• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age Trophies Appear

yayaba

This was the longest FF game I ever played (logged over 120 hours over the span of 7 months) when I got this over 10 years ago. Who knows how long it will take me to finish this game now but I am excited.

Same, I've never clocked over 100 hours in any non-MMO game before and this was the first and last to do it. I think I hit about 110 hours before I called it quits.

I'm psyched for this re-release. Only PS2 game I own now is my copy of FFXII and I've been itching to play it every now and then but never got around to it.

By the end of the game I had my gambits singing. No other FF game ever had me using any of the support spells to buff up my party like this game and it was awesome.

I'm on board day 1.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
how is that easier to get

THAT PLACE REQUIRES A PRINTED MAP AND A TEAM OF NAVY SEALS TO NAVIGATE

RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING.

But IIRC it makes the drops a bit higher so it's "easier" to get.

Lren

Really looking forward to this. Played the translated version of the Zodiac Job Edition a while back and found all the QoL changes to make the overall game better than it already was. Hope we hear of a release date soon!

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I don't like speed up, mostly because there are moments in JRPGs where you'd like to use such a feature and it changes the strat for levelling etc.

It looks stupid while it's happening too, and likely gametesters/designers will balance something around it (especially with this update).

Speed-up is why I didn't bother with ZJS and I wouldn't bother with this version if it has it. Here's hoping it doesn't. It's bad game design.
You could just as easily say that expecting the player to spend a majority of their game time fighting repetitive, unchallenging battles is bad game design.

Rad-

What jobs are good? Since there's no way to change them, right?

The game is pretty easy so every job can work. But I remember some combos worked well together. For example Red Mage and Monk. Those two can heal plenty enough together so no need for a White Mage.

Just don't give Balthier a gun and it's good (he has a slow animation with it so you lose dps).

shark sandwich

What jobs are good? Since there's no way to change them, right?
I went with breaker, monk, samurai, white mage, black mage, time mage on my last play through.

Out of the 3 physical classes I chose, breaker was by far the best IMO. Very high (albeit random) damage, ability to equip shields, and all the "break" abilities.

I used breaker, white mage, time mage for 95% of the time. A lot of people dislike time mage but I loved mine. They can equip heavy armor and crossbows, so they put out decent damage while keeping your party perma-hasted. White mage is great for perma-bubble/regen/protect/shell and can do some really good gamage with drain.

SirNinja

Do we know if this game is going to have dual audio?

Of every game ever made, this is arguably the one that least needs dual audio; the outstanding localization is still in a class of its own, all these years later.

So of course, yes, it has it.

mieumieu

Is there a trophy for turning off inverted axis? Please?

"The maze is not for you. It is for the devs"

I don't like speed up, mostly because there are moments in JRPGs where you'd like to use such a feature and it changes the strat for levelling etc.

It looks stupid while it's happening too, and likely gametesters/designers will balance something around it (especially with this update).

Speed-up is why I didn't bother with ZJS and I wouldn't bother with this version if it has it. Here's hoping it doesn't. It's bad game design.

Then dont use it. The game is not designed around it so why is it bad game design. I suspect FFX HD on PC is a bad game also because it has speed up!

Your words don't make any sense. Just look at them yourself!

Izuna

Banned
It has it we have seen the game running on PS4 using it. Sorry to dash you hopes away.
Proof: https://youtu.be/ik8VZjU9dYg?t=2m57s

Ah well.

~~

for those saying "it's optional"

That's the same argument was "Doom is more fun if you don't cheese with Siege+DS". This new version will definitely be designed around its use and it's a mechanic that ruins it for me.

It's okay, I was just posting my opinion. It's a shame it's in all the PC vers. etc. I was SUPER hyped for the fantranslation of ZJS and it ruined it there too -- it looks stupid and it's illogical not use.

Still, dope af game and everyone who passed up on it should try it.

Anoxida

Of every game ever made, this is arguably the one that least needs dual audio; the outstanding localization is still in a class of its own, all these years later.

So of course, yes, it has it.

I agree with this. The voice acting in FFXII is unmatched not just for localization but games in general. I think TLoU comes close. Consensus is that english VA is very much superior to the JAP.

mieumieu

Ah well.

~~

That's the same argument was "Doom is more fun if you don't cheese with Siege+DS". This new version will definitely be designed around its use and it's a mechanic that ruins it for me.

It's okay, I was just posting my opinion. It's a shame it's in all the PC vers. etc. I was SUPER hyped for the fantranslation of ZJS and it ruined it there too -- it looks stupid and it's illogical not use.

The game is NOT designed around it. IZJS costs less time to grind even without speed up. You are the one being illogical for passing up a great game because of one stupid reason.

But anyway it just seems you are set in your ways so I will stop now.

sphinx

the piano man
anyone else played Revenant Wings on DS but not this??

I absolutely adored that game but never played FFXII cause I never had a PS2 but know I own a PS4 so maybe I should jump in.

TheSeks

It's okay, I was just posting my opinion. It's a shame it's in all the PC vers. etc. I was SUPER hyped for the fantranslation of ZJS and it ruined it there too -- it looks stupid and it's illogical not use..

So, unbind (on PC) the L1 button. Don't use the fast-forward ever.

BAM, you have your FF12: Non-International: Zodiac Job System HD, then.

Ah well.

~~

I like how you put "optional" in quotes when the speedup is indeed optional...

kenta

Has no PEINS
Just curious: How would one go about proving/disproving this assumption to you? You're completely writing this release off based on zero actual evidence that the game has been rebalanced around the fast-forward option. This seems odd, so I'm just trying to understand what it would take for you to be convinced otherwise

Prototype

I hoped they would have changed the job system somehow, like giving the ability to jump to another job board after you fill one. That's the biggest negative I had against IZJS (you fill one job board way too fast, like around mid game, and then you have nothing to look forward to anymore level up wise).
Ya I played on PC emulator a while back and was kind of let down by the Zodiac Job System. Especially after hearing it be hyped up for years. Just felt super restrictive and filled in the boards way too soon. Also hated having to switch characters because I hate half the cast.

shark sandwich

Planning on going:

Ashe - White Mage
Vaan - Time Mage
Basch - Knight

Undecided for the others, what do you think?
Breaker? Breaks are super useful against bosses/hunts, and that is just a very powerful class overall.

Other than that, get at least one character who can wear light armor, like hunter, monk, or archer.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ah well.

~~

I suppose you also have a harsh stance against games that allow cutscene skip as well?

anyone else played Revenant Wings on DS but not this??

I absolutely adored that game but never played FFXII cause I never had a PS2 but know I own a PS4 so maybe I should jump in.

I played Revenant Wings years before I gave FFXII a shot. Neat little game, I replay it quite often. And yes, you should absolutely try XII, one of the all time greats imo.

Rad-

Also hated having to switch characters because I hate half the cast.

You don't really have to switch characters in IZJS if you don't want to. I did one playthrough using only 3 characters. I also hate half the cast lol. In that playthrough I only used Balthier, Basch and Ashe so basically everyone that I liked.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You don't really have to switch characters in IZJS if you don't want to. I did one playthrough using only 3 characters. I also hate half the cast lol. In that playthrough I only used Balthier, Basch and Ashe so basically everyone that I liked.

This. A player can simply do 1 white mage and 2 melee. The non-optional stuff in XII is easy 90% of the time.

Hell XII lets you use just 1 or 2 characters if someone really hates the cast that much. You can turn it into Vagrant Story lol. Minus the weird weapon mechanics.

I must have been super bad at this game, I remember the middle beign quite difficult and had to grind to beat some bosses, even regular enemies were tough in some places.

Everything started to get serious with Tiamat in Golmore Jungle for me, after that there were a couple of though hours and grinding. The last 25% of the game was easy but I was probably overleveled.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Everything started to get serious with Tiamat in Golmore Jungle for me

Tiamat isn't in the jungle. You might be thinking of that one that releases spores and can completely destroy your party by inflicting like 4 or 5 different status effects simultaneously lol. Its name is Elder Wyrm and it is totally optional.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ya I played on PC emulator a while back and was kind of let down by the Zodiac Job System. Especially after hearing it be hyped up for years. Just felt super restrictive and filled in the boards way too soon. Also hated having to switch characters because I hate half the cast.

That's what I feared. What I've always disliked about IZJS.

Come on job change. I can't see any reason not to have it?

Alej

Banned

Because you have to choose then.

Why people hates permanent choices? I can't see any reason not to have some.

Then, devs can do whatever they want.

Tiamat isn't in the jungle. You might be thinking of that one that releases spores and can completely destroy your party by inflicting like 4 or 5 different status effects simultaneously lol. Its name is Elder Wyrm and it is totally optional.

Oh yeah that one! it was optional? I spent hs leveling to kill that fucker. :p

ZeroX03

Banned
Because you have to choose then.

Why people hates permanent choices? I can't see any reason not to have some.

Then, devs can do whatever they want.

Why do I hate permanent choice? Why wouldn't I more freedom in gameplay, the ability to experiment and not to be permanently locked out of stuff. Of course I'm going to hate arbitrary restrictions. It's not like it would break the game in any way, I just have to replay the damn game if I want to experience a different board.

It's a far cry from FF5 and the Bravely series where the classes are very flexible and that's the fun.

fvng

Are they cleaning up and improving textures for this remaster? Can we expect nifty extra visual enhancements with PS4 Pro?

TheSeks

So don't use a job.

Ta-dah: FFXII:Non-International License Board time.

Ourobolus

Banned
For reference, I went with

Vaan - Monk
Balthier - Red Mage
Fran - Hunter
Basch - Machinist
Ashe - Samurai
Penelo - Black Mage

And wrecked the game. You can get the second best gun in the game before Raithwall's Tomb if you don't mind a bit of grinding.

Top Bottom