• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - 2017 Spring Trailer

The original English dialogue was poorly recorded and that can never be fixed at this point without finding everyone and re-recording it.

I'll just use the JP dialogue anyways, it's how I originally played through the game back in the day as an imported title. Without being able to read a word of Japanese. I still don't know how I finished the entire game that way to this day.

Are we sure about this? I've never heard that the voices were poorly recorded, just they were heavily compressed for either storage or performance reasons.

US Gamer Interview said:
USG: Are these the original voice performances? Have they just been cleaned up for higher-definition audio?

FFXII: The assets we're using are the original recordings, but we're able to reproduce those audio assets with higher quality compared to the PS2.

The response here can be read both ways. But if the original voiceover assets are high-quality, I can't imagine why they wouldn't use them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Breaker is pretty badass. I'm trying to think of what to pair it with. Maybe Time Mage for easier 3x swiftness, poach, steal, time magic + green magic. Or maybe Hunter if you want to use ninja swords with genji equipment (they have even better combo rates than Katanas in IZJS IIRC).

When I had Fran as a time mage I noticed she was pretty low on MP a lot of the time. So don't expect to keep your party hasted 24/7, at least not early on. Better to maybe focus on an individual attacker (who you can also Berserk kek)

I'm pretty underwhelmed by these remasters and XII is near the bottom of my favorite mainline Final Fantasy games so this didn't do much for me though I forgot how much Lightning resembled Ashe.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by these remasters and XII is near the bottom of my favorite mainline Final Fantasy games so this didn't do much for me though I forgot how much Lightning resembled Ashe.

XII is pretty low for me too, but the vast majority of my problems with it are fixed in the IZJS version (jobs, fast forward to more easily simulate combat, break damage limit, etc). Think it'll hold up much better with the changes.

Though I'm dreading the job select screen. Really scared to just wing it. Will prolly look up suggestions on class setups before I start.

Famassu

Outside of actually fully remaking these games from scratch, how could hese remasters even be better than they are? Like how are they "underwhelming"?
XII is pretty low for me too, but the vast majority of my problems with it are fixed in the IZJS version (jobs, fast forward to more easily simulate combat, break damage limit, etc). Think it'll hold up much better with the changes.

Though I'm dreading the job select screen. Really scared to just wing it. Will prolly look up suggestions on class setups before I start.
Maybe just imagine what jobs fit what characters the best, don't think too much about optimal job combinations and just have fun eith it. Like Vaan obviously wouldn't be a samurai or a white mage.

teiresias

Are we sure about this? I've never heard that the voices were poorly recorded, just they were heavily compressed for either storage or performance reasons.

The response here can be read both ways. But if the original voiceover assets are high-quality, I can't imagine why they wouldn't use them.

Neither the interviewer nor the interviewee specifies whether they're talking about the English voiceover recordings or not.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

As long as one of your 6 characters is a white mage you can play the game comfortably laid back. You can't screw yourself.

Final Fantasy is typically pretty easy to beat and XII is no exception. At least the main story.

aravuus

I previously said that Samurai was a disappointment in IZJS. But I'm thinking Samurai + Monk could be the most powerful combo in Zodiac Age.

Katanas are based on both magic and physical attack. Samurai gets 14 magic lores but only 8 battle lores. Monk gets a whopping 16 battle lores. So he would greatly increase Samurai's damage potential.

Meanwhile Monk can unlock all the best White magic, but has zero magic lores and wears light armor. With all of Samurai's magic lores + mystic armor, he can be almost as good as dedicated white Mage in terms of healing ability.

Samurai + Monk sounds badass as fuck.

I have to admit, I'm dreading picking all the jobs myself already lol. Taking notes while reading this thread.

GenericUser

Yep, still looks like a PS2 game.

I have the feeling that this trailer more or less contains all voice acted cutscenes from the game.

Might bite, but certainly not for 50€.

Rad-

Samurai was actually one of the highest DPS jobs in the game. When you get Masamune I and Genji Gloves then he becomes the highest by quite a margin. IIRC only Wyrmhero Blade beats it in DPS (but when you get it you have pretty much beaten the whole game already so it's more of a trophy weapon).

Samurai's main problem was that it lacked Focus and Adrenaline which is what Monk adds to it (and of course physical breaks, some white magic, STR and HP lores) so I agree that Samurai/Monk is a very good combo. In my latest team comp I also have it there along with Knight/Red Mage (Excalibur + White Robes) and Archer/Black Mage (basically fixing Archer's main problem which is bad weather -> cast spells during those times and different weathers also boost Black Magic. This guy is also the Nihopalaoa + Remedy user of the group meaning he is going to make hunts/bosses a lot easier) though I keep constantly changing everyone. :p

As long as one of your 6 characters is a white mage you can play the game comfortably laid back. You can't screw yourself.

You don't really even need a White Mage anymore with this 2 job system. For example Ashe as Knight/Red Mage gets all the White Magick needed and 99 STR and 99 MAG end game.

Famassu

I have the feeling that this trailer more or less contains all voice acted cutscenes from the game.

What are you babbling about? I mean, it was a PS2 game so obviously it's not gonna suddenly have the graphical fidelity of FFXV or something. This isn't a graphical overhaul/remake, it's a remaster. It's still a very good looking PS2 game made look even better in HD and some slight touches

And "all the voiced cutscenes from the game in the trailer".... wut?

Even with basic upscaling on an emulator it could pass for a ps3 game.
Now theyve actually improved char models and lod and some lighting and whatnot

I've not seen it that high over here (29 quid over here seems to be the ballpark).

MartyStu

No.

Also, at the time of its release, the game looked uncommonly good for a PS2 game. The remastered game could pass for a PS3 game.

Szadek

Someone clearly hasn't played or seen a PS2 in quite sometime, otherwise you wouldn't say stuff like this.

Rad-

If you are new to this game here are some simple tips for building a team:

- Have at least White Magicks: Cure, Cura, Curaga, Curaja. These four healing spells are enough for the whole game. You can check Final Fantasy wiki for which job gets which spells.
- Have physical Breaks (Wither and Expose). Breaks work against everything so you can make that super boss deal 100 damage with every punch. Magical Breaks are good too but not as necessary as physical Breaks.
- Have someone with at least 2 Remedy lores (best is 3 but 2 works too) for Nihopalaoa + Remedy usage. This is basically like Bad Breath against hunt marks and other harder enemies. Until you get Nihopalaoa (it's an accessory) Blind is a good spell to have (so Black Mage).

The first one out of those is the only must have. The last two are something that make harder fights a ton easier.

Also bows and crossbows can miss in bad weathers. IIRC bow's (Archer) accuracy drops to 80% and crossbow's (Time Mage) to 50%.

Lanrutcon

If you are new to this game here are some simple tips for building a team:

- Have at least White Magicks: Cure, Cura, Curaga, Curaja. These four healing spells are enough for the whole game. You can check Final Fantasy wiki for which job gets which spells.
- Have physical Breaks (Wither and Expose). Breaks work against everything so you can make that super boss deal 100 damage with every punch. Magical Breaks are good too but not as necessary as physical Breaks.
- Have someone with at least 2 Remedy lores (best is 3 but 2 works too) for Nihopalaoa + Remedy usage. This is basically like Bad Breath against hunt marks and other harder enemies. Until you get Nihopalaoa (it's an accessory) Blind is a good spell to have (so Black Mage).

The first one out of those is the only must have. The last two are something that make harder fights a ton easier.

Also bows and crossbows can miss in bad weathers. IIRC bow's (Archer) accuracy drops to 80% and crossbow's (Time Mage) to 50%.

And buffs. Protect/Shell are stupidly good. Shell cuts the odds that a status effect lands on the character by 50%!

paulpp

Neo Member
FF12 is available for pre-order on Amazon (U.S.) for $37.76 today.

This is a better price than the 20% Prime discount and no Prime membership is needed.

Top Bottom