• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - 2017 Spring Trailer

raven777

499a64318b6c3

KRJUf4n.jpg

I will miss those abs... :p

I'm gonna give this game another shot. I liked it ok when it came out, but didn't see what the big appeal was at the time. Story was eh/boring and I was already playing FFXI at the time which had a similar (yet better) battle system. Now that a lot of time has passed, maybe I'll enjoy it more. Definitely preferred FFX to this back then though. It's the only FF I haven't replayed ever.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
I've been out of the loop on this remaster. Is there an option in the NA version to play with japanese audio with subtitles? just curious, i dont mind the English VA is that's all that's available.

Famassu

In 2006, if you would have told me I'd be anticipating the release of Final Fantasy XII in 2017 I'd wonder what the heck happened, and probably go mad thinking I'd have to wait 11 years for the game. Weird state of the Final Fantasy games after XII for me. The only one I played was XIV and that was because of a beta, and it was the online Final Fantasy after FFXI so I had to at least try it. Maybe FFXV will get interesting to me when they reveal their online thing. Who knows, maybe Final Fantasy VIIr will turn out pretty ok and I'll end up waiting about 6-11 more years to finally play the complete edition. It would probably require a remake of the first episode or something to add it to a complete package so 11 might be close to the real number, all while having no hope for a new original FF.

This game is looking good. I hope there's some surprise hunts or something. That would be neat.
FFVII Remake is mostly being outsourced (IIRC only, like, 20% or something is SQEX own peeps, rest are from CC2 & others) and I've gotten the impression they might already be working on the "episodes" past Part 1 to some degree to keep the gap between releases at least somewhat bearable. So 11 years is just a stupidly pessimistic expectation, especially since even if they have some hardship getting the first part out, they can just reuse assets, gameplay mechanics & everything else possible they've done with the first part to get the rest out much, MUCH quicker once they've gotten to the point that they have one shippable product (much like FFXIII took forever but then they cranked out XIII-2 & Lightning Returns out relatively quickly).

Plus it won't necessarily affect the development of FFXVI too much other than probably keep people like Nomura & Kitase away from it. They should have enough internal resources to put work on FFXVI as well as other outsourcing partners that can work on FFXVI while Nomura & Co, CC2 and others work on the FFVII Remake.

I didn't really like the demo I played. The battle system didn't click for me in the short time I played. I might rent this to try to spend more time with it.

suzu

Specifically because he's a nobody designed to appeal to the check box teen hero archetype with nothing really beyond it.

Balthier would have been a fine main character along with Ashe.

Yeah, I would have preferred Ashe as the MC, with Balthier as second.

They pretty much depict it like that anyway in the game. Vaan just exists. I guess what I'm getting at is.. he could've been worse? lol

Randomizer

Absolutely incredible how well this game stands up. The VA is ridiculously good, one of of the only instances were I would choose dub over Japanese. It just fits the tone and setting so well.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I didn't really like the demo I played. The battle system didn't click for me in the short time I played. I might rent this to try to spend more time with it.
The thing is that the fun of this game is about setting up your gambits and exploring. I doubt a demo will really show that off. I remember feeling similarity "huh?" about demos for this in ~2005, but it turned out to be one of my favorite FFs of all time.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Love this game.
Day one purchase.

Hated this trailer. Nearly four minutes of completely unrelated quotes, without pause until the very end. What the hell was that?

Luigi87

So hyped for this release!

Also Balthier is the best Final Fantasy character.

Also
"The dead demand justice!"
Gabranth's speech during that whole scene, I friggin love it.

Squire

Banned
Love this game.
Day one purchase.

Hated this trailer. Nearly four minutes of completely unrelated quotes, without pause until the very end. What the hell was that?

Did you want a trailer or a just a full scene from the game? You got a pretty standard trailer showcasing the localization and dub which are absolutely selling points for this. There was gameplay too, so ???

BTW, this seens like an E3 trailer. Guess they're giving us this early so they can focus on their main game for the event.

KH Union X

BasilZero

So excited for this.

Bought the PS2 version day 1 and have the PS4 ver pre-ordered with the steelbook :)!

Gonna have fun playing this during the summer!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Did you want a trailer or a just a full scene from the game? You got a pretty standard trailer showcasing the localization and dub which are absolutely selling points for this. There was gameplay too, so ???

You can showcase the localization & dub without having 4 minutes of nonsense. So ???

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just watched the trailer. Lovely.

What's that bizzare trait I haven't seen in an FF in a long time...? Ah yes, "dignity". This is a noble game.

OMG wait a minute...is Final Fantasy 12 basically just A New Hope? That's how this trailer looks. Never played it.

It is very much like a fantasy version of ANH indeed.

IC5

FFVII Remake is mostly being outsourced (IIRC only, like, 20% or something is SQEX own peeps, rest are from CC2 & others) and I've gotten the impression they might already be working on the "episodes" past Part 1 to some degree to keep the gap between releases at least somewhat bearable. So 11 years is just a stupidly pessimistic expectation, especially since even if they have some hardship getting the first part out, they can just reuse assets, gameplay mechanics & everything else possible they've done with the first part to get the rest out much, MUCH quicker once they've gotten to the point that they have one shippable product (much like FFXIII took forever but then they cranked out XIII-2 & Lightning Returns out relatively quickly).

Plus it won't necessarily affect the development of FFXVI too much other than probably keep people like Nomura & Kitase away from it. They should have enough internal resources to put work on FFXVI as well as other outsourcing partners that can work on FFXVI while Nomura & Co, CC2 and others work on the FFVII Remake.
Keeping Tetsuya Nomura off mainline Final Fantasy for a while, is a good thing.

Anyone get the PS2 steelbook and remember the suuuuper dry, pointless, boring Final Fantasy tribute disc?

Remembering Kari voiced both Ashe and Aranea made me remember that Ashe and Noctis have a fuck ton of similarities.

Both being royal prince/princess who wants to reclaim there kingdom from the empire and avenge there father while adventuring with a snarky British man.

Also the development hell

They should really get them both in Dissidia and have them interact, so much potential
Spoilers for both FFXII and FFXV, but... both Ashe and Noct come from a royal bloodline with some sort of connection to a "fated path". Ashe's birthright is to become the new Dynast-King, er, Dynast-Queen, as the Occuria will it to be. Noct is fated to become True King and liberate the world from darkness and the daemon threat. The difference lies with Noct embracing this fate as the "only way" and Ashe fighting against it to find "another way".

Squire

Banned
You can showcase the localization & dub without having 4 minutes of nonsense. So ???

It isn't nonsense?

What would you have them do different, specifically?

Keeping Tetsuya Nomura off mainline Final Fantasy for a while, is a good thing.

Anyone get the PS2 steelbook and remember the suuuuper dry, pointless, boring Final Fantasy tribute disc?

LOL yep

Pachinko

I hope people that skipped this one 10 years ago give it another shot , It's the best final fantasy I've played after FF9 released. If I'm actually done with Zelda and persona and a few other games I'll probably pick this remaster up come July.

Rad-

Basch looks badass af in HD. I think I'm going to control him this time around (I controlled Balthier in my previous playthroughs).

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It's been too long my old friend.

Such a lovely game in every respect. This seems like a great re-master so I'm giddy of losing hours on hours again. :D

HeelPower

Picking this up.

A friendly reminder that Square needs to give Hiroyuki Ito something to do. Talent literally just sitting there.

The only way Square will get that message is if enough people buy this game.

They did an amazing job remastering this.Let's hope it succeeds.

fatty

Watching that trailer reminded me how convoluted the story of FFXII was, but it looks great and I can't wait to play the Zodiac version of this game.

The battles in this games are fantastic and the voice acting is superb. I can't think of a game with better voice acting. Balthier and Fran sound great.

Top Bottom