• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

TLS Lex

I regret buying the Prima guide, it's trash. So much info is absent, poorly explained, or just wrong.

Prima guides are almost always trash. It's a shame, they we didn't get a new one from Piggyback. Their old one for the Vanilla game is still fantastic.

Confirmed, Prima/ Bradygames guides are trash and live a life of trash. I feel bad belittling the work of those who spent the time writing them, but they often contain massive oversights, like for example in the original XII guide not telling you to avoid certain chests for the Zodiac Spear. And being unable to complete X-2 100% while following their 100% guide.

Piggyback guides for FF are particularly stellar, but they only do main series titles (beginning with VIII) and direct sequels (like X-2, XIII-2 and LR etc.). I can only assume Piggyback cost more for SE so they cheap out when it comes to spin-offs and remasters which is a huge shame.

It's not just the erroneous content that's a problem with the Prima guides though, it's the way they're written. The walkthrough for TZA explains the story in spoilerific detail. Someone using a guide is using it so they know about missables or when to do certain quests or whatever, not so they can read "and then X thing happens to this person" while they're literally watching it happen in game. Why, just why.

zsF4ZY0.jpg

What a ride!

Brakke

Banned
I actually just started the trek to Archades myself. Played a couple hours this morning. This is easily my favorite part so far lol. I have several Hunts active, spaces are huge, and a bunch of areas just got bridged by new routes. Into it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I just got Ashe in my party and made her a white mage. I have shell and protect set for ally's via gambits, but how do I make it so she just doesn't keep casting it all the time on them, only when it wears off? Is that possible?

I just got Ashe in my party and made her a white mage. I have shell and protect set for ally's via gambits, but how do I make it so she just doesn't keep casting it all the time on them, only when it wears off? Is that possible?
It's automatic... Any Gambit that is Ally -> Effect (whether it's add or remove an effect via an Item/Spell), it only used when it's needed. Protect, Regen, Echo Herbs, Remedy, Esuna, etc.

SkylineRKR

She should only cast it once until it wears off? They never do buffs more than once on the same character, this also goes for Vox, Poisona etc.

The system is pretty good save for some targeting and stealing. When I want to Self: blind and Sight unseeing: nearest Foe and Foe HP Critical: Poach this works, and when I forget to turn heals off the healer will instantly take the blind effect away. This is pretty funny if you let them go at it.

some jobs have remedy lore license that cures disease and the white magic spell cleanse is in a chest in the cerobi steppe.

I'd almost suggest getting the ribbons out of Henne and Pharos before spending a ton of time in the optional great crystal areas. Or get used to wasting a lot of time esuna/cleansing people.

Spent an hour looking for it in the mentioned place in the wiki but no luck.

Atlantis

Adrammelech really shouldn't be that hard after you get Blizzara. Just Disable the undead, cast Slow on Adra and spam Blizzara. The key really is to spam Slow on him as otherwise his critical health Thundaja spam might be too much.

Slow in general is a good spell because it seems to work against like 99% of bosses. And it has good base accuracy.

What a coincidence that the Glacial Staff becomes available at the same time. :p

Though that's two or three equipment "tiers" (going by shops) after Adrammelech is available for the first time, so of course he'd be a little easy at that point.

purg3

slept with Malkin
It's automatic... Any Gambit that is Ally -> Effect (whether it's add or remove an effect via an Item/Spell), it only used when it's needed. Protect, Regen, Echo Herbs, Remedy, Esuna, etc.

I'm dumb I had both shell and protect and it made it seem like she was casting them all the time which was killing her MP

ZangBa

It's sort of an equalizing factor I guess... A lot of the big tank-sized-HP bosses you'd use it on also have ways of negating your stats.

So, they get Null-Evasion which makes your Main Gauche and all your shield evasion useless; so, you get Expose to make their DEF useless ;p

Yeah, I wish these abilities were more reasonably acquired through normal play, because I went through most of the content without them already. Getting comboed and one shot with status effects running amok on my party for several hunts + damage immunity of course.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man .. just wanna chime in and mention how AMAZING the game's localization effort is. The Final Fantasy series hasn't come anywhere close since.

Every scene is out of a Shakespearean play.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Urgh, can't seem to spawn the chance encounter enemies like the Bull Chocobo. I exit to Nam-Yensa then back to Ogir-Yensa but I still haven't encountered that 40% chance after so many tries. Any tips?

Dumb question, but google fails me.

Is there a chest guide for the diamond armlet? I know most chests turn into knot of rust, but I can't find anything the lists which areas it should be worn in.

Isotropy

Is there a chest guide for the diamond armlet? I know most chests turn into knot of rust, but I can't find anything the lists which areas it should be worn in.

Are the chests the same as the IZJS version? If so, any treasure guide for IZJS on Gamefaqs should have you covered.

Jolkien

Urgh, can't seem to spawn the chance encounter enemies like the Bull Chocobo. I exit to Nam-Yensa then back to Ogir-Yensa but I still haven't encountered that 40% chance after so many tries. Any tips?

Spam entering and exiting the zone back to back like 10, 20 times. Once it spawns it'll stay spawned in until killed.

Are the chests the same as the IZJS version? If so, any treasure guide for IZJS on Gamefaqs should have you covered.

Most chest content have changed in this version.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Spam entering and exiting the zone back to back like 10, 20 times. Once it spawns it'll stay spawned in until killed.

Am I fully required to exit Ogid-Yensa (so I go to Nam-Yensa) or do I just change screens at the same area (change area of Ogid-Yensa)?

there's one in the very first trial (in one of 2 chests available). make it through the first 10 trials, then save, then load that save in your game, & you'll have it...

there's one in the very first trial (in one of 2 chests available). make it through the first 10 trials, then save, then load that save in your game, & you'll have it...

Sorry, I was not clear. I have the armlet already. I just do not know where it should be used to switch chests to the better loot table.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware

You actually only have to finish your current floor in Trials.
It'll auto-save after every floor, and you can load THAT save back into the main campaign.
You don't need to wait until you make a manual, hard-save.

All right I have 6 Seitengrat, 6 Gendarme and 6 Great Trango, I can go sleep now :p

Only got a handful of things to do now. Full bestiary, kill my last optional boss (Yiazmat), all Concurrences (ugh...) and finish the Trial mode.

Starting this up, here's what I'm thinking:

Vaan - Shikari / Red Mage
Balthier - Machinist / Uhlan
Basch - Bushi / Foebreaker
Ashe - Knight / White Mage
Penelo - Black Mage / Archer
Fran - Monk / Time Mage

Beat the game all those years ago, can't wait to give it another shot.

Mejilan

Do we know for sure if there are missable trophies?
I found some pages saying there "might" be missable trophies, but not 100% sure.

Pretty sure the answer to this is "no."
I think the only real concern was filling out the maps of one-time locations you can never return to, but from what I've read, none of those actually count for the trophy.

I think the only real concern was filling out the maps of one-time locations you can never return to, but from what I've read, none of those actually count for the trophy.

Thanks! So I can play without a guide and don't have to worry about missing trophies.

Mejilan

Thanks! So I can play without a guide and don't have to worry about missing trophies.

That's what I'm doing, while shooting for the platinum myself.
I figure we'll need to hit up a guide to make sure we fill in the full bestiary.
But that should be about the worst of it, from what I've gathered.
And I don't think I'll bother with that until I hope up the hunt club later in the game.

Alucrid

Banned

that's probably true since i got the map trophy before even setting foot in the last area

Corsick

Do dedicated magic damage dealers (black mages) work well? It seems like auto attacks are the best, I barely use Techniks besides steal. I always go 2 melee attackers + 1 dedicated healer. Now that I have Seitengrat I pretty much broke the game though.

Jeels

What level should I be before attempting some of these optional espers? The one in the sewers is absolutely wrecking me.

Finally decided on the classes I'm gonna use
Vaan- Knighti/Bushi
Balthier- Shikari/Foebreaker
Basch-Machinist/Uhlan
Fran-Black Mage/Monk
Ashe-Red Mage/Archer
Penelo-White mage/Time Mage

What do you guys think? I wanted to use every class in the end.

I see Bushi/Monk suggested a lot, is Bushi/Knight comparable DPS wise? Mainly I just want to use all the jobs and don't wanna double up on Monk. Also I don't want the cool swords to go to waste.

Tanis

I see Bushi/Monk suggested a lot, is Bushi/Knight comparable DPS wise? Mainly I just want to use all the jobs and don't wanna double up on Monk. Also I don't want the cool swords to go to waste.

Bushi/Knight is very synergistic. You get to use strength boosting heavy armors with katanas, and you get magic lores from bushi to boost the knight's healing spells.

Atlantis

Since you're using every job, with Bushi / Monk you're going to have two of the strongest weapons in the game only available to one character.

You're also locked out of Heavy Armor until almost the entire game is behind you.

What level should I be before attempting some of these optional espers? The one in the sewers is absolutely wrecking me.

I was in the mid-to-high 30s when I started taking them on. So I waited a while after they became available. But levels are only part of the equation. Extra gear and spells from either raiding side areas or advancing the story can make a big difference.

Tanis

If I ever play through this again I'm definitely only picking one job per character. I kind of wish I had done that for this run. As fun as it is coming up with powerful combinations of jobs it dilutes the original premise of the system.

Havok1313

Do we know for sure if there are missable trophies?
I found some pages saying there "might" be missable trophies, but not 100% sure.

There is a trophy for learning all of the magicks, so if you don't have a red mage you can't learn any dark magick. Unless you only need to buy the spells to get the trophy and not actually get the license on anyone.

There is a trophy for learning all of the magicks, so if you don't have a red mage you can't learn any dark magick. Unless you only need to buy the spells to get the trophy and not actually get the license on anyone.

I'm almost certain that you just need to have acquired the spell/technick/etc. No one has to be able to use it.

Ponn

Banned
Ha. When you go through a whole dungeon, defeat a powerful esper and get a meaningful cutscene only to realize you already got a sword of kings days ago from stealing it from a Malicant in the Zertinian caves. I guess its not that special of a sword eh? I got two now!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
My Van is a Shikari, and like many I'm stuck trying to decide between which Quickenings to unlock. Between Nina Swords 1, 2, 3 and Yagya Darkblade/Mess, what should I get?

Atlantis

Do dedicated magic damage dealers (black mages) work well? It seems like auto attacks are the best, I barely use Techniks besides steal. I always go 2 melee attackers + 1 dedicated healer. Now that I have Seitengrat I pretty much broke the game though.

Black Mages are very powerful , but nothing is going to touch Seitengrat.

My Van is a Shikari, and like many I'm stuck trying to decide between which Quickenings to unlock. Between Nina Swords 1, 2, 3 and Yagya Darkblade/Mess, what should I get?

Yagyu is an obvious choice, but the other two depend on your other job and what other jobs you're using for your party. For example, my Shikari's second job is Red Battlemage so I got Ninja Swords 1 because it also gives me Vox and Poisona. I don't have an Archer so I took Ninja Swords 3 so I could hit Earth-weaknesses.

Saven

Banned
Hmmm....don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but has anyone got scratchy audio at the
Draklor Laboratories?
As soon as I got here, the music and cutscene voices start going in and out. I thought it might've been a faulty disc, but it appears that some people on GameFAQs had this issue as well.

Jolkien

Hmmm....don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but has anyone got scratchy audio at the
Draklor Laboratories?
As soon as I got here, the music and cutscene voices start going in and out. I thought it might've been a faulty disc, but it appears that some people on GameFAQs had this issue as well.

I have the digital version and it happened, rebooted my PS4 fixed it. Not standby, a full reboot.

There's no real endgame DPS difference. They have the same DPS Augments and they'll both easily hit 99 STR for Masamune I. Biggest differences are:

In regards to DPS, probably 'staying alive' means more DPS, so:
- BSH/KNI big Magic EVA advantage (Zodiac Esc. + Shield Block 3) makes a Critical HP (Adrenaline) BSH easier to keep alive.... Technically, you have an even bigger EVA advantage but most hard bosses ignore your EVA as if it were 0
- BSH/MNK in theory would have more HP without Bubble (since BSH/KNI needs to wear pure STR armor; BSH/MNK can hit 99 STR with 1 piece of Light Armor for HP) but Bubble kinda nullifies this advantage

Stat wise:
- BSH/MNK has better late game STR/MAG pre-Masamune I because of the extra Battle Lores
- BSH/KNI has better STR/MAG growth early on because early-mid Heavy Armor usually has more STR than Mystic Armor has MAG (1 MAG very slighty > 1 STR but for most of the story choosing between the two armor types will probably be a a few more STR than MAG)
- Only BSH/MNK can hit 99 STR/99MAG... BSH/KNI will miss slightly except on Ashe maaaaybe Vaan. Basch and Balthier miss though. However, since Masamune I uses just STR it's kinda symbolic (I mean it's still nice for your KNI or MNK heals but you're BSH is probably Berserked anyhow)

BSH/KNI is better IMO for the extra Magic EVA, but it's pretty marginal. As long as you got 99 STR and Adrenaline, you're good to go. I personally still went BSH/MNK just because I had nowhere else to put MNK (but I needed Whale Whisker with a Genji-user) and I already had 2 KNIs anyhow (and all 3 of my main characters use shields and I wanted the 2 characters to use Zodiac Escs. that I got without using Trials to get a 3rd -- no Trials items on my main file). But if I was designing a perfect 3-man party, I'd have given the edge to BSH/KNI so I could give him a Zodiac Esc. with Shield Block 3. I think it's worth it to help a Critical HP or Full HP BSH stay there a little more consistently.

Which Esper do I need to gain access to the Ninja Swords 2 license on the Shikari board (Vaan)? I've got an Iga Blade but can't use the damn thing.

Top Bottom