• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - 2017 Spring Trailer

Netto-kun

Few things that I got from the stream. Many of us guessed these correctly before but nice to see confirmation:

- Licenses are "shared" meaning if you unlock one license in job board 1 you will have the same license unlocked in job board 2. So if you choose two jobs with both having 16 battle lores, you only get 16 battle lores in total (not 32).
- The previous also means that with some license unlocks in job board 1 you can jump to license board 2's "license islands" without spending a quickening/summon to get there.
- Multiple characters can choose the same job. So for example you can make everyone a black mage if you want.
- No more magic queue. This is pretty huge. Magic was already powerful in IZJS but its limit was that your spells were queued. Not anymore.
Thought I was seeing things during that part of the live stream and had to rewatch again since I couldn't remember whether multiple characters could pick the same job or not.

Curious whether there's a limit to that. If not I might as well make all party members Red Battlemage + additional job.

ObsidianG

Thought I was seeing things during that part of the live stream and had to rewatch again since I couldn't remember whether multiple characters could pick the same job or not.

Curious whether there's a limit to that. If not I might as well make all party members Red Battlemage + additional job.

Really glad to hear that multiple characters can have the same job. I am definitely running 2 red battlemages (with white and black mage to complement them) as well as 2 dedicated dragoon/archer hybrids once I get my hand on the game!

Really psyched to mess around with the job system. This trailer reminded me I'm NOT so psyched to wade through the ponderous script again. Too late and to their sorrow do those who misplace their trust in awkward faux-Elizabethan English learn their sad fate.

Few things that I got from the stream. Many of us guessed these correctly before but nice to see confirmation:

- Licenses are "shared" meaning if you unlock one license in job board 1 you will have the same license unlocked in job board 2. So if you choose two jobs with both having 16 battle lores, you only get 16 battle lores in total (not 32).
- The previous also means that with some license unlocks in job board 1 you can jump to license board 2's "license islands" without spending a quickening/summon to get there.
- Multiple characters can choose the same job. So for example you can make everyone a black mage if you want.
- No more magic queue. This is pretty huge. Magic was already powerful in IZJS but its limit was that your spells were queued. Not anymore.
Killing the magic queue will absolutely eliminate some boss strategies for low-level runs, which is a shame.

So after those horrific FFXV trailers they finally hired good marketing people again.

That trailer was INCREDIBLE!

Makes FFXII's boring story look awesome. The writing is so strong though, the dialogue and some of the imagery in the game is very compelling.

I'm hoping as older and more mature me will hopefully find the story better today. I appreciate subtlety a lot more now than I did.

Looking forward to this!

Bluenoser

Can't wait for this, but I find it looks less crisp than the FFX-HD remaster. The character faces in particular look so soft and blurred. It may be the art style they chose, which was not that apparent in 480p back on the PS2... not sure.

Geg

Damn, that was a good trailer. Unfortunately probably gonna have to pass on this at least for now, too many games to play & also gotta watch my budget with all the money I've already spent on games this year.

Plus FFXII was always a mid-tier FF imo anyway

HeeHo

Really psyched to mess around with the job system. This trailer reminded me I'm NOT so psyched to wade through the ponderous script again. Too late and to their sorrow do those who misplace their trust in awkward faux-Elizabethan English learn their sad fate.

I find it more interesting personally. It's not hard to read either, at least for me.

I don't have a problem with Persona 5's localization but some of the sentence structure in the game had me scratching my head if I was reading it right. Weird how that can happen even if the game isn't attempting some fancy speak.

addik

Can't wait for this, but I find it looks less crisp than the FFX-HD remaster. The character faces in particular look so soft and blurred. It may be the art style they chose, which was not that apparent in 480p back on the PS2... not sure.

It's the art style I think. I remember the PS2 version being quite hazy back then which is why I'm still getting used to seeing everything much sharper lol. Exact opposite from what you're experiencing.

There were a few very brief gameplay clips mixed in that looked way sharper than the cutscenes. Stylistic choice I guess.

Tiamant

How was that a good trailer? Just a bunch of scenes with random dialogue all plastered over. Zero rhythm.

Want to see a good FFXII trailer? Watch THIS

MartyStu

How was that a good trailer? Just a bunch of scenes with random dialogue all plastered over. Zero rhythm.

Want to see a good FFXII trailer? Watch THIS

Yeah, I have to agree. The new trailer is not very good.

As an aside, I forget how much I really disliked the story of this game. The translation and the world is wasted on it.

Yeah, I have to agree. The new trailer is not very good.

As an aside, I forget how much I really disliked the story of this game. The translation and the world is wasted on it.

It's flawed like every FF, but it's the last single-player FF game that didn't feel irreparably compromised in its final iteration.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
OMG. The awesome voice acting of FF12 not sounding like it was recorded out of a tin can, worth it alone

jennetics

Is there any comparison between the English voiceovers? I can't really tell if the audio compression has been fixed with this remaster.

Wait, can you control guests now??? Sweet.

Notice how Ashe is the main focus of the trailer, and not Vaan.

Someone at SE's marketing department knows what's what. Only way it could have been better is if they had focused on Balthier

How much of that is a conscious decision, and how much of it is just a symptom of Ashe being the main focus of the game? Vaan's kinda just the eyes the player views events through, really.

Valonquar

Just a testament to FFXII's design & style: Nearly every enemy from this game is in FFXIV, with minor polygon updates.

IC5

You probably never watched any Star Wars movie. The inspiration is beyond obvious, it's palpable.
There is also a certain city (which I wont name or give context for, due to spoilers) which is a direct rip of the visual style for the elvish city Rivendell, in the Lord of The Rings movies!

BigEmil

Yeah, it ain't cheap, but it's not like they are doing a bad job with this game, so I can at least kind of see where they are coming from.
Charging about the same price which brand new from the ground up big AAA games sell for, which this is a remaster that's not really that extensive of one old game they already sold for full price before mainly just enhanced character models, added on an already existing system, remixed osts that's it so i don't see where they're coming from. SE just being SE.
A good remaster worthy of its price from SE would be KH 1.5+2.5 Remix for PS4 that's an insane amount of value 4 games and 2 movies all remastered

The character textures are much higher resolution than those in X on ps2, however the HD remaster of X had new (awful) character textures.

I think they've done a great job here letting the old assets shine. Detail maps on world textures, some light normal map and materials on characters.

Inbachi

Neo Member
I modded my PS2 just so I could play the international version back in the day. I'm looking forward to re-visiting this world again.

Newboi

Man, I absolutely loved FFXII when I played through it back in the day, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to make the time investment to play through it again.

The one thing I didn't like about FFXII is the fact that you had to beat all of the hardest bosses in the game in order to get the game's best weapon. What's the point of getting the best weapon if there's nobody powerful enough to make use of it. By the time you were powerful enough to beat Yiazmat, Omega, or Zodiark, you could clean house with the main game.

Anyway, is it true that the Zodiac Job version of FFXII had break damage and break HP limit? If so, that would make later fights MUCH faster (especially Yiazmat).

Firenze1

Banned
Man, I absolutely loved FFXII when I played through it back in the day, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to make the time investment to play through it again.

The one thing I didn't like about FFXII is the fact that you had to beat all of the hardest bosses in the game in order to get the game's best weapon. What's the point of getting the best weapon if there's nobody powerful enough to make use of it. By the time you were powerful enough to beat Yiazmat, Omega, or Zodiark, you could clean house with the main game.

Anyway, is it true that the Zodiac Job version of FFXII had break damage and break HP limit? If so, that would make later fights MUCH faster (especially Yiazmat).

There are new weapons now more powerful then Tournesol.

Yes it has break damage limit. You can deal 50k in one hit. Old version had 9999 cap.

fallingdove

Really getting hyped reading about all of the great changes to the game.

- Zodiac Job System - Check
- Camera Control Issue Fixed - Check

If they would only make it so that the party leader was the person I controlled in each citiy instead of Vaan, this would be the greatest remaster of all time for me.

dan2026

Voice sound better at least...but I'm not sure by how much.

edit: The Japanese voice acting has much better audio quality. Welp, I guess nobody at Squeenix gave a fuck about properly storing the original English audio tapes or whatever.

This is dual audio anyway isn't it?

Shepard

Hated this game. Way too serious, way too up its own ass.

One of the reasons to make me love it: it's serious without falling into most sob story cliches that plague a lot of JRPGS. Reminded me a lot of FFT and Vagrant Story, from the same guy, in the same tone and also in the same world. Perfect.

Top Bottom