• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Vashetti

Banned
Using Wither, etc., do I need to apply them all over again to Yiazmat if I run out of the area and back in?

Edit: woo Yiazmat down!

I envy anyone who does that fight without speeding it up.

WarAdept

I'm looking at the Shikari board and all 4 quickening panels block something off.

Is there anything special about Ninja Swords 1 licence that justifies it over Ninja Swords 2 and 3?

I'm looking at the Shikari board and all 4 quickening panels block something off.

Is there anything special about Ninja Swords 1 licence that justifies it over Ninja Swords 2 and 3?
NS1 swords are available usually about a few hours sooner and with less effort, NS2 and NS3 can be fairly similar in practice depending on how you use them, NS1 makes 4 swords available instead of 1 sword as NS2 and NS3 do, and NS1 features swords with debuffs which the other 3 licenses do not.

We've had some big discussions on the values of the debuffs versus elements of sub-ultimate weapons and what role they could serve during both the story or endgame a few times on past pages if you want you're interested to look it up and read (e.g. Iga and Koga being the top weapons in the game for those elements versus those elements being not worthwhile), but storyline 'availability' and status effect 'type' are the gist of it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
all the sunlight must be distracting ashe because she hasn't been able to hit a damned thing with her crossbow since i got to phon coast

So I screwed myself out of getting Yagyu Darkblade. Is it even feasible that I can beat Yiazmat now? Really considering just starting from an earlier save, but the last one that I can use is from like 10 hours ago.

kromeo

So I screwed myself out of getting Yagyu Darkblade. Is it even feasible that I can beat Yiazmat now? Really considering just starting from an earlier save, but the last one that I can use is from like 10 hours ago.

You can still beat him just fine, just takes a bit longer. It's not a huge loss, there's so few holy enemies in the game

demonkaze

Is there any suggestions for what I can do as I feel a bit underpowered. I've just done the Jahara segment and got a new guest member again and I want to take on the optional dungeons and espers but I'm only Lv27 and the enemies are wrecking me in the caves there.

You can still beat him just fine, just takes a bit longer. It's not a huge loss, there's so few holy enemies in the game

What changes did they make to the Zodiac version of him?

That's good it to hear cuz I literally almost threw my PS4 out of the window once I realized what I did.

kromeo

Is there any suggestions for what I can do as I feel a bit underpowered. I've just done the Jahara segment and got a new guest member again and I want to take on the optional dungeons and espers but I'm only Lv27 and the enemies are wrecking me in the caves there.

I'd say you're already overlevelled for that part of the game, I'd wait until after Stillshrine to go after the espers personally

Maledict

Personally feel like I'm doing something wrong in combat, even though I'm loving the game. I just beat my first optional esper, Cuchulain, at level 38. Mostly by spamming bubble, swapping to black belts, and chain casting the highest level heal with a sages ring. These things seem really hard at this stage (although a huge amount of fun).

Also re quickening, the highest I can get is 11 or so hits - do you need to get all the different effects for the platinum trophy? Because I have no idea how I would ever get the finisher effect which requires 4 of each level quickening...

Rad-

I was wondering when is the soonest I can get Sages Rings and Thief Cuffs?

Earliest Sage Ring I think is when you unlock those magic barriers near Fran's village. Go south and when you enter a new map area, go left and you should find an entrance to Hennes Mines. There are three level 65 bats guarding a Sage Ring. Just Disable them and get the ring.

Jennipeg

I've managed to get to the Feywood without deciding on Espers, and I think I need to use Belias in a minute. Is there a guide on who gets what?

My setup is

Vaan - Foebreaker/Shikari
Ashe - Knight/Time Mage - I've given her Mateus
Basch - Uhlan/Bushi
Balthier - White Mage/Machinist
Fran - Archer/Red Mage
Penelo - Black Mage/Monk - I think i'll be giving her Chaos

Thanks in advance.

kromeo

I've managed to get to the Feywood without deciding on Espers, and I think I need to use Belias in a minute. Is there a guide on who gets what?

My setup is

Basch - Uhlan/Bushi
Fran - Archer/Red Mage

Thanks in advance.

Belias is normally best to give to knight for potion lore, unless time mage already has them

Had a dream about FFXII last night. There was a hidden cutscene with a young Balthier having a big blue horn on his head (like Eiko from FFIX) cut off by Cid in order to hide his true origins from the Empire. This lead to a lot of crazy theories on the internet about Ivalice being connected to FFIX and calling it the Bunansa Eiko Theory. It was a weird dream lol.

Shahed

My setup is

Basch - Uhlan/Bushi
Fran - Archer/Red Mage

Thanks in advance.
That's pretty much my setup. Belias doesn't really matter that much. Easiest thing to do is look at each license board and see what's unlocked. Some of the key ones off the top of my head

Give Ashe Mateus, Hashmal and Ultima. Unlocks key White Magic, Telekinesis and some Battle Lore
Give Penelo Chaos. Protectga/Shellga/Holy
Give
For Famfrit I was torn. Hastega on Balthier, or Arise on Penelo. I went with Balthier for Haste, but you could go other way.
Similar with Adrammelech. Battle Lore's for Vaan, or Cura/Raise on Ashe. I went Battle Lores, but if I could make the choice again I'd switch for the extra Raise sinnce in my party only Balthier can do it
Chuchulainn to Fran. Unlocks the Blizzaga/Firaga/Thundaga

Can't remember much more tbh

Jennipeg

Belias is normally best to give to knight for potion lore, unless time mage already has them

That's pretty much my setup. Belias doesn't really matter that much. Easiest thing to do is look at each license board and see what's unlocked. Some of the key ones off the top of my head

Give Ashe Mateus, Hashmal and Ultima. Unlocks key White Magic, Telekinesis and some Battle Lore
Give Penelo Chaos. Protectga/Shellga/Holy
Give
For Famfrit I was torn. Hastega on Balthier, or Arise on Penelo. I went with Balthier for Haste, but you could go other way.
Similar with Adrammelech. Battle Lore's for Vaan, or Cura/Raise on Ashe. I went Battle Lores, but if I could make the choice again I'd switch for the extra Raise sinnce in my party only Balthier can do it
Chuchulainn to Fran. Unlocks the Blizzaga/Firaga/Thundaga

Can't remember much more tbh

Thanks guys,

I'll be giving Famfrit to Balthier as well, and Shemhazai/Chuchulainn to Fran, Adrammelch to Ashe. Not really sure about the others. I'll just give Belias to Basch for now.

gatling

Bwuaa late to the party again. Been on a completionist roll this year to get the most out of my games. Finished Horizon and kind of excited and dreading attempting it on this.

I went in expecting the updated music would bother me like what they did with FFX, so I'm really pleased!

Was having a hard time deciding if I wanted to do a lore friendly play style. I might do the optimized/lore friendly and then do the game-breaking class combos on harder mode.

Anyone want the OST code from the steelbook.

Update: OST code has been taken.

kromeo

Bwuaa late to the party again. Been on a completionist roll this year to get the most out of my games. Finished Horizon and kind of excited and dreading attempting it on this.

I went in expecting the updated music would bother me like what they did with FFX, so I'm really pleased!

Was having a hard time deciding if I wanted to do a lore friendly play style. I might do the optimized/lore friendly and then do the game-breaking job combos on harder mode.

Anyone want a steelbook original OST code?

The music in this mostly keeps the tunes the same as the originals, just with better orchestration, X changed a lot of them too much for me

mrmickfran

I preordered the game on Amazon, and got an email for preorder DLC. I try to redeem my code, but it's 16 characters and the PSN Store only accepts 12 character codes?

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm in a bit of a gaming rut at the moment. I have £45 of PS+ credit and I'm looking at this...

One of my biggest issues with games these days is them not drawing me into their world. I don't mind if the writing and story etc... isn't the best, as long as the mechanics of the game and the world building are compelling.

I love games RPGs where grinding is fun because loot, or skills, or trading etc... is rewarding/fun to repeat over and over. I tried playing FFX again recently, but as I knew the story well and didn't have it pulling me forward the linear path felt too restrictive to keep my interest.

I love TW3 in terms of world building and story, but I don't enjoy the mechanics, which is making my second playthrough of the main game to get to the DLC which I haven;t played feel like a chore.

What I'm asking here in a needlessly convoluted way is how much fun is the core gameplay experience in your opinion, and is the world itself compelling/fun to move through and interact with?

EDIT: I'll add to the above, good characters are a pretty big draw for me too. I know the protag is regarded as quite poor by many, but how are the supporting cast?

I really wish they would have revamped the camera. I'm assuming the PS2's 16:9 version just cut off the top and bottom of the screen and zoomed in and that this is the same? I find it disorienting.

FinalAres

I'm in a bit of a gaming rut at the moment. I have £45 of PS+ credit and I'm looking at this...

One of my biggest issues with games these days is them not drawing me into their world. I don't mind if the writing and story etc... isn't the best, as long as the mechanics of the game and the world building are compelling.

I love games RPGs where grinding is fun because loot, or skills, or trading etc... is rewarding/fun to repeat over and over. I tried playing FFX again recently, but as I knew the story well and didn't have it pulling me forward the linear path felt too restrictive to keep my interest.

I love TW3 in terms of world building and story, but I don't enjoy the mechanics, which is making my second playthrough of the main game to get to the DLC which I haven;t played feel like a chore.

What I'm asking here in a needlessly convoluted way is how much fun is the core gameplay experience in your opinion, and is the world itself compelling/fun to move through and interact with?

EDIT: I'll add to the above, good characters are a pretty big draw for me too. I know the protag is regarded as quite poor by many, but how are the supporting cast?
The world is definitely compelling and interesting. Ivalice is just beautiful. There's loads to explore, the design is great, it's just gorgeous.

For me grinding is amazingly fun but not because it's complex, but because it's ultra chill. Set up your gambits, set the speed to 4X and move through the world gradually exploring. It's no Zelda but there's definite satisfaction in filling out the maps without putting too much effort in. Stick on a podcast, or a film in the background. Bliss.

That's the appeal of the game for me. I think you should go for it.

SkylineRKR

Yagyu is shit. Heals nearly every enemy in the game. It might be strong on Yiazmat, but its not like he can't be beaten without it.

But missing license 4 is sort of bad, I use Mesa almost exclusively on my Shikari.

Zakalwe

Banned
The world is definitely compelling and interesting. Ivalice is just beautiful. There's loads to explore, the design is great, it's just gorgeous.

For me grinding is amazingly fun but not because it's complex, but because it's ultra chill. Set up your gambits, set the speed to 4X and move through the world gradually exploring. It's no Zelda but there's definite satisfaction in filling out the maps without putting too much effort in. Stick on a podcast, or a film in the background. Bliss.

That's the appeal of the game for me. I think you should go for it.

This sounds very appealing. I really could use a game I can delve into in terms of stats and menu management but remains relaxing to play... you've almost convinced me....

-

Has anyone got a video they could show me they think might convince me to pull the trigger? I don't want to spoil things by hunting through a bunch of video content myself as I know very little about this FF, but I'd love to watch a short example of what makes this game so fun to you.

FinalAres

This sounds very appealing. I really could use a game I can delve into in terms of stats and menu management but remains relaxing to play... you've almost convinced me....

-

Has anyone got a video they could show me they think might convince me to pull the trigger? I don't want to spoil things by hunting through a bunch of video content myself as I know very little about this FF, but I'd love to watch a short example of what makes this game so fun to you.
Not got a video but in terms of menu management, you've got it. In addition to exp you get license points and fill out a sphere grid style chessboard that unlocks inate abilities, active abilities, licenses for weapons and the odd hp+ or actions minus 10%.

Plus you've got gambits management too, which is tweaking the rules youve set according to the situation. In truth I dont do this much, but others do.

Look up gambits and license board on YouTube if you want to see.

gatling

-

[URL="https://youtu.be/lTCNcIo8VwM?t=158"]https://youtu.be/lTCNcIo8VwM?t=158[/URL]

I just did a search for the first video that has gambits featured. I linked to the timeline that shows you clearly up front how it basically works (and well... its very verbose as per usual so I skipped some parts that may show too much). I think of it as scripting/subroutine. I love automating things and rearranging them for specific situations. If you like that sort of customization, it can be really fun during some parts of the game. You can sort of chill and wander with your setup if done correctly.

For later playthroughs, I kind of skip them for more challenge and though its not really hard ,you just to be attentive.

ST2K

Switch in a character that can use Wither and Expose.

Are those Technik effects permanent or temporary? I ask because my reserve party members are really under-levelled and having them be in my party during that fight for more than a hot second to inflict the status once would end poorly.

jimmypython

I only skimmed through the guide and honestly? Nothing new and interesting for me at least. I guess the recommended jobs for the characters can be useful for newcomers.

Balthier & Basch (the vanguard)
Archer, Bushi, Foebreaker, Monk, Shikari, kUhlan

Fran & Vaan (the middle guard)
Knight, Machinist, Red Battlemage, Time Battlemage, White Mage, Uhlan

Ashe & Penelo (the rear guard)
Black Mage, Red Battlemage, Time Battlemage, White Mage

The guide also lists a sample party that I can post later (late over here) if you are curious.

Oh nice! thanks for the info...

and my set up is no where near the recommended setting lol...

Zakalwe

Banned
[URL="https://youtu.be/lTCNcIo8VwM?t=158"]https://youtu.be/lTCNcIo8VwM?t=158[/URL]

I just did a search for the first video that has gambits featured. I linked to the timeline that shows you clearly up front how it basically works (and well... its very verbose as per usual so I skipped some parts that may show too much). I think of it as scripting/subroutine. I love automating things and rearranging them for specific situations. If you like that sort of customization, it can be really fun during some parts of the game. You can sort of chill and wander with your setup if done correctly.

For later playthroughs, I kind of skip them for more challenge and though its not really hard ,you just to be attentive.

This video and the replies here convinced me, downloading it now.

I remember using commands like this in Dragon Age: Origins and wishing the feature were implemented in more games, and this is obviously much more in-depth.

It also looks quite gorgeous for an older game, especially some of the enemy models.

Thanks for the push!

gatling

I remember using commands like this in Dragon Age: Origins and wishing the feature were implemented in more games, and this is obviously much more in-depth.

It also looks quite gorgeous for an older game, especially some of the enemy models.

Thanks for the push!

No prob! Have fun.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Are those Technik effects permanent or temporary? I ask because my reserve party members are really under-levelled and having them be in my party during that fight for more than a hot second to inflict the status once would end poorly.
Permanent. You can also stack multiple applications of the same one.

Haven't got there yet but I hear you can keep stacking wither on Yiazmat and have him doing like 200hp per hit when he attacks.

Cess007

Question: I'm rocking a party with Vaan as a Shikari/Foebreaker, but I've troubles with flying enemies as he can't hit them. I remember on Vanilla FF12 I just equipped him with a Spear and be done with that. But now, neither hammers nor Knives can hit flying enemies. Any kind of weapon for him that can hit flying monsters?

Thanks for the push!

I'm still amazed how well the game hold up visually.

Jolkien

Question: I'm rocking a party with Vaan as a Shikari/Foebreaker, but I've troubles with flying enemies as he can't hit them. I remember on Vanilla FF12 I just equipped him with a Spear and be done with that. But now, neither hammers nor Knives can hit flying enemies. Any kind of weapon for him that can hit flying monsters?

I'm still amazed how well the game hold up visually.

Nope he can't hurt flying ennemy without Telekinesis. It's a technique that makes your attack have range.

FinalAres

Thanks for the push!
Yeaaahh welcome to team FFXII. Also congrats on having great taste in albums (from your avatar).

Top Bottom