• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Meowster

omg.. that Trial 100 round was probably the toughest part of the entire game. Possibly the whole series. I totally cheesed my way through it by having a bunch of Elixirs and spamming Zodiark until it was just down to two of them. Then it took forever.. for they had elixirs too. Feeling myself rn.

Alucrid

Banned
trophy artwork for this game is great, minus penello being the platinum. hope they go with stuff like this in the future instead of XV's shitty ones

Vashetti

Banned
omg.. that Trial 100 round was probably the toughest part of the entire game. Possibly the whole series. I totally cheesed my way through it by having a bunch of Elixirs and spamming Zodiark until it was just down to two of them. Then it took forever.. for they had elixirs too. Feeling myself rn.

I can only get Ghis down with a Dark Matter and Zodiark combo, but the others heal Drace before I can get her down.

Any tips?

RPGCrazied

*Wanders into Necrohol of Nabudis*

"Ooh this place looks mysterious. Bet there's something good here~"

*Takes one step. Trap ko's two party members*
*Takes another step. Trap drains everyone's mp*
*Takes- TRAP*

"...Nope."

Hahah, Libra is your friend.

And yeah, I still can't go in there, get wrecked. I'm only like level 41 with characters.

Meowster

I can only get Ghis down with a Dark Matter and Zodiark combo, but the others heal Drace before I can get her down.

Any tips?
Okay.. so... like I did target Ghis as much as possible. Everyone else would target him while Vaan used Zodiark's ultimate attack. Someone would throw an Elixir at Vaan, repeat attack, and do the cycle over and over. I managed to get Ghis down after the first or second Zodiark. This next part is tricky - because of the judges having Elixirs at their disposal, the only surefire way to beat Drace and Bergan (without being lucky) is to inflict Disease on them. I was lucky and had two meteorites and did that. When you are down to the last two, cast sleep on Zargabaath and pummel everything you have on Gabranth. Be sure to use Addle and technicks like that to bring down his immense strength and defense. Keep sleep on Zargabaath and you should be in the clear.

Vashetti

Banned
Okay.. so... like I did target Ghis as much as possible. Everyone else would target him while Vaan used Zodiark's ultimate attack. Someone would throw an Elixir at Vaan, repeat attack, and do the cycle over and over. I managed to get Ghis down after the first or second Zodiark. This next part is tricky - because of the judges having Elixirs at their disposal, the only surefire way to beat Drace and Bergan (without being lucky) is to inflict Disease on them. I was lucky and had two meteorites and did that. When you are down to the last two, cast sleep on Zargabaath and pummel everything you have on Gabranth. Be sure to use Addle and technicks like that to bring down his immense strength and defense. Keep sleep on Zargabaath and you should be in the clear.

Hmm, don't think I have meteorites

Thanks for the advice though!

Jolkien

Any tips?

Use Nihopaloa and remedy them with someone remedy 3, they'll get diseased, so no more healing from them (or you can use a Serum, but Remedy afflict them with so much more)

Vashetti

Banned
Use Nihopaloa and remedy them with someone remedy 3, they'll get diseased, so no more healing from them (or you can use a Serum, but Remedy afflict them with so much more)

Don't have one of them either lol

Just sucks I have the autosave for the 100th Trial but it's looking like I'm going to have to give it up to farm stuff from the main game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Just sucks I have the autosave for the 100th Trial but it's looking like I'm going to have to give it up to farm stuff from the main game.
Off to Henne Mines with ya

Ydelnae

I just finished the game since I got bored of doing hunts while keeping
Reddas as a party member
and ventured into the Pharos (I thought it was some optional path for the dungeon since it overstayed its welcome).

I disliked the events at the top of the Pharos. I feel like Gabranth had so much more to say and the scene in which he surprises the party cames off as unimportant, Basch doesn't even react to seeing his brother. I thought Cid was a good character, he certainly was interesting but his final moments could have used a bit less of his crazy side and more of his 'human' traits. I like the concept of Dr. Cid going mad over the years from learning about the true nature of the world and interacting with Venat, but the whole "and now I'm a god!" thing caught me off-guard, I'm not fond of it. Reddas' revelation as Zecht was surprising and I really liked that character. Now, the actual ending arc at the Bahamut was amazing except Vayne's involvement. Him sacrificing his image and transforming into a monster by using the nethicite felt weird, as I kept picturing a scenario in which he won the battle and then Archadia was ruled by this muscled-up long haired ape and the citizens seemingly being ok with that lol His fusion with Venat wasn't necessary at all and I thought that the final boss would be the remaining Occuria trying to get revenge on Ashe for freeing humanity of their chains.

Gabranth's sacrifice felt like a good way to finish his arc and I finally understood how he acts as the logo for the game. He represents the main themes that are developed within the game: survival, revenge and redemption. While I think he should have been given more exposition, I actually liked his character and I loved how he didn't need some weird transformation or over the top death scene to be sent off: he just dies in the back of the Strahl while holding his brother's hand. I have to say that Basch' role in the epilogue felt unsatisfying for me, since I don't think the character deserved to keep the facade going and I expected the truth about the Raminas assasination to be made public, but I understand why the writers decided to end their story the way they did. I actually thought the epilogue was nice, even if it kinda came out of nowhere. For a game that spends so much time building up this political conflict and the actual state of the world, all we get at the ending is some "and the world was at peace, now on more important matters: PENELO". We don't even get to see what happens with Rozarria and Archadia, why wasn't there another Ondore narration at the end of the game? Anyway, at least they did a proper send off of the main characters in a way that I would not have minded if they continued the story with a Season 2 of some kind.

Overall, I don't know where to put this on my FF ranking. The first half is up there with my favorite games in the franchise, but the second half seriously hurted my feelings towards the game. The story should have picked up before reaching Archades and kept the momentum going all the way to the finale, I kept praying that the plot didn't go FFXV and well, it happened. On the other hand, I liked the gameplay, the world of Ivalice and the characters (I didn't expect to actually like Larsa and I have to admit that I'm even fond of Penelo after the ending). Now I will try to keep playing and complete the hunts, get all the remaining Espers and stuff, but I don't think I have the patience to go for the Platinum, thinking of going through all those maps again is already a pain.

Xevren

I honestly have no idea what I would have done without a Niho, even with it the fight is still incredibly difficult it just makes it more possible.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
As much as there's a lot of post-game/side-quest content in this game, heck it might have the most post-game/side-quest in the entire FF series, it can get incredibly tedious because there's a lot of RNG elements when it comes to hunting and collecting certain treasures.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Alright. Got all the spells, techniques, and espers now. Gotta kill omega, hell wyrm then yiazmat before I travel the world to complete my bestiary and map :/

Jolkien

Alright. Got all the spells, techniques, and espers now. Gotta kill omega, hell wyrm then yiazmat before I travel the world to complete my bestiary and map :/

Unless you want to, you don't have to kill Omega in the normal game you can grab it's entry on floor 99.

Anyone got issues with trophies not popping ? I defeated carrot and got the canopic jar and nothing pops..

Édit : actually, i am also missing 2 story related trophies.. i think my save is all messed up Fuck

Kazer

The only trophy left is the bestiary.. I'm already dreading looking for these rare monsters.

Just got the plat and the rares weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. The ones that annoyed me the most were ones that only spawn when the game timer is between specific minutes.

Some of the Esper gaps on the license boards are wild. Why sure I want to give Chaos to my Bushi so she can learn Brawler, which is both a very good skill by itself and certainly something you'd want at the end game.

(Joke's on me, my Bushi and my Monk are the same character and she may as well pick up Esunaga and Protectga)

vix

Got three of the bows so far. The method suggested to me has worked three out of four times tried so far. I think the time it didn't work, I wasn't fully paying attention to the numbers.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Also, does the attack power of katanas scale with magic power? The bushi board really wants me to boost Basch's magic, but I'm keeping him clad in heavy armor.

You are supposed to attack your party with it to give them the beneficial status effect.
Ahh. Understood.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any cheap ways to beat the Trial Mode, especially the last floor? :p

Atlantis

Also, does the attack power of katanas scale with magic power? The bushi board really wants me to boost Basch's magic, but I'm keeping him clad in heavy armor.

Ahh. Understood.

Yes, they scale with Magick Power as well as Strength. Strength adds more damage point per point however.

I disliked the events at the top of the Pharos. I feel like Gabranth had so much more to say and the scene in which he surprises the party cames off as unimportant, Basch doesn't even react to seeing his brother. I thought Cid was a good character, he certainly was interesting but his final moments could have used a bit less of his crazy side and more of his 'human' traits. I like the concept of Dr. Cid going mad over the years from learning about the true nature of the world and interacting with Venat, but the whole "and now I'm a god!" thing caught me off-guard, I'm not fond of it. Reddas' revelation as Zecht was surprising and I really liked that character. Now, the actual ending arc at the Bahamut was amazing except Vayne's involvement. Him sacrificing his image and transforming into a monster by using the nethicite felt weird, as I kept picturing a scenario in which he won the battle and then Archadia was ruled by this muscled-up long haired ape and the citizens seemingly being ok with that lol His fusion with Venat wasn't necessary at all and I thought that the final boss would be the remaining Occuria trying to get revenge on Ashe for freeing humanity of their chains.
I really like Cid in this, but I agree that I wanted to see a bit more of the less-crazy side at the end. I have a love-hate relationship with how subtle and downplayed they keep his Cid's own relationship with Balthier. It is VERY toned down compared to how most media would handle it. They hardly even acknowledge it in conversations with each other. I do like Cid's final words to Balthier though. "Fool of a pirate"

As for Vayne's ending, overall I think I liked it. As a villain, he was not nearly fleshed out as much as he should have been. But I was impressed that he wasn't a 100% cold dick. In his last moments, he remembered Cid, his partner, saying he wonders what Cid would think about what they've done (or something along the lines of it). And he even had enough in him to tell Venat that he was sorry he failed her. And then I loved Venat not being some puppeteer, and showing she actually cared back. "You won't walk this path alone" before she joins with him.

But overall, Final Fantasy XII is still probably in the middle-to-low range for me in Final Fantasy games.

Yeah... it's a bit of a complicated, scaling formula but short version is that +1 Magic or +1 Strength both increase damage by similar amounts.

Technically Magic gives you a slight amount more damage per 1 extra point, but it's marginal and it also its advantage over Strength has diminishing returns as you level-up (because of the weighting the formula gives character level and weapon Attack). Hammers and Axes with Vitality, and Daggers and Ninja Swords with Speed are the same weight, but respectively weight even slightly more to their alternative stat at Lv1 but reduce the the same diminished returns as Katanas by Lv99.

I delved into it a lot more over a week ago if you want to read it here (formula anaylsis), but short answer is they're close enough that you'd always favour whichever one gives you more. E.g. 5 Strength over 4 Magic, and though 4 Magic is very slightly better than 4 Strength, it's so marginal and diminishing that any other benefits (e.g. Defense) likely outweigh it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yes, they scale with Magick Power as well as Strength. Strength adds more damage point per point however.

Yeah... it's a bit of a complicated, scaling formula but short version is that +1 Magic or +1 Strength both increase damage by similar amounts.

Technically Magic gives you a slight amount more damage per 1 extra point, but it's marginal and it also its advantage over Strength has diminishing returns as you level-up (because of the weighting the formula gives character level and weapon Attack). Hammers and Axes with Vitality, and Daggers and Ninja Swords with Speed are the same weight, but respectively weight even slightly more to their alternative stat at Lv1 but reduce the the same diminished returns as Katanas by Lv99.

I delved into it a lot more over a week ago if you want to read it here (formula anaylsis), but short answer is they're close enough that you'd always favour whichever one gives you more. E.g. 5 Strength over 4 Magic, and though 4 Magic is very slightly better than 4 Strength, it's so marginal and diminishing that any other benefits (e.g. Defense) likely outweigh it.
Thank you!

By the way, Measures usually give pretty good Evasion of 35, so every Measure alone is better than any shield in the game sold my stores and better evasion than all but 2 shields (one you don't get until the final story dungeon; the other a very rare endgame shield). So, Measure will have a higher evasion than any pure sword+shield user basically until the last dungeon.

SHI with a Main Gauche dagger is still top tank and a pretty popular choice is. a SHI+RDM is a pretty awesome self-healing tank; well, a MCN+RDM in theory should be pretty decent tank, too. MCN has same Item Lores for Critical HP but Cura for the bulk of your self-healing.

A lot of people like to pair MCN with Mages, and I'm not sure they're ever optimal as I'm fond of pairing BLM with either RDM or WHM just for Staves and some extra DPS (or Staff of the Magi for Holy/Fire Staff for Ardor)

But technically on something like a RDM+MCN, it could be more useful to go with a Measure + Shield than a Mace + Shield or a Gun simply because the Measure and Shield are going to give you pretty decent evasion. Much of the story shields will be 15-25 EVA so with a Measure you're going to have 50-60 EVA which is pretty high, really. Even on a MCN/WHM, a lot of Rods aren't that great IMO so even just a Measure giving you 35 EVA ain't that bad.

The thing I've always disliked is I've never found a good Gambit for using them for self-buffing. Sadly the Elemental Effects don't boost damage though I've never tested it personally. But TBH despite how old the game is though, I've never tried a Measure with a Nihopalaoa. It only works on items that have clear opposites so most Measures shouldn't work with it, but I actually have no idea of Nihopalaoa + Caliper Measure (which normally gives Haste) will put Slow on enemies. I doubt it since it's supposed to affect only items though. Either way, sort of besides the point.

Even then, at the very least a MCN/RDM Measure +Shield wearing Cura spamming tank could be a fun alternative to a SHI/RDM Main Gauche tank. And if you get bored at endgame you can always switch to the Cudgel which procs Sap and Disease at 100%.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Unless you want to, you don't have to kill Omega in the normal game you can grab it's entry on floor 99.

Nah its alright. Im all level 99 and have 3 of the zodiac bows, makes the battle easy as pie lol
Ive beaten this game, including the IZJS version too many times -,-''''

Netto-kun

Yes, finally finished that trial 100 and got the platinum. Probably one of few fights where I spent most of the time playing at normal speed rather than 2x or 4x (until they were down to 2 and did < 200 damage on my characters). Now for a short gaming break before I jump to another RPG starting next week.

Edit: Maybe I'll go back later to platinum some other RPGs since I am pretty close with those as well.

Opa-Pa

Started this yesterday really excited as I loved what little I played of the original back in the day (up to the part with the battery mimics) but never had the chance to revisit it. I also just beat Tactics for the first time last week, so what better time than now, right?

And well, wow, I remember this game being gorgeous and having a great sense of scale, but the remaster is so damn beautiful. And boy, the job system is a joy... It did give me a pretty hard time though as I spent literally three hours researching to decide what jobs to give to everyone once Balthier and Fran joined lol.

Anyway! About jobs... I'm in kind of a predicament. I was very sure that I wanted Fran to be a Foebreaker once I got her second board (she's a machinist), but once I noticed monks have access to wither and expose I started ro question just how useful it would really be as a second job, instead of, say, Red Battlemage? I tried looking for other jobs that had access to the remaining breaks but I'm having trouble with that.

So yeah, what other jobs have access to addle and shear? I have access to Black Mage, White Mage, Monk, Bushi, Knight, Uhlan, Time Battlemage, Machinist and Shikari. And even if none do, is it really worth it to make my machinist Fran a foebreaker just for those?

I'm back in Ravanastre after getting access to the second boards but I don't want to keep playing until I can settle this, so any help would be greatly appreciated haha.

Shahed

My Fran has Addle and Shear. She's a RDM/ARC. I'm not fully sure which side gives her Addle/Shear, but if I had to guess I'd say Archer

Netto-kun

So yeah, what other jobs have access to addle and shear? I have access to Black Mage, White Mage, Monk, Bushi, Knight, Uhlan, Time Battlemage, Machinist and Shikari.
Archer and Time Battlemage get Addle and Shear where the latter job requires an Esper license. Uhlan gets Wither and Expose but also needs Esper licenses.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is there a good checklist for rare game? Just struck me that I killed quite a few in the trials so I can't trust the bestiary.

Try this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/42703

And yes kills in the Trial mode count for bestiary purposes, which is nice as it allows you to skip certain quests. e.g. no need to hunt Earth Tyrant.

The faq below contains a listing for every floor of the trial mode, secret mobs and how to spawn them, and all possible drops and collectibles.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/faqs/63057

Have at it :D

Try this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/42703

And yes kills in the Trial mode count for bestiary purposes, which is nice as it allows you to skip certain quests. e.g. no need to hunt Earth Tyrant.

The faq below contains a listing for every floor of the trial mode, secret mobs and how to spawn them, and all possible drops and collectibles.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/faqs/63057

Have at it :D
Really? Thought I saw someone say they never got the trophy and had to run around for some rares he they had already killed in trial mode.

Tambini

Got pretty sick of doing the end game stuff when all I'm doing is following a guide to steal the rare items i'd have no idea were there otherwise, just gonna finish the game now

Rizzi

The white mousse hunt kicked the shit out of me. Some indication of the level of the monster in a hunt would be nice.

Played 10 more hours this weekend (I'm only playing FFXII on weekends by the afternoon). Lvl 30 on every character, got Adrammelecht (at lvl 25 with Larsa) and Zalera! :D (already had Belias).

Now to the gates of Stillshrine of Miriam!

But I won't be playing again until Saturday. The game is as or more awesome than I remembered, and there's more story than I thought.

Is there any succinct summary of which items are best to unlock from the hunters shop in Phon Coast? I don't want to miss out on any end game armor or accessories.

AndersK

The white mousse hunt kicked the shit out of me. Some indication of the level of the monster in a hunt would be nice.

The best you have is the Marks rank. Mousse is rank V, with the other marks until now being I. Why they decided to throw that at you so early, only min/maxers know.

Top Bottom