposing nations and war.

While Nojima almost definitely dropped his balls here, we should also realize he has a much better record when he's given a COMPLETELY new title to work on, such as the original FFVII, FFVIII, FFX and KH1. This is partly because you could start fresh and needn't tie all the plot, characters, setting together for one coherent, interesting universe, and there is no nostalgic factor working against you as the writer.

If I haven't make my point, let us not forget that FFXV's story department is also consisting of Jun Akiyama, who worked on FFVII, FFT, FFTA, FFT:WoTL, FFXII and Vagrant Story. Granted, he's said to handle the events, but you can't be so sure that he has zero say over the scenario. I'm willing to bet he's partially the Scenario Director as well, with modest control over the character dialogue lines and then some, just like he was for FFXII, Vagrant Story and likely KH1.

Who are you really trying to convince?

Feels bad, man.

KoopaTheCasual

Look, I'm not saying XV will be a masterpiece, but if you sit down and look through what's in for the game's plot, you should know that it has a much, much more grounded story than most Final Fantasy, or even JRPG in general, which often relies on God-like elements or other bizzare fantastical plot elements like time travelling or amnesia as central focus of the game. It's crucial to note that what FFXV is aiming for in its story is different than the likes of FFX or FFXIII, and it's more like XII, i.e. a more mature plot with political strife between opposing nations and war.
See, while I'm still optimistic about FFXV, here's the problem I see. Let's imagine for a second that XV is released , and it actually knocks it out of the park and reignites the FF fire of the past. It then magically becomes the best selling title since FF7...

All that Square Enix would see and say to this is, "Oh boy! We have another successful mainline to run completely into the ground with superfluous, shoehorned, convoluted additions!" It happened to FF7 (their original plan for the extended universe was obscene), it's happening to FFX, and with this trend, it will happen to any successful title in the future. This really just illustrates that current SE (continuing the trend) couldn't give a rat's ass about established lore, as long as there's a quick buck to be made.

):

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
FFX is my favorite game of all time, and I would love to have a FFX-3, or perhaps even a sequel.

2015 - FFXV
2016 - KH3
2017 - FFX-3

sound accurate?

FFX-3 probably won't be a console game.

Dark_castle

See, while I'm still optimistic about FFXV, here's the problem I see. Let's imagine for a second that XV is released , and it actually knocks it out of the park and reignites the FF fire of the past. It then magically becomes the best selling title since FF7...

All that Square Enix would see and say to this is, "Oh boy! We have another successful mainline to run completely into the ground with superfluous, shoehorned, convoluted additions!" It happened to FF7 (their original plan for the extended universe was obscene), it's happening to FFX, and with this trend, it will happen to any successful title in the future. This really just illustrates that current SE (continuing the trend) couldn't give a rat's ass about established lore, as long as there's a quick buck to be made.

):

Good point and there is definitely a chance of that happening. But I would pretend the company is dead after XV, KH3 and Type-0 is released.

kiri

For me, the Perfect ending to X-2 was enough.
Tidus was back with Yuna and she had her newfound courage, leading him towards the future
. Why spoil it all with extraneous drama?? It dilutes all that came before it.

):

I think XV-2 is pretty much guaranteed at this point. Look at how long the game has been in development now. XV doesn't even need to get a great reception, it could be mixed like XIII's, and they'll want to recoup costs by re-using assets again.

BBboy20

An instrumental version of Bastard would probably go pretty well with this thread.

Guess I better cling on to whatever there is in X if you guys reaction to the future of X is in dire straights.

Kalnos

Banned

The characters in XV already have a ton of the animu ridiculousness (sword telepathy, teleporting, predicting death, etc, etc) that you won't find in XII. I dunno, having doubts you will be able to compare the game to FFXII.

Nerokis

For me, the Perfect ending to X-2 was enough.
Tidus was back with Yuna and she had her newfound courage, leading him towards the future
. Why spoil it all with extraneous drama?? It dilutes all that came before it.

That's how I felt about X-2 back in the day. X was a fully realized and self-contained experience, and had a perfectly fine ending. X-2 was a sequel/spin-off hybrid, had a jarring tonal shift, and was essentially (by Final Fantasy standards) a budget game. That's exactly a recipe for "diluting all that came before it," and thus why I originally refused to play it. I recall that sentiment being widely shared. A decade later, for many people (including me, and I haven't even played it!) it's deeply ingrained into the X universe, and it's more widely appreciated for what it tried to do. Clearly, "dilution" over time can become something else.

Replicant

Now just add lighting and intensifies the link to FF7.Oh make it exclusive to IOS too.

Lightning was already on FFX tho. They just needed to replace that force of nature render with Her Holyness render.

Let's admit it, we all want to see her again:

j64kE0Z.jpg

Let's see those trophy hunters dodge Her Holyness x 1000.

Dark_castle

The characters in XV already have a ton of the animu ridiculousness (sword telepathy, teleporting, predicting death, etc, etc) that you won't find in XII. I dunno, having doubts you will be able to compare the game to FFXII.

I don't get why you need to bring in gameplay element as your example. FFXII also has some of the most outrageous quickenings in the franchise. FFXII also had Occuria.

My point is, the story structure of XV is at least more similar to XII,with strong focus on Crystal, war and political clash. I don't mean the two games would be completely similar to one another, it's just the fundamental story ideas that are reminiscent between the two.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They're fighting over crystals.

For all we know it's little more than a IV-style plot with ultra dramatics laid over top. Let's not get all "political intregue" until we know better.

saher

Banned
Looks like nomura is back to the FFVIII /parasite eve art style , his works in the last 10 years are very influenced by KH.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well, those redesigns are really, really cool.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
-says who? your speculation?
-when did i imply it was?

Your timeline seems to indicate so (given that you ordered the games in a way console games would have been released given SE's speed and standards. Maybe I jumped too quickly.

It's my speculation and some of others' as well. Given that the game would be set in Spira again and that they've recently upres and remastered the games with new textures, it would seem normal for SE to reuse them (and add on new areas and modifications) rather than to make a game for the PS4 or X1. In any case, even if it's for a console, it might even be for the PS3.

Who knows, maybe X-3 will come out before XV lol.

MormaPope

Banned
I've come to terms with FFX-3 being a mobile game. Maybe if it does well enough it'll get released as a free to play/pay to win game on every possible platform.

Dark_castle

Why do you guys think this will be a mobile game?

Because Square wants to target the mobile platforms. FFI to FFVI are now all available in iOS, along with DQVIII, along with other games like CT, TWEWY spin-off, KH spin-off and upcoming Agito.

Square wants to develop more titles that has comparable depth and complexity of a standard console game on the mobile platforms.

Son Of D

X-3 will probably be a PS3 game, just so they can the release the Final Fantasy X trilogy collection with an exclusive storybook video detailing the Jecht, Braska and Auron pilgrimage where they introduce seven new characters including the mother of Auron's daughter as well as retconning the fact that Kimahri found Auron's body at Gagazet as it's now an original character who just disappears and is never seen in the X trilogy outside of this storybook.

Ah, Masato Kato, another writer people hail as being a great... who was responsible for the lackluster Sands of Destruction and the recent Ninja Gaiden 3. I'm am convinced that the reason why Chrono Trigger was great, as well as FFVII, was because they were "team efforts". When you have a team of writers with their ideas, it seems like they keep each other in check. You give one free range, and the go power hungry and fuck everything up.

Sands of Destruction was heavily censored by the executives though, which is why the tone of the game is so silly compared to the original premise.

Soriku

X-3 on mobile doesn't make sense to me when X and X-2 are on traditional gaming systems. If they want to follow up the story it'd make sense to make it for PS3/Vita if not PS4, especially when the remaster is on PS3/Vita.

Top Bottom