• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

So what's the consensus on Katana/Greatswords? Bushi/Knight combo obviously
Probably the best overall DPS combo: let's you combine the best DPS weapon with the best shield; let's you do fun stuff like combine a Holy sword with Holy robes; give the high MAG of BSH some great endgame support White Magic via KNI; helps BSH during the story since Mystic Armor is low on MAG until endgame whereas Heavy Armor gives a lot of STR early on. Only downside I guess is that until basically the last dungeon or so of the story, you're mostly just gonna be doing DPS, so if you want more of a hybrid something like MNK gives your White Magic healing (via Quickening 3) a touch sooner. But consensus is pretty much that BSH/KNI is A+ synergies and excelling at a group role (DPS).

Rpgmonkey

Done Omega and Trial Mode, so all that's left is the final boss and that about wraps up the game. Still one of the GOAT Final Fantasies IMO and actually rekindled my love for the series after several years of playing FF games and finding a lot of them boring or really lacking. Hopefully Ito's "secret project" is an FFV remake, FFXVI, or even a new IP, that takes a lot of the gameplay concepts of this game (Jobs, Gambits, ADB), and improves on them.

I wish something like Trial 100 actually happened in the game as the big mid-game boss battle or something. Maybe in place of one of the Cid fights. Even by FF standards the main storyline is pretty lacking in boss fights that really test your equipment and Gambit setups. It's a fun battle and I love that it's designed to be the game's ultimate Level/Gear/Gambit check and will be really difficult if you haven't completed just about all of the major mandatory and optional content in the main game and found a couple of the "secret" items that many won't accidentally find (Ribbons, Nihopalaoa, some of the rarer weapons and armor).

Moving on to Dragon Quest now so I'll have to put a New Game- run on hold for another time.

Kind of tricky too because Trials even add Bestiary entries, so checking that wouldn't work either.

That was a big reason why I never brought anything from Trials into my main game. That, and I also that I like the idea that there is only 1 of every ultimate item. Same with the doubles you get from Hunt Club or Cerobi Steppe (which I mostly attribute to QAL changes but perhaps not the original idea for the OG). Sort of arbitrary but my headcanon is there should only be 1 Genji Glove, 1 Zodiac Spear, et cetera. That said, really just arbitrary preference.

If I just arrived at the Ridorana Cataract, how much more main story content do I have time wise?

Also if my party is level 73 (Vaan) and 47-48 (everyone else), with full or nearly full license boards, should I be able to power through the rest with little or no difficulty at this point?

Pat_DC

Really enjoying replaying this, the x2 and x4 are amazing.
Gambit question, has anyone found any good gambit set ups for buffs?
Say a set up that applies protect? Just got it available for my whitemage and was wondering how to best set it up so if an alley doesn't have it applied it would get cast.

Vashetti

Banned
If I just arrived at the Ridorana Cataract, how much more main story content do I have time wise?

Also if my party is level 73 (Vaan) and 47-48 (everyone else), with full or nearly full license boards, should I be able to power through the rest with little or no difficulty at this point?

Main story, yes
Optional stuff, no

Zetta

Say a set up that applies protect? Just got it available for my whitemage and was wondering how to best set it up so if an alley doesn't have it applied it would get cast.

I believe having it on Self -> Protect covers everyone. I think that was how I have it but I can't check at this time.

Literally just:

Ally: Any -> Protect

The AI is smart enough to only cast it if it's not already applied.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished the story and around 90% of the hunts, will probably revisit later to see if I can do the remaining final few. Great ride through and through, really loved the remastering effort here with only downside being it not sporting a full 4K on the Pro.

I wish it was possible to derive all the great art pieces that run in the background of the credits, the only one which displays without any credits on top is the young Ashe with a chocobo which I promptly capped.

[z

finalfantasythezodiacr2uhe.png

finalfantasythezodiac8yuhn.png

Tiktaalik

Weirdly I get an error when I try to install/run this. I have 55 GB free and the box says I only need 41. Huh?

Anyone else have any issues like this?

Meowster

My only trophies remaining are Trial 100 and completing the bestiary.

All in all, I'm glad I decided to play the game normally for the most part and did all the hunts and superbosses without being too cheap. I waited to get the Seitengrat until I finally bested Yiazmat. Now I just hope to have the stamina to platinum the game. I got to floor 88 or something and got wiped by those pirates.

Jolkien

All in all, I'm glad I decided to play the game normally for the most part and did all the hunts and superbosses without being too cheap. I waited to get the Seitengrat until I finally bested Yiazmat. Now I just hope to have the stamina to platinum the game. I got to floor 88 or something and got wiped by those pirates.

These are pretty rough. If you want a hint:
Use Zodiark or Reverse

Holmes

Ergh I'm at the Judges in Trial Mode and stupid me ended the battle with Omega with a fully Reversed party. Hur.

I only tried once but I seem to have enough time to remove Reverse on my whole party before they all reach me, but by then they're already in my shit and I'm freaking out. Is Final Eclipse cheesing a viable strategy for taking down Ghis, Bergan and Drace?

Fuck those pirates seriously

Jolkien

Ergh I'm at the Judges in Trial Mode and stupid me ended the battle with Omega with a fully Reversed party. Hur.

I only tried once but I seem to have enough time to remove Reverse on my whole party before they all reach me, but by then they're already in my shit and I'm freaking out. Is Final Eclipse cheesing a viable strategy for taking down Ghis, Bergan and Drace?

Fuck those pirates seriously

Nihopaloa Remedy all of them vulnerable to multiple status element (it's especially important to use Disease so make sure you use someone with all the remedy lore to inflict it, they heal themselves with Elixirs). I just abused the hell out of Final Eclipse they just did way too much damage I couldn't keep my front line up. Make sure you kill Ghis then Drace, keep Zargabaath asleep the whole fight.

Am I just underleveled or are the bosses hard as shit? I just beat Mateus and used probably 15 Phoenix Downs. I was practically getting insta killed by all the adds until I managed to revive enough times to burn them down with thundara, and then the boss does this shit at low hp that completely fucks you up.

Before this it was the Elder Wyrm that spams AoE confuse and of course I only had a total of like 2 items that can remove confuse.

I'm about 24~25 avg level.

In other news, since when were ice enemies weak to thunder and not fire?

Jolkien

Level really don't do much besides raising your natural HP and MP. Gear make a significant difference in power, have you completed optional area, hunts etc ? They're a good source of gear. The two bosses you described died within a 60 seconds, but I was doing every optional thing I could before moving on.

MikeBison

Finished the game last night. Really good to play a game i never gave a chance back when it came out.

Story is decent but not great.
Characters are great. Balthier the obvious stand out.

Battle system is great and you're always tweaking and thinking about how to change it up. Doesn't lend itself too well to bosses though. They seem to lose a bit of that epic scale that turn based FFs have. 95% of bosses I ever even had to change my gambits and could still fight them on 2x without a problem. Nearly all bosses I just berserk/haste my highest damage dealer, Basch.

Summons are disappointing as most of the heavy hitters are made into airships. But the ones you do get, their ultimate abilities look awesome.

Exploration is great. Going into high level areas and playing smartly to great through them is super fun.

Job/licence system is goat. Like sphere grid but 10x better. Everyone has these strengths and defined roles within a group which feels awesome and then all of a sudden you get an esper and your knight-samurai Basch has curaga and is totally unstoppable.

Replayed FFX now as I bought the remaster on vita when it came out but only got to Shiva. Despite it being one of my favourite FF games. So still haven't completed it since I first had it on PS2.

I finally beat Yiazmat for the first time ever! The last thing I have left is the Trial Mode! It feels kind of strange, I've loved this game so much since it first came out, but now I've almost experienced all of it. I desperately want a new Ivalice game from SE

SkylineRKR

I actually had the Trango chest to spawn, after only a handful of enters. I tried my luck without RNG manipulation. 3 gil. But I tried lol.

Also, those dragons in Zertinan wtf. I want to make the best gun (its the only one I don't have yet, except for Axe which I don't use anyway), but those guys are harder than pretty much anything else in this game?

Kind of tricky too because Trials even add Bestiary entries, so checking that wouldn't work either.

That was a big reason why I never brought anything from Trials into my main game. That, and I also that I like the idea that there is only 1 of every ultimate item. Same with the doubles you get from Hunt Club or Cerobi Steppe (which I mostly attribute to QAL changes but perhaps not the original idea for the OG). Sort of arbitrary but my headcanon is there should only be 1 Genji Glove, 1 Zodiac Spear, et cetera. That said, really just arbitrary preference.

Yeah. I did everything with crafting so far. Karkata shouldn't have been available in stage 3. The rest is all much further down the line, requiring you to be end game leveled anyway. I regret using it, though its power isn't that high compared to other ultimates late game and confuse is nice but the AI mostly follows up negating it. I've switched to Simha long ago.

Burbeting

Banned
Can you get more 2X EXP accessories from anywhere? I have only one, but I'd want three so I could quickly grind my... less used characters (aka. my main team is lvl 60, and the others are... in their 20s).

MrDaravon

2 dumb equipment questions:

-For a Knight/Bushi do Katanas scale more on STR or MAG, and is that reflected on the actual stat screen when equiping katanas? So for example I can buy a 1H sword that gives me +1 ATK over the Katana I currently have, does that mean it will actually be a straight upgrade (ignoring combo potential of the weapons I suppose)? And if STR matters more than MAG should I just be going for heavy armor as well?

-For a Red Mage/Archer I should still be going bows right? My only other options seem to be maces which seem to not be good, and I'm assuming bows also keep my mage away safely? I had assumed I'd get Staffs or some sort of more "classic" magic weapon for this class but apparently not.

On a directly related note I'm not entirely sure how I should be using my red mage to be honestly; I keep a dedicated WM/TM with me typically, so I guess I should have her focus more on offensive magic/debuffs etc? In general I kind of struggle with wrapping my head around a lot of the classes since it seems like until late game the non-mage classes are just auto-battle really. I have the breaks and whatnot unlocked but I don't have any of them in-game yet so for example my Knight/Bushi and Shikari/Foebreaker have nothing practical to do other than auto-attack or use items/steal. It just feels weird.

SkylineRKR

Can you get more 2X EXP accessories from anywhere? I have only one, but I'd want three so I could quickly grind my... less used characters (aka. my main team is lvl 60, and the others are... in their 20s).

You can get an infinite amount if you poach Coeurls in the Uplands. Set a gambit with blind status: sight unseeing and with foe hp critical = poach.

There is a rare chest spawn in Feywood, Antiquity End which is the save point area. It spawns on the western side.

There is also one in the Sandsea I think, simoon bluff northernmost circle.

Jeels

Yes. There's one in a chest in feywood. And you can poach them from coeurls in the uplands.

2 dumb equipment questions:

-For a Knight/Bushi do Katanas scale more on STR or MAG, and is that reflected on the actual stat screen when equiping katanas? So for example I can buy a 1H sword that gives me +1 ATK over the Katana I currently have, does that mean it will actually be a straight upgrade (ignoring combo potential of the weapons I suppose)? And if STR matters more than MAG should I just be going for heavy armor as well?

Katanas scale with Strength far more than Magic, it isn't reflected on the stat screen because the stat screen only displays the weapon's Attack value, whereas Strength and Magic are used in the actual damage formula.

-For a Red Mage/Archer I should still be going bows right? My only other options seem to be maces which seem to not be good, and I'm assuming bows also keep my mage away safely? I had assumed I'd get Staffs or some sort of more "classic" magic weapon for this class but apparently not.

Bows tend to be good in FF12 because the early hunts throw powerful bows at you as rewards. Maces deal damage based on your MAG instead of STR, so that may come in handy at some point.

MrDaravon

Katanas scale with Strength far more than Magic, it isn't reflected on the stat screen because the stat screen only displays the weapon's Attack value, whereas Strength and Magic are used in the actual damage formula.

Bows tend to be good in FF12 because the early hunts throw powerful bows at you as rewards. Maces deal damage based on your MAG instead of STR, so that may come in handy at some point.

Hmm, so for the Bushi armor-wise going heavy armor is a better choice for the STR boost/tankiness, then in terms of weapons if a 1H sword is only a couple of points better on the equip screen than a katana it's probably not actually better?

Platinum achieved.

Can't get the Order of Ambrosia rank to appear even though I should have done everything required for it...
I'll try to get a Luminescence concurrence in the normal game still because I may have gotten it in one on my tries for Trial 100 but I don't really remember anymore.

edit: OK that was it...I did Luminescence in Trial 100 in a failed attempt so it wasn't registered in the save file. I'm now rank Order of Ambrosia <3

Zakalwe

Banned
Oh, so I have to unlock the licence and then find and buy the skill/item the license is for?

EDIT: Yes, found out a few minutes later. :p

I know I'm way LTTP here, but being able to speed up time with the press of L1 is such an amazing feature.

Spocker

Carrot refuses to reveal itself...! I'm getting quite annoyed.

You're not allowed to attack any enemies from the time you set foot in the forest until you reach him, otherwise he wont show. Zone from mosphoran highwaste and keep running with r2 held down (fleeing) until you reach him.

Top Bottom