• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

ApharmdX

Banned
Got a copy of this today and I'm excited to play through the game again with the changes. Is there a consensus list of canon jobs? I've searched and different sources online are saying different things.

Korezo

Anyone got a link to attainable items on all trial floors?
And should I put my 3 quickings for shik/foe on iga blade, koga blade, and darkblade/mesa?

Bluenoser

Thank you!

So about the Mimic Queen. So the vendor in the dungeon definetly does not sell Blizzard lol. Havent tried fighting her yet so im not sure if I even need it but what else should I try to have before taking her on? Any abilities or than Blizzard?

AFAIK Blizzard is only available from the merchant at the south bank in Estersand. You could have gone here before going to the castle, but too late now- you can grab it after mimic queen. Honestly the boss can be defeated pretty easily just with melee. Ignore the small bugs and focus on the main boss.

I don't know if this has been asked before but i have been wondering which Job combo would be best. Or which job is most "useless", Machinist or Uhlan?

I made Balthier White Mage and was thinking of making him a Machinist like many have suggested. I made Fran Archer (+ red mage in the future) and Penolo is also white mage (maybe time mage in the future).

Then I heard Zodiac Spear can only be used by Uhlan, so should I try to squeeze it in? For example would White Mage + Uhlan or Archer + Uhlan be ok? Better than White Mage + Machinist or Archer + Red Mage?

So yes I kind of messed up and there will be 1 job left out. Or does it really matter that much and am I really just overthinking?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Just beat the level where you meet Basch as a guest. Story question:
Balthier seems to believe Basch's twin brother story without much issue. Does he have a reason to or is it just bad writing?

iosefe

I don't know if this has been asked before but i have been wondering which Job combo would be best. Or which job is most "useless", Machinist or Uhlan?

I made Balthier White Mage and was thinking of making him a Machinist like many have suggested. I made Fran Archer (+ red mage in the future) and Penolo is also white mage (maybe time mage in the future).

Then I heard Zodiac Spear can only be used by Uhlan, so should I try to squeeze it in? For example would White Mage + Uhlan or Archer + Uhlan be ok? Better than White Mage + Machinist or Archer + Red Mage?

So yes I kind of messed up and there will be 1 job left out. Or does it really matter that much and am I really just overthinking?

Machinist/White mage works to give the white mage damage. the guns ignore armor and keep the mage at a distance, and easier to keep aggro off.

Alucrid

Banned
doesn't really matter and zodiac spear ain't all that great to be honest

Balthier seems to believe Basch's twin brother story without much issue. Does he have a reason to or is it just bad writing?

i'm not sure if it's ever directly said but there's certainly a heavy implication as to why he might do that which you find out later on

Bluenoser

I'm going to mark a spoiler here that might answer your question, so read at your own risk.

Balthier used to be a judge. Basch's twin is a judge
. Basically Balthier knows a lot, so he would know if it seemed plausible or not.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
i'm not sure if it's ever directly said but there's certainly a heavy implication as to why he might do that which you find out later on

I'm going to mark a spoiler here that might answer your question, so read at your own risk.

Balthier used to be a judge. Basch's twin is a judge
. Basically Balthier knows a lot, so he would know if it seemed plausible or not.
Awesome, thank you!

(optional boss)
Hell Wyrm
defeated.
Damn how many life bars was that, seriously...and
Yiazmat
has more than 6 times the health? Ho boy...

Good thing we can get out and heal. Beat the boss on stage 50, I suppose that makes 49 times getting out.

SilentRob

Finished the game and I'm reaaaally happy for that fast-forward-button. I liked the game but it would have been too much of a slog for me otherwise. Ended up doing quite a few hunts (but not nearly all of them) and exploring here and there, took me 40 hours.

Fran, Vaan, and Balthier saw Basch talking to his twin brother, who wasn't wearing his helmet in the scene.

Finished the game and I'm reaaaally happy for that fast-forward-button. I liked the game but it would have been too much of a slog for me otherwise. Ended up doing quite a few hunts (but not nearly all of them) and exploring here and there, took me 40 hours.

Its an incredible feature, im very upset that the PS4 version of FFX doesnt have it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Did not see a response, not necessary but would love to see how quickly I can run through it

Google up (or search this thread) on how to procure 3 (or 6) relatively easy Seitengrat bows as early as right after returning to Rabanastre from Barheim Passage (the first time). Probably the most straightforward way to utterly break the game from the earliest hour possible.

Vashetti

Banned
I just arrived at Mt. Bur and I'm scared to progress and lose Larsa.

Team

36 - Vaan
29 - Balthier
30 - Fran
29 - Basch
29 - Ashe
30 - Penelo

36 - Larsa

What optional stuff is open to me at this point?

I've already explored the Salikawood and (mostly) the higher level areas of Barheim Passage.

I was thinking of opening up all the paths in Zertinan. I went in there through the Osmose Plains entrance and ran straight into Adrammelech. Nope'd out of there lol

Jolkien

Phew just got my platinum, took me 112 hours, I wonder how many more hours it would have taken if I didn't play some at 4x speed and the vast majority of the game at 2x.

Had a really great time with it. I liked it when it came out originally but not nearly as much as I loved it now. Finished it at level 77

kromeo

I just arrived at Mt. Bur and I'm scared to progress and lose Larsa.

Team

36 - Vaan
29 - Balthier
30 - Fran
29 - Basch
29 - Ashe
30 - Penelo

36 - Larsa

What optional stuff is open to me at this point?

I've already explored the Salikawood and (mostly) the higher level areas of Barheim Passage.

I was thinking of opening up all the paths in Zertinan. I went in there through the Osmose Plains entrance and ran straight into Adrammelech. Nope'd out of there lol

My guys are lv 23 at Bur Omisace and I already feel overleveled, have you been doing trials?

Vashetti

Banned
My guys are lv 23 at Bur Omisace and I already feel overleveled, have you been doing trials?

No I've just been running all over any location I can, stealing from everything, doing the hunts...

I played the game back when it came out and I used to love breaking it and being in areas you really shouldn't be at that point.

Corsick

I'm at the
Draklor Labs and the soldiers
are destroying me, I'm around level 36 and have 3300 hp on both my melee (Basch/Vaan) with Ashe healing. There's just so many at once, I also screwed up by equipping mirror armor and sold my other armors so I now have to use something really low level or else Curaja doesn't work properly. I might need to revert to another save.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm at the
are destroying me, I'm around level 36 and have 3300 hp on both my melee (Basch/Vaan) with Ashe healing. There's just so many at once, I also screwed up by equipping mirror armor and sold my other armors so I now have to use something really low level or else Curaja doesn't work properly. I might need to revert to another save.

Never sell gear.

kromeo

I'm at the

I remember the enemies starting to hit harder around then, maybe use decoy on someone with a shield when there's a lot of them. You can always just run past everything but the boss at the end is one of the harder story fights in the game

rocK`

Banned
Google up (or search this thread) on how to procure 3 (or 6) relatively easy Seitengrat bows as early as right after returning to Rabanastre from Barheim Passage (the first time). Probably the most straightforward way to utterly break the game from the earliest hour possible.

Sick! thanks. Going to do some research.

Corsick

I was also wondering, how many unique weapons/armor have I locked myself out of at this point
(Draklor Labs)
if I haven't made it a point to get any?

Meowster

It's really weird how guest characters have more development then over half the main party in this game.
I agree. Larsa and Reddas are both really well done characters and probably have the best development of the main characters in the game bar Ashe and (maybe) Vaan.

Aeana

Damn, seems one can't get Niholopoa as early now? Was looking to remedy some tough hunts...

You can get the nihopaloa as early as when you are able to pass through the magic barriers in Golmore Jungle.

3x leo gem (Wild Saurian in Estersand)
3x blood-stained necklaces (these drop from the undead in Adrammelech's room in Zertinan Caverns)
2x Death's head (clear the map just north of the entrance to Feywood in Golmore until skeletons start spawning, and those drop these)

Bluenoser

I was also wondering, how many unique weapons/armor have I locked myself out of at this point
(Draklor Labs)
if I haven't made it a point to get any?

None that I'm aware of - everything is attainable at some point. There are some loots that are easier to farm in some places than others, but nothing major.

ZangBa

I agree. Larsa and Reddas are both really well done characters and probably have the best development of the main characters in the game bar Ashe and (maybe) Vaan.

I don't think I can agree with Vaan.
When they return to Bhujerba after being prisoners, his purpose and involvement in the story is basically 0. It would have made a lot more sense if there was a scene between him and Balthier about him becoming an apprentice of some sort, which is likely what they were trying to go for anyway.

I don't know if we're spoiler tagging story stuff in here, but I did anyway.

Meowster

I don't think I can agree with Vaan.
When they return to Bhujerba after being prisoners, his purpose and involvement in the story is basically 0. It would have made a lot more sense if there was a scene between him and Balthier about him becoming an apprentice of some sort, which is likely what they were trying to go for anyway.

I don't know if we're spoiler tagging story stuff in here, but I did anyway.
I'd still say that Vaan had a personal development more than most of the other main characters though even if that only occurred in the first third of the game. Late game spoilers:
Also I would say that Vaan is necessary because without him, it's possible that Ashe wouldn't have had someone to relate to with the death of Rasler and very well could have chosen revenge with the Occuria had she not had him there.

Vic_Viper

AFAIK Blizzard is only available from the merchant at the south bank in Estersand. You could have gone here before going to the castle, but too late now- you can grab it after mimic queen. Honestly the boss can be defeated pretty easily just with melee. Ignore the small bugs and focus on the main boss.

After being super worried about the Mimic Queen boss I beat her in like 2 mins lol. Thanks for the tips, I probably was over leveled by the time I got to her. I wiped hard at the Firemane boss so I was kinda worried about this one.

Gunkankun

I just kept 2 shotting the small ones and the boss kept spawning more.. all he did.

Vic_Viper

Just got my first 100 Chain lol. Got over 120 LP in like 15 minutes!

Man this combat system is so much fun. It makes grinding especially soo much easier and actually not a giant pain in the ass lol. I can see how people might have not liked it at first, but after getting alil further in it has totally clicked. I wonder why more games havent tried a similar system.

Forgotten just how hard the game can get at times (Zertinan Caverns + the loooong trip through Ogir-Yensa Sandsea & Nam-Yensa Sandsea). Really an endurance test, after a while the MP pot just dries up and it's all about survival. Brought back memories to the time when I almost got to the save crystal at Nam-Yensa as you enter it and died on the last section of the map after just covering the entire map for Ogir-Yensa. Was so frustrating. Never got this auto-save back then and lost hours of game time. Probably the weakest music in the game for me as well (at Ogir-Yensa) which doesn't help things. Glad I'm now almost through it.

Top Bottom