• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - 2017 Spring Trailer

TheFatMan

As this is one of the ONLY Final Fantasy games I never beat (I'm looking at you original Final Fantasy 2) I am super excited to try this out this summer.

And that trailer just made my eagerness even worse.

Tevious

So are people cool with paying $50 for this? I paid that much when it originally came out in 2006. Unless I'm missing something, how are they justifying that price point? There's no extra pack in game, no "original vision" corrections, and it's just an HD port of the international edition, right? Seems like it should be $30 tops...?

I originally gave up on the game fairly early on because I just wasn't interested in the story and the characters ranged from boring to annoying. I know this game has it's cult of fans, but I just don't see myself giving this game another chance until it's maybe $10-$15.

So are people cool with paying $50 for this? I paid that much when it originally came out in 2006. Unless I'm missing something, how are they justifying that price point? There's no extra pack in game, no "original vision" corrections, and it's just an HD port of the international edition, right? Seems like it should be $30 tops...?

Apart from being an HD port of the International Version, this one also features:

- Re-recorded music
- Remastered sound
- Brand new music for some areas that recycled tracks before
- Even more revamps to the job system (you can now choose two jobs per character)
- Auto saves

Gunblade47

Neo Member
Love this game!

Absolute favourite in the series! I remember trying to beat it by just renting it. After the 20th day my grandparents caved and got it for me as a gift. Clocked 200hrs and didnt even 100% it but loved every moment.

I feel forcing Vaan and Panelo front and center was a big mistake as the story felt like it dealt with the side characters far more. Like it went from Basch -> Basch & Ashe -> Ashe & Balthier.

Gonna hold out and wait for the pc version instead since that is already my go to method for replaying this absolute timeless classic.

Edit: I also cant wait for the new voices. Thats sadly something that an emulator cant patch.

leroidys

I love this damn game. Built my last PC just to play the english patched international version. Can't wait for this to come out.

I loved this the first time around but that trailer was so scattershot and incoherent it felt like scenes strung together with no overarching story.

I still have my preorder. Gonna have to burn through on release before my wedding the next month.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I loved this the first time around but that trailer was so scattershot and incoherent it felt like scenes strung together with no overarching story.

Kinda true. Felt like a clip show rather than a narrative trailer telling a story. But you know... a lot of modern FF trailers are like that to be honest. A lot of random clips of people saying dramatic things out of context.

addik

Man, I'm excited for this game and the trailer just highlights how epic the game is.

Too bad it's an incoherent mess. Fans of FFXII will appreciate the changes and understand the context, but they have to draw in the FFXII-skeptics.

It's amazing how "Reclaim the Throne" was FFXV's tagline, but reclaiming the throne of Ivalice felt so much more compelling.

The only FF (not counting XI and XIV) I have literally never played. There are several that I have only played the intro sections, but XII is the only one I haven't even done that with.

It looks like it is going to be so good. Art style and unique battle system have always piqued my interest with this one.

aadiboy

That's just how FF trailers are. Heck, look at one of the original trailers from 2006:
https://youtu.be/p8KkzAKaMfE

It's pretty damn similar to today's trailer, except it has way more spoilers.

Also, I wonder if the dev team made the R2 function just to make battles look more cinematic for trailers, lol. It looks cool but literally serves no other purpose.

It seems they've realised Ashe is the main character and Vaan is a secondary character. ;) Good. And yeah, the English VA in FFXII is much better than the Japanese one. I'd say it's easily one of the best localization jobs in gaming.

After the bad taste XV left in my mouth I'm ready for a good FF again.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It seems they've realised Ashe is the main character and Vaan is a secondary character. ;) Good. And yeah, the English VA in FFXII is much better than the Japanese one. I'd say it's easily one of the best localization jobs in gaming.

After the bad taste XV left in my mouth I'm ready for a good FF again.

Agreed.

I am so happy that they just let the assets from the original game shine instead of badly updating the textures like they did in X.

Can't wait for this, I've already pre-reordered the LE.

Not playing this game with English VA should be a crime.

I adore the English VA, the localisation is without peer in the series.

That said I've clocked the original twice, so I wouldn't mind playing with the JP VA just out of curiosity.

doemaaan

I can't wait to play through this again. 10 years can change a mans perspective on things. I'm gonna see the story in a new way. I know it.

AndersK

I dumped my IZ-edition, patched it, an emulated it at 4K and played way to much.

Still gonna buy this day 1. Halp. dem dual-jobs look to good to pass on. Plus native DS4 due to Ps4 really helps my OCD.

Gorgeous art direction, almost FTT come to (3D)-Life

Steelbook preordered. This is probably the most majestic game ever made. It's a true timeless classic. I love the art-style and world. Everything about it feels so noble.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
So I've locked the time counter on the PS2 OG and I'm definitely in for this remaster. However, I have a hard time figuring out what the changes with the jobs system and all will imply, having totally skipped the International version at the time and what changes it brought to the game. I remember having maxed out all spheres for all chars and I loved that you could that, so now it means you'll have to make tough choices by really specializing your team ?

Firenze1

Banned
So I've locked the time counter on the PS2 OG and I'm definitely in for this remaster. However, I have a hard time figuring out what the changes with the jobs system and all imply for the game ? I remember having maxed out all spheres for all chars and I loved that you could that, so now it means you'll have to make tough choices by really specializing your team ?

I played IZJS back in the day, and this system is way better. You'll still able to get your character very powerful, and now it also has 2 jobs.

best thing about this is that they lifted the 9999dmg cap. You can now dish out 50K in one hit with the best weapons in the game. Yes, the invisable weapons are mighty powerful.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I played IZJS back in the day, and this system is way better. You'll still able to get your character very powerful, and now it also has 2 jobs.

best thing about this is that they lifted the 9999dmg cap. You can now dish out 50K in one hit with the best weapons in the game. Yes, the invisable weapons are mighty powerful.

Zodiac spear and Tournesol wiping the floor with mobs then ? :)

I'm a huge FF fan, played like 80% of them, so no hate here.

But I never really enjoyed this installment, if I could ask the rest of GAF, what makes this game enjoyable for you?

Foxxsoxx

I would literally buy this day 1 if they added an alternate outfit for Vaan. I never used him in my party but that outfit (his design in general really) of his is literally the worst designed thing I have ever seen.

Ridiculously tan, blonde-white hair, some kind of... silver metallic jewelry vest without a shirt... pants that are way too high on his hips. Like what the fuck kind of design is that, he's some kind of reject discount Aladdin.

At least they fixed his awful abs. Something like this would be way better though.

f4aa459669f70d6b94468cdcb0c278bc.jpg

DJIzana

But I never really enjoyed this installment, if I could ask the rest of GAF, what makes this game enjoyable for you?

Because the characters (at least some of them... Gabranth, Balthier, Basch etc).

Music is pretty good too. Just... the world of Ivalice in general.

Tactics is still my favorite game set in Ivalice but for a mainline entry, 12 was sure a great one for me. Top 5 easy.

FinalAres

Does anyone know if you can change character in towns in the new version?

It's obviously not a deal-breaker, but I'd really like to play as Ashe for the legit main character from as soon as she arrives.

IC5

How is the gameplay besides the battle system? ie, the towns, navigation the world, etc
Besides Rabanastre, most of the towns are not actually super complex. But some of them are still quite good. Nearly all of them seem pretty lived in, due to being well populated. And good world building comments from those inhabitants. On that sense, its up there with the better RPGs.

And nearly all of them look great. Lotes of background and architectural details. Playing it originally, it was a pretty constant "holy crap my PS2 is rendering this without a hitch". And that still rang pretty true, when I converted my save mid-game, To PCSX2 for downscaling to 1080p and some extra sweet FX and other shaders. The game is just really attractive. Cobalt blue skies and a lot of oranges and reds in the color palette.

World map is actually large, open fields of gameplay. Where you run around exploring and battling. Similar to an MMO.
You actually traverse your way to most locations. Rather than poking across a simple PSone era world map/globe. The world is well realized and reminds me of something like Guild Wars 1 in how attractive it is and how it all fits together pretty well and has more focus than some other MMOs. There is a fast travel system. But you will spend plenty of time on foot, for good reasons. And the fast travel doesn't detract from the game.

Each area segment in the world map, has had attention payed. I don't recall ever feeling like I was simply running through a bland plain with some enemies plopped there. As you can feel in some older MMO's, like everquest II. They all look great and have nice background details. Really giving you a sense of the differs terrains and parts of the world.

Many segments have out of the way caves to explore, hunts to go on, certain drops to collect, and/or are connections to towns or story advancing areas.

Dungeons in this game, IMO, are some of the best in the series. The beauty and variety of FF8, in fully polygonal, 3D spaces. With more of that dungeon crawl feel, like Kotor or the more focused MMOs.

It's a great game. Despite the development hell it went through, my only real issue is that the plot barely moves in the mid chunk of the game. But you still have plenty to do and see.

Lanrutcon

Does anyone know if you can change character in towns in the new version?

It's obviously not a deal-breaker, but I'd really like to play as Ashe for the legit main character from as soon as she arrives.

Doubtful. NPCs' non-cutscene dialogue and reactions are written with Vaan in mind when in town.

Rad-

How is the gameplay besides the battle system? ie, the towns, navigation the world, etc

The world design is perhaps my favorite in any FF. It's sort of semi-open world where you can end up in harder areas if you aren't careful (but still most of it is locked to the story progression).

I think it has the best combat system out of any turn/round based JRPG. Also some of the characters are my favorites in the series (Basch, Balthier) but also some are some of the worst (Vaan, Penelo). I also really liked the more "mature" art style and feel of the game.

Top Bottom