• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - 2017 Spring Trailer

You probably never watched any Star Wars movie. The inspiration is beyond obvious, it's palpable.

Didn't the developers acknowledge SW as a major influence? Some people go a bit overboard with the comparison but the influence is pretty obvious, yeah.

Gradon

I never really enjoyed this 11 years ago, I was only 12 though and was very upset that they 'changed FF'. I also didn't like Vaan.

I've been talking to several friends at work recently about this HD remaster and after enjoying FFXIV, contemplating it. I feel like I might enjoy the game nowadays versus back then.

The new stuff they've added in Zodiac look fun.

Arkeband

Banned
Do we think the reception to XII will be warmer than it was in 2006?

I feel like it was ahead of its time.

It's not even getting as sweeping of a remaster as FFX and that was released four years ago, and was two games.

It may review well but I don't expect it to sell very well. This is a filler release for them - an excuse to port it to x86 for future port jobs.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My favorite dialogue in an rpg. My favorite rpg, I think.

Fou-Lu

Vaan's costume is so good, the reactions to it very much confuse me. It's one part Aladdin, one part Final Fantasy Monk.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I literally can't remember any of those scenes. Like at all. Considering how awesome the story in FF tactics is, why was this one so forgettable?
I thought it was a good story, just too sparse. So much open terrain to explore and huge tombs to raid with comparatively little exposition in-between.

Also, in contrast to most JRPGs and anime, the characters don't melodramatically beat you over the head with their personality and loudly/repeatedly explain their inner thoughts. There's a lot of reading between the lines involved.

E.g.
the artifacts Ashe seeks to prove her lineage are basically nuclear weapons, and she realizes she could use them to get revenge against the empire. If this were FF XIII, she would loudly and repeatedly agonize over the decision in cutscene after cutscene while the characters shared their trite, grade school-level philosophy with her. Whereas in XII there are only a few lines spoken about it. The writers leave it to you to put yourself in her shoes and empathize with her. And there is also a lot that is said through body language and facial expressions.

Protocol7

The FF that truly deserved an HD remaster.

Pre-ordered the steelbook edition.

Can't wait to get back to Ivalice!! *^^*

Cornbread78

The FF that truly deserved an HD remaster.

Pre-ordered the steelbook edition.
Can't wait to get back to Ivalice!! *^^*

NAH, FFX fulfilled that wish already.

However, I already pre-ordered and payed off my steelbook edition, so I'm eagerly awaiting this one!

shark sandwich

Do we think the reception to XII will be warmer than it was in 2006?

I feel like it was ahead of its time.
It got delayed several years and launched while all the hype was focused on Xbox 360 and PS3. It was also dramatically different from Final Fantasy X.

There were also some very legitimate complaints about it, some of which are fixed in Zodiac Age.

I think it will get a lot more appreciation than it did in 2006.

jimmypython

it's so SO good. With 2 jobs per character, we can finally use all the jobs in one playthrough!

I hope next single player mainline FF game would match this quality.

Vashetti

Banned
As always, it looks great overall.

But does anyone know if their work on it is pretty much finished now until launch?

Please make some new ground textures :(

Rad-

As always, it looks great overall.

But does anyone know if their work on it is pretty much finished now until launch?

Please make some new ground textures :(

I hope they still add these small gameplay fixes:

- Give an option to make action menu appear automatically when a character with gambits off has his turn.
- Remove the short character stop when holstering a weapon. It gets annoying after a while.

shark sandwich

Fuck yeah. I'm loving all these gameplay changes. Magic queue was there for performance reasons, right? Only makes sense they'd fix it, but I still remained pessimistic.

When it comes to licenses, I wonder if it'd be best to pick job combinations that have the least shared licenses between them.
I think it's going to be very useful to combine high-speed/light armor jobs with slower heavy armor jobs.

In particular, Time Mage would make a surprisingly great upgrade for Monk or Hunter. Time Mage uses heavy armor and crossbows, so it adds a great set of abilities to the classes that are limited to light armor and melee weapons.

Foxxsoxx

Vaan's costume is so good, the reactions to it very much confuse me. It's one part Aladdin, one part Final Fantasy Monk.

A metallic Aladdin with platinum blonde hair and tan skin.

Everything about him looks weird, at least from my American perspective. Not sure how he was perceived in Japan, but I would assume they liked him more seeing how he was definitely designed around them.

Neff

God damn what a trailer.

Is it weird that I went from not liking this game much on release to thinking it's probably the greatest Final Fantasy ever made?

I bought it very late (2008 or so), really looking forward to it and found it incredibly underwhelming and disappointing. It was such a direct contrast to what I expect from Final Fantasy that I gave up on it after only playing for only a few hours or so, and didn't play it again for months.

But holy shit, when I went back, something happened. I pushed myself forward, and soon I was making quick progress, experimenting with the systems, exploring the vast world of Ivalice, and my sessions went from 1-2 hours to like 6-8 at a time. I was utterly hooked. Brilliant, brilliant game.

To this day, this is still the best Star Wars game, day one.

Pretty much. It's probably even more authentic than TFA or RO in some ways.

Shepard

I hope they still add these small gameplay fixes:

- Remove the short character stop when holstering a weapon. It gets annoying after a while.

This. You start to really notice it after playing for a few hours. I know that it is way better than battle transitions from IX,X (that's basically what it is), but I'd still love to see them holstering while running.

The best of the modern FF games. I'm beyond excited to play this again (even though I only played it through about a year ago. It still looks good on the PS2, but this looks great.)

Miggy

Like many people in the thread, I never got the chance to play FF12 when it came out back in 2006. Looking forward playing this beautiful remaster.

Aru

I really doubt that the addition of jobs and the speed options will help me like MMO-like battle system. Every single game like that so far failed.
I guess I'm passing on this one. Will probably buy the remastered OST, though.

jett

D-Member
Voice sound better at least...but I'm not sure by how much.

edit: The Japanese voice acting has much better audio quality. Welp, I guess nobody at Squeenix gave a fuck about properly storing the original English audio tapes or whatever.

Top Bottom