• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Which Esper do I need to gain access to the Ninja Swords 2 license on the Shikari board (Vaan)? I've got an Iga Blade but can't use the damn thing.
I think they're locked behind quickenings so you may be out of luck if you already have all three.

Lightning

Banned
There's no real endgame DPS difference. They have the same DPS Augments and they'll both easily hit 99 STR for Masamune I. Biggest differences are:

In regards to DPS, probably 'staying alive' means more DPS, so:
- BSH/KNI big Magic EVA advantage (Zodiac Esc. + Shield Block 3) makes a Critical HP (Adrenaline) BSH easier to keep alive.... Technically, you have an even bigger EVA advantage but most hard bosses ignore your EVA as if it were 0
- BSH/MNK in theory would have more HP without Bubble (since BSH/KNI needs to wear pure STR armor; BSH/MNK can hit 99 STR with 1 piece of Light Armor for HP) but Bubble kinda nullifies this advantage

Stat wise:
- BSH/MNK has better late game STR/MAG pre-Masamune I because of the extra Battle Lores
- BSH/KNI has better STR/MAG growth early on because early-mid Heavy Armor usually has more STR than Mystic Armor has MAG (1 MAG very slighty > 1 STR but for most of the story choosing between the two armor types will probably be a a few more STR than MAG)
- Only BSH/MNK can hit 99 STR/99MAG... BSH/KNI will miss slightly except on Ashe maaaaybe Vaan. Basch and Balthier miss though. However, since Masamune I uses just STR it's kinda symbolic (I mean it's still nice for your KNI or MNK heals but you're BSH is probably Berserked anyhow)

BSH/KNI is better IMO for the extra Magic EVA, but it's pretty marginal. As long as you got 99 STR and Adrenaline, you're good to go. I personally still went BSH/MNK just because I had nowhere else to put MNK (but I needed Whale Whisker with a Genji-user) and I already had 2 KNIs anyhow (and all 3 of my main characters use shields and I wanted the 2 characters to use Zodiac Escs. that I got without using Trials to get a 3rd -- no Trials items on my main file). But if I was designing a perfect 3-man party, I'd have given the edge to BSH/KNI so I could give him a Zodiac Esc. with Shield Block 3. I think it's worth it to help a Critical HP or Full HP BSH stay there a little more consistently.
Bush/Knight also gets the Exclaibur with White Robes/Genji Gloves. Just destroys late enemies in Henne Mines, Great Crystal, Pharos Subterra, Lushu Mines end game areas while also destroying Zodiark and Hell Wyrm. Not so useful against Yiazmat and Omega Mark but man the damage against everything else.

Bladenic

The only way I ever defeated the first Demon Wall back in the day was through quickenings. Since I haven't unlocked any of them until I get the second jobs, looks like for the first time ever I'll have to not beat it until later :(

Meowster

Only trophies I have left are Bestiary, All Magicks, All Techniques, and beating Round 100 of Trial Mode. I don't want it to end!

Carbonox

Man, still got like 40 rare game to hunt down for the bestiary. At least I know that's the only segment left to complete to get the trophy.

Then it's on to trial mode.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone eyeballing the plat should try to knock out some of the rare game while hunting marks or going through the story. It's not a terrible grind but some of the monsters have specific timings to spawn. Tightest timing I've seen so far is a 10 min range from game timer xx:10 to xx:20 so if you miss it you must progress another hour of game time for it to respawn.

BeeDog

Damn, the Trophy Rare Game zombie called Disma (in the Lhusu Mines) was almost as bad as the toughest boss I've fought so far (Gilgy...). Wiped out my party several times, seems like every time a character struck him the HP dropped like hell.

Lightning

Banned
Man, still got like 40 rare game to hunt down for the bestiary. At least I know that's the only segment left to complete to get the trophy.

Then it's on to trial mode.
If trophies are all your interested in you should go trial mode first, it counts towards the bestiary and you can save yourself having to spawn the enemies. You face a lot of the rare game there, and I'd only hunt down the ones missing from trial mode if I was only interested in the trophy.

I love the summon improvements to Zodiac Age. Not only does your summon last long, but they appear stronger and you can now do their final attacks whenever you feel like it. I'm summoning all the time in this version of the game. The Ultima summon is extremely good, does great damage and now I don't need to go through the bullshit of setting up for her final attack, just do it whenever I want. They can clear entire areas now cause they are strong and last for roughly 5 minutes rather than 90seconds and if you want their final attack with the exception of Zodiark you need to spend most of that time setting up for their final attack fulfilling stupid conditions for them to do it so their entire summon time wasted and not enough damage to justify the bullshit. But they are awesome now, all of them have uses now, not just Zodiark Final Eclipse spam lol.

Damn, the Trophy Rare Game zombie called Disma (in the Lhusu Mines) was almost as bad as the toughest boss I've fought so far (Gilgy...). Wiped out my party several times, seems like every time a character struck him the HP dropped like hell.
I hate Disma. He's by far the hardest of the rare game, imo. His magic attacks do insane amounts of damage

Ludens

Banned
When the Diamond Armlet become available to the vendor in Dalmasca estersand?
I need to fight the boss in Mount Bur, but I want to get that special bow so I don't need to think about getting better weapons for my party for the rest of the game.

Anyway 4x speed is a God's bless in this game, Im literally breezing through the game with it, if you set your gambits right and you are a bit overleveled, you won't even need to push a single button during regular fights. I never saw a game-over for now, this is maybe the easier FF concering the main plot only.

I remember on PS2 I beat the game around level 42, now I'm level 40 already and bosses go down in less than a minute.

kromeo

According to the clock I've played 55 hours and I'm just at the entrance to Sochen Cave Palace, I'm going to clear 100 hours again by the end...

Think Dark Souls 1 was the last time that happened

Shahed

Yeah Disma was a pain. U randomly came across him in the way to Gilgamesh. Fieget the magicw, once I got him to low health, he just kept one shoting my characters with physical attacks.

Niw I'm unsure where to go next. Great Crystal for Hastega, Shellga and Excalibur, Henne Mines for Addle and a bunch if stuff, or Pharos for Wither and others as well. Hmmm

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some more screenshots. Getting all the optional espers I can as the game goes on. Just finished the Zelara fight, fucker almost wiped me out with the insta-KO attack. God bless Basch's survivability.

finalfantasythezodiacc7omd.png

finalfantasythezodiac4arn6.png

Bladenic

So if I have Basch as a Bushi/Knight, would it make sense to keep him in Mystic Armor or give him heavy?

I would imagine mystic if he's using Katana due to his low magical power. I made Penelo a Bushi and I regret it, she seems very weak since her strength is trash and can't wear Heavy Armor. Basch would've been more suited for it. I guess I can make her second job a Knight though.

burgerdog

Kinda regret destroying Necrohol of Nabudis with Penelo as a black mage/red mage. Entered at lv34 with her and left at lv44 with a ridiculous amount of good loot for my tank, casters and dps.

Got my first seitengrat~

Edit: 6! What other invisible chests are there and what do they have?

i got all 6 from the same chest. just leave the airship deck, return (& create new autosave), close application, & redo the whole process :) ...

You actually only have to finish your current floor in Trials.
It'll auto-save after every floor, and you can load THAT save back into the main campaign.
You don't need to wait until you make a manual, hard-save.

didn't know - thanks! :) ...

I forgot how good the soundtrack for this game is, Absolutely incredible.

Finally got to sit down and play for a bit again. Headed out into the Sandsea and ended up finishing the Tomb of Raithwall. Good news is I steamrolled right through and
Belias
was laughably easy at level 20. I haven't even stopped to grind levels yet either. The bad news is only my 3 main characetsr are lv.20. The other three are lv.11, lol. So, probably going to spend some time trying to catch those guys up.

Haven't unlocked any quickenings yet, still trying to figure out the whole license board thing so being pretty stingy with my points. As of right now, my team is :

Vaan: Knight
Ashe: White Mage
Basche: Bushi
Balthier: Machinist
Fran: Archer
Penelo: Black Mage

Am I doing this right? In all honestly most of the job selection stuff in this thread has gone right over my head, so just trying to roll with what I vaguely remember my characters doing way back on vanilla PS2 version.

kromeo

I forgot how good the soundtrack for this game is, Absolutely incredible.

If you switch between the new ones and the originals you can hear the majority of them are actually hugely improved

Tchita Uplands actually has new music as well instead of just repeating Giza Plains

I'm gonna say it...

...I don't like the new license boards. I miss the original, having my options more open for everyone. I also really wish this game would at least offer you a way to reset your license board one time per character or something.

If you switch between the new ones and the originals you can hear the majority of them are actually hugely improved

Tchita Uplands actually has new music as well instead of just repeating Giza Plains

There's a number of areas with new music, but I have't heard them all yet. Nam-Yensa is my favourite so far though. Very Star Wars-y.

Jeels

I was in the mid-to-high 30s when I started taking them on. So I waited a while after they became available. But levels are only part of the equation. Extra gear and spells from either raiding side areas or advancing the story can make a big difference.

Well the big problem with the sewer one is he does sap and poison. And then he does disable so you cant even heal yourself. I don't want to have to do the grind for ribbons.

Yeah, and that's the reason I wouldn't recommend the old soundtrack anymore. You wouldn't hear the new tracks, which are fantastic too!

I think they did a stellar job with the new reorchestred tracks. Overall it's a huge improvement.

I only disliked a small variation around the 1 minute mark at the esper battle theme.

kromeo

Yeah, and that's the reason I wouldn't recommend the old soundtrack anymore. You wouldn't hear the new tracks, which are fantastic too!

I think they did a stellar job with the new reorchestred tracks. Overall it's a huge improvement.

I only disliked a small variation around the 1 minute mark at the esper battle theme.

The only one I haven't been overly keen on is Salikawood, the melody of it in the new version is far too quiet, you can only really hear it if you stand still. The DLC ost actually has the best version of that one

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm mad that some people have such an easy time getting that bow, or even multiple of them.

I tried for over an hour and nothing.

Really? I followed the video posted a few pages back and got 3 on my first 3 attempts. The video is presented in a seemingly foolproof way to get one (or 6).

I seem to recall hearing there was a Level 1 challenge mode of some sort that opened upon beating the game in the import IZJS. Is that also in this version?

I'm finding the game to be pretty easy and just finished Raithwall. Far easier than I remember vanilla ever being. I'm not even trying half the time and am pulling through just fine. Hardly overlevelled too. Hunts have been alright though challenge-wise. I guess I could start duoing to limit myself a bit.

Vashetti

Banned
Vaan: Shikari / Time Battlemage
Penelo: Monk / Uhlan
Balthier: Machinist / White Mage
Fran: Archer / Black Mage
Ashe: Knight / Foebreaker
Basch: Bushi / Red Battlemage

Which quickenings do I pick?

I'm in the Pharos and haven't bought a single one lol

Burbeting

Banned
Vaan: Shikari / Time Battlemage
Penelo: Monk / Uhlan
Balthier: Machinist / White Mage
Fran: Archer / Black Mage
Ashe: Knight / Foebreaker
Basch: Bushi / Red Battlemage

Which quickenings do I pick?

I'm in the Pharos and haven't bought a single one lol

Just grab 3 for everyone. Quickenings can be very useful, although much less so now that you are so far to the game.

Atlantis

I seem to recall hearing there was a Level 1 challenge mode of some sort that opened upon beating the game in the import IZJS. Is that also in this version?

I'm finding the game to be pretty easy and just finished Raithwall. Far easier than I remember vanilla ever being. I'm not even trying half the time and am pulling through just fine. Hardly overlevelled too. Hunts have been alright though challenge-wise. I guess I could start duoing to limit myself a bit.

You're not going to be challenged much by the main story, especially since the job system kind of forces a more optimized party than the original game.

Keep up with the hunts and when they're available, optional espers. They're a lot of fun if you don't overpower them with equipment.

Ooccoo

Forgot how boring Mist attacks are. Who thought going through 5+ animations was fun?

Also some of the puzzles are so bad it hurts. Gigas gate made no sense.

Do not even get me started on invisible chests and other random BS.

Forgot how boring Mist attacks are. Who thought going through 5+ animations was fun?

Also some of the puzzles are so bad it hurts. Gigas gate made no sense.

Do not even get me started on invisible chests and other random BS.

Mist attacks are disappointing visually too, I think. Some cool effects, but because they didn't know which character would be using which weapon, they don't incorporate the weapons, and this robs them of a lot of impact and relevance to character build. Stuff like Basch's R-L-R karate punch of doom are pretty comical. Also, mist attacks are never even addressed in-game, are they? Why do the characters have these abilities? What are these weird non-canon attacks? Why doesn't everyone else in the world use these super-powered attacks?

Really wish this game had a meaningful attack ability system tied to weapons.

jorgeton

Lawd this game has aged like fine wine. The 2x speed helps too. Funny how when I first played it in 2006, the story felt so sparse in the second half, but now that everything is a little faster the pacing actually feels just right. I think I was just accustomed to jrpgs back then dropping huge story beats on you every hour, where now in 2017 that has changed a bit with all the open world games.

And the speed really helps with hunts. I found them to be a huge slog back then, but now that I can zip through the map to get marks, it's one of my favorite things to do.

Also Ashe is probably one of my favorite FF protagonists ever. Still love how the opening hours you think it's going to be about Vaan, but then nope, it's about a vengeful princess' quest for WMD's.

As if 2017 wasn't delivering already on epic games, blown away by how good this remaster is.

Top Bottom