• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster coming to PS4 on May 12 (NA)

Falk

that puzzling face
Given that it's cross save, if i already have the platinum trophy on the PS3 version i won't be able to get this one ?

4V3d7Ct.png

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy-xx-2-coming-ps4-15th-may-exclusive-steelbook

Edit: Just noticed I'm no longer a junior :p

This needs to be added to OP

I heard this is one of the best final fantasies? As someone who has a very bad taste for final fantasy games after 13 (it was the only one I played) should I have this game on my radar?

As far as Final Fantasies go, X shares some similarities to XIII in its structure and aesthetic, but is a lot more approachable without 75% of its lore hidden in datalogs. Combat is 100% turn-based so that's pretty different.

If you want a different taste out of the FF chocolate box, you should go for 7 (assuming you're on PS4 since you're posting in this thread specifically)

LesPaul

I played it back on the PS2 and enjoyed. I never finished it though...I was to young and got stuck at a boss-battle. Now is finally my chance to finish it.

DroidDev

Neo Member
I heard this is one of the best final fantasies? As someone who has a very bad taste for final fantasy games after 13 (it was the only one I played) should I have this game on my radar?

Depends, what did you dislike about Final Fantasy XIII? Both games are pretty linear and story-driven. Though, I hated XIII, while I really enjoyed X.

Thoraxes

There's no real definitive answer on which ones are the best as indicated by the infinite amounts of ranking lists that plague the internet.

However, VI, VII, and X tend to be the more popular titles in terms of fan popularity.

I know a lot of people that hate X as much as I know people that think it's the best game ever.

It's a largely linear game with some poor pace-breaking sections and poorly designed puzzles, but has a fun battle system (albeit a little slow), a good world concept, and generally likeable characters. Also a great OST. It's basically a proto FFXIII Pre streamlining.

You can do a lot worse with your money.

Holy shit how did I miss this! I knew it was a rumor but fuck yes. Final Fantasy X was the first Rpg I ever beat and I'd love to play it again.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

In my opinion, FF13 and FFX could not be anywhere much further apart in terms of quality. I even made a thread about it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=989636&highlight=

I would definitely recommend FFX. 13 doesn't represent the turn based nature of the franchise, or even how you run from point A to point B to story sections.

Of course FFX is not perfect. It has some really annoying puzzle points(HOW THE FUCK WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO THE BEVELLE AND ZANARKAND CLOISTER OF TRIALS ON MY OWN!?)

But if watch a run through on youtube, you'll get passed them eventually.

There's a meaningless sporting event in there too which i never for the life of me ever figured out, so i just mashed buttons the one mandatory time they made you do it(i always loose)

Also, some of the voice performances are pretty cheesy and stilted(although thats somewhat down to having to time the japanese mouth flaps), and its obviously an old game so some things will be slightly janky. But besides that, it holds up well IMO

RuGalz

I'm sick of rebuying games. PS5 better just stick to the same architecture and fully backwards compatible. Maybe I will triple dip then.

Falk

that puzzling face
There's a PC version of FFX Remaster?

No, but that addresses the issue of nonstop remasters every generation.

I didn't mean it in the "PC master race" way. There's plenty of games that are never going to hit the platform, same as there are plenty of games that are never going to hit XB or Wii or portables or whatever. But matter of the fact is, backwards compatibility and being an open platform has always been two hallmarks of PC. If I wanted to boot up Diablo 2 for a weekend binge, I could. If I wanted to play a few rounds of CoD4 on LAN just for old times sake, I could. And with Steam consoles actually finally officially coming this year, it's as good a time as any to take a look, if nothing else.

Remasters on consoles aren't ever going to go away as long as there are people willing to continually buy them. (And believe me, there are)

edit: and as I post this I'm realizing the absurdity of what I'm trying to say in the light of the existence of Homeworld Remaster hahahahahah.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Personally both X and XIII are not the ones I want people to play if they are to understand why I am a diehard fan of this series.

Doesn't mean X is bad. It's good. But it's a linear shonen anime... As long as you know that there is far more to this series than X, I don't mind saying it's worth playing...

My votes go to FF VI-VIII and XII for the best entries to play. But yes, they have aged.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Personally both X and XIII are not the ones I want people to play if they are to understand why I am a diehard fan of this series.

Doesn't mean X is bad. It's good. But it's a linear shonen anime... As long as you know that there is far more to this series than X, I don't mind saying it's worth playing...

My votes go to FF VI-VIII and XII for the best entries to play. But yes, they have aged.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend VIII and XII for entry fans. Maybe VII.

VIII has a weird system that's very divisive and well XII... It's not a bad game but it's a JRPG trying to be an MMO and ended up becoming overwhelming IMO.

If I were to recommend what are decent FF entries: IV, VI, VII, IX, X.

Mivey

that should have been slated for the next week or two following Square's supposed schedule. i figure they are delaying in to make sure the port is more solid than OG and -2
Probably they just forgot they were working on it. Wouldn't surprise me from all the care and love they put into the ports. Like, the one guy who was probably working it called in sick or something.

Falk

that puzzling face
The "newcomer games" have always been VI, VII and X depending on how retro said newcomer is willing to get.

I don't think there's really been many strong debates over that. They're popular for a few reasons, accessibility being a big one.

Probably they just forgot they were working on it. Wouldn't surprise me from all the care and love they put into the ports. Like, the one guy who was probably working it called in sick or something.

dam

iosefe

ooooh

i hope it becomes a good port though.

BocoDragon

The "newcomer games" have always been VI, VII and X depending on how retro said newcomer is willing to get.

I don't think there's really been many strong debates over that. They're popular for a few reasons, accessibility being a big one.

I can co-sign on VI and VII.

I can also agree that X is accessible. And very playable in 2015 thanks to these up-ports. I have to admit that.

But I just find something distasteful about X being generally suggested as a person's entry to the series - unless they are that kind of person who you know would love a shounen anime. Anime fans please apply... but I have caveats.

I don't like people thinking the whole appeal of FF is that it's interactive shounen anime like Dragonball or the Pokemon TV show... I think FF has an appeal to people beyond that. But FFX is thematically like a lot of kids anime shows. Which is fine.. but I always want to coach newcomers that FF often has appeal beyond this.

Some FFs have serious political intrigue (ie. the Ivalice games). Some are whimsical fantasy films like 80s Ghibli movies like Laputa: Castle in the Sky (certainly anime, but not the tropey kind... examples include FFI-V + IX). Some are these moody artistic works that I think cannot be pigeonholed in any genre: VI and VII has a story appeal that is not derived from common Japanese entertainment trends. While informed by Japanese manga/anime culture, I think they stand completely on their own as original works.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend VIII and XII for entry fans. Maybe VII.

VIII has a weird system that's very divisive and well XII... It's not a bad game but it's a JRPG trying to be an MMO and ended up becoming overwhelming IMO.

If I were to recommend what are decent FF entries: IV, VI, VII, IX, X.

Your list is pretty solid. Though my screed against casually suggesting FFX above applies ;)

Falk

that puzzling face
When your list approaches half the number of (non-MMO) mainline numbered entries you might as well start recommending games to avoid instead.

Keep it to 2. Maybe 3. :(

BocoDragon

When your list approaches half the number of (non-MMO) mainline numbered entries you might as well start recommending games to avoid instead.

Good point.

When it comes to list of games to avoid, though, I'd actually say "none of them". Because if you're actually considering the whole spectrum of FF games, I wouldn't dare suggest you avoid any of them. Yes, you should play XIII if you're also going to play all the rest of them. XIII is rewarding even though it is very flawed, and taken in context with other FFs I think it's worth experiencing.

My solid 2-3 list is VI, VII and XII. I can agree with Ultros that XII is problematic because it's so different and obtuse compared to the more crowd-pleasing others... but if they were actually playing all three, yeah... that's the wildcard that I think suggests FF's potential for diversity. I would feel weird if that was their first FF... but I'd feel great if that was their third FF.

Reveirg

I am literally watching the FFIII credits on PSP while reading your post, lol.

I really enjoyed my 2nd playthrough of that game. Great job system and some of the strongest melodies of the series (Eternal Wind, Maiden of Water, dat Boss theme!)

But yeah, definitely the least accessible of the series, with 2. Those no-savepoints-dungeons and difficulty spikes are brutal.

BocoDragon

I really enjoyed my 2nd playthrough of that game. Great job system and some of the strongest melodies of the series (Eternal Wind, Maiden of Water, dat Boss theme!)

But yeah, definitely the least accessible of the series, with 2. Those no-savepoints-dungeons and difficulty spikes are brutal.

Oh interesting timing. I just fired up FFIII on PSP earlier tonight and was dabbling in it with fresh eyes - because I've been playing the Famicom original for the first time in the last month. I had this purism streak in me that wanted to play the original 8-bit version first, so it took until I got a Famicom flashcart (everdrive) in order to do that, since my Japanese is low. I own the original Famicom cart so I feel fully entitled to play the English translation on my Everdrive.

I would absolutely call it inaccessible, since it took me 20 years of being of FF fan before I really touched it! You either needed to be there 25 years ago, or have old man/oldschool gamer patience now in order to find the experience rewarding. But I'm THERE now and I'm having a blast ;)

I'm at the Tower of Owen now in the Famicom version. Having a great time.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm... still dreading my re-replaythrough of FFIII Steam. Got all cheevos except the all-chests one and the all-jobs-99 grind.

No idea which chest I missed on prior playthrough (there are missables). If I somehow fail again I'm probably just going to actually start hex-sniffing through the save game's chest flags to see if there's any pattern I can discern to narrow it down.

(holy derail batman)

BocoDragon

I'm... still dreading my re-replaythrough of FFIII Steam. Got all cheevos except the all-chests one and the all-jobs-99 grind.

No idea which chest I missed on prior playthrough (there are missables). If I somehow fail again I'm probably just going to actually start hex-sniffing through the save game's chest flags to see if there's any pattern I can discern to narrow it down.

(holy derail batman)

Can't wait for that FFIII HD remaster *_*

Reveirg

It's a shame S-E seems intent on avoiding real remakes of earlier FFs. We only ever got remakes of 3 and 4. The rest have been ports and remasters.

cripterion

Yeah, just keep milking fans. I was already pissed this wasn't a crossbuy for Vita/PS3 now they expect people to buy again for PS4?

Rosur

Think I've decided to pick this up when it drops to £15 ish. As brought the PS3 version on launch the PS4 version can wait till the summer.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I don't think FFI to FFIII are as accessible as the newer FFs (and remakes of some FFs) because their difficulty spike is pretty high, even the FFIII remake has difficulty spike. I'd recommend play FFI-FFIII if you've completed the other FFs.

Even if FFIV may seem hammy, the PSP version is pretty accessible due to the light difficulty (except towards the end of the game where it requires grinding) and autobattles. The story is simple enough to follow... Unlike FFXIII's.

To summarize my thoughts:

If you've played western RPGs and want to try the FF series: FFXII and FFIX are good entry points.
If you've never played RPGs and can adapt to the older graphics and no voiceovers: FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, and further down the line FFX
If you've never played RPGs and grew up with voice acting and better visuals but want something decently meaty: FFX
If you've never played RPGs, grew up with voice acting, top notch visuals, and you want something fast paced: FFXIII

Toki767

I guess there won't be a Square Enix store Collector's Edition for this like there was for the PS3 version right?

squall211

Although Final Fantasy is a very popular series, just about every mainline entry is polarizing. For every person who says FF X is one of their favorite games of all time (like me), you'll get someone who says it's trash. Replace "FF X" with any other Final Fantasy game and you'll get the same answers. The rare exception is FF VI, which practically gets universal praise from everyone who's played it.

Inuhanyou

Although Final Fantasy is a very popular series, just about every mainline entry is polarizing. For every person who says FF X is one of their favorite games of all time (like me), you'll get someone who says it's trash. Replace "FF X" with any other Final Fantasy game and you'll get the same answers. The rare exception is FF VI, which practically gets universal praise from everyone who's played it.

This is true outside of FF13(even more so its two sequels), which outside of initial positive reception, gets a lot more hate than love. Some of that undeserved, most of it fully so IMO. The same would be true about FF14 1.0, but since ARR came, it seems most people have conveniently buried that game in their brains

Inuhanyou

MS tried it with FFXIII 13 last gen on 360 and it still didn't do shit.

I think its unfair to say MS's moneyhat on Japanese devs last gen didn't do anything, it absolutely did destroy/disrupt the main revenue streams of a lot of those devs like Triace, who could never get back on top after doing Infinite Undiscovery and SO4, Tri Crescendo who faltered right afterward, and also Tales which basically made Baba swear off of ever doing that ever again

klee123

I think its unfair to say MS's moneyhat on Japanese devs last gen didn't do anything, it absolutely did destroy/disrupt the main revenue streams of a lot of those devs like Triace, who could never get back on top after doing Infinite Undiscovery and SO4, Tri Crescendo who faltered right afterward, and also Tales which basically made Baba swear off of ever doing that ever again

I meant as a benefit to MS.

I do absolutely agree that MS's moneyhatting multiple big name rpgs last gen almost destroyed the jrpg market last gen with Triace being the one hurt the most.

Even though SO4 was poorly received, it would have done much better numbers had it been a PS3 game.

On the other hand, at least Namco dodged a bullet since ToV was very well received and the belated year old PS3 port sold twice as much compared to the 360 ver.

Falk

that puzzling face
Same. I always want to finish it but i stop at the desert at beginning every time lol.

FF6 really was two games duct-taped together. The first half is a very classic Final Fantasy point-to-point experience. The second half was pretty much an open-world do-whatever-you-want JRPG akin to a short, stubby christmas tree (the main plot to get to Kefka) with lots of ornaments hung on it (all the sidequests to re-recruit everyone).

Top Bottom