• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

BeeDog

Hell Wyrm down, phew. Tedious fight made worse by the fact that he has a shitton of HP. Dread to fight Yiazmat now since I've understood he has 5 times the HP(!!!) Hell Wyrm has.

ST2K

Coming up on the end of the game now. It'll be my first time finishing it, and I enjoyed it tremendously, but there's definitely some weirdness going on with the story. I don't think a lot of things were explained very well. Anything involving nethicite and the Mist gets very muddled for me. While the script styling being so literary is a very cool choice, interactions feel stilted and unnatural a lot. Additionally, I don't feel a sense of what really binds these characters together as a whole. Vaan and Penello feel completely superfluous to everything going on and I'm still not entirely sure about the nature of Fran and Balthier's relationship. Initially, I thought the ambiguity intentional, but now I'm not sure.

I get now why it was so divisive on release. It's very different and undeniably flawed in a lot of ways. But there's something compelling about it that carries you through and makes the ride enjoyable like very few other games can.
Now that I'm saying it, it reminds me a lot of FFXV...

Glad I picked it up. Probably will end up being in the top 5 of my Final Fantasy rankings.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Hell Wyrm down, phew. Tedious fight made worse by the fact that he has a shitton of HP. Dread to fight Yiazmat now since I've understood he has 5 times the HP(!!!) Hell Wyrm has.
Use Wither, Addle and Expose! All you have to do then is just reduce his HP.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I restarted my 85h save today and began a completely new save.

Todays run: 24h
Group level ~70
@Archades
All hunts (so far, done)

God bless x6 Seitengrat and pure knowledge of the game. In one day, I've pretty much managed to be as effiecent as I was in my last run's 85h.

Started dozing of in Tchita Uplands so that's my call.

Just got to
Bhujerba
and i'm having trouble using Gambits effectively. I've followed the guide from the first post and have gone for

Vaan - Shikari
Balthier - Machinist
Fran - Red Mage
Basch - Uhlan

Looking at all the available gambits to buy and I have no idea where to start. All I have at the moment is a set up where Vaan steals from enemies with 100% and a few attack/heal commands for simple battles. Are there good early game builds I can start aiming for on the License Board so I can using the gambits creatively?

Coming up on the end of the game now. It'll be my first time finishing it, and I enjoyed it tremendously, but there's definitely some weirdness going on with the story. I don't think a lot of things were explained very well. Anything involving nethicite and the Mist gets very muddled for me. While the script styling being so literary is a very cool choice, interactions feel stilted and unnatural a lot. Additionally, I don't feel a sense of what really binds these characters together as a whole. Vaan and Penello feel completely superfluous to everything going on and I'm still not entirely sure about the nature of Fran and Balthier's relationship. Initially, I thought the ambiguity intentional, but now I'm not sure.

I get now why it was so divisive on release. It's very different and undeniably flawed in a lot of ways. But there's something compelling about it that carries you through and makes the ride enjoyable like very few other games can.
Now that I'm saying it, it reminds me a lot of FFXV...

Glad I picked it up. Probably will end up being in the top 5 of my Final Fantasy rankings.

I agree -- it reminds me in many ways of XIII and XV, where there were major issues w/ story pacing, but the moment to moment gameplay, and the build and interplay of systems stayed interesting. XII has the benefit of being a really great dungeon-crawler/explorer game, where XIII and XV fall flat on that front. I think that gives XII the edge, in that you feel like you're going on an epic journey due to gameplay pacing and exploration, even if the narrative pacing and character integration in that journey is poor.

I don't blame the translation though. It is indeed stilted at times (Shakespeare this is not -
- though I'll give them a pass just in that it must have been hard to squeeze flowery faux-Elizabethan translations into the space afforded by the original script and scene pacing), but it conveys what it needs to effectively. It's just parceled out in artlessly paced blobs that grow increasingly sparse and formulaic as the game progresses.

Just got to
Bhujerba
and i'm having trouble using Gambits effectively. I've followed the guide from the first post and have gone for

Vaan - Shikari
Balthier - Machinist
Fran - Red Mage
Basch - Uhlan

Looking at all the available gambits to buy and I have no idea where to start. All I have at the moment is a set up where Vaan steals from enemies with 100% and a few attack/heal commands for simple battles. Are there good early game builds I can start aiming for on the License Board so I can using the gambits creatively?

Early on, you mostly just want to add elemental weakness gambits on your casters, healing items for stuff you can't cure with magic on everyone, and the steal gambit of course.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So I restarted my 85h save today and began a completely new save.

Todays run: 24h
Group level ~70
@Archades
All hunts (so far, done)

God bless x6 Seitengrat and pure knowledge of the game. In one day, I've pretty much managed to be as effiecent as I was in my last run's 85h.

Started dozing of in Tchita Uplands so that's my call.

Wait ... you played 24 hrs straight ? :eek:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait ... you played 24 hrs straight ? :eek:
Not uncommon for me, as some people here know ._. I had a 34h session the second day I played the game (on my last save).

Balphon

Any advice on who to assign which Esper?

Does it matter?

Short answer is whoever gets the best unlocks from it. It will vary depending on the job combinations you have; some will allow you to get things behind Esper locks without unlocking the Esper (e.g. one of the reasons Black Mage/Monk is popular is it allows you to get all 3 Swiftness licenses on Monk without Ultima).

If you want the best options in the abstract, I'd say:

Belias: Knight
Mateus: Knight
Adrammelech: Time Mage
Zalera: Shikari or Time Mage
Cuchulainn: Red Mage or Shikari
Exodus: Bushi or Machinist
Zeromus: Red Mage or Time Mage
Chaos: Monk
Shemhazai: Red Mage or Archer
Hashmal: Knight
Famfrit: Machinist
Ultima: Monk or Foebreaker
Zodiark: Bushi

Other considerations are spreading them out so everyone can summon, but that's probably less important.

Lightning

Banned
Short answer is whoever gets the best unlocks from it. It will vary depending on the job combinations you have; some will allow you to get things behind Esper locks without unlocking the Esper (e.g. one of the reasons Black Mage/Monk is popular is it allows you to get all 3 Swiftness licenses on Monk without Ultima).

Other considerations are spreading them out so everyone can summon, but that's probably less important.
It depends on combinations, it really does.

Example Monk/Black Mage combo does not need Ultima cause Black Mage gets the 50 Swiftness, which once activated on BM allows for the 80lp one to be activated on Monk without the need of Ultima.

Knight/Bushi - Knight gets all the heavy armors therefore Bushi does not need Zodiark.

It's one of those things where the player has to take a look for a minute themselves before activating the Esper to see what it unlocks and for who.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not uncommon for me, as some people here know ._. I had a 34h session the second day I played the game (on my last save).

Be careful, people die doing that.

Yeah, seriously.I know I'm no one to tell you this but damn .. that's a dangerous habit.

Also .. how the f are you at lv 70 at just 24 hrs .. unless you're constantly in 4x turbo mode .. those six super-bows probably helped a ton.

Mcdohl

And should I distribute among all party members? Are espers useful besides their unlocks?

This game can be complex
and I love that

Balphon

And should I distribute among all party members? Are espers useful besides their unlocks?

This game can be complex
and I love that

It wouldn't be a bad idea to spread Espers around. They were buffed pretty substantially and can be controlled directly now. Summoning is a good option in a lot of situations all the way through the game.

MogCakes

I use my esper ults pretty much immediately after summoning them because everything will target the sole party member and it sucks seeing Belias peace out just as I select its ult move.

SkylineRKR

Where do you get the arrows?

You can make them, which I recently did for my Dhanusha (I don't use Seitengrat). You'll need Mage Monographs and a few others as well prolly.

Get 2x Giant Serpentskin from Pythons in northeast Highwaste. Chain kill them.

3x Gemini gem, steal from those behemoth ish enemies in Ozmone plains.

2x Dorsal fin. Chain kill fishes in either Sochen cave or Nabreus (there is a loner one screen away from the teleport crystal), I just went for that one exclusively.

Sell at bazaar.

Demoskinos

I've got a bunch of measures for Blathier unlocked on his board where do I go to actually find and buy them so I can use them?

No merchant I have seen sells them so far for reference I am currently at
Mt Bur-Omisace

Meowster

I just realized I've played through almost the entire game, done every side quest except for the Monster Club, and haven't summoned a single Esper aside from Belias once. I really should give them a try lol.

Shahed

So the White Robes increase Holy potency. The Staff of the Magi does as well. Do they stack on top of each other or do I just get the benefit from one piece of gear? My Penelo doesn't need the extra Magic from both, so if they don't stack I can just leave the Whale Whisker on her.

Holy shit @ Necrophobe spam in the Great Crystal.

So. Fucking. Boring.
I literally just did that place. Having a gambit to use Scathe with 2+ enemies is so good there. I keep my Black Mage hasted and on Faith and since they also know Holy they just wreck everything as it spawns, and the MP regain is insane so they can keep spamming it. When you fight the Forbiddens a but later it's even mire useful

If I had to kill them one by one it would have drove me insane

SkylineRKR

I've got a bunch of measures for Blathier unlocked on his board where do I go to actually find and buy them so I can use them?

No merchant I have seen sells them so far for reference I am currently at
Mt Bur-Omisace

Measures are worthless. I found the best one in Cerobi Steppe, but I stay away from that crap.

Netto-kun

When you spend xx minutes reentering the same doors getting these chests to spawn rather than going for the easier (and faster?) options...
DFsOkoHW0AIFPvb.jpg:orig
DFsOqvmWsAEraPf.jpg:orig

Atlantis

So the White Robes increase Holy potency. The Staff of the Magi does as well. Do they stack on top of each other or do I just get the benefit from one piece of gear? My Penelo doesn't need the extra Magic from both, so if they don't stack I can just leave the Whale Whisker on her.

They don't stack.

ss_lemonade

Man .. just wanna chime in and mention how AMAZING the game's localization effort is. The Final Fantasy series hasn't come anywhere close since.

Every scene is out of a Shakespearean play.

I'm one of the weird ones who read and voice out character dialogue while playing. I think it helps improve my english. It bothers me though how I can't seem to pronounce the word "nethicite". It just doesn't roll off the tongue well for me

Frillen

I've never played this games, but how annoying is that the none active party members don't receive EXP? How do you guys play it, do you change out party members constantly to keep everyone at the same level?

Dunan

Bought the OST Blu-ray and it's bringing back so many good memories. My copy arrives later today; can't wait to play this again!

Am I correct that the game has multiple languages on it and lets you select the one you want, as in FFXV? Or that it chooses based on your system language? EIther is fine with me, but I'm getting the Japanese version and absolutely want to play this game in English; its translation is perhaps the best ever done for any game, with the Tactics Ogre remake maybe being a close second. I was bowled over again and again by how beautiful the English was while still remaining true to the Japanese original. So much more flavor.

BTW, if anybody is interested, I preordered the Ultimania -- a fat monster of a guidebook; it must weigh a kilogram and a half -- but am now thinking I want to go in totally blind and just enjoy things. If anybody wants it, I will gladly sell it at exact cost plus exact shipping. Otherwise I'll eBay it.

SMK

I just realized I've played through almost the entire game, done every side quest except for the Monster Club, and haven't summoned a single Esper aside from Belias once. I really should give them a try lol.

I'm in the same exact boat! It's wierd really, because I use quickenings like crazy.

Rpgmonkey

Black Mage+Monk makes for a pretty self-sufficient character. Without Monk Penelo would have been kinda meh outside of black magic but now she can access a lot of the high level white magic too, and while she's far from the best melee fighter in my group, having poles make her capable enough.

Not sure how I feel about that. I liked the FFI or traditional MMO-inspired approach in the original International version, where you picked one job early on that gave a character somewhat rigid functionality, and you had to rely on other party members to make up for a job's shortcomings. The additional job makes it feel more like later job systems where individual characters can become much more flexible and self-sufficient over time as you start melding the bonuses and abilities of jobs together. Not that that isn't fun (FFV is my favorite FF and I've enjoyed playing pretty much every FF that has used a job system), but it feels a little divergent from (my perception of) the original intent.

Another interesting direction would have been making them separate jobs that you can swap between and can only have one license board active at a time, maybe with stuff like Quickenings and Accesory licenses being preserved across boards.

Bought the OST Blu-ray and it's bringing back so many good memories. My copy arrives later today; can't wait to play this again!

Am I correct that the game has multiple languages on it and lets you select the one you want, as in FFXV? Or that it chooses based on your system language? EIther is fine with me, but I'm getting the Japanese version and absolutely want to play this game in English; its translation is perhaps the best ever done for any game, with the Tactics Ogre remake maybe being a close second. I was bowled over again and again by how beautiful the English was while still remaining true to the Japanese original. So much more flavor.

BTW, if anybody is interested, I preordered the Ultimania -- a fat monster of a guidebook; it must weigh a kilogram and a half -- but am now thinking I want to go in totally blind and just enjoy things. If anybody wants it, I will gladly sell it at exact cost plus exact shipping. Otherwise I'll eBay it.

It uses your system language.

Zalera is kicking my ass. Does he ever stop chaining kill? There's no time for me to do anything. Doesn't help that he's immune to everything so a lot of my weapons don't work. I really don't want to have to walk back out of this God forsaken area.

Dunan

It uses your system language.

Thanks for that; not as great as FFXV's multilingual bliss, but futzing with your system language is no big deal. I'll probably be wanting to play this game in two other languages after I play it in English.

And... wait, you can have two jobs now? :O

Something I'm still not clear on; if I have a weapon with an elemental association, does it do additional elemental damage with each attack or does it boost only a specific elemental attack like from magic, or does it do both?

Bush/Knight also gets the Exclaibur with White Robes/Genji Gloves. Just destroys late enemies in Henne Mines, Great Crystal, Pharos Subterra, Lushu Mines end game areas while also destroying Zodiark and Hell Wyrm. Not so useful against Yiazmat and Omega Mark but man the damage against everything else.
Yeah that's one thing I'm missing. I loved that in the OG but I just had trouble fitting it with my combos. I still got Holy Lance + White Robes instead, and the bonus is you can get Holy Lance pre-Giruvegan so can use it a fair bit early vs undead in the story. But yeah, was always one of my fave combos and if I ever make a new 'main' file it will probably because of that haha.

Story question! Big spoiler.

Did Vayne kill the emperor with the emperor's knowledge? Their previous conversation made it sound like they were in on something together. And the emperor asked Vayne if he would bloody his hands to keep "his" clean...his being Larsa, I would assume? Vayne replied that he might as well because his hands are already bloody. Then in the very next scene, where the emperor is dead, it ends with Vayne putting emperor's hands back in his lap and stating "House Solidor will live on" or something. So I assume they were in on this together to take control away from the senate...?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Got my plat after about 60 hours total and no regrets. Granted most of that was spent at 2x and 4x.

Level 100 trial is easily one of the best fights of the series, even if you breeze through to level 99 you'll likely struggle for a while with 100. The first 15 seconds or so are extremely crucial to setting up the fight and anyone who has relied on sheer brute force to get through other tough fights is going to be in for a reality check. The four stat lowering techniks are a godsend for a lot of the end game stuff so don't pass up on foebreaker even if it looks boring for most of the game. I mentioned it earlier in this thread but will reiterate that in the interest of time and efficiency it's probably worth clearing some of the rare game with a guide available while going through the story due to some of the complicated requirements prompting them to spawn, some have good loot to steal/drop for the bazaar and one shotting the majority of them after you've cleared everything else isn't great fun. You don't need to get the bonus pages, killing a monster once is enough.

Cartographer might give people some trouble but you only have to step in every area and not actually fill out the map completely. Bahamut and great crystal don't count.

For the concurrence trophy I had to get dark hole twice for it to count, not sure what gives.

Here's to hoping for another Ivalice game. FFXII has so much potential and just barely misses true greatness in a few areas so I'd love to see another shot at it. Overall probably my favorite of the series and definitely near the top of the RPG genre for me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Story question! Big spoiler.

Did Vayne kill the emperor with the emperor's knowledge? Their previous conversation made it sound like they were in on something together. And the emperor asked Vayne if he would bloody his hands to keep "his" clean...his being Larsa, I would assume? Vayne replied that he might as well because his hands are already bloody. Then in the very next scene, where the emperor is dead, it ends with Vayne putting emperor's hands back in his lap and stating "House Solidor will live on" or something. So I assume they were in on this together to take control away from the senate...?
I would say the intention is absolutely that
the Emperor knew what Vayne was hinting at. He condoned his own murder as a way to create a crisis situation that will wrestle power away from the council and put unquestionable control in the hands of House Solidor.

Jeels

I'm in my late 50's. Where do you guys recommend I level up? The necrohol of nabudis is killing me not because of enemies but because of traps and idk where to get float.

I would say the intention is absolutely that
the Emperor knew what Vayne was hinting at. He condoned his own murder as a way to create a crisis situation that will wrestle power away from the council and put unquestionable control in the hands of House Solidor.
This is only my second playthrough, but that went right over my head when I played this when it first came out. This game is much better than I remembered.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is only my second playthrough, but that went right over my head when I played this when it first came out. This game is much better than I remembered.
I'm not sure that I caught it the first time either. I forgot it over the decade, if so.

Mumei

So, I was just trying to steal a [it's a monster you hunt]
Wyvern Wing from the Wyvern Lord
, but every time I've gone in to confront him, I've stolen some other, more common, item and been told that there were no more items.

What gives?

Also, current jobs and plans:

Vaan: Shikari + Red Battlemage
Penelo: Black Mage + Time Battlemage
Balthier: Uhlan + Bushi
Fran: Machinist + Breaker
Basch: Knight + Monk
Ashe: White Mage + Archer

Should I change anything? I'm rather attached to the idea of Vaan as Shikari + Red Mage, but I am up for suggestions on anything else.

Atlantis

So, I was just trying to steal a [it's a monster you hunt]
Wyvern Wing from the Wyvern Lord
, but every time I've gone in to confront him, I've stolen some other, more common, item and been told that there were no more items.

What gives?

Monsters have multiple items you can potentially steal, some rarer than others. You can only steal from a monster one time. For the specific item/monster you mentioned, you have a 3% of getting it from a successful steal.

Top Bottom