• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Hype/Info Thread [New Battle Videos and Screenshots]

Thoraxes

Luthos said:
I assume that was Hope making an appearance in the trailer?
Yes. Kagari posted a picture a page or so back too.
Besides the fact that it's his weapon, he has his yellow motif and grey/white hair still, but looks older.

Droplet said:
5.png

That says five, right? Is that a mistranslation? Am I blind?
I'm pretty sure it's been stated or known a while back that this game is a 5-year timeskip.

Thoraxes

Oh I just noticed the official site says 3 year... WHAT IS GOING ON?
Also, the more I watch it, the more I love the desolation and bleakness of the world Lightning is in.

Fimbulvetr said:

It all seems like some distant mystery they only gave us glimpses into. Compounded by the fact that both Cocoon and Pulse have different accounts of the War of Transgression. Was it an actual war with ships attacking, or Cocoon just absorbing stuff into itself? Although I guess I know what happened in the end, I just want more specifics regarding what led up to it back in the day. I hope some more light is shed onto how Pulse was before it got messed up. To me its all kind of hard to visualize. Kind of wish Vanille and Fang had mentioned a bit more before the end.

Pooya

I suspect there is a bit of time traveling going on, as in Noel and Serah jump two years in future through that gate or something like that. (the Bresha Ruins we saw in the demo is two years in future, 2+3=5 -> my theory)

Thoraxes

miladesn said:
I suspect there is a bit of time traveling going on, as in Noel and Serah jump two years in future through that gate or something like that. (the Bresha Ruins we saw in the demo is two years in future, 2+3=5 -> my theory)
He mentions that they'll take them to Lightning if the go through them.
This is kinda getting interesting to be honest and what you said may happen..
Also the website does specifically mention Snow also to be missing in addition to Lightning now.

miladesn said:

So they're using the only plot device that could make this all more dumb?

Fimbulvetr said:
So they're using the only plot device that could make this all more dumb?
Don't worry, there are still a few plot devices they haven't used yet:
- brainwashing
- it was all a dream
- aliens
- creator god is evil

Rpgmonkey

Battle theme is pretty awesome.

Hope it's not abused to hell in nearly every trailer so I'm totally sick of it by time the game is actually out though.

Thoraxes

Rpgmonkey said:
Battle theme is pretty awesome.

Hope it's not abused to hell in nearly every trailer so I'm totally sick of it by time the game is actually out though.
There've been two far heard, the other one being the remixed Blinded By Light from XIII, though that could be a boss battle or something.

I'm really hoping they bring back Saber's Edge for this game. Hamauzu said himself it's the one truly unique track in the game in that it has substantial content in it, but zero of it is reused anywhere. That piece is so amazing.

DiipuSurotu said:
Don't worry, there are still a few plot devices they haven't used yet:
- brainwashing
- it was all a dream
- aliens
- creator god is evil

- Serah was actually killed when she fell and the rest of the game is just her dying dream.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My honest reaction to that trailer is that a lot of the cutscene stuff made me want to gag. I usually love sappy jRPG melodrama, but this rings false to me. A lot of empty-headed speeches. The game story itself could prove to be deeper than that, but my experience with XIII hype is that the game was more empty-headed than the trailers had implied... A lot of dramatic posturing about nothing....

I just think something hollow is coming out of Square Enix's attempt to "manufacture" drama. They presume melodramatic scenes and think of lazy ways to justify them.

I would love to be proven wrong with the final product. Great graphics anyway.

Thoraxes

Die Squirrel Die said:
- Serah was actually killed when she fell and the rest of the game is just her dying dream.
- Mog is actually the creator of the world, and decided he needed a place to play and friends to play with. It's all a computer simulation.

salromano

Took a screencap of Hope from the original file version of the trailer for better quality. Here he is, in all his boomerangy glory.

salromano said:
Took a screencap of Hope from the original file version of the trailer for better quality. Here he is, in all his boomerangy glory.

He looks like what I'd expect an HD Zexion would look like =/

Oddly, Jason Marsdon has the ability to make any dub sound a tad better than it otherwise would. Game still looks a mess though.

Thoraxes said:
I'm really hoping they bring back Saber's Edge for this game. Hamauzu said himself it's the one truly unique track in the game in that it has substantial content in it, but zero of it is reused anywhere. That piece is so amazing.

What do you mean by that? Love that track.

Thoraxes

Hanningfield said:
What do you mean by that? Love that track.
I'll try to keep this as simple as possible without going into any hardcore music theory.

Basically in music we have different categoriaztions of how material is used in a piece. In every piece, there are ways to split music into larger sections (think like 30 seconds or 16 bars) and ways to split them into sections, whether that be by repetition or by ways to reuse and incorporate ideas we put into music. Sometimes they're called theme groups, expositions, episodes, etc.

Basically what my statement means is that there's enough variety and actual music in the piece and it develops enough based on what it states to become an entire function on its own without relying on other pieces in the soundtrack to make it stand on its own, nor is any of it used anywhere else in the whole soundtrack.

Kind of like to compare it to stew. There's a lot of things (motives, themes, solo passages) that make up a stew, but if you take away enough (motives, themes, solo passages) ingredients, it becomes like a soup, broth, or stock (a different piece entirely).

The piece doesn't need any of the other leitmotifs that permeate the soundtrack to even be considered legitimate.

Also, there are big differences between ambient/electronic pieces, and actual pieces with melody and development (though they can have similarities).

Beth Cyra

I almost feel kinda bad. I watch the trailer and while Noel makes me want to punch a cat, being with Fang, Lightning and Sazh makes me want to say this will probably be my game of the year.....then I remember that Extreme Vs comes out at the same time so not only will this not be my game of the year I will probably drop kick this thing into the old Backlog until after the English version is out.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nice trailer. The cutscenes are the usual drivel but the gameplay parts look fun (aside from the unnecessary QTEs, which are unfortunately seeming to be frequent ).

Ploid 3.0

11w5ant.jpg

Yuna with Squall face? (lol)

Remember that thread about the best moogles in a ff game? This would be the worst moogle. The moogles here look so weird.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
toleoring said:
it feels like the graphic is way behind 13-1 after seeing the 1080p video........am I blind?
Even though the video basically is 1080p, it'll still look much crisper and better in reality. I can still see tons of artifacts in these videos.

Thoraxes

toleoring said:
it feels like the graphic is way behind 13-1 after seeing the 1080p video........am I blind?
Judging by the giant "A button" prompts... I'm guessing it was from the 360 version.
However it may be that overlay thing or something like they did with screens a while ago.
Also, 1080p video from an already upscaled 720p video probably wouldn't look nice.

Someone who's actually had hands-on with it should know more than me though i'd assume.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thoraxes said:
Judging by the giant "A button" prompts... I'm guessing it was from the 360 version.
However it may be that overlay thing or something like they did with screens a while ago.
Also, 1080p video from an already upscaled 720p video probably wouldn't look nice.

Someone who's actually had hands-on with it should know more than me though i'd assume.

The trailer uses a mix of both, apparently, but S-E did overlays for the E3 trailer according to Beyond3D forums, and recent screens, so it wouldn't be surprising if they did it here for easier editing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kinda curious how big the game is now. Wasn't FFXIII 38GB on the PS3? I'm expecting much less than that like... 18GB.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ULTROS! said:
Kinda curious how big the game is now. Wasn't FFXIII 38GB on the PS3? I'm expecting much less than that like... 18GB.

You might know this, but how big was Star Ocean 4 in file size?

It'll probably be much smaller than FF XIII in terms of files size.

I think it'll be like FF X-2, just some CGs, but much less than the standards of the main series.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
You might know this, but how big was Star Ocean 4 in file size?

Star Ocean 4 International is more-or-less 22GB.
Star Ocean 4 360 is 17.1GB based on the full install.

Though SO4 has 2-3 CG cut scenes, lower resolutions (1024x720 in field, 930x512 in battle as opposed to FFXIII's 720p all around and 1080p for CG Cutscenes), but has way more content than FFXIII.

jackdoe

TruePrime said:
I almost feel kinda bad. I watch the trailer and while Noel makes me want to punch a cat, being with Fang, Lightning and Sazh makes me want to say this will probably be my game of the year.....then I remember that Extreme Vs comes out at the same time so not only will this not be my game of the year I will probably drop kick this thing into the old Backlog until after the English version is out.
Haha. Serah makes me want to punch a cat. Anyway, a large part of me says not to get this game because I disliked the first, but the sadist in me says that the graphics look so pretty and just take the pain like a man.

Beth Cyra

jackdoe said:
Haha. Serah makes me want to punch a cat. Anyway, a large part of me says not to get this game because I disliked the first, but the sadist in me says that the graphics look so pretty and just take the pain like a man.
Wasn't a fan of Serah, but I would prefer her over the new douche who looks like Yuna.

Honeslty though I much rather Serah be off with Snow and leading a happy life and have the game be all about Lightning and her new badass armor.

Thoraxes

Kagari said:
The trailer uses a mix of both, apparently, but S-E did overlays for the E3 trailer according to Beyond3D forums, and recent screens, so it wouldn't be surprising if they did it here for easier editing.
Sounds about par for the course for how this was probably done. Thanks for the reply!

Top Bottom